"Data Squad" - German Dub!

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
celestial_sacred;16788 said:
Hey! I too like Yoshino's voice!!! I wanna hear Yui sing as Yoshino!!! >_<

Unfortunately that will never happen. Unless Yui puts a Character Song for Yoshino on her Album.:(
Yui´s role as Yoshino is also a great example of Yui maturing from a Beginner in Voice Actiong to a professional.

I just watched that 3 minute video on YouTube. Aww... They used the US dub names..
It´s always like this. I think either due to legal reasons or marketing.

I have to say that Sampson's dub voice is a bit.. weird.. Kudamon lacks the "evil grin". >_> I think Marcus will have problems expressing his anger!

That´s what I meant by not convincing. They lack something.

This is my first watching the German dub and did I hear they pronounce Digimon with the "gi" rhyming with bee? Di"ghee"mon. XD Sorry.

Doesn´t sound like the US Version, which sounds like it is pronounced Di-Ji-Mon, right ?

Ingrimm

This is my first watching the German dub and did I hear they pronounce Digimon with the "gi" rhyming with bee? Di"ghee"mon. XD Sorry.

The word "digital" exists in the German language too (because the word is actually Latin... ^^). But we pronounce the "g" in "digital" like "ghee", so we also pronounce it that way in "Digimon". It's just the way this word sounds natural to us. The English pronunciation sounds to us Germans like "Ditschi-mon"... :D

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Ingrimm;16790 said:
The word "digital" exists in the German language too (because the word is actually Latin... ^^). But we pronounce the "g" in "digital" like "ghee", so we also pronounce it that way in "Digimon". It's just the way this word sounds natural to us. The English pronunciation sounds to us Germans like "Ditschi-mon"... :D

My mind instantly flashed to the old Digimon bloopers FOX kids had back during season 1.

Izzy keeps screwing up his lines and pronouncing it "diggy-mon"
Mimi: "I can get 'Diggy' with it."

A part of me just died inside for remembering that. lol. XD

I never thought of that before though.. how different cultures would pronounce stuff. Like.. how we say it "dijimon" instead of ..well... "diggy-mon" o_o It's just not right by how it's spelled! D:

English is weird >_>

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
It´s not that different form the Japanese version, isn´t it ? The G in the Original is also harder than the one in the US.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Tcatomon;16791 said:
My mind instantly flashed to the old Digimon bloopers FOX kids had back during season 1.

Izzy keeps screwing up his lines and pronouncing it "diggy-mon"
Mimi: "I can get 'Diggy' with it."

A part of me just died inside for remembering that. lol. XD

I never thought of that before though.. how different cultures would pronounce stuff. Like.. how we say it "dijimon" instead of ..well... "diggy-mon" o_o It's just not right by how it's spelled! D:

English is weird >_>

Actually, it was Joe saying "It's time to diggy-volve"

(Izzy mispronounced Kabuterimon and requested to rename him Bob)

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Johnzaloog;16799 said:

D'oh! That's right. Man... that feels like centuries ago o___o;;

haha, I was in my last year of high school when that came on. I hated Digimon with a passion until I actually sat down to watch it. XD;; I feel shamed for it too.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Tcatomon;16821 said:
I hated Digimon with a passion until I actually sat down to watch it. XD;; I feel shamed for it too.

So you should.

It's coming out today right? What time (german time is fine, nice and easy to work out from England)?

Ingrimm

Johnzaloog;16858 said:
So you should.

It's coming out today right? What time (german time is fine, nice and easy to work out from England)?

14:40 in Germany (that must be 13:40 in England).

celestial_sacred

Tcatomon;16791 said:

English is weird >_>

I too never thought of it! It's funny to hear people saying diggy-mon. XD

MugenSeiRyuu;16796 said:
It´s not that different form the Japanese version, isn´t it ? The G in the Original is also harder than the one in the US.

Ah? How does a "hard G" sound like? Isn't it way different from the Japanese pronunciation? "Deji" and "diggy"..

Johnzaloog;16799 said:

I just watched that blooper on Veoh~ I'm not with the US dub but that blooper really tickles me..! (Oh, so.. He was actually trying to pronounce Kabuterimon. I didn't get that one. >_>)

Ingrimm

Digimon Data Squad - German Dub Review

AWESOME! ^^

The voices are very good (in my opinion). Agumon and Lalamon sound very much like their Japanese voice actors. Marcus and Yoshi sound a bit different, but very likeable. A lot of the time you had the feeling that the actors were just reading the script, but especially at the end their performance was great. Sampson's voice actor sounded very familiar, I think I already knew him from other dubs. Kudamon sounded a little too impassive and female, very much like in the Japanese version... oO

Let's come to the changes. We have "Yoshi" and "Sampson", but I think that's because of the license... Well, we'll have to live with that. Much better change: We have the original intro, but with German lyrics! It just felt right. Nevertheless the lyrics sounded a bit forced and meaningless. But the original isn't that much better when it comes to this. ;) The background music was taken directly from the original. They also played "Believer", but the quality of this song didn't impress me... -.- It was the right song, but the performance seemed a bit cheap and it distracted a little bit from the actual battle scene. We also have an "original outro" but it consists only of some scenes from the episodes and the chorus of the intro with the credits running down. Actually not worth noting... *g*

The best thing about the episode were the things that haven't been changed. The "DigiSoul" is called... "DigiSoul"! I was actually surprised and very, very pleased about this. Also some other changes made in the American dub weren't repeated in the German version. Kamemon doesn't speak a single word, the "Closed" sign on the door of the tower wasn't translated and Agumon kicks Marcus directly into the groin! ^^

The translation is pretty faithful to the original. It's not too direct, but also never too far away from the original script. Furthermore they translated "aniki" with "Großer Bruder" (big brother). I was surprised by this, because "Großer Bruder" doesn't sound as good as "aniki" or "boss", but I think it's OK. Marcus also calls Agumon "Kleiner Bruder" ("little brother").
Of course the show is called "Data Squad", nevertheless they kept "DATS" as the name of the organisation Yoshi works for. They even translated the acronym "Digitale Abwehr- und Taktik-Sondereinheit" which is very close to the original meaning (they just replaced Accident ("Unfall") with Defense ("Abwehr") because of the A.
It's worth noting that even Kokatorimon kept its name while it was already known as Cockatrimon in the German dub of "Adventure".

Wow, this became a very long post!^^
All in all I'm very happy with our dub. It's very faithful to the original and the changes are kept to a minimum. So, gimme more, please! :]

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Where can it be viewed or downloaded, me want.

(I undertand it hasn't been long, anywhere that's said that they'd upload it?)

Ingrimm

Vande;16879 said:
damnit they kept it in the german dub but not english dub ~_~

Do you mean DATS? Yeah, thinking of the fact that it was an English acronym in the first place... :rolleyes:

The best thing about the German version: they just sat back and made a high quality dub without the big fuss Jeff Nimoy made about it. But that's just my opinion.

Ingrimm

Tcatomon;16884 said:
So it doesn't mean anything? Sort of a made up digimon-language word? oo; They couldn't have used "[Digimon] evolve to.. [digimon]" :/ I'm surprised they didn't keep that.

The problem: "Palmon evolves to Togemon" would be translated as "Palmon entwickelt sich zu Togemon weiter" or at least "Palmon entwickelt sich zu Togemon". Otherwise it wouldn't sound natural. So "digitieren" comes in quite handy. And it's not totally made up. It's most likely a mix between "digital" and "konvertieren" (convert) or something like that. ^^