Yatagaramon > Crowmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Vande;17713 said:
The fact that i do watch the dub gives me full right to say i am not liking it for what has been shown so far - or for what is happening with the names. I hope that when we get more action in the latter episodes my view changes.

I've never agreed with dubbing of stuff where changes to original names to something that means something entirely different. (i.e Demon > Creepymon)

But Creepymon's name was never used in the anime, only in the games. In the anime, he was named Daemon, just a one letter difference from Demon. Lately, the Bandai company who controls the games have gained more power, or else Jeff would have kept Yatagaramon. There are alot of cases in toys and games where the Digimon are named differently than in the anime. (i.e. JagerLoewemon in the dub, yet the merchindise uses his Japanese name, KaiserLeomon)

Creepymon is not really a strong argument because it was never anime based, which is what we're talking about.

Some things can't be avoided when dubbing, and we just have to learn to accept that. I don't see people complaining how SaintGalgomon was changed to MegaGargomon. Sure, they changed the name, but it doesnt mean he's not still a "saint." Or how Pinocchimon was changed to Puppetmon...it's still the same concept, he's still a puppet, just named differently.

My favorite quote, "a rose by any other name is still a rose." ....Yatagaramon by any other name is still Yatagaramon. It's not like they're gonna erase his third leg to hide he's Yatagaramon. Besides, on alot of Digidexes now, they have Japanese and English name translations of the names. So if people want to know his original name, they can look it up, or if people want to know why he has a third leg, they can look it up. And if kids (if their parents let them, nowadays, they dont really let kids) wanna know what's the meaning of the third leg, let them look it up.

A name isnt everything. A name doesnt describe who or what you are, it's just a name.

And how many times must I say it's the voice acting what makes a dub great, and how close they are to the story is what really matters? If they changed the story, sure, I can see what you would be complaining about, but the original storyline is there, so complaining about a small detail such as a name is kinda pointless and stupid.

Oh, about the Vamdemon/Myotismon thing....I didnt even know Vamdemon was short for "Vampire/Demon" ...I had to look it up, so I can kinda guess why they changed it. Because of that or the "Demon" part I guess....and Myotismon fits him too....Myotis is like a form of bats or something, which describes one of his main attacks well.

So what is it that you don't like? What is so bad about this dub of Digimon. Despite the name changes, the voice acting are the same as the ones we grew up with, the same people who did the last 4 seasons, which were watch, but season 5 was the one most staying close to the original dialouge? Or is it because of small unplotful changes such as where Masaru was born and whether or not coffee jelly is changed to chocolate pudding.....?

If it makes you happy, just think of all their names as nicknames as I was thinking and like they did in season one. Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi, Yamato "Matt" Ishida. Yoshino "Yoshi", Touma "Thomas", Masaru "Marcus" ....I guess it would be Yatagara "Crow" Mon. (lol)

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Myotismon = Myotis is a type of bat. (few people know it)
It's the really bad changes that are swingin it for being the worst Digimon dub ever so far for me.
BomberNanimon > Citramon, heck they kept bombing in Digimon Adventure 01. I'm not keen on the voice actors (Flynn as Marcus just doesn't work well, same with Thomas' VA it doesn't seem right.)

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Vande;17726 said:
It's the really bad changes that are swingin it for being the worst Digimon dub ever so far for me.
BomberNanimon > Citramon, heck they kept bombing in Digimon Adventure 01. I'm not keen on the voice actors (Flynn as Marcus just doesn't work well, same with Thomas' VA it doesn't seem right.)

And we will never see BomberNanimon/Citramon ever again......nor was he ever an important role to the plot....... And we all know very well why it was changed yet kept in the first season. It's 9/11. Kids who's parents died by it will bring back sorrowful memories. Things like that just don't disappear out of their lives...and not just New York, all of the US...

Voice actors tend to get better as the show progresses. ("tend" being the key word) ....Im not sure about Flynn, cuz I don't know the guy, but I know Freeman is one who tries his best to fit the character. I actually met the guy in person and went to his voice acting panels during Anime Expo. He's a hard worker who doesnt get paid much for doing it, he does it cuz he enjoys it. And if you're not keen with how he's voicing Thomas, I could email him right now and tell him to try and change whatever he's been doing to make it sound better. (Though, I dont know how he could make Thomas sound better, he sounds just like he's supposed to to me....)

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Freeman did an EXCELLENT Dusk/Kouichi voice. It isn't that i don't like his Thomas voice it just sounds too "down" (can't think of another way to describe it) for how Thomas is - mind you he hasn't had much to do plot wise indepth i suspect he will pick up when we get to the better episodes in the series.

I hope it picks up n i get to change my mind but with knowing some of the future dub changes (meanin name changes here) the outlook for me is bleak.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Vande;17726 said:

That is true, but I have heard that the episode 'Return to Highton View Terrace' has gotten butchured on Toon Disney, removiing all the terrorist refrences. I haven't actually seen the ep, but by the sounds of it, (it pains me to say this)but basicly, it's Disney's fault.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Uh, Kazemon15, I know you are a Dub Lover and naturally get agressive if someone says that the Original is superior to the Dub, I withnesses that at the Digiport, where some Guy named Graig ( DA )-a true Idiot I might add-GordoBaggins and some others teamed up against me.

Graig´s Arguments were pretty much those:
You must hate Digimon ! ( when a Troll appeared after my Ban, Graig compared him to me. DC told me about that ) Yeah People who don´t like the Dub automatically hate Digimon. Smartass !
You only hate the Dub because it doesn´t sound German enough = you are a f-ing Nazi ! Do I need to say a word ? Hello,I like my stuff Original !

Also didn´t get better when Jeff Nimoy showed up and pretty much claimed that Digimon is an American Show and that he is God.
Colleen O´Shaugnessy on the other hand agreed with me.
Nimoy was so pissed that I didn´t react like a normal little Dub Lover that he went away. Running away like a Chikcen with it´s head cut-off and a his Tail between his Legs !
That got my banned at the Digiport.

It was a bit more civilized, but not less goofy were some Conversations at Digimon Himitsu. Some of those incluse RaptorScribe, interesting enough one of the subjects was Fairymon.

Fairymon fits better since she is a Fairy.
But she has the Attribute of Wind, therefore Kazemon fits better !
Yes, she has that Atrribute, but she is still a Fairy.
But Fairies don´t fly around in pink Underwear.
Did you ever see a real Fairy ? So you don´t know. Besides that, even a Fairy in Underwear is a Fairy. You don´t change what you are just by wearing underwear.

Then there was the subject of Raptordramon being renamed Reptiledramon
But he is not a specific Raptor, so the anme in incorrect.
The Dramon suggests he is a Dragon. There are many kinds of Raptors. Not all have thy typical foot-claw. He has Feathers , how many Reptiles have Feathers ?

But let you tell me something.

I for once always predicted that the Dub won´t be good as soon as it was first announced ( talking about the US Dub here, although German Dub is als not that good this time. ) Name changes just proved my point any further.
And after seeing the the Dub, i just thought:
"Damm it ! Why do I always have to be right !"

Dub Names usually don´t make as much sense as the Original ones. ( an Expection would be Dolphmon, since Ruka in Rukamon comes from the japanese word for Dolphin ).

A name does indeed describe something. Rosemon is a Rose, Drimogemon is a Mole with a Drill on it´s nose, Anomalocarimon is an Animalocaris ( You know, that guy who is Scorpiomon in the Dub, while the Scorpiomon who is indeed a Scorpion is called SkullScorpiomon )

GordoBaggins

MugenSeiRyuu;17747 said:
Uh, Kazemon15, I know you are a Dub Lover and naturally get agressive if someone says that the Original is superior to the Dub, I withnesses that at the Digiport, where some Guy named Graig ( DA )-a true Idiot I might add-GordoBaggins and some others teamed up against me.

None of us denied the fact that the original is far superior to the dub. You can't stereotype "dub lovers" like that based off of nothing.

You stick words in peoples' mouths a lot and compensate for it by saying they "pretty much said" or "basically said" something when what you're saying isn't even what they implied...

You like your stuff original? Then you might want to watch the original, because no matter how faithful any dub may be, guess what? It's not the original. The Japanese version is.

Ingrimm

MugenSeiRyuu;17747 said:
You only hate the Dub because it doesn´t sound German enough = you are a f-ing Nazi !
Yeah, the old argument. :cool:
(It's not like Digimon wouldn't support that claim anyway... Duftmon? Aussterben? Ernste Wehr? Reichmon? WTF? ^^)

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Vande;17726 said:

At least it wasn't something like fruitbatmon, which seems to be the only well known breed, except vampire bats.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
MugenSeiRyuu;17747 said:
Also didn´t get better when Jeff Nimoy showed up and pretty much claimed that Digimon is an American Show and that he is God.
Colleen O´Shaugnessy on the other hand agreed with me.
Nimoy was so pissed that I didn´t react like a normal little Dub Lover that he went away. Running away like a Chikcen with it´s head cut-off and a his Tail between his Legs !
That got my banned at the Digiport.
Meh? I really don't recall Ms. Colleen saying anything of the sort. Could you refresh my memory?

And of course jeff left. Every one of us started bickering that he was or was not doing a good job. Who really wants to put up with that? It's not that he was scared of you or anything, he just really has no need to please one or two fans out of however many were there.

It was a bit more civilized, but not less goofy were some Conversations at Digimon Himitsu. Some of those incluse RaptorScribe, interesting enough one of the subjects was Fairymon.

Yes, she has that Atrribute, but she is still a Fairy.
But Fairies don´t fly around in pink Underwear.
Did you ever see a real Fairy ? So you don´t know. Besides that, even a Fairy in Underwear is a Fairy. You don´t change what you are just by wearing underwear.

That is the quote of the year. XD

But along those lines, Kazemon>Fairymon would have made a lot more sence if they left Beetlemon as Blitzmon. The dub names kinda give the Digimon a forien, legendary feel (Granted, a Fairy is a legendary creature), and then there is 'Beetle'....that made no sence to me.

Dub Names usually don´t make as much sense as the Original ones. ( an Expection would be Dolphmon, since Ruka in Rukamon comes from the japanese word for Dolphin ).

Marcus = Warlike
Yoshi = Short for Yoshino
Crowmon = Crow (Just not as specific as Yatagaramon)

Most of the names from the previous dubs make sence too. There are a few like Keenan that I admit they just kinda came out of nowhere, but aside from that, they don't just pull names out of a hat.

As for you predicting that the dub would be bad, there is a fine line between 'It IS bad' and 'I THINK it's bad'. You think it's bad. I think it's good. It's all opinion. Unless you are 4Kid's One Piece. Then it IS bad. ;p

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Hagaren Gao;17755 said:
But along those lines, Kazemon>Fairymon would have made a lot more sence if they left Beetlemon as Blitzmon. The dub names kinda give the Digimon a forien, legendary feel (Granted, a Fairy is a legendary creature), and then there is 'Beetle'....that made no sence to me.

Blitz-->Blitzkrieg-->Nazism.

Maybe they're scared of being attacked by Neo-Nazies?

GordoBaggins

Hagaren Gao;17755 said:
Meh? I really don't recall Ms. Colleen saying anything of the sort. Could you refresh my memory?
She said Jeff had a bit of a big ego, with a "^_^" at the end. Take that as you will.

I'm not sure what makes people think that Jeff should care about their opinions in the first place, considering he's probably got much better things to do than exchange retorts with dub flamers. Would YOU appreciate your hard work being criticized by people that are nowhere but the bottom of your target demographic? Let's feel lucky enough that he even gives a crap about the fans.

Ingrimm

Johnzaloog;17757 said:
Maybe they are afraid of good guys with German names?
("Blitz" is nothing more than the German word for "lightning". But of course people think of something else when they hear it.)

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
MugenSeiRyuu;17747 said:

And I know you are a Dub hater because of small things like coffee jelly and where Masaru was born. Sometimes, dubs are superior than their Japanese counter parts, I can name a few if you like. But People like you are not open minded and want to prance around in your own little "stick to the original everything not change a damn thing" world, you miss the big picture. I'm surprised you didnt tell Jeff to to make the original Japanese voice actors learn english so they can redub everything in English. If one doesnt like what is going on, and doesnt like the dub in general, then, I will only say this bluntly stay the hell away from the thread. That simple. The negativity that goes around here brings down those who actually like it. If you like your stuff original, then stop complaining about the dub and go freaking watch the original! As I said before, my Poland reference, who are you to complain about an English dubbed show when you live in Germany?

I wasn't going to say this, because I thought it was a bit cruel, but since you brought of the Digiport thing, I guess I will. Why can't your country just get the original from where it comes from, Japan, instead of going through the US? Don't blame the US because of your countries choices. What the dubbers do here is only for English speaking audience. If it wasnt for considerate people recording what's shown here and posting it online, you wouldnt even get a chance to see it or critizie it. That was what I was trying to get out on the Digiport, in case you were wondering. Fans are not God, Jeff is not God, not even the Japanese people who produced Digimon is not God. You say Jeff is not god, but you sure the hell act like you are a god. You're just one fan, one measly little fan out of millions who doesnt like what it. This forum doesnt even count as a 1% of fandom out there, yet you're complaining like the whole world is watching.

And Hagaren is right, it is all based on opinion. But your opinion doesnt matter unless you have actually watched the show and have an open mind about it. Gaomon claimed s/he didnt watch the show, which is why I went off, asking why the hell the complaining for if s/he didnt give it a chance? Vande watched it, so we both discussed it without any heat between us.

Anyway, @Vande: Yeah, you're right he sounds a little down, but when he first appeared, he did sound calm and collective. I do have a feeling Freeman will improve on this once the pace picks up. I agree, he made an excellent Kouichi/Duskmon. ^_^

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Johnzaloog;17757 said:
Blitz-->Blitzkrieg-->Nazism.

Grr, curse those Nazi beetles.

She said Jeff had a bit of a big ego, with a "^_^" at the end. Take that as you will.
Ah, I remember that now. Amusing ;p

Mugen, all this time I have seen you around, and all I know is you like Digimon, not neccisarilly the english dub. Out of curiosity, is there any U.S. dub that you like?

Mitchfoxbane55

Jyou Kido & Kudamon fan
MugenSeiRyuu;17747 said:
A name does indeed describe something. Rosemon is a Rose, Drimogemon is a Mole with a Drill on it´s nose, Anomalocarimon is an Animalocaris ( You know, that guy who is Scorpiomon in the Dub, while the Scorpiomon who is indeed a Scorpion is called SkullScorpiomon )

As for the dub name Scorpiomon for Anomalocarimon, I feel that in my opinion it is quite alright for Anomalocarimon's dub name because when I had first seen Adventure 01, I had a bit of a hard time trying to pronounce its name and the name is quite long-winded to spell it out.
Plus, it does look like a scorpion (sort of) so the dub name seems quite alright.

I agree that some dub names are very ridiculous like for example, Crowmon for Yatagaramon; the original name is somewhat easy to pronounce if you break up the two words 'Yatta' and 'Gara' for pronounciation and then end it with 'mon'.
Another disturbing ridiculous change I have also found is that Lordknightmon will not be called Crusadermon anymore but instead it's Loadknightmon. They (writers) should keep the dub name Crusadermon for consistancy's sake so that the long-time fans may not be confused.
I understand that Americans (not all) do not like the idea of using 'Lord' for the name of the digimon since many Christians call God 'Lord' in prayers but again, they also ignore the fact that the defination of the word 'lord' is used for important officials too.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Mitchfoxbane55;17769 said:
I understand that Americans (not all) do not like the idea of using 'Lord' for the name of the digimon since many Christians call God 'Lord' in prayers but again, they also ignore the fact that the defination of the word 'lord' is used for important officials too.

I think they would rather change the name and avoid any type of conflict with those some Americans other than leave it and risk the thought of parents complaining.

Although, no one complained in that one ep of Tamers where Guilmon walked in with Takato and his mother exclaimed "Oh dear Lord!" XD ....

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Hagaren Gao;17767 said:
Grr, curse those Nazi beetles.
Just to sound like a dumbass I hope you realize that blitzkrieg is used for "lightning war" the warfare tactics that the Nazis used... Unless you're talking about the panzer... things... the german tanks as beetles? ^_^

And I should note, can you ALL stop attacking each other as if this was only a dub v sub (japanese) debate. Stick to Yatagaramon > Crowmon topic, mostly to the names. I'm tired of thinking that the only input I see in here would be "You dub hater _______" or "you dub lover _____"

If Japanese mythology and other such things were more established in American society as things such as Aztec culture and such, I'd bet you they wouldn't change it. I think this is more, Americans don't need to have to learn of other languages, let's change it. It's more American's willingness to be ignorant.

My comment on the whole "Yoshino" with "Yoshi" nickname comment, I didn't stick around long enough to hear "Yoshi" but reading it does make me think of Yoshi. Why? Because I grew up on Mario. I grew up on that world, and if I hear Mario or Wario or Toad or Peach or Yoshi, I sure as hell would think of the Mario Bros. World and in turn, Yoshi as the little... dino... thing... he is.

Ingrimm

Kage;17779 said:
If Japanese mythology and other such things were more established in American society as things such as Aztec culture and such, I'd bet you they wouldn't change it. I think this is more, Americans don't need to have to learn of other languages, let's change it. It's more American's willingness to be ignorant.
That's the great thing about dubs: they give people in other countries to learn something new about the country the original comes from. Erasing Kanji from billboards and removing references to Japanese mythology and everyday life are just... wrong. Is it bad for American children to see that there are other countries besides America out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.