Who killed Pages this time? ... [you] did!

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
The fever may also be cyclic, peaking at a certain time in the day. So there may be times during the day when the temperature is normal. (This is typical of a viral infection in general. It's not a constant fever.)

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Some of patients may probably dead due to he/she got other sickness as well. Due to he/she also was infected by COVID-19, it may cause his/her death got quicker.
This is very hard to prove one way or the other. Because of the multi-organ / systemic damage COVID-19 causes, it's difficult to discern whether the cause of death was COVID-19-related or caused by existing comorbidities. Hence, most places list them as a COVID-19-related death as long as they were infected at the time of death. Some places, usually for political reasons to reduce the numbers, will list cause of death as anything other than COVID-19, even though there isn't a clear-cut way to prove that COVID-19 was not involved in the patient's death.

It should be noted that even in asymptomatic patients, there has been documentation of permanent organ damage! (The virus is still damaging you even though you do not feel sick.)

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Anyway, I do have to say that the Chinese government has some gall to blame imported salmon and other seafood for some of the outbreaks. Most other countries have determined that the virus is not likely carried by food like that. Also requiring all imports into China to have negative testing is simply taking away resources needed to test actual humans. Some countries do not have the capacity to test humans; having to dedicate already sparse resources to test objects that have a very low risk of carrying the virus is a waste of time. It's usually the humans. It's usually the humans carrying the virus, not the fish.

Zeromaru

Class S Irregular Hunter
Anyway, I do have to say that the Chinese government has some gall to blame imported salmon and other seafood for some of the outbreaks. Most other countries have determined that the virus is not likely carried by food like that. Also requiring all imports into China to have negative testing is simply taking away resources needed to test actual humans. Some countries do not have the capacity to test humans; having to dedicate already sparse resources to test objects that have a very low risk of carrying the virus is a waste of time. It's usually the humans. It's usually the humans carrying the virus, not the fish.
There is a saying in China “病从口入”, that means sickness or I mean virus may probably from the food you eat. According to the data in the last 30 years, there are many cases show this saying is true. For example, in January 1988, over 300,000 were infected by HAV in Shanghai. In 1997, H5N1 in Hongkong. In March 2003, SARS in Guangdong. In 2013, H7N9 in Shanghai and then the COVID-19 virus. Maybe the orginal virus is not from the food we eat, but someone do not pay attention to hygiene may probably lead to be infected or sick.
Just talking about COVID-19. First in Wuhan, no one notice it as a new kind of virus and consider it as a normal one. They ignore the danger is coming and caused thousands of people infected. But after 2 months, most of patients were cured, it's clear that we maybe safe again. Then, there are some of people who do not pay attention to hygiene and got infected. 2 months ago in Beijing, last month in Liaoning and now in Xinjiang. Health problem may probably cause the disease again. It's a pity that some of them do not notice on it and then got sick, and contagious infection may cause more people infected.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Okay. So it kind of makes sense because viruses often enter the body via mucosal membranes 粘膜, which is found in the respiratory tract and the gastrointenstinal tract, so your nose and your mouth, and the subsequent connecting tubes. (These are thin epithelium, so easier to penetrate than the layers of the outer skin.) While the idiom implies that viruses enter with your food, it really just enters through your mouth, regardless of if it's carried by food or otherwise. The saying has some truth to it, but it is not an excuse to use imported fish as the reason for an outbreak. That is, to simply put, a cover-up. The current data is suggesting that surface spread is not the primary route of COVID-19 transmission.

HAV is spread via what is called the fecal-oral route. Somebody infected went to the bathroom and didn't wash their hands afterwards. And touched things smearing invisible viral particles onto food and containers. Somebody ate that food and got infected. Thus it is common to see Hepatitis A outbreaks in connection with restaurants with the source being a restaurant worker. So, yes, this is a hygiene issue.

As for H5N1 and H7N9, these are influenza viruses which primarily transmit via droplets. SARS does the same. Droplets, so sneezes, coughs, and spit. In short, it comes from one person's mouth/nose to another's. How surfaces (or fomites) help transmit is the droplets can sit on these surfaces until somebody comes around and touches the surfaces and then rub their eyes or nose, or wipe their face. This then transfers the viral particles to the vulnerable mucosal membranes. This is why there is widespread use of masks; what it does is NOT protect yourself. Even when wearing a mask, you can use your hands to adjust the mask or still rub your eyes. You can still get infected wearing a mask. But wearing a mask will block your respiratory droplets from getting into the air. Influenza and SARS both are primarily droplet-based spread. It is to heavy to go airborne and stay afloat in the air. There is data suggesting that COVID-19 is light enough to be aerosolized, or carried in the air by smaller water droplets. (Even though COVID-19 is a cousin of SARS.) Either way, spread of these is more about being in close quarters with sick people. Being crowded in a restaurant. Having a party in someone's house. A large exhibition in an enclosed convention center. COVID-19 is extra annoying because a large percent of infected do not exhibit ANY symptoms, and thus can be spreading the virus without even being aware that they are sick.

None of these are foodborne diseases. Foodborne diseases are typically bacteria, fungi, and parasites. Yes, to get infected the viruses have to enter either your nose or mouth, but the viral particles are generally not carried by food.

Zeromaru

Class S Irregular Hunter
2020 is finally end, but I wonder how soon could the nightmare end? It's winter again, we need to keep healthy.

Kasaix

The Mediator
I can't believe I forgot about DATS for so long. This place ruled way back when. I only remembered because Google told me my password was compromised, so I rushed back to change it.

Kasaix

The Mediator
Chrome said my password was exposed or something. A few of them actually, and according to Chrome, it was due to data breaches on different sites, so I went around changing passwords and came upon here. At first I had no idea what the site was, then I got hit with a huge wave of nostalgia. Everything's fine as far as I can see, so no worries.

Last edited:

Kasaix

The Mediator
That's a shame. Like I said, I remember having a blast here. Good times were had, and treasured memories were made. Any chance this place can be revived? It was based around subbing anime, and that's still a good market. Especially since places like Funi and CR are butchering the official subs and dubs.