The Disgaea thread

Hmm I think the only dubbed voice I hate would be adell from D2.

My faveorite remains Laharl though, thats the best dubbed voice work I think I may have ever heard. Not to mention his character is so much win.

Mao is a close second, he has the perfect evil genius voice I think :). Not to mention he is voiced by Vic Mignogna whom is also junpei from persona 3, which makes it so much better for me personally.

u10204282.jpg

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
True, Laharl did have a good voice. Though, personally, I don't think that any dubs are better than WEWY. Actually, Squeenix has a lot of good VA jobs (with some exceptions, of course). It's actually surprising, when compared to other companies that is.

Also, I love how this has become an image thread...

1248457320797.jpg

forums be fixed.

I'm not a person to dismiss a dub myself. There are a few animes were I actually prefer the dub over original japanese voice work (Disgaea is one if you had not noticed :p)

I sometimes pick up DVDs of shows I really love as well, gonna get Soul Eater when it comes out, although that show I will watch with the japanese audio track (mostly because I can't find a decent fansub, but what I have found makes me like the show).

Now a bit of bad news, I'm not at home this week so I'm gonna have to delay picture uploading i'm afraid.

Tsum

I love Laharl's dub voice. The fact that his actress also was Rita Repulsa in Power Rangers gives a nice nostalgic feeling when I think about it. :p

For now, it seems I'm on a break from the PS3 as my dad is on one of those rants about video games being just for kids. There's no point in arguing, so I suppose I'll wait it out til I can play D3 again.

That said, I actually and foolishly downloaded all the D2P DLC characters before I read they weren't programmed correctly. Needless to say, I'm gonna put D2P on hold until that gets fixed...

ooh really? I had no idea D2P's dlc was broken. So whats wrong with it excactly?

Also with NIS's track record of broken DLC I suppose I shouldn't be surprised lol (D3 complete privalege pack pissed of alot of people)

As fantastic as Laharl is, Mao's dubbed voice is just pure awesome. I think he's slowly becomming my favorite character. He has that evil mad scientist feel the japanese dub was missing imho :confused:

Tsum

There were topics about it all over the D2DHD gamefaqs board, I believe. Something about how some of the characters had messed up attack ranges, and the aptitudes weren't what they should have been. Sapphire also was supposed to be free, and one of her attacks that should have done damage actually healed the targets instead. Not sure if I'm complaining about that last thing though. ;)

Lol, Too bad PSP games can't get patched either (unless the pspgo can I dunno I have an original). I was gonna pass on D2P anyway since I have it on PS2 and it was the weakest game in the series for me (adell sucked!).

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Heh, I'm no purist. In fact, if I like the english dub, I'll gladly watch it over the original japanese. I point to Saber Marionette J, for instance. I love the job they did in the english version. An excellent example of how a dub should be done. Death Note wasn't too bad, either. Now, dub jobs like Magic Knight Rayearth? I'm sorry... no... just no... Lady who played the princess, learn what a scream of despair sounds like, okay? The chick in the original japanese got it right. Your weak 'no...' made me laugh, which is NOT the emotion you should be conveying. At least TRY, okay?

Also, I agree. In D2, Adell sucked. However, I WILL be getting the game, if nothing else than for the PETA SPELLS! Supposedly, they're apologizing to D3's lack of a Tera spellset by adding an extra level of spells. And skills, for that matter. Need I say: "HELL YES!"?

Besides, who the hell uses main characters, anyways? Generics are where it's at.

Besides, who the hell uses main characters, anyways? Generics are where it's at.

*raises hand* well more like, I only use the ones I like (Mao, raspberyl, Laharl) and the rest of my team are generics :)

I agree generics are the way to go, they make a team more personal.

Funny story my team through out the D1 story was Laharl and Flonne pretty much soloing/healing. Imagine how gutted I was when *SPOILER*
*SPOILER*
*SPOILER*
*SPOILER*
*SPOILER*
*SPOILER*
(Flonne got turned into a flower just before the final boss...)

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Just another reason not to bother with Flonne in the first game.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
It's hard to find much use for healers other than purging ailments, actually... their uber heal isn't even enough...

I mean, if you get hit, you're pretty much screwed anyways...

I had a thought, if NIS gave healers a revive spell or previve then they would be increadibly useful at end game. Take note NIS.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Revive would be waaaaay too broken for a disgaea game. Unless it didn't increase the deployable units number, keep it the hell out.

Or make revive a one time cast which uses all the healers mp or something. As they stand they might as well just take them out of the game. Heavy knight as well.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
I wouldn't say that. Healing units are pretty useful early on. Plus, Heavy Knights would be great if they fix the damage formula so that DEF and RES actually matter. Right now, anything that uses fists or guns has the clear advantage...

Figured it out, give healers a revive which sacrifices their own life in place of another unit of the same level or lower. So that makes you lose a unit cap, gives you what you want and stops you from simply spamming the spell.

And yeah DEF and RES really need to play a bigger part. I had a heavy knights in the campaign and he still kind off sucked even then.

Well with DATS closing it's doors soon this might very well be the end of the Disgaea thread.

I want to say it was a fun ride. Anyone who posted may feel free to add me to PSN or 360 if your ever up for chatting (see sig for my id's, I mostly play my xbox currently). Send me a message with who you are, I tend to ignore invites I don't know.