Star Force Dub

Jinto

Scar;6168 said:
Get over the names >>; they make since... Every single name in RnR sub is almost a pun or some meaning to it. If you knew japanese you would notice it >>; So to keep it basically the same, they made it into english >>; Of course they wouldn't keep the japanese names... this is a "kiddy" show you know >>;

Maybe i didnt read the whole topic :p but American Comapnys and Japanese Puns ALWAYS means crappy names or jokes that are REALLY bad

i dont see a need to change them its not like any of them had a LONG hard to say name.......

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
I'd like to see a standard 10 year old pronounce "Hoshikawa Subaru" correctly.

Dengar

You don't put Japanese names in an English translation for a series aimed at a younger audience, ESPECIALLY if the names are supposed to be puns or have meanings. No doubt to a Japanese person, the names sound equally silly.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
dubs are there to aim it at younger viewers and to censor, that is why we have subs n raws available online for those who are old enough to appreciate originality.

Caphi

Jinto, I love seeing terrible puns in translations. Seeing puns and plays off names in a translation of a game means that the translators cared and wanted to produce a quality, entertaining product, rather than beating the script over the head with a Japanese/English dictionary and calling it a day. Consider the difference between EXE4 or 5 and EXE2 ("Speaking of chow, where's Chaud?").

It's things like that that can, for some games, make the difference between a great localization and a boring translation.

justdave

To me they seem to be doing a really good job with translation and keeping the storyline intact and so forth. But the last couple episodes of the dub seem to have really sloppy editing. They're taking two Japanese episodes and combining them to make one English episode, but not doing a good job of combining them. In the most recent one, for example, they left the "here's a review of what happened previously and a small preview of today's episode" segment in the middle between the two episodes that were stuck together. It seemed really redundant and out of place. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had put the commercial break right in the middle between the two episodes, so you come back from the commercial and get a quick review, but they didn't. You come back from the commercial and get another minute of the previous episode, then you get the review and preview segment, then the story continues.

123mop

Wow, they're terrible...

I just watched number 7 on toonami jetstream, just to see whether i liked the sub or dub better.
About 18 seconds from the end of the first scene, watch the signs outside the science class. They didn't even bother to translate them.

GSR

That one guy
Caphi;10530 said:
Jinto, I love seeing terrible puns in translations. Seeing puns and plays off names in a translation of a game means that the translators cared and wanted to produce a quality, entertaining product, rather than beating the script over the head with a Japanese/English dictionary and calling it a day. Consider the difference between EXE4 or 5 and EXE2 ("Speaking of chow, where's Chaud?").

It's things like that that can, for some games, make the difference between a great localization and a boring translation.

I know whatcha mean. Phoenix Wright wouldn't be as nearly as good a translation if they didn't translate all the puns with it. Even the lame ones (Will Powers anyone?) gave it character.

Though I always pronounced Chaud 'Ch-aw-d', so that one kind of went over my head in EXE2. :p

Dengar

I always thought Chaud was pronounced "Show".

And I totally agree about the localization of Ace Attorney. It's ace. No pun intended.