RAM/Memory/Whatever? XD

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
You're board doesn't support dual channel memory anyway and most install identical pair for that. Anything will fit.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
So crucial's lying to me about the dual channel memory... MONEY-GRUBBING..

I shall leave it at 1 1gb stick then and grab for the other at a later time.

Thanks for helping!

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
More help please? XD I have a friend on the MMO I play. He failed to give me the specs of his computer/model/make of it..

Sigh.

Anyways, he said he needs the same ram, PC3200, as I do. He likely also has the same... 256MB of RAM... except he only has two slots.

"Eh...people always say specs, but thats not exactly helpful...

Mainly, I know my computer does not support Dual Channel, so I don't think I can buy a Dual Channel Supporting Kit.

I can probably just stick one 1GB into the slot, and switch my current 256 into the second...;o

1256MB ;o. Lol."

He can do that right? :3 He wasn't sure what to do, and I promised to ask. So, I'm asking. XD

ChikoritaKaizer

Quality Check<br><span style="color: #1894fe;"><b>
You can buy dual channel kits, they just won't give you the extra speed boost of Dual Channel, although they will still work. 2GB is definitely the sweet spot IMO, if you can get it up to 2GB then your good, although 1GB will still be a huge step up from 256MB.

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
ChikoritaKaizer;7022 said:
You don't have to have identical pairs, crucial just wants you to pony up more money. Crucial is known for having fairly expensive RAM. I've never had a problem with the budget brands like OCZ, Kingston or Patriot.

Wow I can't believe that you would call OCZ a budget brand. That is kinda a insult to the company, there pretty much for the o.c. people along with other companies. Like my ram is o.c. OCZ Performance series (I know that it isn't the best) But I got some reasonable timings that are fairly tight and stable, plus OCZ will allow you to over volt the ram to a stated voltage and still be under warranty. I like my ram, and when ever I make computers for other people I usually use OCZ because I can usually find it on sale. Yet if you want really good ram all that matters it the chips that the company uses, Some chips are better than others, and support better timings. Oh and about dual channel well that is good to have, but the ram has to be the same model and type. You don't necessary have to buy one of those kits, though there pretty cheap right now and for people who just want the memory and not worry if it is certified or not. This is a good because it is hard to mess up, some of the company will actually test to see if the ram will work under dual channel modes. Also you gotta remember that not all motherboards will support dual channel, mainly the old mobo's won't. Mine is a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250G, this is for the old A64 754. All the A64 754 will not do the dual channel but the 939 will. So you have to know what type of mobo you have. I could help any here with computer parts like what you could upgrade and help with installation, but I will need to know information about your current setup.

Opps I forgot to mention something, This is for all the Vista users out there, you can also use your USB drive to boost the memory of you computer using the ready boost. Though you should know that this is nothing like adding real ram to the mobo, the data transfer speed of the USB port is way slower that the actual slot on the mobo even if you have USB 2.0.

Okay one last thing, There is also another new thing out there in the new computers and it is called SLI memory. This basically like memory that will o.c. by it's self, kinda expensive and I really don't think that it is really that worth it in the end. I could go to detail about SLI memory but I won't.

ChikoritaKaizer

Quality Check<br><span style="color: #1894fe;"><b>
G4bumon;7216 said:
Wow I can't believe that you would call OCZ a budget brand. That is kinda a insult to the company, there pretty much for the o.c. people along with other companies. Like my ram is o.c. OCZ Performance series (I know that it isn't the best) But I got some reasonable timings that are fairly tight and stable, plus OCZ will allow you to over volt the ram to a stated voltage and still be under warranty. I like my ram, and when ever I make computers for other people I usually use OCZ because I can usually find it on sale. Yet if you want really good ram all that matters it the chips that the company uses, Some chips are better than others, and support better timings. Oh and about dual channel well that is good to have, but the ram has to be the same model and type. You don't necessary have to buy one of those kits, though there pretty cheap right now and for people who just want the memory and not worry if it is certified or not. This is a good because it is hard to mess up, some of the company will actually test to see if the ram will work under dual channel modes. Also you gotta remember that not all motherboards will support dual channel, mainly the old mobo's won't. Mine is a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250G, this is for the old A64 754. All the A64 754 will not do the dual channel but the 939 will. So you have to know what type of mobo you have. I could help any here with computer parts like what you could upgrade and help with installation, but I will need to know information about your current setup.

Opps I forgot to mention something, This is for all the Vista users out there, you can also use your USB drive to boost the memory of you computer using the ready boost. Though you should know that this is nothing like adding real ram to the mobo, the data transfer speed of the USB port is way slower that the actual slot on the mobo even if you have USB 2.0.

Okay one last thing, There is also another new thing out there in the new computers and it is called SLI memory. This basically like memory that will o.c. by it's self, kinda expensive and I really don't think that it is really that worth it in the end. I could go to detail about SLI memory but I won't.

At Frys when I was buying RAM for my old iBook a year and a half or so back OCZ was the cheapest by about $10, thus butting them as a budget brand.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Hi sorry to revive my own topic but I haven't bought my own RAM yet because I've been wondering about other stuff. Do you think a DDR ____# actually matter? Or do I just make sure it's DDR 184-Pin PC3200?

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
It doesn't matter that much especially if you are not looking to over clock and wanna squeeze every bit of speed out of your machine. Though you should stick the the specs of the ram that is currently in your laptop. This way you have a greater chance of it being compatible with the other stick or sticks.