Data Squad Episode 1 Reactions

Ritzbitz8

Please tell me 'Marcus's' performance improved from the game, because I absolutely could not tolerate his voice in it. I thought Kudamon sounded great, however.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
MugenSeiRyuu;11402 said:
Relative close to the Original.
Seems about as close as the Funimation dubs, imo.

-I miss Masaru calling Agumon a Frog.
I watched the sub before watching the dub and i really don't remember this happeneing, although I was cleaning as I watched. Wonder if Rythm's simular line in the movie will be replaced.
-Yushima talking about DNA like that did not really make sense.
'Charge your DNA' sounds intensely stupid. I'll live with DNA Charge itself, but ti makes me worry about the furture DigiSoul Full Charge and OVerdrive lines. DNA Overdrive is just...no.

-Laaaaaa instead of Ra...Ra...Mon when realizing. That makes Raramon sound hysteric.
Did she say anything? I didn't hear her at all.

I could have sword Yoshino mentioned that Marcus was 14, but that may be my imagination. Isn't the dub supposed to AGE characters? XD

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
... Marcus is in 8th grade. @_@ I thought he was older than 14... I thought he was 16 when er... his dad left. o.o;

His voice reminds me of any VA from Yu-Gi-Oh. XP

And I STILL don't understand DNA Charge. And "employee" it just sounds... no. XD >_> Overall, ok. Just not... really really good. "Unlock his DNA" wtf.

Also, LOL AT MAJOR SPOILERS IN OP AND ED. XDDDD

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
Masaru was about 8 or so when his dad left. >_> Somewhere around there I guess. Maybe 5.

And DNA stands for Digimon Natural Ability.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
.... lol I know in Savers he's younger than Yoshino. @_@ But.. 8th grade? I don't think he was THAT young.

<_< LOL seriously at spoilers in the OP and ED. First pic in the ED is of them in their second outfits.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
it still seems weird, but at least we have an explination that it isn't DNA but D.N.A, it makes it almost liveable.

celestial_sacred

Kage;11490 said:
Also, LOL AT MAJOR SPOILERS IN OP AND ED. XDDDD

Haha. Just realised that.

digiboy123;11491 said:
And DNA stands for Digimon Natural Ability.

Oh.. That sounds so much better. Was it mentioned? By the way, I thought it was the ability to evolve given by humans, not natural.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Jeff Nimoy let GOC know what it actually meant and it will be explained in a future epi. Still at least we know.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
It however originally comes from the Digimon Accelerator. Don´t ask me why they chose this instead of the DigiSoul used in the iCs and Bursts.

If you ask Nimoy about things like that, he goes all hysteric and you can be glad that he isn´t in front of you with a gun.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I always thought DigiSoul just made sense. >_>;; Why fix what isn't broken?

Joey

&hearts; Webcomic Fiend &hearts;
I think that the dub is actually pretty good. =O
The voice acting is decent, and yes, they changed some stuff, but it's not so drastic as to ruin the whole thing.

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Looks like I'll have to wait for youtube, seeing as I have no tv in my apartment.

"Employee"? That's a big greasy LOL right there. Do they actually admit to Masaru pretty much being nothing more than a street punk/dropout (was he a dropout?) who talks like a gang member? Or is that kind of terminology trying to cover that up? That'll be funny for when Masaru gets pissed multiple times at Agumon getting hurt. "NO ONE HURTS MY EMPLOYEE."

About Tamers dub voices...I LIKED what they did with them. In Adventure dub, the digimon's voices got a total turn-around. Agumon went from sounding like skippy peanut butter on wheat to freakin' Mr. T on steriods. I had trouble remembering that the adult and child forms were actually the same digimon sometimes. When Guilmon kept his voice as Growlmon, he felt like Guilmon the whole time, and was therefore easier to identify as a character.

Just my two cents.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
MugenSeiRyuu;11516 said:
Sometimes I think that Dubbers only do things like that because they can.

You know, wasnt it stated Disney made Jeff change it last minute? So I don't know why you keep bashing him who gave you a decent dub.

You know what, I bet you'd be bashing it even IF they kept it all original. Because most "kept original" dub, their voices suck. If it isnt change, you'd be complaining about how they ruined the character with the voice. Sounds to me like you just want to complain about any little thing of a dub. If we had a perfect adaptation of a dub, hell, we might as well be watching it in Japanese.

I ask you now, what would you rather have: A dub with a few changes but great voice actors or a dub that stays all to the original yet the voice actors sound like crap?

Because those are your only two options when it really comes down to it.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
There's many easy things to pick out and say against the dub. It's just "ok" for me. Personally I'd rather they keep things the same with ok voice actors. Mainly because I don't pay attention to voice acting except for a) omg that sounds so... childlike and b) wtf is with that accent?

:) I like to pick at things anyways.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Kage;11522 said:
There's many easy things to pick out and say against the dub. It's just "ok" for me. Personally I'd rather they keep things the same with ok voice actors. Mainly because I don't pay attention to voice acting except for a) omg that sounds so... childlike and b) wtf is with that accent?

:) I like to pick at things anyways.

So, you rather have everything original with robotic voice acting and just reading off the script? Because there are some dubs like that. It'd be like:

Masaru: "Oh..you hurt my partner...die..."

I really think what makes a dub good is not how they change things, but the voice acting behind it. After all, isnt it called dub for a reason? Meaning, changed to our language? As in, voice acting?

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Which is why I'd say I'd prefer subbing over dubbing. I read faster than normal people anyhow so that's never been a problem. I've grown UP with subbing anyways. Original Jackie Chan/Jet Li movies are things I grew up with. So, I guess I SHOULD say I do prefer subs over dubs.

And I didn't say I wanted robotic voices. I said if I had to get dubs, I'd prefer ok voices. Besides, over-exaggeration is not always very good. Take the Taiwanese Live Action of Hana Kimi and you see why people disliked Ella who played Rui Xui/Ashiya Mizuki.

Edit: And I'm not even bashing it so I don't see why you're getting defensive over my dislike.

Honza_N

Actually, I too prefer if the dub is as close to original as possible, even though voices aren't that good. The voices can be pretty much very good, but if the script and BGM ruin the soul of original work, I can't call it good dub. This, for example, is IMO the case for Tamers (the only Digimon series so far I watch in english dub). That is my opinion.

-----------------------------------------

Now, back to the topic with my opinion to Data Squad dub.

BGM: They changed it, but unlike Tamers, it feels right, so it didn't bother me so much.
Script: There were some annoying changes, but those were mentioned many times above, so I will not repeat it. Other than that, it was decent dub.
Voices: The only two voices really bugged me, were Sampson (who were too deep to my taste) and Marcus (who were too high pitched and less rude to my taste).

Overall, not bad dub, but I feel it still can be better.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Gaomon;11518 said:
"Employee"? That's a big greasy LOL right there. Do they actually admit to Masaru pretty much being nothing more than a street punk/dropout (was he a dropout?) who talks like a gang member? Or is that kind of terminology trying to cover that up? That'll be funny for when Masaru gets pissed multiple times at Agumon getting hurt. "NO ONE HURTS MY EMPLOYEE."

Jeff sent a message to GoC saying that the 'Employee' line was just a joke, and will only be used a copuple times in the future. Then it will kinda dissapear.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Hagaren Gao;11533 said:
Jeff sent a message to GoC saying that the 'Employee' line was just a joke, and will only be used a copuple times in the future. Then it will kinda dissapear.

I think I read that it's only going to be referred to like... maybe 4 times and then gone.