...what happened to Pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matze149

Assistant Pig-Keeper
Staff member
give me a bit time to think of a text
Usually I would just go with "Use the one which doesn´t sound strange" - but that´s a bit hard to tell to somebody who doesn´t know the language ^^""""

Matze149

Assistant Pig-Keeper
Staff member
give me a bit time to think of a text
and by the way, "die" is another example for a false friend word... (not hard to tell why, right....? xD")

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
The Destroyer is Manifest
Usually I would just go with "Use the one which doesn´t sound strange" - but that´s a bit hard to tell to somebody who doesn´t know the language ^^""""

I kinda get what you mean, it's kinda like figuring out whether to use "a" or "an" in sentences.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
blade isn´t that wrong, I´ve felt the same when getting school english. Both languages have some similiar sounding words with the same meaning. The problem is that there are many "bad friend words" too... For example "still": Here that word means "silence"
Well...
"still" in English can be used in two ways.

Like, the show is still airing, as in it has not yet ended.

Or... the lion laid completely still, as in not moving.

@_@

But silence...? I can see some connections but yeah... Different, indeed.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
YEAH THAT WOULD BE HARD FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW. lawls.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
I'm sorry, the 1,006 that are taught to elementary schoolers.
Shit. Elementary schoolers know more kanji than I do--wait, duh. o_o I never got past the third grade Chinese textbook. Of course they know more kanji than I do.

(And I'm the person supposedly TLing MapleStory?)

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
But for a and an, the rules are pretty simple..

Except I never figured it if it's an hour or a hour. <_>

My Comp teacher just told us to use what sounded right to us, she didn't say anything about rules....

It's an, "it's in an hour" "it's an hour away". I think....

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
My Comp teacher just told us to use what sounded right to us, she didn't say anything about rules....

It's an, "it's in an hour" "it's an hour away". I think....
...wut.

The rules are... (minus the 9001 exceptions that exist in the English language)
if the word starts with a consonant, use a.
if the world starts with a vowel, use an.

However hour is one of those oddballs where though it starts with a consonant, its pronunciation starts with a vowel. But I never remember what it actually is used with.

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
Meh, blade's never been marked down because he's misused it, so he guesses his way works just as well.

Kaitou_Yahiko

*Poke*
Staff member
That Girl With the Hair
You know, I just thought of something. Usually I wish I'd never heard some anime dubbed. But there's one anime I'm really glad I heard dubbed. Even if it was horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.