Yatagaramon > Crowmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Kazemon15 said:
Yatagaramon, you have to really try hard to pronouce it, even I have to say it slowly to pronouce it right, whilist Kabuterimon is spelled just as it sounds "Ka-boo-terry-mon" which is fairly easy to pronouce without difficulties.
Why is Yatagaramon so hard? "Yah-tah-gah-rah-mahn", it's spelled like it sounds. Sure, Crowmon's a lot easier and shorter, but I see the reason for the change because it's too Japanese-influenced, not because it's too difficult to say.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
PrimoPiccolo;17567 said:
Why is Yatagaramon so hard? "Yah-tah-gah-rah-mahn", it's spelled like it sounds. Sure, Crowmon's a lot easier and shorter, but I see the reason for the change because it's too Japanese-influenced, not because it's too difficult to say.

You know, that really confuses me. The governments that we (well most of us) live in are trying to promote multi-nationalism. Everybody should be promoting the japanese culturisms. If our governments were as multi-culturistic (real word?) then why are there Neo-Nazis trying to make their countries more pure (not trying to sound for or against, though truelly against). I think there is no genuine reason for changing it, but the attacks "Mikafutsu no Kami" and "Ame No Ohabari", what are they gonna be? I still can't say Falcomon's secondary attack, something Uksutoshi? I have no clue.

PrimoPiccolo

Johnzaloog said:
I think there is no genuine reason for changing it, but the attacks "Mikafutsu no Kami" and "Ame No Ohabari", what are they gonna be?
Well, since this isn't Naruto, you know they're going to change those names. Heck, we'll be lucky if Falcomon's dynamite won't be changed into oranges. LOL

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Kazemon15;17480 said:
Besides, arent dubs based on how good the voice actors are other than what the names are? Most cut dub, I kid you not, is a hell of alot better voiced than uncut DVD dubs. A dub is changing it from its original language into a language we understand, and if changing a name makes us understand it more, then change it. Only about 20% of fandom actually cares where anime comes from...the other 80% only care if the voices dont sound like robots reading scripts. So of course Disney or whatever would only take into account the larger percentage (just as every other anime company) does.

*Nods in agreement* I think name changes are a really small price to pay for a pretty good dub. *Yes* there are a few edits, *yes* there are erased signs and flashy impact screens, *yes* there is the occasional corny joke (Although I'm sure the word 'occasional' is highly debatable lol), but still. Digi Data Squad is a lot better of a dub than the other Digimon seasons before it, they have been sticking much closer than before. There are even momets of silence, for cripe's sakes.

And in my opinion, I think DDS has an amazing cast. There are some dubbed anime where everything is translated fairthfully, and barely abridges from the original script, but the voices could be either really iffy or just kinda bad. Tsubasa comes to mind, I personally don't think Sakura or Fai were handled well, and I go back and forth with Syaoran. The dub itself is top-notch, but the odd voicing of characters takes away from my enjoyment.

I suppose you can turn this around on me and say something like 'The voices/script/whatever is ok but the edits turn me away', but it's not nearly as bad as anything 4Kids has done. I just don't see why some of these things are such a travesty :/

....I hope I presented my side better this time, lol. Don't hurt me, I just wanna try and get to the bottom of this.

Dynamite>Oranges made me lol.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I guess it's the point that, if they wanted to bring something so people can see it, we (the minority who don't like edits but make up most of the internet fan-base) like things as close to the original. We want to see it as it was, but with translated subs (or dub) in a language so that we can understand it.

It's as if someone edited and changed Lolita or even some of the earlier versions of fairytales (or folktales) done by Perrault or the Grimm Brothers. Sure a lot of people can like the edited new version (like almost all the stuff DONE BY DISNEY) but a lot also like the real true, but translated works. You know... with Cinderella's step-sisters cutting off their toes or heels or having their eyes pecked out by birds. Or some prefer the Brothers Grimm version of Hansel & Gretel where it's their mom not their stepmom who wants to leave them out in the forest. The mom -> stepmom switch also happens in Snow White.

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Kazemon15;17480 said:
And a little 10 year old kind is actually going to search the web to find the meaning of what "Yatagaramon" means. I highly doubt that.

I did. I wasn't 10, but I was close to that age. Yah-tah-gah-rah is not difficult to prounounce, either. It's the same vowel sound repeated four times with a different consanant. You, as well as everyone cutting and editing and including themselves in entertainment for adolescents in general, are underestimating young people.

I would like someone to name at least one dub that has direct from Japanese to English translations, and actually keeps suffixes and actually sounds decent. Not one has that.

FLCL/Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly. Oh my, he is not all-knowing.

jadenik

Gaomon;17578 said:
I did. I wasn't 10, but I was close to that age. Yah-tah-gah-rah is not difficult to prounounce, either. It's the same vowel sound repeated four times with a different consanant. You, as well as everyone cutting and editing and including themselves in entertainment for adolescents in general, are underestimating young people.

naruto,bleach, anything on adult swim.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
PrimoPiccolo;17567 said:

I read alot, and even I couldnt pronouce it just as it was spelled. I had to really look at the spelling to see how it is and listen to the name over again in the Japanese language. The way it's spelled and the way the Japanese pronouced it is different, while it's spelled Yatagaramon, I kept hearing "Ygataramon"

Gaomon;17578 said:

Most 10 year olds don't have access to internet and forums, let alone would know how to spell it. And parents today are negelctful...their kids read a book that has slight references in it, "oh my god, my kid is tainted, ban the book!" A child watches Ah My Goddess (and I kid you not) "Oh my god, my child is exploted to sexual reference, ban anime, it's bad, it's bad!" So among all the things shown on TV (even on DVD with ratings for pete's sake) Anime that is TV centric doesnt have much room to move. Parents want to put blame on what's on TV, not themselves for letting their kids watch it. Be happy they kept most of Marcus' punches in tact without parents yelling "VIOLENCE! BAN DIGIMON!" Or in Crowmon's case (yes Im using the dub's name cuz I dont want to try to think and type his Japanese name) as I think it was said before, "My kid is talking gibberish/Jap langauge! Ban it!" (No offense to Japanese but some people still hold grudges against them for WWII)

I watched FLCL, I didnt hear them say "Kun", "Chan", ect or even see them include it in their subtitles.

And once again, I'll say it, no one cares what his name means in Japanese....Japanese mythology isnt that well known as other mythologies, such as Beowulf, which is why they kept it in the dub of Frontier.

And I think you are possibly overestimating kids. I know some kids are smart, but generally overall, they're not. My 2 year old nephew can already speak in sentences, while my 13 year old cousin can barely spell right.

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Kazemon15;17610 said:
I watched FLCL, I didnt hear them say "Kun", "Chan", ect or even see them include it in their subtitles.

Then you weren't listening very well, because they include the honorifics in the FLCL dub. There is even controversy within the show over one of the character's identities due to the pronounciation of his name -with- the honorific "kun" ("Ta-kun/takun" was a nickname for both Naota and his brother, his name ending in "ta" and his brother's name beginning in "ta"). San, Chan, and Kun were all used.

Also, most 10 year olds do have access to the internet. It's 2007. Maybe not on the same level as us, but as I said...I was older than 10, and so will some of the others watching Data Squad. You are over-thinking everything. True, people overreact to many forms of media these days, but Digimon Data Squad is hardly an influencial series. As it is, it will only be shown on a cable network that a handful of Americans have access to, not to mention the following that the Digimon fandom once had has dwindled significantly. I highly doubt that the word "Yatagaramon" is going to incite fury in the hearts of good Christian Americans (though I tend to underestimate what stupidity they are capable of at times), or else none of them would allow their children to order chicken teriyaki from a restaraunt. We are not talking about atomic bombs, war propaganda, religious anarchy, nudity, violence, or swearing. We are talking about replacing the word "Yatagara" with "Crow"...which still, to me, seems to fit this situation if one takes "Crow"'s alternate definition.

(yes Im using the dub's name cuz I dont want to try to think and type his Japanese name)

That is the saddening kind of American laziness and ignorance that I am speaking out against in this case, displayed by you right in front of me. Don't want to try and think? I'm sorry, but that does not make a decent argument.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Gaomon;17613 said:
That is the saddening kind of American laziness and ignorance that I am speaking out against in this case, displayed by you right in front of me. Don't want to try and think? I'm sorry, but that does not make a decent argument.

News flash, America is lazy and most Americans don't care. Besides, I rather spend my time thinking about finals to get a decent job, other than complaining over a change in a cartoon show and start dissing dubbers cuz things didnt go your way. If you're more concerned about thinking about a small little change in a child's cartoon show, other than taking into concern the other aspects of what makes a dub worth watching (i.e. voice talants, very few edits, Jeff working hard to try and keep names, and him actually taking advise from Digimon fans) then I have to say, I could say the same to you, you're not making a decent argument. No offense, but it just makes you look like a dub hater, who hates anything that is not "in it's original format."

I could read back on the first episodes thread of Data Squad, most of the fans saying "Oh we love the dub, great cast, ect" and then suddenly, one change "Oh no, it's the worst, they changed a name, it's horrible!" Now what should I call that? Hmm....

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Kazemon15;17615 said:
If you're more concerned about thinking about a small little change in a child's cartoon show, other than taking into concern the other aspects of what makes a dub worth watching (i.e. voice talants, very few edits, Jeff working hard to try and keep names, and him actually taking advise from Digimon fans) then I have to say, I could say the same to you, you're not making a decent argument. No offense, but it just makes you look like a dub hater, who hates anything that is not "in it's original format."

I understand your arguement and I do say the dub has its merits, but is Nimoy really trying? Sorry but not many characters have kept the same names, except for the main digimon and Miki and Megumi.

I have a friend who is an all out "dub-hater" and it really gets me annoyed sometimes. I quote "Anything that is dubbed is rubbish", bit nasty, huh?

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Kazemon15;17615 said:
News flash, America is lazy and most Americans don't care. Besides, I rather spend my time thinking about finals to get a decent job, other than complaining over a change in a cartoon show and start dissing dubbers cuz things didnt go your way.

Comparing your life to mine is also not a way to win an argument. Not to mention, being too lazy to type out a single word in its entirety is not a sign of a hard-working or estudious individual. You may not be on here "dissing dubbers", but you are here "dissing" something. You are wasting just as much time out of your life as I am. I already graduated and I have a decent job, yet surprisingly I still don't like the dub...and here I am, talking about it. What's your point? Mine is, don't even go there.

I could read back on the first episodes thread of Data Squad, most of the fans saying "Oh we love the dub, great cast, ect" and then suddenly, one change "Oh no, it's the worst, they changed a name, it's horrible!" Now what should I call that? Hmm....

I never cared for it in the first place. My complaints have been consistent. Additionally, as I stated before, I do not watch the dub because I disagree with its content. It's strange how those of you defending the dub seem to revert to anger and taking shots quicker than those of us who don't like it, telling us that we're being too angry and intollerant. Either way, we seem to be off topic. I'm still not convinced that "Crowmon" is even a half-decent replacement for "Yatagaramon". In fact, all of your reasons have only lead me to find it even more repugnant.

PrimoPiccolo

Kazemon15 said:
I read alot, and even I couldnt pronouce it just as it was spelled. I had to really look at the spelling to see how it is and listen to the name over again in the Japanese language. The way it's spelled and the way the Japanese pronouced it is different, while it's spelled Yatagaramon, I kept hearing "Ygataramon"
Well, we all know a lot of dubs will take Japanese names and pronounce them differently. Season 3's goggleboy may have been TAH-kahtoh in Japan, but we all called him Tuh-KAH-toh. The Human Spirit of Fire was AH-g'neemahn there, but our culture fully embraced the vowel placement, turning it into Ah-GU-nee-mahn. All I'm pointing out is that even if it was incredibly hard to say in Japanese, we'd easily slow it down enough to make it feasible. I could just imagine Brianne Siddall now crying out for "Yahda-gahra-mahn".

The reason for the change is already as you pointed out, Japanese folklore isn't widely known here in the States, thus Yata-Garasu means nothing to the average American (unless they play Yu-Gi-Oh!, of course).

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
PrimoPiccolo;17634 said:
The reason for the change is already as you pointed out, Japanese folklore isn't widely known here in the States, thus Yata-Garasu means nothing to the average American (unless they play Yu-Gi-Oh!, of course).

of course

jadenik

Gaomon;17631 said:
Comparing your life to mine is also not a way to win an argument. Not to mention, being too lazy to type out a single word in its entirety is not a sign of a hard-working or estudious individual. You may not be on here "dissing dubbers", but you are here "dissing" something. You are wasting just as much time out of your life as I am. I already graduated and I have a decent job, yet surprisingly I still don't like the dub...and here I am, talking about it. What's your point? Mine is, don't even go there.

I never cared for it in the first place. My complaints have been consistent. Additionally, as I stated before, I do not watch the dub because I disagree with its content. It's strange how those of you defending the dub seem to revert to anger and taking shots quicker than those of us who don't like it, telling us that we're being too angry and intollerant. Either way, we seem to be off topic. I'm still not convinced that "Crowmon" is even a half-decent replacement for "Yatagaramon". In fact, all of your reasons have only lead me to find it even more repugnant.

The dub isn't really that bad, they're easy on the edits and most of the time, they are close to the original script.

Frozen Twins

I would just like to say one thing About this... Yatagaramon has his named changed, but Quatzelmon doesn't. Part of this could be that Quatzelmon is based off a word that is already ran throughout English language, so therefore, not nearly as hard to pronounce. As for the Card in Yu-Gi-Oh... I quote LittleKuriboh.
Yu-Gi-Oh
1. Japanese word meaning Game King.
2. A Childrens Card Game played by adults.
3. An Anime based off a childrens card game played by adults.

Betamon X: Long live LittleKuriboh!

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Gaomon;17631 said:

So if you never cared for it in the first place, nor have experienced the dub first hand in your own eyes, who are you to critizie what you have not seen nor even care about? That's what's strange to me. It seems you're judging it before you even watch it, as many of the forumers here who disliked Masaru's name change did, and after they did watch it, they thought it was actually quiet decent. You know, I don't understand how people come complain about things they havent even seen yet experienced first hand yet. It's like saying "I hate the shows being shown in Poland!" But who am I to judge when I never even saw it or even care about Poland? The same concept applies to here too.

You disagree without actually experiencing it first, and that, my friend, is the first sign of...a dub hater.

You argument is conflicting....you say you dont watch it because you disagree with it's content, but how can you truly know it's full content without watching it? You're just basing your "content" from name changes only, which is not all that is there in a show.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
The fact that i do watch the dub gives me full right to say i am not liking it for what has been shown so far - or for what is happening with the names. I hope that when we get more action in the latter episodes my view changes.

I've never agreed with dubbing of stuff where changes to original names to something that means something entirely different. (i.e Demon > Creepymon) *i was going to use Vamdemon > Myotismon but that would be me being very biased*

Status
Not open for further replies.