Star Force Dub

XxAaronxX

Duce:Maybe Because misora Can't Sing in the English :confused:.
Scar:16?Omg. they're catching up to Dats Subs! Nooooooo....

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
We'll probably reach 26 soon, but then 30 is already TLed. The dub is quite good, but then I've only watched the first episode of the show.

Akai Shuichi

The Pierrot
the dub is nowhere near catching up to the sub, as the dub has skipped various segments in the 2hr special on TV, how else would they be able to get clear up to the Gemini Spark Arc in just 2 hours?

Royal_Knight

Gallantmon
Duce;8476 said:
Did anyone else watch this on Toonami on tv today?

I did, it was like 2 hours long. and I think alot of things was skiped, like Misora eps, and it ended right in the middle of a battle with gemini spark.

was it wat they have shown on toonami jetstream? b/c the episodes on jetstream haven't skipped anything?

Scorpio Sting

Scorpio's Dempa Henkan
I guess MMSF was only temparay on toonami, they didn't show it this week. Oh well, at least its on jetstream, but i would like the sub would hurry, so i don't become dependent on the dub.

Royal_Knight

Gallantmon
Scorpio Sting;9025 said:
I guess MMSF was only temparay on toonami, they didn't show it this week. Oh well, at least its on jetstream, but i would like the sub would hurry, so i don't become dependent on the dub.

they had some stupid special this weekend. and the naruto movie is on next weekend. so we'll really see where it's place is the next weekend. like sept 15th.

& welcome to DATS

Royal_Knight

Gallantmon
kubikid13;9033 said:
last time i checked they finished 20-26 so why didnt they air them yet
if they want it to play until spring or whenever, they have to strech it out quite a bit. That's why there are time gaps between episodes in any show really.

Lordlokey

The Black Hand
*cough* I might be fired for this *cough* but expect a release soon.... very soon.... (Note this message has a 50% chance of being a joke.)

GSR

That one guy
If you're talking about our 20-26 RnR subs, you really have no idea about the difference between a QC encode and a final release, do you?

Also, wrong topic for sub discussion. This is for the dub. :p

/me minimod

Lordlokey

The Black Hand
Meh :p I DID say 50% chance as a joke. And as for the dub, personally I point people to the subs when I can as "advertising" =X. Met a few people who watched it then pointed them to Dats :D.

Eh I haven't watched the dub myself though, Personally I'd prefer to stick to the subs since I love orginality.

kubikid13

hey number 20-21 came out when will more do you think and warrock cannot be subarus dad he turned his dad into em waves and we found his transer in the game also warrock is an am alian so he cant possibly be his dad

Momo

I like the dub voices, but then again I saw them first, so really both are fine to me! XD I have no problems with any of the voices, its common for little kids in dubbed anime to sound older than their sub counterparts, so it's really no surprize, lol.

Dengar

The fact that it's common doesn't mean it still doesn't sound off. At least the Japanese voice actors try to make them sound natural. :p

Momo

Dengar;9880 said:
The fact that it's common doesn't mean it still doesn't sound off. At least the Japanese voice actors try to make them sound natural. :p

yea but Geo's voice isn't even that bad XD I heard his voice in english first (and found it fitting), so I personally thought he sounded like a little girl in japanese, and I'm normally used to high-pitched japanese voice acting!

Caphi

My thoughts:

First off, I should explain that started around episode 5, I started synchronizing my subs to the dubs and fixing the volume so that the dub was only slightly on top of the sub. This let me keep track of the Japanese, the English, and the DATS interpretation all at once (having ADD or an Osaka mind helps; I like to think I have the latter).

The rescripting is nice. Lines tend to occur in nice sync and follow the original with a decent degree of fidelity - that is to say, there is no outrageous insertion, removal, or moving of lines, and often the intent is kept (barring the obligatory awkwardness of translating phrases like ittekimasu/itarasshai).

A few of the actors I take issue with. Goyoda, played by J B Blanc, is a masterpiece, incidentally. Tone is spot on, he covers the entire range of Goyoda's emotions (which stretches all the way between disgruntledness and rage), and either he is a great ad-libber or whoever rewrites for Goyoda is good at what he does. He's the only character other than Warrock who I heard and thought "whoa, that's Goyoda."

I can't remember who voices Warrock, so I'll call him Gohan. Gohan has his strengths and weaknesses. When Warrock is being serious, he's the perfect VA; he also does an awesome job whenever Warrock gets excited or when he has one of his tantrums. On the other hand, Gohan fails when Warrock has to sound concerned or panicked. I shook my head a little when he asked (none too worriedly, it seemed) after Subaru's damage in the Taurus Fire episode, where the original definitely had an air of mild panic and actual concern behind it. And again when Gohan declared, a bit too matter-of-factly, that Taurus Fire had taken a hostage.

I have no real problems with Misora, but I do wish they would have gotten someone who can do their own singing rather than splicing in generic pop that sounds nothing at all like Wendee Lee.

Tsukasa's VA is spot on, and his acting's decent too. Of course, I suppose they had to try harder for him, considering he's the Dragon of the series for a while. Ikuta sounds like Bill Clinton, though. No, seriously.

I have no real complaints or praises to heap on Subaru, but I think it's interesting to note that his VA was Taichi from Digimon 1 and also whatsisname from Zatch Bell. That guy sure likes his male leads.

The rest of the gallery ranges from mediocre to okay and back. I don't care enough to complain about each of them.

On a wholly unrelated note, I still like how Akane's seiyuu is Kimura Akiko, the same woman who played Rockman in EXE.

</$.02>