The Rule Game

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
The Rule Game

This one is from the Art of Problem Solving forums.

Basically, players will post rules that the rules after it must follow. This keeps going until one rule is broken. Then, we start over again.

1. No rule may have more than four letters in a word, save the word "letters".

(So the next rule can't have any word more than four letters long.)

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
2. No rule can have the word "may" in it.

(I really honestly don't get this game, but oh well. Wait, does a rule stand forever or only applies to the one following it?)

Matze149

Assistant Pig-Keeper
Staff member
give me a bit time to think of a text
So I have to post a new rule following every old rule...?
Okay:

3. post with bold text only

Matze149

Assistant Pig-Keeper
Staff member
Okay, new start after a rule is broken, right? Sorry Megumi, you broke the 4 letters rule.

1. Don´t show your signature!

Edit: @Voltanis: This just means yours become 2 (I think... O.O)

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
6. USE NO MORE THAN NINE WORDS IN EACH RULE

Edit: Didn't catch that one...

2. No word can be less than 2 letters.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Start over. No misspelled words.

1. By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, must be written bold, italic, and pink.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
3. By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, must start with "By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth..." su~

Matze149

Assistant Pig-Keeper
Staff member
This game is fun ^^

4. By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, must have a comment before them (like my "This game is fun ^^") su~

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
This game is getting insane.

5. By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, that is of the current set must be quoted at the start of a new page. su~

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
@megumi: Actually, having misspelled words is a valid rule. Anything that doesn't make the rules virtually unreadable or disallows any other rules from being created is fair game.

Oh, as a matter of courtesy, please include all the rules before yours. It's just page breaks and all that stuff. Like this:

1. By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, must be written bold, italic, and pink.
2. Every rule must end with "su~" su~
3. By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, must start with "By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth..." su~
4. (This game is fun ^^) By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, must have a comment before them (like my "This game is fun ^^") su~
5. (This game is getting insane.) By the grace of God, I hereby decree, that all rules, henceforth, that is of the current set must be quoted at the start of a new page. su~
6. (I'll win this round, just you wait!) By the grace of God, I hereby decree that all rules, henceforth, must contain a comment that is at least seven words long, su~.

(How to do that is, quote the previous person, remove the quote tags, and add your rule on afterwards.)

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Zodiac, you broke rule three. You are missing a comma after "decree".

Also, I was saying that Warrock did not have a misspelled word, thus not complying the previous rule Matze posted.

1. All rules must be in bold and lime green.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
megumi;96604 said:
Zodiac, you broke rule three. You are missing a comma after "decree".

Damn, I thought that would go unnoticed.

Also, I was saying that Warrock did not have a misspelled word, thus not complying the previous rule Matze posted.

Not to mention his rule was rule 1.

2. All rules prefixed by a prime number must be written in italics.

If a rule violates itself, then we must also start over.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Warrock originally posted that as #3 then later edited it to a #1. Plus, you shouldn't be able to start a new set when nobody has broken a rule of the previous ongoing set.

3. We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth, must be preceded by "We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth..."

Are we allowed to abolish rules with a rule?

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
megumi;96606 said:
Are we allowed to abolish rules with a rule?

No. That would defeat the purpose of the game.

3. We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth, must be preceded by "We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth..."
4. We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth, may not be written in italics if their rule number is not prime.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Okay then...

4. We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth, may not be written in italics if their rule number is not prime.
5. We, the people who play this game, hereby declares that all rules, henceforth, that are prefixed by a non-prime number, but divisible by three, are to be overlined.