Rockman 9 - Collected info & rumors

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Oh, something Pluvius said. He's on my ignore list, so that's why I didn't see it. After all, when he's a total ass to me, arguing with me at the drop of the pin, then randomly asks to be a 'friend' when he was already starting to piss me off, then A/S/Ling me when I've already got all that info available for people to see, and thinking I'd be okay with it, there's no way in hell I'd ever bother even considering reading the crap they type.

Seriously, you just need to look at my profile for ASLing. Are they honestly that lazy?

Oh, and I didn't freak out because of that. It's because you had the audacity to be rude to me on the forums then think I'd get all chummy with you. Sorry, people tend to not be too friendly with people who constantly try to fight with them.

Stop quoting him, please. It gives me a tendency to argue back, and we need to desperately keep on topic.

Pluvius

Hey, genius, your sex isn't in your profile, & even if it was, not everyone knows vBulletin by heart. This happens to be one of my first times using it for a decent amount of time, so I didn't know where to look in a profile for that sort of info.

I argued with you, in this very topic, when you were being stubborn when you were wrong, & the issue was a silly one to start with. You were like "I wish there was art of these RMs", & I pointed out that there were translucent art pieces in the trailer when they faded out from the viewer's point of view. You were confused, I attempted to clarify, & now you hate me, on account of you being afraid of the intentions of every person on the Internet.

Guys, I know she won't see that. Don't quote anything I've posted, to honor her request. I hope she misses anything relevant to Mega Man 9 that I post, like those screenshots.

Pluvius

p_l1219596407.jpg

& remember, don't quote me. Wouldn't wanna be rude & accidentally share this with Role.

cool picture Pluvius :D will that be the real front cover me wonder (remembers it's coming out for download only) oh right... Your right though Tcatomon the mettaur does look like a snail a bit :p

on a different subject which system do you guys plan to get this on? I was probably going to go with my 360 since I play that the most out of all three of them (right now).

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
360. I still haven't decided if I'm getting it or not though. So far I'm not too impressed. I just keep up with the news. since it's not going to do anything to advance the plot I doubt there's going to be anything I can't read on Wiki to catch up with.

Well it's up to you tcatomon but tbh it sounds a bit silly if you only buy games (especially retro styled ones) for it's story. But hey if thats how you enjoy games then don't let me or anyone else tell you otherwise.

IMO though the classic series had a pretty shallow story to begin with the game was famous due to it's game play and difficulty which is what is tempting me to buy it now. Much like new super mario bros on DS when that was released come to think of it.

Pluvius

The story becoming deeper would ruin the simplicity of the series. Would you want Mario to be deeper, Tcatomon?

I'll be getting it on the Wii.

Tcatomon

I haven't played a Mario game since Super Mario World for SNES. Mario64 turned me off the series completely.
And they're hardly comparable. The fact the Megaman series spans about a thousand something years where the Mario series is.... all in the same year for all we know.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Some games are just for gameplay.

But Rockman as of late has this tradition of HAVING A STORY. Something more than just 'Rockman faces and beats the bad guys... again'. And that is very respectable. I'd be entirely disappointed if Rockman 9 had little to no storyline. Heck, even Rockman 7/8 had at least SOME storyline forces guiding it. It'd be a shame to see the series devolve into just a random platforming shooter...

So long as they at least remember to inclue a story, I should be good.

As for Mario... that never had a story or a timelime. Mario exists outside of time. Ever notice nobody even ages? For Mario, you see the notion that "It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be fun". Same could be said for Pokemon. Don't believe me? Well then, tell me. How old is Satoshi again? And if that doesn't convince you, check out the stark differences beteen the "pokegals"...

That however doesn't necessarily hold true for Rockman, though.. They can't just do whatever, as there's 400+ years of lore that have built up! The large majority of fans will probably be irked if all Rockman 9 turns out to be is a Rockman Clone - something that plays like Rockman, but has nothing to do with the story.

Tcatomon

tl;dr version: yes.

Honestly I like the idea of the timeline thing. It makes for better references.. like Chill Penguin in the background of Frost Walrus's stage. It isn't just "oh that wacky princess has gotten herself kidnapped.... again".

And, Pluvius.. I wasn't talking about the story being deeper.. Gods know we don't start getting a mildly coherent story until MMX.. I was meaning A story .. even if it ended up being something like MM7 or 8... or even Rockman & Forte. From all I've read so far it's got about as much story as MM1's "Oshi-- let's stop Dr. Wily".

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
If that's the case I won't touch it. I don't care if it is a Rockman game, if it's just a rockman clone, then I won't play it. I mean, come on. With all the recent storyline growths (the epicness that was Zero, the o.o ness that is ZX, etc), not having anything decent as far as storyline goes would be a HUGE step back.

I mean, after how Epic RMZ was (even those Last Words of his, which immortalized Zero as the most Gar Rockman EVER to exist), fans are watching closely. Storyline in this day and age is just as important as gameplay. If they forget that, it'll be a HUGE disappointment.

oh yeah it will have a story definatley but I was saying, and this is only my opinion that buying a mega man game not for the gameplay kinda weird to me.

megaman has always fallen under the generic platformer genre for me (rpg if you look at exe/rnr) the story is always the same regardless of the series your playing, bad guy threatens to take over/destroy world megaman stops him. insert side story about zero being built by wily and boom done.

but what tcatomon say's is very true, the series story ark is intriguing with all the little plot twists keeping us amused like how zero was built by wily, or how protoman was actually megaman's brother it all adds to the fun of the games.

While a game like mario really doesn't need a story to be fun. I made that connection because, this is only my opinion remember, I don't think highly of the megaman story line anymore. They churn out games every year with minimal funding so this series is clearly being made up as they go along. Like an episode of Lost really :p

Role;67640 said:
It'd be a shame to see the series devolve into just a random platforming shooter... - it started out that way *fixed*

Role;67640 said:
if it's just a rockman clone, then I won't play it - since they all are *fixed*

Role;67640 said:
That however doesn't necessarily hold true for Rockman, though.. They can't just do whatever, as there's 400+ years of lore that have built up! - because clearly the 400+ years of lore was clearly planned out from the very beginning, and not made up when they thought they needed a new series to slap on to the franchise *fixed*

QFL (quoted for lols) the three biggest contradictions about mega man ever, ah we all love you role you make us smile (well at least me) XD

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Yes, it started out that way, then evolved into something better. LIKE I SAID, IT'D BE A SHAME TO SEE IT DEVOLVE.

No, because Rockman evolved into something greater, Rockman clone can now apply to it. All a Rockman clone is is a game that has only the basics of Rockman. Rockman 7/8 had something greater. But if we're reduced to Rockman 1/2/3, then it's now a Rockman Clone, since it doesn't strive to be greater. That, and I was also COMPARING it to the countless number of rockman clones out there that suck compared to the original, saying it'd be no better than them.

Vince, you're an idiot being sarcastic saying that its the way they started out. You know why? Because they're NO LONGER STARTING OUT. They have what, TWENTY YEARS of lore built up that they have to adhere to? Yeah, sure, they don't have to follow past lore much, but THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING THAT UPSETS THE LORE OF THE FUTURE.

Wow, funny that, I turned your Quoted For Lulz into Quoted For the Lose!

Capcom isn't just starting out with megaman. OVER TWENTY YEARS, they have caused expectations to build up in their audiance that THEY HAVE TO MEET. If they don't - If they deliver an inferior product, people will get pissed.

In saying that it's devolving, I'm saying just what you did - making it go back to where they started. After all, DEVOLUTION is BACKWARDS EVOLUTION. A STEP BACK. So yes, it started that way. SO WE WANT BETTER THAN THAT.

In comparing it to the numerous failed Rockman Clones out there, I said that the devolution would make them no better: IT WOULD MAKE IT THE SAME AS A FAILED ROCKMAN CLONE THAT NOBODY REMEMBERS. They aren't all clones of each other. In fact, each installment brings something new. If they were all clones, the series would have died. Just because it carries the name Rockman in the title, doesn't mean it's a clone. See: Rockman.EXE, Rockman Soccer, etc... Are they clones of the first Rockman game? If you say yes, go kill your self, becuase you're too stupid to have the right to live.

You think that lore doesn't matter, that since this is part of the first series it can be tossed out? GUESS AGAIN. They have to be careful to KEEP THE LORE FROM PREVIOUS GAMES, and to PROTECT THE LORE OF FUTURE GAMES. By saying that it's just the begining, it doesn't matter, you are saying exactly what I'm warning about. If capcom takes your approach, they'll piss off their fans, who will, in turn, not buy the game, as everyone says it sucks.

Behold, logic kicks your ass.

Tcatomon

1. MM9 was only made for fanservice. We already know this. I don't have high expectations because of it.

2. I would have less of a "meh" attitude about it if they'd NOT put it in the MM number sequence, but a shoot off of the main games... like Rockman & Forte and the GB/GBC games.

Vincentdante;67647 said:
megaman has always fallen under the generic platformer genre for me (rpg if you look at exe/rnr) the story is always the same regardless of the series your playing, bad guy threatens to take over/destroy world megaman stops him. insert side story about zero being built by wily and boom done.

While a game like mario really doesn't need a story to be fun. I made that connection because, this is only my opinion remember, I don't think highly of the megaman story line anymore. They churn out games every year with minimal funding so this series is clearly being made up as they go along. Like an episode of Lost really :p

ALL video games have the good guy vs bad guy plot (final fantasy, Devil May Cry, Halo, Castlevania...etc)...unless you're playing like.. Tetris. It's how they pull off the twists to make it interesting and the characters you meet along the way that keeps your interests. ... Plot is only a part of it.

Also, you can't take every game with a grain of salt. Just like Marvel and DC.. there's so many people that come and go you're liable to mess something up along the way. There's always going to be a sneaked in retcon somewhere. ... Like Cain's death in Maverick Hunter X.. when he's a part of MMX2 in the SNES version, or the "way" Sigma turned Maverick.

lol, and you can't stick Megman Soccer in there vs EXE. Soccer was made in the west. And we dare not speak of it! XD;

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
I didn't compare it. I just referenced at as a not-Rockman clone. Which technically was correct.

I'm kinda meh as well with MM9 tcatomon but I will still get it for the reasons I previously stated, like I said it's only my own opinion. fair enough if you disagree with me I wasn't expecting people to :)

@role: lolwut?

ok lets go through that post one paragraph at a time and see what your saying and I will calmly explain my thoughts and what I meant as a lot of it appears to be random ranting with little of what I said in it, this will be a long post.

Yes, it started out that way, then evolved into something better. LIKE I SAID, IT'D BE A SHAME TO SEE IT DEVOLVE.

Your right here with each new series they have added something new such as multiple playable characters new methods of game play (exe/rnr) and even pilotable vehicals (though in the classic you had rush I guess).

In regards to my previous post you seem to just be pointing out what you said previously.

No, because Rockman evolved into something greater, Rockman clone can now apply to it. All a Rockman clone is is a game that has only the basics of Rockman. Rockman 7/8 had something greater. But if we're reduced to Rockman 1/2/3, then it's now a Rockman Clone, since it doesn't strive to be greater. That, and I was also COMPARING it to the countless number of rockman clones out there that suck compared to the original, saying it'd be no better than them.

Actually in this case I was implying that the games are all very similar to one another graphical quality aside even the zero series would have been a clone of the X series as zero was playable in most of that and X was a clone of the classic series because X played just like megaman etc. The clone term would in fact stop when the gameplay itself differs which would be rockman.exe and starforce and megaman soccer which you seem so proud about pointing out.

Vince, you're an idiot being sarcastic saying that its the way they started out. You know why? Because they're NO LONGER STARTING OUT. They have what, TWENTY YEARS of lore built up that they have to adhere to? Yeah, sure, they don't have to follow past lore much, but THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING THAT UPSETS THE LORE OF THE FUTURE.

Ok a lot being said here first and foremost this is what I said "It'd be a shame to see the series devolve into just a random platforming shooter... - it started out that way *fixed*" now look at the key words. RANDOM PLATFORMER SHOOTER, I was talking about the gameplay elements here not the story or the lore just the gameplay.

I also didn't say that they are allowed to mess with the future of the games lore you seem to have put those words into my mouth.

Wow, funny that, I turned your Quoted For Lulz into Quoted For the Lose!

Aww don't be so hard on yourself your previous post which I was quoting wasn't that much of a fail :p *bricked*

Capcom isn't just starting out with megaman. OVER TWENTY YEARS, they have caused expectations to build up in their audiance that THEY HAVE TO MEET. If they don't - If they deliver an inferior product, people will get pissed.

I never said they were starting out you seem to be finding words in my post, changing their meaning and then putting them in my mouth, how shallow.

With the budget capcom allows for the production of megaman games by general standards it already is an inferior product but I see your talking about the lore again so no comment.

In saying that it's devolving, I'm saying just what you did - making it go back to where they started. After all, DEVOLUTION is BACKWARDS EVOLUTION. A STEP BACK. So yes, it started that way. SO WE WANT BETTER THAN THAT.

I was saying it really hasn't changed that much over the years your still megaman running on 2d platforms shooting with your buster the evolution in the series would again be tweaks in the gameplay like more characters and the vehicals but I honestly can't think of anything else right now except the minor tweaks like X's dash. I was implying with my satire that the series can't devolve when it barely changed. But of course I know you better you were talking about the lore again so going by what you meant then yes this is a devolution to the series, a prequel if you will that adds nothing new to the formula.

However I agree in one part this is a devoution in terms of graphical quality as megaman 7 & 8 were had superior sprite design.

In comparing it to the numerous failed Rockman Clones out there, I said that the devolution would make them no better: IT WOULD MAKE IT THE SAME AS A FAILED ROCKMAN CLONE THAT NOBODY REMEMBERS. They aren't all clones of each other. In fact, each installment brings something new. If they were all clones, the series would have died.

for sake of sanity I split this paragraph into two as it covers two different points. Well tbh I have no idea what your point is here your saying that if it devolves then it will be the same as one of those other megaman games no one remembers? well congratulations in your twisted logic that bad megaman games cannot be remembered automatically makes you right on the subject as I cannot recall another platforming style megaman game that purposly went backwards to compare it to. If you meant the universally agreed bad megaman soccer game then your arguement falls flat as they are two completely different games of two completely different genres with the comparison being the blue bomber slapped onto the front.

Just because it carries the name Rockman in the title, doesn't mean it's a clone. See: Rockman.EXE, Rockman Soccer, etc... Are they clones of the first Rockman game? If you say yes, go kill your self, becuase you're too stupid to have the right to live.

your right they aren't. Now tell me when did I specifically compare a sports game and an rpg series to a platformer game or are you twisting my words to change their meaning again?

Now before I continue on a personal note since you call me an idiot twice in your post there, when someone who works at gamestop calls someone who is starting his 3rd year at a decent university studying the very topic he is arguing about (computer games production) an idiot then something is wrong.

You think that lore doesn't matter, that since this is part of the first series it can be tossed out? GUESS AGAIN. They have to be careful to KEEP THE LORE FROM PREVIOUS GAMES, and to PROTECT THE LORE OF FUTURE GAMES. By saying that it's just the begining, it doesn't matter, you are saying exactly what I'm warning about. If capcom takes your approach, they'll piss off their fans, who will, in turn, not buy the game, as everyone says it sucks.

I never said that because it is the first series it should be tossed out sounds like someones twisting my words again to me words that were just recently made up since I never even mentioned the lore of the first series XD. They don't need to be to careful though because all they need to do is what they always have been doing 8 robot masters are on the lose go stop them megaman. I don't see how that will interfere with your grand plan of the universe oh lord.

now a carefully picked line from that paragraph.

If capcom takes your approach

what approach is that the part were I said that the lore was made up as it went along or the approach were I said evolution is the key to humanity?? (wait I never said that either making up words is contagious)

Behold, logic kicks your ass.

well congratulations your logic was so twisted and full of twisted arguments based on "facts" that I managed to "forget" to type that I actually had to spend time figuring out the logic you were so proud to present.