The Disgaea thread

Don't eat me, dood!

prinnybento210x300.jpg

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
...Oh my god... whoever made that bento is MADE OF WIN!

030215l.jpg

BUT I'M NOT ABOUT TO LOSE!

Mizkip

Not a mudkip
Disgaea 3 looks so cool!! I don't have a PS3, so that makes me sad...Disgaea is awesome, kip! It brings new meaning to the phrase "Go to hell"!

Mizkip;127694 said:
Disgaea 3 looks so cool!! I don't have a PS3, so that makes me sad...Disgaea is awesome, kip! It brings new meaning to the phrase "Go to hell"!

Hey man feel free to talk about anything related as well, which is your favorite Disgaea game? :)

Personally for story I think I'm gonna have to say D1, while for gameplay I would have to say D3. Actually if they remade D1 with the improved system of D2/3 then no one would ever see me again.

@role

moe66631calendardisgaea.jpg

Mizkip

Not a mudkip
Anything related? Well, I like the Disgaea 2 Manga, kip. It sucks that they've stopped making it.
Honestly, I've never actually completed game 1 or 2. Too damn lazy, kip. They need more animated scenes like the opening for Disgaea 2! I watched that at least 50 times. In a row.

Pleinar is Laharl's sister, I think! In the anime, Mid-boss freaks out at the little kid claiming to be his sister, and in the DS version, she says "They got me".
And if you look at their colors, they're so similar, kip.

zam

--------------------------------

Also I tried looking at the D2 manga, but since I can't read japanese I didn't get far into it. I can't go by pictures alone personally.

I don't have D1 on DS but I plan on rectifying that at somepoint *cough*R4*cough* but I have it on PSP and it is awesome, Etna mode is hilarious. Although I wish all the DS extras were added to the psp version as well dood ; ;

Um as for pleinair is Laharls sister, not to burst your bubble but... http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/u1h/ This is Takehito Harada's main website (he was the lead artist on all the disgaea games), pleinair is actually his own personal character which NIS have allowed into the games as a sort of tribute to him.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Vincentdante;127706 said:
DE GOZARU! ...dood.

Also, Pleinair is a mascot character, and has NO relation to Laharl, or any other main character for that matter. Where'd you get that sister idea from?

IMG_000815.jpg

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
No, De Gozaru. They shouldn't have changed it in the first place.

IMG_000777.jpg

Why? I prefer zam, as do alot of people.

I have a level 1 certificate in japanese and can say through my own experience de gozaimasu (gozaru) is just a polite version of saying desu (changes the sentences meaning to be, although has no direct translation in english). This word could not possibly be put into an english sentence and keep it's meaning, so the translators obviously opted to make up a word as her catchphrase (since she say's it alot, and obviously explains that a ninja need to always be polite as part of the script). Sure you could have kept the original word over zam and forget the meaning but it would sound alot wierder than zam to anyone else.

Actually it might have been better to just translate her character as a very polite noble without any catchphrase, but that wouldn't have been half as fun. :p

example sentence in yukimaru talk: watashi wa vincentdante de gozaimasu
translation: My name is vincentdante (zam)

492102scaredprinny.jpg

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Stuff that doesn't need changing doesn't need changing. And ever since D1 and Flonne, I've made it a habit to NEVER EVER EVER trust or even think of listening to the english dub for Disgaea. I'm sorry, but... I'll go with the original De Gozaru.

Also, wasn't the whole point that it was weird for her to say that in every sentence? That would have fit perfectly. It was pretty much a stab at the sterotype of ninjas in anime doing the de gozaru bit. Then again, it could, once again, be epic fail translation on the behalf of the localization team to explain 'zam'... It could have just been them discussing her overly-polite nature in the original script... >_>

IMG_000915.jpg

aww I loved flonne in D1 <3 each to their own though.

Also, wasn't the whole point that it was weird for her to say that in every sentence

Actually if your saying de gozaimasu instead of desu you pretty much would use it in every sentence. Also I agree that it didn't really need changing to zam but it's just so random that I can't help but like it.

The best explanation as to why it was wierd for her to say de gozaru is probably because pretty much no one in japan uses it (desu is the common word).

I suppose it would be the same as me turning around and being steryotypical british, it would be very out of place in this day and age. "I say Role how about some tea and crumpets?"

Appropriatley enough the only type of person who would have used de gozaimasu would have been high ranking samurai lords (to my knowledge, I could be mistaken).

laharlprinnydoodbyevilt.jpg

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Flonne's english VA's voice made me feel like my eyes were being sucked out through my ears. It hurt that bad.

The Japanese VA was great, though. Too bad all the battle voices were in english. Stupid screechy voice. She'd have been a great character if not for that...

DisgaeaRedMage8.jpg