Mighty No. 9 - a new project by Keiji Inafune

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
So, the father of Rockman decided to build him a brother, with the help of the fans. Wound up getting fully funded within a day, and we've almost raised enough for console releases. I'm actually really excited about this, particularly because this approach allows Keiji to do whatever he wants with the franchise, rather than being told by capcom.

Of course, the fandom reaction has been rather... interesting. It seems there's still a heck of a lot of animosity towards capcom about their treatment of Rockman, so a ton of those fans have been voicing huge amounts of support for this spiritual successor. What are your thoughts about the whole thing?

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
I've been watching it since it launched (literally, within minutes of its launch, watching it hit milestones extremely quickly). Never really been into Megaman games, but I'm glad this has worked out for him.

They're almost at the stretch goal for the console versions which is really something. It's always nice to see Kickstarters exceedingly succeed.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
I've got my fingers crossed for the 3.3 million mark. While not exactly likely at the current pace, I'd love this game to come out for my PS4.

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Well... I am somehow not as great a fan to Rockman as you but... Makes me wonder why they would need funding for the game, since they make money from selling the games... Does this mean the game will be free when they are released?

bladesworn

Shenanigans Instigator
The Destroyer is Manifest
Well... I am somehow not as great a fan to Rockman as you but... Makes me wonder why they would need funding for the game, since they make money from selling the games... Does this mean the game will be free when they are released?

Rather than getting backing from a game company like Capcom who would meddle with how the development of the game would go, they're independently getting the game published. The thing is they still need money to fund all the development. That's why they're using kickstarter.

It will cost money to buy the game when it comes out, but if you donate enough to them now you'll get the game when it comes out as long as they get the target amount of money to make it in the end.

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Rather than getting backing from a game company like Capcom who would meddle with how the development of the game would go, they're independently getting the game published. The thing is they still need money to fund all the development. That's why they're using kickstarter.

It will cost money to buy the game when it comes out, but if you donate enough to them now you'll get the game when it comes out as long as they get the target amount of money to make it in the end.
Naruhodo... I see...

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
The biggest thing I see coming from this is the active community involvement and transparency that development can have with its fans. Publishers are usually very closed off and strict about what they announce or share about games of which I'm not a fan of.

That and the goodies they offered...