Pokemon Movies Discussion thread

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Pokemon Movies Discussion thread

This is a thread for all the pokemon movies, and discussions about them. This includes, but is not limited to, general discussions, analysis of the movies, criticism, and of course, speculation. To date, there are 11 pokemon movies, with the 12th in the works.

List of Movies:

1. Mewtwo Strikes Back!
  2. Revelation Lugia
  3. Lord of the "Unknown" Tower
  4. Celebi A Timeless Encounter
  5. The Guardians of Altomare
  6. Wishing Star of the Seven Nights
  7. Deoxys the Visitor
  8. Mew and the Wave Hero
  9. The Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea
  10. Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai
  11. Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Shaymin
  12. To the Conquering of Space-Time (tentative)

US Dub Titles:
  1. Pokémon the First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back
  2. Pokémon the Movie 2000: The Power of One
  3. Pokémon 3: The Movie: Spell of the Unown
  4. Pokémon 4Ever: Celebi: Voice of the Forest
  5. Pokémon Heroes
  6. Jirachi: Wish Maker
  7. Destiny Deoxys
  8. Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
  9. Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
  10. The Rise of Darkrai
  11. Giratina and the Sky Warrior
Credit to Bulbapedia for the list of title names.

To break the ice, I'll start some speculation about the 12th movie. If you notice in the trailer at http://www.pokemon-movie.jp/, when Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina unleash their attacks, there appears to be a shining pokemon in the center that they happen to be targeting.

Ten bucks says it's either Cresselia, the Lake Trio, or most likely, given the calibur of the pokemon attacking, Arceus.

Takatofan1986

Stalking [you]
I stoped at 4, but i thought 2 and 4 were the best. Especially 4. I thought it was BRILLIANT to say Prof Oak was brought into the future as a kid, and became friends with Ash. That made a LOT of since, especially since he seemed to favor Ash over his own grandson.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
You forget though, for a large portion of the series, his grandson was a prick. He may have seen Ash as a good example for his grandson that he wished to follow. In otherwords, he wanted his grandson to grow to be like that future boy he met when he was young. In order to try to open his grandson's eyes, when that future boy was starting his journey, he gave as much help as he could to him, so as to aid the example for that grandson to follow.

To me, as Satoshi DID say where he was from, that's why I think the Prof moved there in the first place. So you have a very valid point that those incidences had an effect on his decisions.

Also, do your best to see the rest of the movies. I just saw Mew and the Wave Hero recently. God, that was a good movie...

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Well, I need to find subbed versions of all of the movies (hard thing to do for movies 3-7 & 9) so I can re-watch them in Japanese. Katsu-san has directed me to a place that subbed Movies 1 & 2. Gonna download them soon.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Heh, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I prefer the original voices to the dub ones. Satoshi actually sounds kinda cool at times in the original. I loved him in Mew and the Wave Hero as well as Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Shaymin, although Shaymin totally upstaged him in the latter one.

I actually like Shaymin quite a bit. ^-^

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
I did watch the first movie, not watched anymore since then. I tend to keep clear of them. However i was shown a clip of Shaymin and went awww it's so damn cute.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
The movies are really good compared to most of the episodes. Try finding subs if you can, but if not, settle for the Dubs.

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
I would have to say the movie I want to find subbed the most is probably either Movie 5 - "Guardian Gods of the City of Water: Latias and Latios" or Movie 6 - "Wishing Star of the Seven Nights: Jirachi" I heard 5 was changed quite a bit from the original. As for 6, I just want to see it because Jirachi is adorable. <3

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
I'm in agreement, there. I've only found four of the movies so far, as the other links I found for pokemon movies were dead links... I actually want to compare them all to their dub versions. ^-^

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Awww. I wish to someday get them all RAW to be able to use them for AMV material. I wish to also get them subbed to know what's going on.

So, which movie do you think was the best? (I know this was a poll earlier...a long time ago, but we need a topic other than downloading.) I personally love movies 8, 10, and 11 (Mew and the Wave-Guiding Hero: Lucario, Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai, and Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Sheimi).

jpwong

Voltanis;83613 said:
Awww. I wish to someday get them all RAW to be able to use them for AMV material. I wish to also get them subbed to know what's going on.

Kind of a pity you missed that release last year. 2 Boxsets of Movie 1-9 with a slot for 10 (I really hated the fact you had to live in Japan in order to redeem the coupon for the postcard set that you got for getting both halves of the boxset)

By preference I like Mew and the Wave Hero and The Guardians of Altomare the best.

If you need a breakdown of what's available from what groups, here's the list based on what I have or know about.

Mewtwo Strikes Back! - Ryuu-Rogue
Revelation Lugia - Not subbed by anyone
Lord of the "Unknown" Tower - Not subbed by anyone
Celebi A Timeless Encounter - nyf
The Guardians of Altomare - FP (#Free_Pokemon)
Wishing Star of the Seven Nights - Excal
Deoxys the Visitor - FP
Mew and the Wave Hero - PM (#PocketMonsters), Ryuu-Rogue
The Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea - PM
Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai - PM
Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Shaymin - PM

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
@Volt: Well, it IS a discussion thread. I'm surprised that nobody commented on the what I said about the preview of the next film. I SWEAR that's some kind of shining pokemon that they're attacking. That's what it looks like, at least to me. I actually liked the same movies as you, by the way... XD

Though I liked The Guardians of Altomare too. Hell, I never saw the sub. If they changed it so much and I liked it, imagine how much I'll like it when I watch the original version...

@jpwong: For #Free_Pokemon, what server? I don't think it's Rizon...

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
@ Role: Yeah. I really didn't pay much attention to the preview as so much is subject for change. They showed Satoshi riding on Pigeot for an early Movie 10 preview, and I believe Palkia was printed on an early Movie 11 poster. Because of this, I don't start paying attention until March to April.

@ jpwong: I don't buy Japanese DVDs as they're expensive and not worth it if I can just get a decent quality RAW. Also, Movies 1 & 2 have been subbed by GX_ST.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Heh, you do have a point there. I can't help but think that it's not just some beef that Giratina, Palkia, and Dialga have with each other. I think something's causing it, they figure it out, and move in to take it out.

And of course, our lovely mage---I mean, WAVE USER, Satoshi, will be there to witness and help solve it.

I swear, Satoshi must be the luckiest person alive. I highly doubt anyone else in that pokemon world has seen as many legendaries.

jpwong

Role;83616 said:

irc.dejatoons.net last time I checked, but that was years ago.
IIRC, they didn't exactly change much for Pokemon Heroes. I think one of the "big" changes was that they tried to remove the death implication for Latios.

Voltanis;83624 said:
@ jpwong: I don't buy Japanese DVDs as they're expensive and not worth it if I can just get a decent quality RAW. Also, Movies 1 & 2 have been subbed by GX_ST.

I'd say 9 movies for 24000 yen ($240 at the time) was worth it considering they cost about 4000 yen ($45 now approx) each normally. Never heard of GX_ST, which is probably why I didn't know they'd subbed any of the movies.

Role;83616 said:
I'm surprised that nobody commented on the what I said about the preview of the next film. I SWEAR that's some kind of shining pokemon that they're attacking.

Problem is all the promotional videos in the early stages tend to feature footage that gets cut, or completely different plot. Go look at all the promo commercials on the raw version of Movie 11 I uploaded. Every single promo except the last one featured a plot that wasn't even in the movie. Generally these promos tell you what pokemon you can expect to see, but that's about it.

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
jpwong;83692 said:
I'd say 9 movies for 24000 yen ($240 at the time) was worth it considering they cost about 4000 yen ($45 now approx) each normally. Never heard of GX_ST, which is probably why I didn't know they'd subbed any of the movies.

Well, I just don't find it worth it because I don't have a Region 2 DVD player so I would be unable to watch them. Otherwise, I may have considered it...plus I'm poor. ;-;

GX_ST mainly subs YGO so they're well known by YGO fanatics generally. That's probably why you didn't know. I am downloading a sub to see how good they are.

Flowsel

Haganenotsubasa
jpwong;83615 said:
If you need a breakdown of what's available from what groups, here's the list based on what I have or know about.

Mewtwo Strikes Back! - Ryuu-Rogue
Revelation Lugia - Not subbed by anyone
Lord of the "Unknown" Tower - Not subbed by anyone
Celebi A Timeless Encounter - nyf
The Guardians of Altomare - FP (#Free_Pokemon)
Wishing Star of the Seven Nights - Excal
Deoxys the Visitor - FP
Mew and the Wave Hero - PM (#PocketMonsters), Ryuu-Rogue
The Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea - PM
Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai - PM
Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Shaymin - PM

Some additions and corrections ~
Mewtwo Strikes Back! - Ryuu-Rogue, #GX_ST
Revelation Lugia - #GX_ST
Lord of the "Unknown" Tower - A sub of this is being worked on and will be released by #GX_ST this month
The Guardians of Altomare - #no-yen fansub (nyf)

Role;83616 said:
Free Pokemon = Excal = todays #PocketMonsters. At least I think it is this way.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
That's good to know. Do any of the IRC channels have corresponding websites?

jpwong

Flowsel;83948 said:
Free Pokemon = Excal = todays #PocketMonsters. At least I think it is this way.

Actually I think #Free_Pokemon had an internal dispute and the channel split, since #Free_Pokemon still exists on dejatoons, they are clearly 2 seperate channels (and I believe they hate each other's guts).

#Pocket_Monsters has a web site at http://www.pocketmonsters.net/ though I don't know how much it would help at all.

#Ryuu_Rogue maintains their site at http://community.livejournal.com/ryuu_rogue/

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
All but the latest movie have excellent dubs. Do not discuss fansubs, thanks.

This topic is for discussing the actual movies, not fansubs.

(I have deleted the last few posts that were entirely fansub-centric)

(And I will personally ban anyone that mentions #PM)