Rockman 9 - Collected info & rumors

Crash And Burn

Yay 4 Spring!~
I hope Megaman 9 is on the PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii. Then owners of the consoles could play the game on the system(s) mentioned above

Tcatomon;61021 said:
I can't believe I'm saying this... I'm more psyched over the news of Diablo 3 than I am MM9. Maybe if it had been more along the lines of MM7 or MM8's graphics it would have pulled me in more.

I agree dude, I wish they would have used the more current sprites of megaman 8 than of the NES.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Wait, Diablo 3's been announced?! I don't own a new-gen console, but I have a PC! I'm gonna be all over that!

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
NikeGolfer;61022 said:
I hope Megaman 9 is on the PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii. Then owners of the consoles could play the game on the system(s) mentioned above

Since I'm getting kind of annoyed at telling half the internet.. YES it's more than likely for XBL, PSN and the already announced Wiiware >_>

I started up a new game of Diablo 1 and 2.. bought the battle chest a few years ago, but never really got around to playing it after I gave my borrowed CDs back XD;

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Maybe we should start a Diablo Topic in the proper forum?

Anywho, who's willing to bet they'll turn the new Robot Masters into Network Timeline bosses? I mean, Gemini Man became Gemini Spark, after all, so who's to say they won't do something similar with one of these?

Oh, another thing from over in AQS when I mentioned this... If Splash Woman's weapon is the Spash Kick, then I feel so sorry for Jewel Man... XD

New news has surfaced, according to this article here this game is slated as wiiware only and that any indication otherwise was a mistake. I don't know how reliable this is but news is news.

Saito Rockman

I think it's pretty reliable... of course, it could just mean that the game will get released on the Wii first (kind of like RE4).

In any case, over at Capcom-Unity, Capcom's own Seth Killian (aka "s-kill") has confirmed that "The Shadow" is indeed a real leaker, though, he is not a "beta tester" (this mostly only confirms that Blues will be playable...):

While I'm pretty certain about the source of a few Mega Man-related leaks (sorry leaker, given where the information goes, it was obvious), I can say absolutely the Shadow is not a beta tester. Someone who saw the game early, yes, but beta tester is a failed attempt to cover his (yes, his) real identity.

As Sven said, we don't have "beta testers" here.

Also, Rockman 9 appeared in the last Famitsu, here's the scan!
*There seems to be a lot of talking about the shadowy Rockman showed there. But I think it's nothing more than an enemy from one of the stages, as marshmallow man noted over at TMMN:
From the Nintendo Power article, "in Plug Man's stage you'll have to deal with shadowy Mega Man clones that emerge when you walk past certain walls." I hope we'll eventually get a more complete idea on why the shadowy Mega Man clones are emerging from certain walls, but I've little doubt that this is what the picture is depicting.

According to Famitsu, Rockman 9 will be released in September (2008) and it's subtitle is "The Ambition's Revival!!" (Yabou no Fukkatsu!!) that or "Revival of the Wild Ambition" like GoNintendo says...

Anyway, while I'm excited about the game, I can't shake the feeling this is a big step backwards (in presentation, storyline and maybe even in the Robot Masters designs (?)). Let's just hope the game is as good as the original NES ones!

Tcatomon

Saito Rockman;61420 said:
Anyway, while I'm excited about the game, I can't shake the feeling this is a big step backwards (in presentation, storyline and maybe even in the Robot Masters designs (?)). Let's just hope the game is as good as the original NES ones!

Second.

Honestly when Capcom dropped the ball on it being Wii-only my level of want went from "kinda want" to "screw this". I don't own a Wii for the simple matter there's nothing on it that interests me. If it had come to 360 I would have picked it up for the simple fact it's a Megaman game even if it ended up being terrible (Lets face it.. I still have my copy of X7 even though it's probably my least favourite in the whole genre). The step back to 8-bit was a let down even if old school fans are all "w00t" about it. I'm not an old school Megaman fan (I came in around X4), so to me this is crap. I'm not about to piss and moan about 8-bit, don't get me wrong, but with the technology we have today they could at least crank out something along the lines of MM7, which I actually liked better than 8. I mean.. they could even have done it like Zero/ZX and it'd be more visually appealing to me.

Yeah I agree I would have like to see something that looks like the later megaman games as well instead of 8-bit. It probably means any chance to see Bass again unless they 8-bitifie him is out the window :(.

Tcatomon

More than likely Forte will be in it. They already have 8-bit sprites of him from other games. http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Classic/Bass/
I wouldn't be surprised to see him as one of the playable characters.

I keep hearing rumors that Sony (and possibly Microsoft), don't want such a low-tech new game on their systems. Can anyone back me up on that?

Saito Rockman

So, GamesRadar seems to have gotten MegaMan 9-crazy, they have a little preview and an interview with Keiji Inafune!
You should definitly check both... even if just to get mad for the exclusion of charge shots and sliding (at least in the beginning... >_>).
Also, Keiji confirms my fears of having the designs of the Robot Masters being simplistic to fit with the 8-bit presentation (sure, there are a lot of cool RM from MM1-6 but I would have prefered the game to have RM in the MM7-8 style...)

And the story... Oh god, is someone suppoused to really believe Light is the one behind the Robot Masters!?
Man, even the story from the NES ones made more sense!

By the way, I have to say I hate how much talking there is about MM2. Sure, the game IS awesome but I've always prefered MM3 a lot more and Keiji loves to ignore that game (well, he did say in an interview he disliked the game because of the development but still).
Anyway, I hope in MM9 you'll get the ability to use charge shots and slide eventually, I really liked those!!

About Forte, he might not appear, since Capcom is trying to make the game as close as the originals as possible, as Keiji said, MM9 is being made with the idea of the game being made after MM1-2. Still, Forte better appear in the game, it wouldn't make any sense for him to just disappear (even if just for one game)...

Tcatomon;61456 said:
I keep hearing rumors that Sony (and possibly Microsoft), don't want such a low-tech new game on their systems. Can anyone back me up on that?
Well, Sony has never liked any 2D games to begin with and having a "NES game" like MM9 being released in the same console that has Metal Gear Solid 4 seems almost like an insult to Sony (as well as Microsoft).

Rein

The Mysterious Stranger
The only way I am getting this game is if the fight with Splash Woman is the best boss fight ever. For being the first female robot master, she better be the best.

Tcatomon

Saito Rockman;61476 said:

.... Just..... ..... wow. I honestly don't think I have anything to say about that. Instead it feels like Nega-Inafune got hold of the script and decided to forget everything that made the games complete and utter win. Did he lapse into amnesia and forget what he's done in the last 15 years? It just.. breaks my heart, honestly. This feels more like a mini-game/side quest than a full fledged Rockman title now. :/

Edit: Actually, I take that back.. it feels like a fanmade-sprite-based hack than a Rockman title.

^ What a lot of people seem to forget in the streams of time is that the Megaman series NEVER had interesting story lines. wikipedia makes them out to be more novel like than they actually are :p. I knew from the start it was going to be wily made 8 robots to try and take over the world but megaman stopped him. Not saying thats bad some of the best games still do things like that, look at Mario (oh noes the princess got kidnapped again) or Zelda (Ganons escaped again hurry up and save us link, well excuuuuse me princess *BRICKED*).

What is going to set this game apart from the rest is the same thing the previous games had (****ING HARD LEVELS, that will make the wii remote projectile. Then you will take a break and play Ninja Gaiden :p).

Still I am disappointed in the lack of Forte/Bass he was my favorite character.

Tcatomon

Well, no, they never really had "interesting" storylines, but it was enough to keep you playing, right? Even in Zelda and Mario you wanted to know HOW it would go down.
I think after they introduced Protoman later on did things start going from "press right" to "press right and WTF at some point".

Pluvius

Tcatomon;60737 said:
1. "Even though Model A seems to have extremely similar traits with Axl, it was created by Master Albert as a back-up system for himself, similar to his "dummy body" seen in the game prior to the final levels. This is why it is named Model A(lbert). As such, Model A has no confirmed relation to X-series character Axl. It is possible that Albert had based designs on Model A from information about Axl without actually downloading his AI and consciousness to it, or that Albert did indeed somehow retrieve his data to make Model A, but for some reason did not want to admit to doing so. This issue may have something to do with the disputed canon between games made after MMX5 and the MMZero/ZX series. If Model A truly has nothing to do with Axl, his similar attacks and appearance may simply be a tribute to the character. "
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_ZX_Advent
You can't use a shitty wiki like that as a source.

tricky77puzzle;60742 said:
So, I have a question that's... kinda off-topic to this one: why did Capcom all of a sudden decide to continue the original series when it hasn't worked on it for 10 years and has gone on to bigger and better things, like say, Ryuusei?

EDIT: Please don't kill me.
You greatly underestimate the fanbase that Capcom has been alienating for years.

Tcatomon;60759 said:
More bits and pieces!
http://www.rockmanpm.com/

Can someone more familiar with Classic tell me if those screenshots from RPM are from existing games? One of the levels looks like Toadman's.
Those are MM9 screenshots scanned from August's Nintendo Power. RPM is a good source of regurgitated information.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Pluvius;61624 said:
You greatly underestimate the fanbase that Capcom has been alienating for years.

Meh. Unless Megaman 8 didn't end the story, I don't see any reason to continue it. I mean, they did move on to X, right?