...what happened to Pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Manga collections are expensive....

Psh, manga is expensive? Try getting anime ~_~ Most of my collection is manga for the pure reason that it's cheaper ;S Most anime that I do have I bought when it was on sale (like 50-60% off).

http://iroffer.dzonair.net/skr/mangashelfsmaller.png
http://iroffer.dzonair.net/skr/animeshelvessmaller.png

Missing a few things. I have Tsubasa S1 + S2 + OVA BDs on their way as well as Now and Then, Here and Now Boxset. :D

Manga is a bit full -- waiting to put up another bookcase.

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
The Destroyer is Manifest
Psh, manga is expensive? Try getting anime ~_~ Most of my collection is manga for the pure reason that it's cheaper ;S Most anime that I do have I bought when it was on sale (like 50-60% off).

http://iroffer.dzonair.net/skr/mangashelfsmaller.png
http://iroffer.dzonair.net/skr/animeshelvessmaller.png

Missing a few things. I have Tsubasa S1 + S2 + OVA BDs on their way as well as Now and Then, Here and Now Boxset. :D

Manga is a bit full -- waiting to put up another bookcase.

You must have spent at least a thousand on your collection....

As for it being more expensive, that depends on filler really, that's all that makes anime more expensive. Allow me to show you by using Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it manga.

269.73 for all 27 volumes of manga. That's 9.99 for each, which is what I normally pay for them.

175.96 for all all 64 episodes in 4 parts, 43.99 for each (please note that this is an estimate and I am using the cost of the Blu-rays, so far only two parts have been release, but I did some estimating and it's pretty safe to say there will be 4 parts).

Also, the Hunter X Hunter manga will more than likely cost more than getting all the anime seeing as the manga goes on longer than the anime and so would Soul Eater.

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
I want to see Pint-Sized's Limit Break.

(I may or may not of posted this before....)
707.png

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
OOOOOOOH!!! ITUNES HAS A FREE EP OF FMA BROTHERHOOD!!!

I got it for Christmas, but it's a Blu-ray, so I can't rip it....

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
I have 30 dollars in iTunes, but I don't know what to get....

Their anime selection is bleh....

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
You must have spent at least a thousand on your collection....

As for it being more expensive, that depends on filler really, that's all that makes anime more expensive. Allow me to show you by using Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it manga.

269.73 for all 27 volumes of manga. That's 9.99 for each, which is what I normally pay for them.

175.96 for all all 64 episodes in 4 parts, 43.99 for each (please note that this is an estimate and I am using the cost of the Blu-rays, so far only two parts have been release, but I did some estimating and it's pretty safe to say there will be 4 parts).

Also, the Hunter X Hunter manga will more than likely cost more than getting all the anime seeing as the manga goes on longer than the anime and so would Soul Eater.
You can really use FMA or HxH as examples for the sole reason that they are different. FMA Brotherhood cut out a ton of early stuff, especially the stuff covered in the original series. They cut volumes and volumes of stuff out of it. Where do you think they are pulling the movie from? To be fair you would really need to do FMA S1, Brohood 5 parts (since 64/13 = 4.9 = 5), and movie. Also, BDs are retailed at $55, so dunno why you would go retail on manga and not anime ~_~ This brings Brohood's total alone to $275 :S

The original TV series for Hunter x Hunter only went up through v11, and those volumes are $7.99 a piece = roughly $88 . The TV series boxsets, at retail, are $50 x 4 = $200. So the manga is definitely cheaper.

Let's take a series which is a frame-by-frame replication of the manga. Monster. 74 episodes, 18 volumes. Viz only put out one box, but if they would have continued on, each set would have had roughly 15 episodes making a total of 5 boxes. That box retailed at $60. $60 x 5 = $300. The manga, 18 volumes, retail $10. $10 x 18 = $180. That's quite a difference.

Another example. Death Note. The anime actually had even left some stuff out that was in the manga, but was rather close in it's adaption. Two boxes, $70 each = $140. Death Note manga boxset retail $100, or even the new Black Edition which will have 6/7 volumes * 15 = $90/105, still cheaper.

I original meant to say that anime in general is more expensive, which it is. You get more out of manga for a less. Not sure why I rambled. And yes, my collection is expensive. My Tezuka collection alone would probably give me 1k with the OOP stuff.

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
You can really use FMA or HxH as examples for the sole reason that they are different. FMA Brotherhood cut out a ton of early stuff, especially the stuff covered in the original series. They cut volumes and volumes of stuff out of it. Where do you think they are pulling the movie from? To be fair you would really need to do FMA S1, Brohood 5 parts (since 64/13 = 4.9 = 5), and movie. Also, BDs are retailed at $55, so dunno why you would go retail on manga and not anime ~_~ This brings Brohood's total alone to $275 :S

The original TV series for Hunter x Hunter only went up through v11, and those volumes are $7.99 a piece = roughly $88 . The TV series boxsets, at retail, are $50 x 4 = $200. So the manga is definitely cheaper.

Let's take a series which is a frame-by-frame replication of the manga. Monster. 74 episodes, 18 volumes. Viz only put out one box, but if they would have continued on, each set would have had roughly 15 episodes making a total of 5 boxes. That box retailed at $60. $60 x 5 = $300. The manga, 18 volumes, retail $10. $10 x 18 = $180. That's quite a difference.

Another example. Death Note. The anime actually had even left some stuff out that was in the manga, but was rather close in it's adaption. Two boxes, $70 each = $140. Death Note manga boxset retail $100, or even the new Black Edition which will have 6/7 volumes * 15 = $90/105, still cheaper.

I original meant to say that anime in general is more expensive, which it is. You get more out of manga for a less. Not sure why I rambled. And yes, my collection is expensive. My Tezuka collection alone would probably give me 1k with the OOP stuff.

If I'm going to collect anime, it won't be so cheap. Only R2 discs interests me...

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator

I've only seen what I've bought so far. I only just started watching episode 13 of Brotherhood today. I didn't realize they cut so much....

And where do you shop for FMA Brotherhood? That's more expensive than what I would of paid for them when they first came out....

Wait, Brotherhood got a movie? I am a little bit behind on these things, as I plan to watch them as I buy them.

As for Hunter X Hunter, I was counting the volumes after they cut off.

As for Death Note, you negate the price by buying the movies. I read the manga and to me jumped the shark after
L dies at Kira's hands without L winning
. The movie solves this problem. So the movies are technically cheaper than both the anime and the manga. That has nothing to do with this conversation, but I'll mention it anyways.

And then there are OVAs adaptations.

Yes anime in general is expensive, just not always.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Oh yeah, I remember seeing a couple commercials about the Brotherhood movie.

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
I'm really only interested in a few manga that have anime adaptions really. Mainly DBZ, Gintama, FMA, Fairy Tail, and Hellsing.

The Fairy Tail anime isn't being sold yet state-side, but it will eventually. It was made for Cartoon Network. I never even saw any blood in the episodes.

Bastard!! never was finished, and Kenichi stopped after Ragnarok was defeated instead of continuing with Yomi/Yami.

King of Hell, Bastard!!, Kurohime, Kenichi, Drifters and O-parts Hunter (actually I only have O-Parts in Japanese).

Kenichi is a special case as I have been waiting for so long I may just buy the Japanese versions.

Drifters hasn't come out in the states yet. Seeing how he's the same guy that wrote Hellsing, it's going to be faster to buy the Japanese volumes than wait for a it to get licensed. Kohta Hirano is a lazy bastard who takes forever to write his manga, but he's good enough to get away with it. If he didn't write such good manga I would give up on him. Unfortunately he started a manga that is very heavy on the fantasy, unlike Hellsing, so I had to buy whatever I could get my hands on. I got Drifters volume 1 cheap too.

Thank God for Mangahelpers translations. They have translations available online so I can read Drifters without using Scanlations.

Status
Not open for further replies.