Country and Languages

chazle

<b>Super Special Awesome Translator</b>
Takayu Syaoran;2011 said:
Well, I'm from Ireland, so I speak English, and Gaelic.

Conas atá tú, DATS?

I thought that it's not really called Gaelic but Irish--Gaelic being, like, an older form of Irish? C'mon, Pazuzu, back me up here! In any case, cool!

I'm from the US of A, and speak English (DUH), French on a mid-fluent level (give me 4 or 5 months of living there, and I think I could say that I would pass undetected as a native speaker), and working on Japanese at the moment (studying in Tokyo). I'm at a decent level, but as always, there's room for improvement! Oh, and I know some random phrases in Spanish, Italian, German and Mandarin, but that doesn't count at all. I think the next language that I might want to tackle is either Spanish or German--Spanish for its benri-ness or German for the beauty of the language. Nice to meet y'all!

nezucho

<b>Encoder</b><br>Resident Rodent
我会说english,日本语,フランス語 et un peu de chinois .

unfortunately none of them particularly well D:

Takayu Syaoran

The GoggleBoy is BACK!!
cac73hoya;2012 said:
I thought that it's not really called Gaelic but Irish--Gaelic being, like, an older form of Irish? C'mon, Pazuzu, back me up here! In any case, cool!

The language is usually referred to in English as "Irish", sometimes as "Gaelic", or in general terms as Irish Gaelic as you said, but this is only done when discussing other Goidelic languages. Gaelic is often used in the Irish diaspora. Simply calling the language "Irish" is a precise indication of its constitutional status as the national language of the Republic of Ireland, and by extension, the Irish people.

In the Caighdeán Oifigiúil (the official written standard) the name of the language is "Gaeilge", which reflects the southern Connacht pronunciation.

Before the spelling reform of 1948, this form was spelled Gaedhilge; originally this was the genitive of Gaedhealg, the form used in classical Modern Irish. Older spellings of this include Gaoidhealg in Middle Irish and Goídelc in Old Irish.

Other forms of the name found in the various modern Irish dialects, in addition to south Connacht Gaeilge mentioned above, include Gaedhilic/Gaeilic/Gaeilig, or Gaedhlag in Ulster Irish and northern Connacht Irish and Gaedhealaing/Gaoluinn/Gaelainn in Munster Irish.

And now a bit of Wiki Information, since I'm too lazy to type anymore, and at work, so I really can't.

The Official Status of Irish is given recognition by the Constitution of Ireland as the first official language of Ireland (with English being a second official language), despite the limited distribution of fluency among the population of the country. Since the foundation of the Irish Free State in 1922 (see also History of the Republic of Ireland), the Irish Government required a degree of proficiency in Irish for all civil service positions (including postal workers, tax officials, agricultural inspectors, etc.), as well as for employees of state companies (e.g.RTÉ, ESB, etc).

Proficiency in Irish for entrance to the public service ceased to be a compulsory requirement in 1974, in part through the actions of protest organizations like the Language Freedom Movement. While the requirement was also dropped for wider public service jobs, such as teaching, Irish remains a required subject of study in all schools within the Republic which receive public money (see also Education in the Republic of Ireland). The need for a pass in Leaving Certificate Irish for entry to the Gardaí (police) was dropped in September 2005, although applicants are given lessons in the language during the two years of training. Most official documents of the Irish Government are published in both Irish and English. On January 18, 2007, Marian Harkin, a North West Independent MEP, became the first MEP to officially address the European Parliament in Irish (although several other Irish MEPs had done so previously in an unofficial capacity).

In 1938, the founder of Conradh na Gaeilge (The Gaelic League), Douglas Hyde (an Anglican), was inaugurated as the first President of Ireland. The record of his delivering his auguration Declaration of Office in his native Roscommon Irish remains almost the only surviving remnant of anyone speaking in that dialect.

The National University of Ireland, Galway is required to appoint a person who is competent in the Irish language, as long as they meet all other respects of the vacancy they are appointed to. This requirement is laid down by the University College Galway Act, 1929 (Section 3) and recently was subject of a High Court case on the matter - it is expected that the requirement may be repealed in due course.

As an official language of the European Union all legislation and documents of major public importance or interest are produced in Irish. Before Irish became an official language on 1st January 2007, it was afforded the status of treaty language and only the highest-level documents of the EU had been translated into Irish.

The language has also received a degree of formal recognition in Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom, under the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. The British government promised to create legislation encouraging the language as part of the 2006 St Andrews Agreement through an "Irish Language Act - Acht na Gaeilge".

Even though modern parliamentary legislation is supposed to be issued in both Irish and English, in practice it is frequently only available in English.
Publicly displayed Irish is sometimes ungrammatical, which has the potential to irritate speakers and activists. That the Dáil uses Irish in less than 1% of its business may also contribute to the public image of the revival.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
I´m from Germany.

Therefore I speak German but also English, some French, Spanish, a bit Latin, Greek and Japanese.

Pazuzu

Extreme Translator
I am originally from Ireland, currently living in Japan. And although the above wall of text was pretty tl;dr for me, yes, everyone from Ireland knows it as Irish and not Gaelic, because "Gaelic" is ambiguous in that it could be referring to the subgroup of Celts, their language, their language family, or the modern languages of Irish or Scots Gaelic.
It only tends to be called "Gaelic" by foreigners and, as stated, the Irish diaspora. Who are largely ignored by most Irish people anyway. I'm sorry, but the general opinion is that having Irish blood doesn't qualify you for Irishness.

In any case, the languages I have on hand, in order of learning, are:

English - Native, but suffering because of being in Japan.
Irish - Native, and suffering even more.
Spanish - Had Spanish au pairs as a child, so I learned a lot of Spanish in that stage where you pick up stuff unconsciously. It's all gone now through lack of use, though, so all I have is a vague understanding.
French - 4 years of schooling. As above, only understanding remains.
German - 7 years of schooling. But last time I used it properly was 2 years ago, so I can vaguely communicate, with horrific grammar. My lovely Liebkuche can testify to this.
Japanese - Well, OK. The fact that I'm a translator pretty much points at comprehension, but speaking-wise I'm a bit of a disaster because I learned my Japanese speaking down in Shikoku. Yeah, I bet nobody knows where that is. It's an entire island, people. But in any case, I have a dialect that I think is super special awesome, but also gets me quite a few ?_? looks from people. And then when I try to fix it into Tokyo Japanese for convenience, I sound like I have special needs. Yeah.

I can also comprehend Scots Gaelic because of language similarity, and know random greetings and such in Mandarin and Swedish. Because they're useful like that. Who DOESN'T want to know Swedish?

And I can say "Goddamn homos" in Finnish, because my friend is strange like that and wouldn't teach me anything else.

Zelsius

<b>Egosexual</b>
Pazuzu;2077 said:
German - 7 years of schooling. But last time I used it properly was 2 years ago, so I can vaguely communicate, with horrific grammar. My lovely Liebkuche can testify to this.
Testified.
(By the way, his German is the best I've seen from any foreigner, on the internet, so he's still über great.)

cac73hoya;2012 said:
German for the beauty of the language.

conankudo4

Detective Conan God
miforever;907 said:
I'm Australian, so I know English. I also did Mandarin Chinese in High School, but I've forgotten a lot of it. Still remember my favorite phrase though... Wo bu jie dao!! (It means "I dunno" :D)

I'm also learning Japanese at Uni, but I still suck pretty bad despite having been learning 'officially' for a semester. Speaking of which, I have a Japanese test tomorrow and even worse, it's an oral. I really suck at listening/speaking, but I like the writing/reading part. Not that I'm too good at that yet either...

Oh well..

自己紹介させていたできます。 私はmiforeverです。 どうぞよろしく!
Jikoshokai sasete itadekimasu. Watashi wa miforever desu. Douzo yoroshiku!

Let me introduce myself. I'm miforever. How do you do!

I've noticed something wierd about japanese. Why do they never use the hiragana わ and instead use あor は? What's the point of making the hiragana then?

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Timewitch;2051 said:
You can speak Greek? OMG you're the first person I've met in the forums who can speak my mother language!

Only a very, very little bit. Due to my Hobby being Dinosaurs.

evilkitsune71290

I live in the US, & of course I have to know english, & I'm self-teaching myself japanese, & took spanish from 1st grade to 10th grade & only learned 5 words

Pojo

I live in the US, and @ the person above me, the same with me for Spanish, was taught it in school for years but most of it went out the other ear lol.

Seraphimon-T.K.

<b>Scan Editor</b><br>~Holy Warrior~
Well,i can speak Greek (i live in greece,duh) and English. I plan this September to start learning Japanese and Italian...

Rayana_Wolfer

~Born to be Wild~
I'm from Portugal.
Languages... huh... Portuguese, English, German, Spanish and French (Latin doesn't count. o.o").

I'm learning Esperanto and I'm dying to attend Japanese lessons. >.<

Solidus G

I'm Cambodian, but I was born in the US. I speak more English though... I like barley know any Khmer now hehe...

Naruya

I'm from Germany and well... let me think about it for a moment...
I speak German (who would have thought ^_~), English and Japanese (more or less - been studying Japanese studies for 2 years now)... I had French as second foreign language and Russian as third foreign language in school but... my French is a lot better than my Russian, but actuallly I don't know how good my French is after 3 years of not speaking it xD (meaning I don't remember any Russian apart from some real basics)

GSR

That one guy
Born in America with English as my first language. I've been taking Spanish classes the past three years and I plan to study Japanese in college.