Data Squad Episode 1 Reactions

celestial_sacred

MugenSeiRyuu;11514 said:
If you ask Nimoy about things like that, he goes all hysteric and you can be glad that he isn´t in front of you with a gun.

Serious?

Kage;11534 said:
I think I read that it's only going to be referred to like... maybe 4 times and then gone.

I wonder what Agumon will call Masaru then.

Kazemon15;11520 said:
You know what, I bet you'd be bashing it even IF they kept it all original. Because most "kept original" dub, their voices suck.

Yeah. Most "kept original" dubs have bad voices. There's still a possibility that it'll be good.

If it isnt change, you'd be complaining about how they ruined the character with the voice. Sounds to me like you just want to complain about any little thing of a dub. If we had a perfect adaptation of a dub, hell, we might as well be watching it in Japanese.

Whether original or dub, anyone will still judge their voices. I doubt you didn't complain about the dub at all.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Kazemon15;11520 said:
You know, wasnt it stated Disney made Jeff change it last minute? So I don't know why you keep bashing him who gave you a decent dub.

I know, but Nimoy still acts like he is the Big Bossmonkey.

Kazemon15;11520 said:
You know what, I bet you'd be bashing it even IF they kept it all original. Because most "kept original" dub, their voices suck. If it isnt change, you'd be complaining about how they ruined the character with the voice. Sounds to me like you just want to complain about any little thing of a dub. If we had a perfect adaptation of a dub, hell, we might as well be watching it in Japanese.

I ask you now, what would you rather have: A dub with a few changes but great voice actors or a dub that stays all to the original yet the voice actors sound like crap?

Because those are your only two options when it really comes down to it.

The parts they kept from the Original where good, but the changes sucked.

And I know that you bash the Original anyways.

celestial_sacred;11536 said:

Serious !

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
I know. I managed to scare away Nimoy at the Digiport. And despite thinking that Nimoy is a ....well let´s say I don´t like Nimoy and his Attitude I feel bad for doing so.

But one last thing, Kazemon15. Since I said that I´ll leave the Digiport Forever, I´ll answer that nasty last comment here and now !
"And Mugen, just because your country doesnt know how to translate Anime from Japanese to German doesnt give you the right to bash something the United States dubbed."

Germany does know how to translate Anime form Japanese to German Did you actually read my post ?

How about we all stop arguing? :)
I tend to prefer subbed over dubbed < hoping it will change to raws soon :D;;, but sometimes the original isn't all that great either. I mean, take Full Moon wo Sagashite for example. Mizuki's voice just bothered me. Dubs are bound to change some things, at the very least. There's really no avoiding that. Also, 99% of the time there will be something you don't like. It's mostly due to cultural differences. Take like...the last episode for example. You KNOW that the fact that they're drinking sake is going to be changed to drinking, oh I don't know, soda.
I disagree that there are only two options. There are rare cases where the voices are decent and the script is kept very close to the original. Take Funimation and Yu Yu Hakusho, for example. I liked the original and dub equally...pretty much. Gosh, I need to watch it again :3. I miss it now :-O.
And a bit late, but yes, LOL at the spoilers in the credits xD. I ranted about that for awhile along with Kamemon talking x). It was a OMGYOUCAN'TSHOWTHATNOW.ITRUINSITFOREVERYONEELSE. moment.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
This is not a generalized dub vs original topic. This is a "Reactions to episode 1" topic.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
It had Ikuto and Falcomon...

and and... I didn't even KNOW WHO KURATA WAS until he first showed up. Now people are going to wonder for 20 weeks (or so) about who he is. He's like... the third or so pic.

But but... Second!outfits are funny. It's like... heeeeeyyyyy how come they aren't wearing these nice pretty outfits??

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
Well, some of the stuff I knew was going to happen, just lots of padding for the children, for example:

-Gas leak instead of bomb threat.
-No Agumon groin shot.
-No nuts shoot. (I think it is because nuts is kind of bad if used out of good context, so using seed is safer, don't cha think?)
-The pudding instead of coffee jelly. [It is hard to eat pudding with that small of a flat utensil. (Coffee jelly is good!)]
-Also the language is kind of censor and toned down.
-Masaru/Marcus is now a ultimate fighter not a street fighter. (Guess it is a better roll model for the kids.)

Oh and one last thing for me, tho it could be just me, but doesn't Masaru/Marcus sort of sounds like he know too much about the Digital world than he should at that moment. Okay I lied one more thing and I know you guys said this allot but I totally agree with the Kamemon talking, that just totally threw me off.

I didn't mind the opening it was okay, nothing like the previous ones. Then ending was okay, also agree that they spoil so much with the opening and the ending, I was surprised and agree that is was such a hack job. Tho it is hard to make out what will happen in the future if you never saw it before. I also didn't like how some of the textovers looks kind of badly pasted to me. The names I could get use to over time, but not Yoshi, that too me still sounds like a guys name (I had a guy in my class in HS that was named Yoshi.) I still wanna hear Touma/Thomas and Gaomon's voiceovers, well sort of I love the Japanese ones so much that I might get depressed when I hear these ones. Overall I think things were as expected for this series being dubbed for North America.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but two signs were replaced. One on the front door of the tower Marcus hid Agumon in (I can't remember what it originally said, but it said 'closed' in the dub), and one on a garage in the scene where Kokatorimon turned into an egg (And it said...garage.).

I'm not sure if the second one was really neccisary, but whatever.

...And am I the only one who is completely ok with the name Yoshi? It doesn't remind me of a dinosaur at ALL. It's just a name...

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
I'm okay with Yoshi. It seems more like a close friend name that Lalamon uses.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
To me, I just couldn't actually think of Raramon calling Yoshino by the nickname. I always had the sense that she was really close to Yoshino, extremely, but in a way that she didn't need to call her anything BUT her name. I guess.. replace Gaomon's "Master" for "Touma" and you kinda get it? @_@ Though it's not too bad. I just have to work on not thinking of little Yoshi if I hear it. XD Yoshi~

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
I saw it this morning, and I surprised myself by how pleased I was with the job.

First off, the intro. The theme's way better than I expected (which was something along the horror of last year's Power Rangers theme song), but this is actually pretty darn catchy, especially once you get to the "never surrender" part. But the abrupt ending makes me think Thorsten's real submission is a minute long (somebody needs to track him down and finagle an MP3!) As for the frames chosen, it was rather hodgepodge. Jap intro here, future episodes and characters there, nothing really synching with the lyrics. Bleh.

The edits were incredibly minimal, even allowing (what I felt was much too violent for Disney's standards) Masar--Marcus kneeing Agumon in the chin. Him saying he wanted to be the "ultimate fighter" though made me think he wants to join the IFL, LOL. But as for the obvious removal of the groin kick, did they really need the comic book explosion frame? I'd have just cut the frame rather than replace it. As for the Digivolution sequence, I did see they kept the word 'Evolution' visible on the Digivice, but why? I know they can't have done the same for the subsequent sequences, especially since seeing the words 'Ultimate Evolution' would meet with an extreme mind-bend for people who know that level as Mega..... But Yoshino kept her name! So I'm happy!

The voicework was excellent, save the two main characters themselves. I'd told my brother back when I started watching Savers that replacing any of the girls wouldn't bother me in the least, and it really didn't. Megumi's voice seems especially more appropriate for her than the Japanese one ever did. Colleen gives a much needed edge to Yoshino. Paul St. Peter is just too good at the gruff exterior-type character, and thankfully Kudamon finally sounds like a guy. But Quinton's Marcus is too much wiseguy and not enough badass, kind of like the difference between TMNT 1987 Raphael and today's 4Kids version, but I did like the use of slang to refer to Yoshino by. And I'm sorry, but Beacock's Agumon just sounds like Takato with a slight drooling problem. His GeoGreymon was all right, though, I never did like GeoGreymon's original seiyuu, not monster-like enough.

And the background music actually wasn't so bad. Thorsten's theme song still didn't give me the thrills during the Digivolution sequence that the first two theme songs used to, but it was fitting. I wouldn't have missed Believer at all if it hadn't been the best J-Pop song ever made. XD

So, all in all, really cool. This is my first time seeing an anime dub after the original, so I'm really lucky that something aimed primarily at children AND being produced under the watchful eye of Disney could turn out so well in tact.

Hagaren Gao said:
Isn't the dub supposed to AGE characters? XD
If I'm remembering right, Tamers (I hate that season, so excuse me if I'm mistaken) had the kids at 13 years old, yet the dub made them 10.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
It was the other way around. They made them 13 in the Dub. Yeah, they totally looked like 13, didn´t they?:D

Also seems like you have to change your Avatar a bit.

PrimoPiccolo;11586 said:
As for the Digivolution sequence, I did see they kept the word 'Evolution' visible on the Digivice, but why? I know they can't have done the same for the subsequent sequences, especially since seeing the words 'Ultimate Evolution' would meet with an extreme mind-bend for people who know that level as Mega.....

I guess that´s one of those things that would have been too much work to replace. That´s the reason why no Digimno Names were changed. Too much work. Atleast according to Nimoy.

PrimoPiccolo;11586 said:
Megumi's voice seems especially more appropriate for her than the Japanese one ever did.

Actually her Voice fits perfect for her Japanese Version. But might have problem fitting for an Englsih-speaking Version.

PrimoPiccolo;11586 said:
Colleen gives a much needed edge to Yoshino.

Needed for the US Version, yes. Still think that Yui Aragaki is a good VA, just a bit unexperienced at the beginning.

PrimoPiccolo;11586 said:
Paul St. Peter is just too good at the gruff exterior-type character, and thankfully Kudamon finally sounds like a guy.

I still like his/her/its Original Voice more. Puts more mystery to Kudamon. But remember since Kudamon is a Child Level, it shouldn´t sound like a grown man.

digiboy123;11579 said:
I'm okay with Yoshi. It seems more like a close friend name that Lalamon uses.

I wouldn´t be too surprised if the other Characters start calling her Yoshi soon.

Devkyu

Wha...?
As far as the theme song goes... even Frontier's shitty dub song was better. It'd be slightly okay if it were for the horrendously corny lyrics.

For someone who is playing a MAIN CHARACTER, Masaru's voice actor is just horrible. I'm honestly wondering how someone legitimately gets paid for a pitiful performance like that. The side characters were better than him and Agumon. I would be utterly ashamed to have a shoddy performance like that that broadcasted.

Yoshino's actress did a good job, Satsuma's was also very good. Kudamon, even though his voice didn't particular fit the character also did a good job.

Honestly, I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to change all of the music. It's an insult to the original work. It changes the entire feel of the series.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
I wonder... if Gaumon is Thomas slave... (as much as Agumon is Masaru(what's his name?) employee)

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
never in a million years will all fans be pleased with changes, changes have to happen for younger kids, i never really like changes but some of them are acceptable and i can understand the reasons as to why.

In some cases what Nimoy wanted to do couldn't be done cause his bosses stopped him (Digisoul > DNA being the main one we know of so far).

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
MugenSeiRyuu;11597 said:
Actually her Voice fits perfect for her Japanese Version. But might have problem fitting for an Englsih-speaking Version.
I have to agree; Megumi's Japanese voice really really irrated me.

I haven't heard the dub one yet (watching it tomorrow \o/) but just about anything could be better than the Japanese one.

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Hagaren Gao;11577 said:
I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but two signs were replaced. One on the front door of the tower Marcus hid Agumon in (I can't remember what it originally said, but it said 'closed' in the dub), and one on a garage in the scene where Kokatorimon turned into an egg (And it said...garage.).

Bit late ;x

But anyway, the signs said, in japanese, "Closed for today", which is basically the same thing. I never saw the second one translated, but I'm sure it's probably correct too :p

Also, weren't the attack names correct in the game? :<