Yatagaramon > Crowmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Ingrimm said:
That's the great thing about dubs: they give people in other countries to learn something new about the country the original comes from.
Especially Digimon, since so many names come from so many places. Aztec, Hindu, the Chinese Zodiac, it really helped me learn a lot.

But I want to state that my problem with Crowmon has never been the stifling of Japanese mythology rooted in Yatagaramon, but because it's so freakin' plain. It's like calling Agumon "Dinomon", or Renamon "Foxmon". If the point was really to come up with something either easier to say or something that had nothing to do with Japanese, they could have called him Corvusmon or Validusmon or something scientific. Crowmon, it's just flat.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Now you know why it really gets on my nerves Primo! Because they are taking original meanings away.

Ingrimm

That's an interesting point. For me every Digimon name sounds foreign and so it doesn't matter that much to me whether its meaning is English or Japanese. Digimon with "German" names sound very strange to me (like Duftmon, Reichmon or Blitzmon). I guess Americans have the same feeling about the English names.
For me "Crowmon" is just as good as "Corvusmon". When I hear "Crow", I think of this:
200px-Crow_ver2.jpg

After that I thought of the bird - so it's actually a cool name to a German guy like me. Nevertheless I don't think it's right to change names in the first place. Digimon taught me a lot about different mythologies. Now people will just wonder "Three legs? What a crippled crow!" or something like that... ^^

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
^_^ If I must like a name change, I would've preferred them changing it to something other than a crow. XD; Crow does sound plain... From something so 'cool' and pretty educating (I actually didn't realize it was Yatagarasu but I was looking up something like Ameterasu or something...) to some thing so... plain and, in my opinion, so inferior. It's... weird. I just would've preferred them keeping the names.

I mean it's so hard to remember a name of someone that's been changed of a C-drama based off of a manga. (Rui Xui to Mizuki anyone?) <_< >_> Can't people just keep the names of things? XD

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Kazemon15;17710 said:
So if you never cared for it in the first place, nor have experienced the dub first hand in your own eyes, who are you to critizie what you have not seen nor even care about? That's what's strange to me. It seems you're judging it before you even watch it, as many of the forumers here who disliked Masaru's name change did, and after they did watch it, they thought it was actually quiet decent. You know, I don't understand how people come complain about things they havent even seen yet experienced first hand yet. It's like saying "I hate the shows being shown in Poland!" But who am I to judge when I never even saw it or even care about Poland? The same concept applies to here too.

I don't watch it regularly because I don't like what's in it. How would I know what's in it without watching it regularly? Hm, let's think about this. Here's something to wrap your brain around: I hate Miso Soup. Do I eat it regularly? No, I hate it. Did I try it on more than one occasion and base my decision on whether or not I like it on those occasions? Yes. Does that give me the "right" to say "I hate Miso Soup"? You bet it does.

You disagree without actually experiencing it first, and that, my friend, is the first sign of...a dub hater.

If I have to watch Digimon Data Squad in its entirety in order to say whether or not I dislike it, then I suppose I shouldn't have been allowed to talk about how I liked Digimon Savers until I had seen the entire thing. And no, I am not a "dub hater". There are a number of dubs that I enjoyed and watched after I decided that I liked them (which usually only took one episode to convince me, by the way) in their entirety. This is not one of them.

You argument is conflicting....you say you dont watch it because you disagree with it's content, but how can you truly know it's full content without watching it? You're just basing your "content" from name changes only, which is not all that is there in a show.

I find it an even more idiotic concept to force yourself to sit down and watch an entire show that you've already decided you don't like, just so that you can get on the forums and tell everyone that you don't like it and they can't argue. I knew someone who hated Inuyasha with a burning passion, but watched all 167 episodes and all the movies so that no one on gaiaonline could tell him that he hadn't seen it all. To put it gently, I found no admiration in that boy's actions. I've dabbled into Digimon Data Squad, and as a general opinion based on said dabbling, I can safely say I don't like it. This can apply without my being an alleged "dub hater". You'll just have to deal with that.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Mitchfoxbane55;17769 said:
As for the dub name Scorpiomon for Anomalocarimon, I feel that in my opinion it is quite alright for Anomalocarimon's dub name because when I had first seen Adventure 01, I had a bit of a hard time trying to pronounce its name and the name is quite long-winded to spell it out.
Plus, it does look like a scorpion (sort of) so the dub name seems quite alright.

Looks like a Scorpion ? If that´s the case, every Lobster, Bee or Ant looks like one.

Kazemon15;17763 said:
And I know you are a Dub hater because of small things like coffee jelly and where Masaru was born. Sometimes, dubs are superior than their Japanese counter parts, I can name a few if you like.

Dubs Superior to the Original ? What drugs are you on ? No seriously, I can´t understand that you Dub Lovers are like this. So you love your Anime Cut and with Add in Corny Jokes ?

Come on, why can´t a Japanese Person have a Japanese Name ? Why can´t a Fairy be called a Fairy ? Why the heck all those Edits of signs ? Is the Japanese Language that Inferior in your opinion ?

Why do they edit out things that are shown in their own shows ?

Kazemon15;17763 said:
Why can't your country just get the original from where it comes from, Japan, instead of going through the US? Don't blame the US because of your countries choices. What the dubbers do here is only for English speaking audience.

We get the Original, but due to legal Reasons, we get your retard US Names. Isn´t that nice ?

Oh, and none is a God, but Nimoy acted like he is God. And like Digimon is an American Show ! But it is not , it is a Japanese Show edited by Americans.

So what is wrong with different cultures ?

jadenik

MugenSeiRyuu;17822 said:
Looks like a Scorpion ? If that´s the case, every Lobster, Bee or Ant looks like one.

Dubs Superior to the Original ? What drugs are you on ? No seriously, I can´t understand that you Dub Lovers are like this. So you love your Anime Cut and with Add in Corny Jokes ?

Come on, why can´t a Japanese Person have a Japanese Name ? Why can´t a Fairy be called a Fairy ? Why the heck all those Edits of signs ? Is the Japanese Language that Inferior in your opinion ?

We get the Original, but due to legal Reasons, we get your retard US Names. Isn´t that nice ?

Oh, and none is a God, but Nimoy acted like he is God. And like Digimon is an American Show ! But it is not , it is a Japanese Show edited by Americans.

Mugen ,not all dubs are cut and have corny jokes.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
MugenSeiRyuu;17822 said:

Gundam Wing, Spiral, Pretear, Full Metal Alchemist...I can go on, if you want me to....I don't judge a dub based on how many cuts it has, I judge it based on how good the voice actors are and how close they are to the original storyline, even if they do say a few corny jokes in their dialouge.

Because America likes to sugar coat everything, and we just have to accept that. American thinks the Teletubbies are evil for pete's sake. The very first season of Seasame Street is labled "Adults Only" because "Oh nooes, they're being mean to Oscar, that's labeling and teaching our kids how to judge ppl!" "Oh nooes, Big Bird offered a little girl to walk home with him for milk and cookies, that's kidnapping!"

In today's world, every little thing needs to be sugar coated, whether it's names, references, cuts...

And why is that our problem? Doesnt make sense, you can have the Japanese songs translated, the same music, yet you can't have the same name? Seems kinda stupid to me...

PowerPuff girls is an American show, yet the Japanese got it and made their own show out of it...so does that mean that PowerPuff Girls is an American show edited and changed by Japanese? No, it's a Japanese anime using the same concept, so therefore, Digimon changed into English can be an American show with the same concept.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Technically your parallel doesn't work so very well since in this case, it's a redubbing of a show with edits with mostly same art and such of the original (minus stuff done for translations and stuff done because of edits because that's not original). Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z isn't really a re-dub of the American Powerpuff Girls into Japanese and edited for the Japanese.

If American companies truly did as you said for Digimon as you said the Japanese did to Powerpuff Girls Z, then they should have made their own show. Digital Monsters: Data Squad Here! With their own art and such. That's how your parallel would work.

Now if you would all just focus on the issue of Yatagaramon -> Crowmon I'd really like that. Cause then I wouldn't feel like commenting on things NOT on the original issue at hand. If you truly wanted to do something like this, MAKE A THREAD FOR IT. -_-

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
MugenSeiRyuu;17822 said:

Er, that's only Digimon you are really talking about. Pretty much every other American dub doesn't do that, and sticks close to the original script. The most cuts such an anime will get will be on TV, but uncut DVDs are almost always released. Besides, Kaz never said Digi Data Squad was better then Savers.

Dub Fullmetal Alchemist>Japanese Fullmetal Alchemist IMO, not to sy Japanese FMA is bad. I prefer the dub voices.

Digimon Data Squad IS an American show. It uses a japanese show as it's base. :/

Absolutely nothing. But Disney decided to change things, I guess. Which TOTALLY ruins their "It's a Small World" song XD

So I'm gonna guess by your reply that you don't like U.S dubs at all.

Edit: Gah, you posted while I was typing, Kage. I do agree that this debate should be taken somewhere else. :/

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
I much prefer the FMA Dub over the original (mind you the ones i have are duboverlay) so it isn't like i bash dubs in general. I just don't like what is happening to Data Squad.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Hagaren Gao;17841 said:
Er, that's only Digimon you are really talking about. Pretty much every other American dub doesn't do that, and sticks close to the original script. The most cuts such an anime will get will be on TV, but uncut DVDs are almost always released. Besides, Kaz never said Digi Data Squad was better then Savers.

Ah, it´s not like 4Kids does not dub dozens of Anime. Or things like the whole Macross.
Fact is that they do it to Digimon ! And their Edits suck.
There are also indeed Idiots who claim the Dub to be better than the original.

Hagaren Gao;17841 said:
Digimon Data Squad IS an American show. It uses a japanese show as it's base. :/

It´s a Japanese Show edited by Americans. Americans who fail.

Hagaren Gao;17841 said:
Absolutely nothing. But Disney decided to change things, I guess. Which TOTALLY ruins their "It's a Small World" song XD

Xenophobia anyone ?

Hagaren Gao;17841 said:
So I'm gonna guess by your reply that you don't like U.S dubs at all.

They proved that they are not worth it.

Kazemon15;17837 said:
Gundam Wing, Spiral, Pretear, Full Metal Alchemist...I can go on, if you want me to....I don't judge a dub based on how many cuts it has, I judge it based on how good the voice actors are and how close they are to the original storyline, even if they do say a few corny jokes in their dialouge.

Digimon Dubs fail in all of those. Like a lot other Anime Dubs that are used as Kid´s Shows. I don´t care about most of them, but most of those Edits are not neccesary at all.

Kazemon15;17837 said:
Because America likes to sugar coat everything, and we just have to accept that. American thinks the Teletubbies are evil for pete's sake. The very first season of Seasame Street is labled "Adults Only" because "Oh nooes, they're being mean to Oscar, that's labeling and teaching our kids how to judge ppl!" "Oh nooes, Big Bird offered a little girl to walk home with him for milk and cookies, that's kidnapping!"

In today's world, every little thing needs to be sugar coated, whether it's names, references, cuts...

If you are afraid of yourself and seriously Xenophobic.
Notice however that Disney has in their own shows what is cut in Digimon !

Kazemon15;17837 said:
And why is that our problem? Doesnt make sense, you can have the Japanese songs translated, the same music, yet you can't have the same name? Seems kinda stupid to me...

Did I say that it makes sense ? No ! I just say that we get those crappy names, which is bad enough.

Kazemon15;17837 said:
PowerPuff girls is an American show, yet the Japanese got it and made their own show out of it...so does that mean that PowerPuff Girls is an American show edited and changed by Japanese? No, it's a Japanese anime using the same concept, so therefore, Digimon changed into English can be an American show with the same concept.

Epic Fail !

PPGZ is all new japanese Animation, but based on an American concept. If they took the American PPG and edited it for airing in Japan, it would be an American Show edited by Japanese.
Digimon Savers however is a Japanese Show edited by Americans. Despite what Nimoy claims.
Now if the planned but scrapped "Digimon Force 3" was made , that would be an American Show based on a Japanese concept. Ofcourse we can be thankfull that that was never made since it would be one Epic Fail. With the best function of the Digivice being that you can pretty much knock out every Digimon by throwing that oversized ugly thing at them. I also bet that the Main Digimon of the Goggleboy would have an oversized Chin. ( See GINO and Jake Long )

Let me tell you some little story, which I got from felow Rin Agumon Akaguta Member Bastemon, who got it from Enaz, trying to convince her about the Qulities of the Dub:
Two men went on two separate trips around the world, agreeing to return home afterwards and tell each other of their travels. One stopped only at major cities, sight-seeing between flights. The other would stop in a country, stay a few days, check out some of the small towns, and then move on. Of course, the first man got home soonest. When the second finally returned, the first man criticized him, complaining about how long he had to wait on the second man to come back.
Neither man was wrong to go his own way, but the first man was wrong to criticize the second man.

One may notice how the Example fails as for being Pro-Dub, but works wonderfull for the Original.

Ingrimm

Digimon Data Squad is NOT an American show. The German dub isn't a German show either... oO Digimon isn't common property!
Kazemon15;17837 said:
But why do we have to accept this? It's not like we could change too much about it, but at least we can espress our discontent! -.-

jadenik

MugenSeiRyuu;17864 said:
Ah, it´s not like 4Kids does not dub dozens of Anime. Or things like the whole Macross.
Fact is that they do it to Digimon ! And their Edits suck.
There are also indeed Idiots who claim the Dub to be better than the original.

It´s a Japanese Show edited by Americans. Americans who fail.

Xenophobia anyone ?

They proved that they are not worth it.

Digimon Dubs fail in all of those. Like a lot other Anime Dubs that are used as Kid´s Shows. I don´t care about most of them, but most of those Edits are not neccesary at all.

If you are afraid of yourself and seriously Xenophobic.
Notice however that Disney has in their own shows what is cut in Digimon !

Did I say that it makes sense ? No ! I just say that we get those crappy names, which is bad enough.

Epic Fail !

PPGZ is all new japanese Animation, but based on an American concept. If they took the American PPG and edited it for airing in Japan, it would be an American Show edited by Japanese.
Digimon Savers however is a Japanese Show edited by Americans. Despite what Nimoy claims.
Now if the planned but scrapped "Digimon Force 3" was made , that would be an American Show based on a Japanese concept. Ofcourse we can be thankfull that that was never made since it would be one Epic Fail. With the best function of the Digivice being that you can pretty much knock out every Digimon by throwing that oversized ugly thing at them. I also bet that the Main Digimon of the Goggleboy would have an oversized Chin. ( See GINO and Jake Long )

Let me tell you some little story, which I got from felow Rin Agumon Akaguta Member Bastemon, who got it from Enaz, trying to convince her about the Qulities of the Dub:
Two men went on two separate trips around the world, agreeing to return home afterwards and tell each other of their travels. One stopped only at major cities, sight-seeing between flights. The other would stop in a country, stay a few days, check out some of the small towns, and then move on. Of course, the first man got home soonest. When the second finally returned, the first man criticized him, complaining about how long he had to wait on the second man to come back.
Neither man was wrong to go his own way, but the first man was wrong to criticize the second man.

One may notice how the Example fails as for being Pro-Dub, but works wonderfull for the Original.

I've never seen macross or its american version robotech, but I don't you should insult robotech since it has a large legion of fans, hell it even has a section dedicated to it on newgrounds and an upcoming movie. its like how transformers is an edited of a japanese show but has a large legion of fans.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
I´m not insulting it per se, I´m just pointing it out as one of many heavily edited Anime. How many Series edited together was it again ?

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
MugenSeiRyuu;17864 said:

Well, that's your opinion. Digimon dubs have some of the best voice actors I've seen, even other anime companies noticed this, or havent you noticed that their names have appeared in many other popular anime because of their voice acting skills? (Chobits, X:TV, Wolf's Rain).

And they fail in what, exactly? Keeping to the original storyline? Sorry, but so far, all the Digimon dubs I have seen (I dont know which ones you've been watching...) has the same storyline. If you wanna see a chopped up storyline, go watch the 2nd Season of Sailor Moon dubbed by DiC.

Besides, why are you complaining? Go watch your uncut German dub and leave the American dub alone.

And besides, we've been warned once, in case you havent noticed Kage's post, so anything you post to me in this thread, I am not going to reply to anymore.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I don't necessarily have the power to do something but anymore general dub vs sub tiff and not related to the name change of yatagaramon to crowmon, I've asked that this thread be closed.

Anyways... >_> I still think Crowmon is a boring name. .-.; Peckmon was too but I mean... that was a boring digimon anyways >_>; Yatagaramon just screams coolness... Comparing Crowmon to Yatagaramon I still think it's inferior.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Kage said:
I still think Crowmon is a boring name. .-.; Peckmon was too but I mean... that was a boring digimon anyways >_>
LOL

True, Savers really screwed up Peckmon. My assumption was always so NEXT would have at least one Digimon to brag about by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.