Rockman 9 - Collected info & rumors

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
They never ended anything in MM8 aside from the close of the game. People have been begging for a MM9 tie-in game for years since the series just up and stopped. At least in X and Zero we have something remotely close to an ending rather than just "Megaman beats Wily... again."

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
The only real Tie-in we have is Zero to ZX, where it's explained. But we want to know what brought about X, and we want to play the elf wars. Yet capcom seems to disagree with letting us...

But of all of it, you're right. All that ever happened in the Original was that Megaman saves the day, for now... Until Wily does it again, that is...

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Tcatomon;61686 said:
They never ended anything in MM8 aside from the close of the game.

Well then, we have a problem. a HUGE, GARGANTUAN, SUPER-ULTRA-HUMONGO-GINORMOUS problem. Everyone hates cliffhangers if they last 10 years. I'm surprised no one's set a building on fire yet.

Tcatomon

We've already established the "problem".. that's WHY they're making MM9. I'm assuming they're hoping they'll be enough demand for this game that it'll convince Capcom for more of a tie-in. Personally I'm hoping there's enough interest they might work on an English release of the manga as they did with EXE.
Most fans have moved on.. the ones that are still around have been bugging for a "close" since MM8. I hear more people wanting a Legends 3 than a MM9 honestly. I'm impartial since I don't own a Wii, so quite frankly the only reason I'm keeping up is because of the story/timeline/history bit.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Tcatomon;61785 said:
We've already established the "problem".. that's WHY they're making MM9. I'm assuming they're hoping they'll be enough demand for this game that it'll convince Capcom for more of a tie-in. Personally I'm hoping there's enough interest they might work on an English release of the manga as they did with EXE.
Most fans have moved on.. the ones that are still around have been bugging for a "close" since MM8. I hear more people wanting a Legends 3 than a MM9 honestly. I'm impartial since I don't own a Wii, so quite frankly the only reason I'm keeping up is because of the story/timeline/history bit.

Well, of course a lot of people have gotten over it, but now that it's here, people will be in an uproar again. Expect publicity about it to go nowhere but up for the next 2 months.

You might not get what you expect, though... :p

Pluvius

Why would anyone want a tie in? The classic series has always done fine with its simple repeatable plot. No tie-ins mean more sequels.

Tcatomon

Pluvius;61848 said:
Why would anyone want a tie in? The classic series has always done fine with its simple repeatable plot. No tie-ins mean more sequels.

Fans want a tie in/ending just like they wanted to see Sigma finally bite the dust.
I'm assuming Capcom's thinking along the same lines.. no "ending" more games.

Pluvius

I have never wanted a tie-in, nor have any of the people I've known in the online community. The only people that want a tie-in, that I've seen, "typ lik dis".

Tcatomon

I want an ending.. and I've never typed like that ;p
I'd settle for more of foreshadowing like Powerbattle and Rockman & Forte did.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
I agree, ending it would be nice. There are some things that you just need closure on. Quite frankly, since they've got 8-bit sprites for X and Zero (I think... the Xtreme games were 8 bit, right?), they could even use those sprites for, if nothing else, foreshadowing. I mean, if this is just another 'magaman saves the day, all is well' kinda ending, I'm not gonna be too happy... At least a little bit of a teaser would be nice...

Pluvius

Tcatomon;61930 said:
I want an ending.. and I've never typed like that ;p
I'd settle for more of foreshadowing like Powerbattle and Rockman & Forte did.
All that foreshadowed was that Zero would fight X.

Role;61999 said:
There are some things that you just need closure on.
This isn't one of those. Or do you think Mario someday has to finally kill Bowser?

Tcatomon

Powerbattle didn't forshadow anything about Zero and X fighting (X5 did that, unless you count the Zero copies through X1 -4). X was sealed away right after his creation and the fighting wouldn't take place until after the X series.
It only showed Wily working on Zero with Wily laughing about how his new invention was going to beat out Megaman.
Fans want to know *what* happened to everyone between series.

Pluvius;62037 said:
Or do you think Mario someday has to finally kill Bowser?
Comparing an eight foot tall lizard in his prime to an old wrinkled human isn't exactly the same thing, either. We got an end to the X series, Zero series, and I'll asume someday the Legends and ZX series. Why should classic be any different? They can always have spin offs anytime, but knowing what happens between classic and X would be nice. (Zero series filled in most of the blanks between X and Z)

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Pluvius;62037 said:
All that foreshadowed was that Zero would fight X.

This isn't one of those. Or do you think Mario someday has to finally kill Bowser?
Does Mario have a timeline? No. Does Zelda? HELL no. Does megaman? YES. And that timeline actually has ended series before. So we need things that close one part and set up for the next. Zero did a good job with closing for ZX.

^ Actually Zelda does have a timeline (just not a painfully obvious one heres a hint though the games were made out of order, consider minish cap and OOT first).

On topic as a megaman fan I can honestly say I don't give a rats ass if they give me closure on this series, it will just be another predictable plot line but thats not why I loved megaman in the first place. Besides when you think about it we got some closure in the first X game when it was hinted that Dr Light etc died of old age.

The X series never got closure either remember it was left with X, Zero and Axl returning from the moon (Axl wounded with strange thing implanted in his chest) and without any more we just move onto the Zero series were the war was over and zero was shut down for 100 years.

My point is I think people are looking too deeply than is needed into this.

Tcatomon

Sigma was officially defeated though, that was enough closer for alot of people... including me.
Axl can remain dead or not, it really doesn't matter to me one way or another. He got hit in the head, not the chest. It broke the gem on his helmet.

^ I like how you changed the subject. Well whatever its down to peoples preferences whether they want dynamic stories or not. as for me I never really cared about story except for the later megaman games (Legends, EX, Starforce and the Zero/ZX series). The rest of the series had the story tacked on to the gameplay which is also fine because it was the gameplay that made it popular in the first place.

FYI please if thats closure then I could have finished playing the series at X2. (And don't forget X5 was wrapped up pretty nicely as well to be the last one but capcom just wanted more. In fact X7 and X8 heavily opens themselves up for more sequels that will probably never come thanks to sales).

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Vincentdante;62121 said:
^ Actually Zelda does have a timeline (just not a painfully obvious one heres a hint though the games were made out of order, consider minish cap and OOT first).

On topic as a megaman fan I can honestly say I don't give a rats ass if they give me closure on this series, it will just be another predictable plot line but thats not why I loved megaman in the first place. Besides when you think about it we got some closure in the first X game when it was hinted that Dr Light etc died of old age.

The X series never got closure either remember it was left with X, Zero and Axl returning from the moon (Axl wounded with strange thing implanted in his chest) and without any more we just move onto the Zero series were the war was over and zero was shut down for 100 years.

My point is I think people are looking too deeply than is needed into this.
Zelda with a timeline? Let's look here:

Zelda 1 --> Link's Adventure (END)
Link's Awakening (END)
Link to the Past (END)
Ocarina --> Majora's Mask (END)
Seasons <---> Ages (END)
Windwaker --> Minish? --> Hourglass?
Four Swords GBA ---> Four Swords Adventures?

Okay, show me how they're all connected, how it's all the same dude, etc. The lore and EVERYTHING has changed from game to game.

However... With Megman:

1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 5 --> 6 --> 7 --> 8 --> 9 -----> X1 --> X2 --> Xtreme --> X3 --> Xtreme2 --> X4 --> X5 --> X6 --> X7 --> X8 --> Command Mission -----> Z1 --> Z2 --> Z3 --> Z4 -----> ZX1 --> ZX2/A
(I, II, III, IV, V?, & Forte, & Forte 2 somewhere in there)

Hmm... comparing 'timelines', I'd say that Megaman's the one with a timeline, and not Zelda.

Anywho, notice how at the end of X8, you could SWEAR those are Panthenons? Beat it and watch the ending. You'll see. It shows it's getting really close to the elf wars.