Official Digimon Subtitles?!

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Hagaren Gao;7716 said:
I seem to be the only oen who doesn't really midn the edited Digimon, haha. I find the edits in anime amusing ;p

Yeah, like in one clip, a person is standing up, the next, he's on the ground and you're like ....:blink: ....(of course, editing out punching to the ground part XD)

But the Edits in Digimon arent nearly as bad as other anime....and think of it this way....if they release Digimon unedited...there's a high possible chance that Digimon Savers might actually be released like other anime DVDs....English and Japanese language avalable and subtitles avalable.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
I personally like the original music and a majority of the original voices, so that's enough of a reason for me to watch subs for me...especially music wise. Sucks the dub didn't have rights to the original music and background stuff.

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Hm. That's a tough call. I'd rather see Dats finish subbing Digimon. I have a built in mistrust with corperations working on subs for one. And I'd also rather pay for it if it was on DVD rather than direct download. I like the custom covers and DVD cases.
I also don't know exactly how the direct "download" works either. Is it an AVI or some WMV file that you can't burn to DVD?

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
It'd probably be WMV, so then it has those protections and such on it =\

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Kazemon15;7723 said:
Yeah, like in one clip, a person is standing up, the next, he's on the ground and you're like ....:blink: ....(of course, editing out punching to the ground part XD)

Or the WHOLE ONE PIECE DUB. Seriously, it's hillarious.

I thought it was interesting that Slam Duck is in there. I've heard some greta things about Slam Dunk, and would love to see it.
lol, Slam Duck? I meant Dunk.

Hm. That's a tough call. I'd rather see Dats finish subbing Digimon. I have a built in mistrust with corperations working on subs for one. And I'd also rather pay for it if it was on DVD rather than direct download. I like the custom covers and DVD cases.
I also don't know exactly how the direct "download" works either. Is it an AVI or some WMV file that you can't burn to DVD?
Technicly Dats finished subbeg Savers? Yeah, I don't want to really Direct Download it either, but maybe this could mean DVDs later. Who knows.

Tcatomon

Er, well, my bad.. I meant Digimon in general, not just Savers. They can do whatever the heck they want with Savers now.. I have the DATs subs on DVDs.. and that's aaaaall I need. o,o *hyooog snoogle*

And that's what I figured they'd do with the direct downloads.. charge you money to download something you can only watch on a computer (or only watch while you're online).. which is lame.

neochu

FUZZY~~
I think people are jumping the gun a little bit on this issue and talking waay more about what would happen if something like this came along.

By looking at the article it says "Toei Video On Demand". For those who pay the 60+ bux a month for the digital TV services high enough to get such a rare and sparsely deployed service you will know what "video on demand" actually is. Its just like "Pay Per View" Where you pay a fee to view a special event, movie or channel for a certain period of time. When that time or event expires you no longer have access to it and must pay the fee again to re-watch the event or channel for another period. Im reminded of "The Anime Network" which is offered by Rogers as a VOD soely in Toronto only with something like this. The level of prerequisite service is close to 80 canadian dollars a month and its 20 dollars for 24 hours of veiwing. This wouldn't be some download or streaming thing thats widely available it would be just another pay per view item for premium buyers that would have limited to no mass exposure.

For something like this it would most likely be on Toei's Broadband TV service. They have a network on pay TV and I don't know if it is available in the US or in other places however because of progamming liscencing. Of course such an issue wouldnt effect fansubbers much anyways. The exposure would be so small why bother going after them. It would be no different than doing the subbing now. This isn't some mass easy to get DVD realease afterall.

It would also most likely be beaming a timed subtitle track with the rest of the stream In something like a close captioned format but in the language of choice. The classic DVD subtitles we see on DVDs today have no real rendering method for something that would be comming in off a stream. Unlike a consistent DVD source a stream has more issues involved, not to mention the setting and rendering hardware needed. Its theroretically possible though so who knows. And no matter what the method the standard rules for pay per view events would apply. It could be very difficult to capture the subtitles out of the video if you were to obtain it.

Aside from the technical stuff. Its nice to see Toei possibly responding to its customers it shows where their commitments lie. Even if its haphazardly done they have "thrown us a bone" per se and thats somewhat comforting. You vote with the pocket book so if you dont like something dont buy it.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Too lazy to read most of it but one comment got to me. Supposedly it WOULD be download to own.

"Since ANN's new survey software is not yet linked within the "my ANN" tab, here is a friendly reminder: ANN is running a poll for Toei to find out which of its titles you would like to see via video on demand (subtitled in English via download-to-own and Cable/IPTV)" Notice, the "download-to-own" part? Which is why we all assumed that.

neochu

FUZZY~~
You would still need some form of broadband TV most likely as it wouldn't be something like netflix. You would need the cable or other TV service and a TiVO box or something as you would now with owning/downloading video now from such things. I dont think its being advertised as a purchase thing. Though this deals with issues into what kind of service Toei is actually deploying here.

The availability still stands as well with liscencing. IPTV too is still very experimental because there are very few areas that give homeowners the level of connection required and cable is a whole other story.
I dont know though really It seems a bit jumping the gun though on how wide of an audience it would reach

amigobro2

Well, Toei Animation's BB Premium has 40 series for download-to-own for ¥100 [yen] (~$1.00 US) for each episode. So that's not so bad if they decide to do that for Americans...actually it's better if they do!

Usually individual episodes of any series has a value in that range from $1-3, at the most, it depends. So that's not so bad, a entire Digimon series would be worth like around $50 which if it was on DVD it would be a little to A LOT more, though I am new at learning the costs of TV episodes! :p

Tcatomon

amigobro2;7892 said:
So that's not so bad, a entire Digimon series would be worth like around $50 which if it was on DVD it would be a little to A LOT more

Hehe. It depends on where/when/how you get them, but you also have to take into account that there's no extras, no dual audio (and most of the time if they have both tracks the subs are based on the english.. though alot of companies are smartening up.. which game companies would do the same), no packaging or cases, and (more than likely) no way to watch them again at a friend's house or if your computer explodes. So, yes, it's cheaper, but because you don't get anything else with it.
And yes <_< the whole "legal" vs fansubs thing comes into effect, but if you just want subs I don't see why you'd bother petitioning to pay for them. o_o
If they released the five series (dual audio) on DVD tomorrow I'd seriously concider picking up the first three (02 for sure)!
Then there's the whole 'are they releasing the english or japanese versions'. ... hrm.

Blarg. Why couldn't they just release it on DVD originally instead of the first six episodes of each season? We wouldn't be having this topic XD
I'd gladly plop down $50 for the japanese episodes!

amigobro2

Tcatomon;7905 said:
Hehe. It depends on where/when/how you get them, but you also have to take into account that there's no extras, no dual audio (and most of the time if they have both tracks the subs are based on the english.. though alot of companies are smartening up.. which game companies would do the same), no packaging or cases, and (more than likely) no way to watch them again at a friend's house or if your computer explodes. So, yes, it's cheaper, but because you don't get anything else with it.
And yes <_< the whole "legal" vs fansubs thing comes into effect, but if you just want subs I don't see why you'd bother petitioning to pay for them. o_o
If they released the five series (dual audio) on DVD tomorrow I'd seriously concider picking up the first three (02 for sure)!
Then there's the whole 'are they releasing the english or japanese versions'. ... hrm.

Blarg. Why couldn't they just release it on DVD originally instead of the first six episodes of each season? @_@

Yeah, that's what I meant from "a little to A LOT more", DVDs always have extras on it, it just depends on what is added exactly to make the value of the price. ;)

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Just something I thought some people would like to know. I think you can vote again after 24 hours. So spam Digimon votes? XD

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Kage;7992 said:
Just something I thought some people would like to know. I think you can vote again after 24 hours. So spam Digimon votes? XD

Really...? ....I went back just now and it still said "thank you for participating."

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I've voted about 5 times now since I've heard about it. 1 or 2 votes less. XD

scaji

Pink Floyd fanatic
Too late to say this now (what with the official subs actually released), but still:

DATS does a much better job than anyone else ever could.
For example: I've compared DATS' subs for "Deltora Quest" with English subtitles ripped from the official DVD (imported), and DATS' were worded far more appropriately.
I personally think DATS should continue, regardless of the existence of official subs.
I'd personally pay to see DATS finish the series themselves. ...That is, if I actually had money to spare.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
1) Deltora Quest DVDs do not have English subtitles, so you got a bootleg.

2) We are not going to continue fansubbing Zero Two, no ifs, no ands, no buts.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
WTF why was nearly a year old topic revived in the first damn place
08-20-2007, 12:26 AM = last post before his.