Yatagaramon > Crowmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
You have to remember Jetix/FOX aims the show for LITTLE KIDS... not grown adults and teens (like us). Most 6 - 13 year olds don't know nor care about how it's supposed to be and don't know any better. How many of us ACTUALLY knew the japanese digimon names for Adventure before we watched it on FOX? I was in high school when it hit the US and didn't end up actually doing research on it until 02 when I started college. (you lucky kids today and your torrents! Back in the day we watched anime on REAL PLAYER! ..and we LIKED IT...kinda. D: )

Plus, can you honestly picture a 10 year old trying to prounounce Yatagaramon? I have trouble sometime if I'm not thinking about it. Some parent is probably going to end up over reacting when there kid starts "speaking in tongues" and having their younger sister come home possessed by demons.

This doesn't justify what they did as being right, or even remotely correct, but in the end they're targetting it to kids and dumbing it down for THEM.

And...... Ostrichmon? ... I was thinking Emumon. lol.

Cael

<b><font color="#4e7d40">Head Scanlator</font><br>
Plus, can you honestly picture a 10 year old trying to prounounce Yatagaramon? I have trouble sometime if I'm not thinking about it. Some parent is probably going to end up over reacting when there kid starts "speaking in tongues" and having their younger sister come home possessed by demons.

Yeah but if the show said it then the kids could easily mimic the pronounciation. I seriously doubt a 6 year old can pronounce Paildramon right. They are sooo going to say Pale-Druh-Mahn and not Pie-Eel-Druh-Mahn.

That's why I don't think pronounciation had everything to do with it. An american 6-10 year old would not know what it meant at all unless they were a kid genius. And Crowmon is shorter and easier to write. Those people were probably lazy.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Kay-El;17140 said:
and my sarcasm fails because I think the name is plain and boring. :/
The fact that Yatagaramon is japanese does not make it more interesting. Crowmon sounds fine. And by the way, HE IS A FREAKING CROW. Besides, Peckmon is more more boring than Crowmon will ever be.

I wonder why they didn't name Peckmon -> Ostrichmon. :/
Because it's english already?
Also...didn't Jeff say that there wouldn't be many name changes because editting Digivolution scenes were hard and time consuming? Yes he did. LIAR!
He didn't want to change DigiSoul Charge either, but look what happened.

So they are going to change Yatagaramon -> Crowmon but they couldn't change the Z in Rize to an S? OH THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOOOOO HARD. OH NO! D: and I bet it wasn't hard changing B.Nanimon to an Orange either.
If that one letter changes, every freaking Savers fan would riot =_=

And I also don't care what Jeff says. His head is too far up in his ass. He is so obviously tired at getting bitched at. When asked a yes or no answer on if it would be the name on the show, a paragraph explanation on how its not his fault was not needed. It just shows that he's scared of getting bitched at xD

Maybe he is completely stuck up, but what do you expect? He got attacked on the DigiPort chat, people keep complaining that Yoshi reminds them on a dinosair because they are totally single minded, every little change isn;t acceptable. Why would anyone want to put up with that crap? If you don't like the 'pointless' name changes and edits, don't watch the show! Stick to your subs because they are obviously superior, or go make your own fandub. Just stop complaining and dragging everyone else down.

Yeah but if the show said it then the kids could easily mimic the pronounciation. I seriously doubt a 6 year old can pronounce Paildramon right. They are sooo going to say Pale-Druh-Mahn and not Pie-Eel-Druh-Mahn.
Probablly so, but I knew a 8-10 year old kid who pronounced Vegeta 'Buhgeta'. So anyhting is possible, I guess.

I'm NOT trying to single anyone out, Kay-El just happened to be there =___=

(Imgonna prepare for the flames now)

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Anyone else flames they get warned no matter who they are.
Was it Jeff's fault - it would indicate not but i aint fully convinced, no i don't like this dub change but it won't be put back to Yatagara.
sp yea stop flaming Jeff.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Kids aren't that stupid, my 9-year old cousin learned how to say polymerization. They'd probably make a few attempts to get it right, but they'd probably manage.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Tcatomon said:
can you honestly picture a 10 year old trying to prounounce Yatagaramon?
Just as much as I can one trying to pronounce Shakkoumon (which is probably the hardest Digimon name to pronounce ever, since there's a whole invisible syllable in there).

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Hagaren Gao;17156 said:
The fact that Yatagaramon is japanese does not make it more interesting. Crowmon sounds fine. And by the way, HE IS A FREAKING CROW. Besides, Peckmon is more more boring than Crowmon will ever be.

He is also based off of Yatagarasu, the three-legged crow of Japanese legend who was associated with Amaterasu. He is more akin to Yatagarasu in his design and attacks than to just plain "crow". It was a fine cultural reference, if you ask me. I learned what a lot of Japanese words meant, and learned a few of the many things I know on Japanese mythology because of digimon names when I was younger, and I find it a little sad to find that taken away this time, regardless of whose decision it was.

Honestly, if they're just fine using names like "Kabuterimon" and "Megakabuterimon" in the English dubs, then what, pray tell, makes "Yatagaramon" too difficult?

I'd also like to point out that I do -not- watch the dub (and even if I had tv, I still wouldn't), but still reserve the right to bitch about it with everyone else. In an age where anime is becoming less and less censored in our country, it's too bad that this season of digimon has gone for a large number of unnecessary rewrites once again. It was fine just as it was.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Gaomon;17185 said:
Honestly, if they're just fine using names like "Kabuterimon" and "Megakabuterimon" in the English dubs, then what, pray tell, makes "Yatagaramon" too difficult?

Yep, Adventure 02 had even worse, What about Ukio Oekawa (no clue about spelling). I can remember commenting on his difficult name but I learnt it alright (I was about 12).

GordoBaggins

I don't dub names as anything unlike "rose" in English and "rosa" in Spanish anymore. Thus, this one was unexpected, but as both an original and dub fan Imma get used to it. :-p

And it would be very immature (not to mention unprofessional) for Jeff to -not- admit to changing a dub name at his own will, ignoring the fact that it's not just his decision, but probably a joint decision...

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Therefore proving my point that he is not as im portant as he thinks.
So who are the idiots ? Disney ? Bandai America ? Toei America ? ( the latter two are like bootleg versions of their japanese counterparts )

Oh, I have of some Idiotic Wannabe Digimon-Fans actually talking about how it is a good change.

Let me guess, next is them revealing that BioCoatlmon will be called BioQuetzalmon. ( Since the Dub name of Coatlmon , although coatlmon makes more sense, since ot refers to Quetzlacoatl. Quetzalmon might aswell refer to the Bird known as Quetzal. That´s a green bird with some huge-ass Tail Feathers )

I also wouldn´t be too surprised if Gizmon´s name is used as Gizumon.

Wasn´t online for a while. So excuse me if something of that was already revealed, proving that I´m good !

Tcatomon;17152 said:
Some parent is probably going to end up over reacting when there kid starts "speaking in tongues" and having their younger sister come home possessed by demons.

LOL !

jadenik;17146 said:
actually a raven is bigger than a crow and ravens are nocturnal.

Not really nocturnal, but they are also active at night. They are also way meaner, stronger and smarter. Especially that one specific Raven I know. Has a tendency to bite off the heads of scarecrows and beats up Birds of Prey twice it´s size.

amigobro2

MugenSeiRyuu;17461 said:
Let me guess, next is them revealing that BioCoatlmon will be called BioQuetzalmon. ( Since the Dub name of Coatlmon , although coatlmon makes more sense, since ot refers to Quetzlacoatl. Quetzalmon might aswell refer to the Bird known as Quetzal. That´s a green bird with some huge-ass Tail Feathers )

I also wouldn´t be too surprised if Gizmon´s name is used as Gizumon.

Actually, it would be better and more appropriate if the name would be Quetzalcoatlmon and BioQuetzalcoatlmon, as "Quetzal" and "Coatl" are both only halves of the original Aztec sky and creator god, Quetzalcoatl. So, their both basically wrong, but I do get your point for it being referred to the bird Quetzal, and Coatl meaning serpent in the ancient Native American language of the Aztecs, Nahuatl. However, naming this Digimon as ONLY Coatlmon is just as bad because Coatl means ONLY serpent in Nahuatl, NOT a serpent with wings, i.e. Quetzalcoatl. I would really prefer it to be accurate and be Quetzalcoatlmon and BioQuetzalcoatlmon. :D

LOL, that was today's little history/anthropology/linguistic lesson! :p

And as for the Gizmon to Gizumon, I'm gonna be honest with you, I've ALWAYS thought Gizmon was actually Gizumon, lol, so, this change is kinda funny for me, and makes it easier to remember it's name, lol!!! :p

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
And then there is Quetzalcoatlus. Neither feathered, not a Snake.

I actually think of Coatl being short for the name. But since it refers to the Snake part, it still makes more sense then the Dub one, which refers to the feathers, since she is mainly Snake. A theme also found in BioLotusmon´s Design. And ofcourse the good old Snake Nanamis.

amigobro2

MugenSeiRyuu;17466 said:
And then there is Quetzalcoatlus. Neither feathered, not a Snake.

I actually think of Coatl being short for the name. But since it refers to the Snake part, it still makes more sense then the Dub one, which refers to the feathers, since she is mainly Snake. A theme also found in BioLotusmon´s Design. And ofcourse the good old Snake Nanamis.

Mmhm, you're right and what you said is VERY true! Coatlmon would be a better name than Quetzalmon, as Quetzal is just the bird, or a winged beast/animal. But I still like Quetzalcoatlmon and BioQuetzalcoatlmon, if the dub would have actually done a smart thing and rename her/him with the "Quetzal" added in the front, but I guess either they didn't do their FULL research, or they are just being freaking lazy and stupid about naming a snake-based creature after a bird!!!!! :mad:

But another thing, doesn't "lotus" mean a type of plant or something, or a mixture between a snake and plant.....I'm not really clear on that..... :confused:

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Lotus is a type of plant. Seems to be used in Chinese Medicine. BioLotusmon/Lotusmon´s staff looks like a "Rod of Asclepius". That´s where the Snake Design comes in.

BTW: I also think that BioCoatl sounds better than BioQuetzal. Perhaps due to Quetzalcoatl.

amigobro2

MugenSeiRyuu;17468 said:
Lotus is a type of plant. Seems to be used in Chinese Medicine. BioLotusmon/Lotusmon´s staff looks like a "Rod of Asclepius". That´s where the Snake Design comes in.

BTW: I also think that BioCoatl sounds better than BioQuetzal. Perhaps due to Quetzalcoatl.

Oh, I see now, I kinda knew some of that, but not fully, lol!!!!! :D

Yes, I wondered who thought of the name "Quetzalmon", that's only half right, guess they were either "high" or "drunk", roflmao!!!!! :p

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Gaomon;17185 said:
He is also based off of Yatagarasu, the three-legged crow of Japanese legend who was associated with Amaterasu. He is more akin to Yatagarasu in his design and attacks than to just plain "crow". It was a fine cultural reference, if you ask me. I learned what a lot of Japanese words meant, and learned a few of the many things I know on Japanese mythology because of digimon names when I was younger, and I find it a little sad to find that taken away this time, regardless of whose decision it was.

And a little 10 year old kind is actually going to search the web to find the meaning of what "Yatagaramon" means. I highly doubt that.

Also, Yatagaramon, you have to really try hard to pronouce it, even I have to say it slowly to pronouce it right, whilist Kabuterimon is spelled just as it sounds "Ka-boo-terry-mon" which is fairly easy to pronouce without difficulties.

Besides, arent dubs based on how good the voice actors are other than what the names are? Most cut dub, I kid you not, is a hell of alot better voiced than uncut DVD dubs. A dub is changing it from its original language into a language we understand, and if changing a name makes us understand it more, then change it. Only about 20% of fandom actually cares where anime comes from...the other 80% only care if the voices dont sound like robots reading scripts. So of course Disney or whatever would only take into account the larger percentage (just as every other anime company) does.

In case you havent noticed, most anime DVDs dont even put suffixes in the subtitles. Because it's for the larger percentage of anime fans who could care less about that.

Sure, the dub of Digimon had some of the worst jokes, changed some concept and names....but the voice actors and how they voiced the characters is the real deal. I would like someone to name at least one dub that has direct from Japanese to English translations, and actually keeps suffixes and actually sounds decent. Not one has that.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
All this stuff about names and such...

I wonder why the US (or the translators) never felt the urge to change Tenochititlan (did i spell that right?) or Quetzalcoatl into different things. >_>; Lord knows how long it takes me to attempt to say Tenochititlan (about 3 seconds) and I'm 18.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
This may be a bit "out of line" but why was it always spelt cloatlmon, it sounded like "Cloatalimon" to me.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
It is to be Gizumon which i aint all that bothered about. Not all that fussed over BioCoatlmon > BioQuetzalmon (since the name Coatl was dubbed previously so i'm used to it)

Status
Not open for further replies.