Country and Languages

Mitchfoxbane55

Jyou Kido & Kudamon fan
Country and Languages

I am really so curious, members, where do you come from and what languages do you speak or read?

I come from Singapore which is a multi-cultural island country of Asia, I speak English (with a mix of American and Singlish, in case you don't know Singlish is english mixed with Chinese and Malay). I also speak Malay, Chinese, Bahasa Indonesian and Japanese but I tend to screw them up.
Other than English, I can read Chinese, Malay and Japanese in some books but I find it quite hard to understand and I am trying my best.
----------
What about you, people?

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
;-; It makes me feel so dumb... I'm from the United States... I can only read English and I can only carry a conversation in english... I know some phrases and words in japanese and spanish, but not really enough to talk to someone about...

bluesun

Former RawProvider & QCer
I feel so illiterate... I can only read and speak English. ;_; But I am trying to learn Japanese though.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Well, I live in America/US, was born here, been here all my life, so it's obvious what I speak/read, etc. Yep, English. The "other" language is kinda Japanese. I'm learning it currently. In a "classroom" setting, though, I seem to be okay with speaking it since I get corrected if I make a mistake, but outside of that, I'm terrible since I have no one to practice with, and I still have a hard time reading Kanji, since I don't know many Kanji characters. I'm okay with Hiragana and Katakana, although not as good as I possibly could be.

Himi-chan

Little Random Irony
http://dats.us/blink.gif;486 said:
;-; It makes me feel so dumb... I'm from the United States... I can only read English and I can only carry a conversation in english... I know some phrases and words in japanese and spanish, but not really enough to talk to someone about...

What he said - but I'm not even sure I'm learning Japanese words right xD Spanish is hopeless because the teacher is motivating me to quit :mad:

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
United States, so English obviously. ^^;

I'm moreorless fluent in Spanish, and am working on French and Japanese.

(I need more vocab in Spanish... I'm pretty much perfect grammar wise, I just don't know a lot of words that come up randomly >_>)

(If you threw me a French text, I could get the jist of it, but I'd have a challenging time translating it word for word)

(Japanese... I know very little kanji, but if it was a hiragana/katakana based text, I might be able to get the jist of it... still working on verbage though)

Airdra

V-Pet Geek
I live in the US, so...English. I actually used to be pretty fluent in French. Since I haven't taken French since my freshman year of high school, my skills have atrophied greatly. I can use French websites without having to hit an online translator, that's about it.

And I can read a teeny bit of Japanese. I can pick out stuff like "save" and "yes" or "no." XD

Royal_Knight

Gallantmon
The USA. I know American (america's english), english, and a good amount of spanish.

And i can say a few select words in japanese :D Thanks DATS subbing team

Magna

I think all of you know me by now and that I can easily read and speak and write Russian and English, and you could say French, since I can have a basic conversation without screwing up in it, and I can write awesome-like in 3 tenses. I feel so amazing xDD
Oh yeah, I might also start Japanese lessons in September ;D

celestial_sacred

I'm from Malaysia, as you can see. I speak mainly English, read and write too. I learn Malay as it is my country's national language. I speak Chinese (Mostly Cantonese, and Mandarin) but I can't read. I can write!-not knowing most of the meanings!! :-p Japanese..I can read kana but not kanji (if only I paid attention in my Chinese classes last time!). I understand very little details but I might get the idea of a conversation.

wenhao152

Err... Hi?
Like Mitch, I'm from Singapore too...

I read and write English, Chinese and....

Oh no... I only know 2 languages!

T_T

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Canadian. Living in the USA, speaking English, French, really basic Spanish, Japanese. I know a bit of sign language and Egyptian Hieroglyphs 8D

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Himi-chan;507 said:
Spanish is hopeless because the teacher is motivating me to quit :mad:

Wow, I've never heard of something like that. :confused:

Like almost everyone here I live in the U.S of A and speak English. I'm trying to learn Japanese, but I really, really suck at it, and I only know one sentance. Boku wa Hagaren Gao desu! =D

Nemomon

<b>Gaming Freak</b><br>Chip Library Evo
Poland. I know Polish, a little (sic!) English and Japanese (Katakana).

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Hagaren Gao;623 said:
I'm trying to learn Japanese, but I really, really suck at it, and I only know one sentance. Boku wa Hagaren Gao desu! =D

"Sore wa himitsu desu". XD learn it well!

(("It's a secret"))

Tsum

As I was raised in the US, I too can speak and read English.

Unfortunately, due to my absolute laziness to go study, I can't speak, read, or understand much of the 'main' type of Chinese.

On the other hand, I can understand most of what is said, if its the type of Chinese that my family, and the rest of their small village uses.... :)

Katsumi-chan

Datte-freaking-bayo
I'm from America, so I know English, obviously. I'm taking German classes in school, and I've been trying to learn Japanese by myself. It's not going too well, though... I guess I'm in the same boat as almost everyone else here, eh? :eek: