Pocket Monsters Anime (Japanese Version) Discussion Thread *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Most speculate that Ash's around 15, but if he's the same age as Gary, then he should be more around 20. @_@ I can't imagine a 15 year old being some sort of researcher.

This brings up a question: how old is Brock?

The next movie is also going to be a DP movie called Phantom Ruler Z. (And it seems like it's going to be like 4Ever with Celebi and time traveling. D<)

As for Naruto... the author at least thought about it.

Popcorn42

Satoshi has to be about 11.
At the end of that mini-short the 3rd movie had, he says to Pikachu that it's been at least a year since they started out. Don't think there's been any other confirmations.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
The third movie was FOREVER ago, but yeah, it was like the only confirmation of a "year" passing as far as I know. If the third movie = 1 year... the last movie is the 12th movie... We can assume he's 14?

Most believe he's around 14-15-ish.

I personally am just evil and count the actual years... which would make him 23. xD

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
/lurks in this topic

The creators conformed in an interview that Satoshi would not and has not gotten any older than he was when the series started. This leads me to believe that he is 10 or 11 still, depending on if you count the movies as AUs (which is entirely possible as the only relations from movies to the anime episodes is the ability for Satoshi to use Hadou, which was in Movie 8, but also in the Sumomo episodes). Other than that, the movies have never been referenced in the anime, and no concept of time, other than time of day, has ever been used in the anime.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
So in short, there is no concept of time in the series for the sake of simplicity?

The first movie had scenes that tied in with the anime, but... :/

I guess it is just easier to keep him the same age. Though it's hard to believe that one can travel across a couple of continents (essentially) in less than a year. xD

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Well, I can even fight all the bosses and get the legendaries in less than a day. XD

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
megumi;131579 said:
So in short, there is no concept of time in the series for the sake of simplicity?

My personal opinion - I think this is exactly what the anime is doing. They never want to get rid of Satoshi because he was the original character that they made more than 12 years ago, and because of this, they don't want to age him because it wouldn't be politically correct for a 18-21 year old man to be traveling around with a 10 year old girl whom he just met. All just my opinion, but this is why it seems like they don't want to deal with time.

megumi;131579 said:
The first movie had scenes that tied in with the anime, but... :/

It did? /hasn't watched the first movie in years and just keeps up with the episodes

megumi;131579 said:
I guess it is just easier to keep him the same age. Though it's hard to believe that one can travel across a couple of continents (essentially) in less than a year. xD

Yeah, it is hard to believe, but we have to remember that this is a show that children are supposed to enjoy. They can easily relate to a character that is younger (8-12) rather than a teenager, where personalities of an individual begin to alter into what that individual will be like when they are an adult. For the sake of keeping Satoshi the same age, time probably isn't and will never be considered.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Voltanis;131617 said:
...they don't want to age him because it wouldn't be politically correct for a 18-21 year old man to be traveling around with a 10 year old girl whom he just met.

xDD

Voltanis;131617 said:
It did? /hasn't watched the first movie in years and just keeps up with the episodes

Technically... :/ More like the movie referenced the anime. Not necessarily the anime referencing to the movie.

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
megumi;131619 said:
Technically... :/ More like the movie referenced the anime. Not necessarily the anime referencing to the movie.

Well, the movies always reference the anime as to introduce the characters. They always will start with something like "This boy is Satoshi from Masara Town. His ultimate goal is to be the World's Greatest Pokemon Master." It's up to the script writers to say how much of the anime is referenced, but my point is that the anime doesn't generally keep anything that happens in movies as part of the story. Take Movie 10 (Dialga VS Palkia VS Darkrai) for example. In the recent episodes, Akagi took control over Dialga and Palkia using Red Chains. The group witnessed Dialga's and Palkia's coming into the world, but they had no idea of what to do against them other than destroying the Red Chains. However, if they had the knowledge of Movie 10, they would know that playing the Oracion tune would quell their souls, no questions asked. Also, they would remember of the disasters that fell upon Alamos Town as Dialga and Palkia fought after meeting, yet they didn't know this, and they discovered that the world was becoming unstable after the chains were destroyed, to which they responded with the use of the Lake Trio. In addition, they acted as if they had never seen both Dialga and Palkia, while if the movies were in the "same universe" they would have already been familiar with their abilities and powers. This is why I consider the movies as AUs.

FYI, this just uses Movie 10 as an example, but I can think of examples from most of the movies to support my theory of movies being AUs.

Popcorn42

Voltanis;131617 said:

At the start of it, there's a shot of Shigeru getting his butt kicked by Mewtwo. The same scene's alluded to when Satoshi goes for his last badge.

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Popcorn42;131623 said:
At the start of it, there's a shot of Shigeru getting his butt kicked by Mewtwo. The same scene's alluded to when Satoshi goes for his last badge.

Okay, that scene. I now remember that. It is a major reference, but it's background information that sets up the plot of the movie with Mewtwo being one of the most powerful Pokemon. By showing Satoshi's rival being defeated easily by Mewtwo (from the anime), it sets up the conflict that Mewtwo isn't just any ordinary Pokemon and its power surpasses anything Satoshi has ever seen. Like I said above, I think this is just giving necessary background information on the characters in the movie, which would include Mewtwo as a character, rather than as a Pokemon in the movie (which I would actually do).

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
/pops in to say this

MOST RECENT 3 DP EPISODES WERE AMAZING!!!

/leaves this inactive thread

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
:-O *goes finds and watches*

I haven't been paying attention to the Pokemon anime recently.