RAM/Memory/Whatever? XD

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
RAM/Memory/Whatever? XD

So, I'm hoping i can one day get some money saved so I can go and get more.

I'm currently running with like 128MB ram which is really not helping my gaming needs and after I'm on too long, my compy chan decides it needs to be shut down (a week to two weeks... it just gets slow).

So... >_> could I buy a 1 Gig stick of ram and just stick it into my computer...? XD Or what do I need to do?

ChikoritaKaizer

Quality Check<br><span style="color: #1894fe;"><b>
128MB!?! Wow. A little more detail about your system and I can tell you exactly what RAM you can use. Also if you are running windows, a fresh install will speed things up.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Ohh oops I mean 248MB. Still practically same thing in my book >_>

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion
Pentium 4 CPU 2.93GHz
2.93GHz, 248MB of RAM

Microsoft XP Home Edition SP2 XP;

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Er... it's an HP Pavilion.. a810y

The sticker on the side of my tower says Model: a810y

ChikoritaKaizer

Alright, you can use any of these RAM sticks in your computer. 1GB should be fine for an upgrade and you'll definitely notice it. Just in case you don't want to use Frys, the kind of RAM you're looking for is PC3200 RAM.

DtD

[Z?]
Truly, if you want to do gaming...get a new PC. The Pentium 4 Chipset won't let you play much of anything, and I know this firsthand. My old PC was about the same specs.

If you're looking for a good desktop to do some gaming, go with an HP. They cost around $400-$1000 for a fairly good gaming PC. If you are looking for mobility, I'd highly suggest the Compaq Presario V6000, at Best Buy they run you $699.99 and is very good. I have one, and have only one complaint. Vista >_< But pretty much any new PC will get you Vista.

The other route you could take is to build your own, but I'd only suggest that if you know what you are doing. If you, it can be cheaper and you can get a lot better parts.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Get AMD if you're on budget, otherwise get a Core 2 Duo if you decided to buy a new PC. Don't make the same mistake I did - bought some DDR rams before I decided to buy a new PC which uses DDR2 rams.

DtD

[Z?]
pawitp;6888 said:
Get AMD if you're on budget, otherwise get a Core 2 Duo if you decided to buy a new PC. Don't make the same mistake I did - bought some DDR rams before I decided to buy a new PC which uses DDR2 rams.

With the AMD-Intel debate, here is what I say;

Single-Core: Use AMD
Dual-Core: Use AMD
If You're Fucking Rich: Use Intel Core-2 Duo

Many people don't realize that there is a difference between Core Duo and Core-2 Duo. AMD's answer to Core Duo is there x2 line, which is much better...but the Core-2 Duo is frickin' amazing.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Well this is most likely going to be my main PC. I don't get much money so I decided that I just really wanted more RAM.

I AM hoping my parents will buy me a laptop soon and if so, let me tell them some specs. Programming and robotics... and others misc. stuff since I want to get into Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering. A laptop is practically a necessity.

Skeith

Pentium 4 works just fine for gaming... for the moment. Mine can run a few high end games, F.E.A.R. for instance.

Just curious, though, but what's your graphics card?

DtD

[Z?]
Skeith;6917 said:
Pentium 4 works just fine for gaming... for the moment. Mine can run a few high end games, F.E.A.R. for instance.

Judging from what the rest of his PC is, he doesn't have one. So it's the Pentium 4's on board graphics, 32mb.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Skeith;6917 said:

Just the default crap that came with the computer.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Apparently, I have 2 sticks of 128MB RAM = 248 lolx

Anyways, will I still be able to only get 1 stick of 1Gig? Or do I need to get it in smaller.. like 2 512MB sticks?

ChikoritaKaizer

You could throw in 2 1GB sticks if you wanted to. Since the computer that you're using doesn't take advantage of dual channel memory, I'd suggest getting 1 1GB instead of 2 512MB.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Ohhh coolies. I'd love 2 1GB sticks but I don't have the funds yet. Maybe I can tell my cousin that's what I want for my birthday/christmas. Another stick of RAM >;3

I can buy my first one prolly when school starts I guess.

Thanks for the awesome help :3