Matt and Sora Second or Third

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Frozen Twins;21101 said:
Alright, this is about the fact that Matt is the "Second person" in all of the things. Second to Activate crest, Second to Gain the first digievolutions, Second to Gain Mega and so forth. Sora is always the one who occupies the third devision. If they had created more Megas, the next would have been Soras.

Sorry if somebody has already mentioned it, but I'm sure that Sora got her ultimate (perfect) fourth, and izzy got his a few episodes prior.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Johnzaloog;22318 said:
Sorry if somebody has already mentioned it, but I'm sure that Sora got her ultimate (perfect) fourth, and izzy got his a few episodes prior.
Yeah, you're right. Sora might have been third to get her Digimon to evolve to the adult (champion?) level first, but she was definitely after Koushirou when it came to getting Birdramon to evolve to the perfect (ultimate) stage.

I bet that's because her character had to go through a stage dealing with herself and insecurity issues (kind of). Koushirou, imo, really didn't...not at that point anyway, that would affect the evolution of his partner.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Role;22276 said:
Hmm... Well, my own opinon on this matter... In each series, you have the Goggleboy, the Lone Wolf, the Keeper, and actually a Late Joining type person.

In the Adventure, that would be Hikari, in 02, Ken, in Tamers that-guy-with-the-Cyberdramon-whom's-name-I-can-never-remember, in Frontier you had Kouji's brother, and in Savers you had Ikuto. So, going on what I was seeing earlier, there's at least 4 major roles in digimon, and often most anime for that matter.

But, well, I guess I agree with what was said earlier about 02, that it didn't do as good of a job with them. It DID have all the roles, though. Daisuke as the Goggleboy, Iori was the Lone Wolf (but to a much less degree from what I saw), Miyako was the Keeper (again, to a lesser extent), and Ken was the Late Joiner.

But... well, personally, here's what I see:

The Goggleboy is the leader, and often has a Fire/Dinosaur based digimon.
The Lone Wolf is there as support, and usually has a wolf or beast-type digimon. How fitting.
The Keeper keeps everyone together in hard times. Their digimon didn't have a set type, though.
The Late Joiner, in most cases seems to be someone who has changed sides to join the main group's side. In the case of Adventure, it was Tailmon who switched, rather than Hikari, but later, in 02 it was Ken, in Frontier it was Kouji's brother, and in Savers it was Ikuto. I missed the part in Tamers where it happened, and I could be wrong on who it is. For all I know, this role could belong to Impmon. Like with the keeper, there seems to be no general theme to what the digimon parter is, though.

But those are the 4 main roles I see being pretty much always there. So, pretty much:

The goggleboy will be a leader type with a dinosaur-like digimon.
The lone wolf will be a loner who lends their support with a beast-type digimon.
The keeper is the mediator of the group, who keeps them together.
The late joiner is the one who changes sides and joins the group as the series progresses.

That pretty much sums it up. Just that Ryo did not switch Sides. More like crossing Dimensions.

Ofcourse in every sereis there is also the role of the "Little Kid" Character, who is younger than the others. Usually the Little Kid is annoying, but at atleast one Event he/she proves usefull.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
MugenSeiRyuu;22369 said:
Ofcourse in every sereis there is also the role of the "Little Kid" Character, who is younger than the others. Usually the Little Kid is annoying, but at atleast one Event he/she proves usefull.
That's definitely a matter of opinion there.

Seems that people found Takeru of Adventure annoying, and I found him to be completely adorable. I really liked his character for Adventure. Same goes for characters like Shuichon (Tamers) and Tomoki (Frontier). I liked them because of how adorable and innocent they were. In other words, I liked the fact that they acted their respective ages, which gave them a bit of a realism. I also really liked Ikuto and Chika for Savers.

Hikari (Adventure), on the other hand, was an okay character, but, I didn't care for her because she seemed to close to a Mary Sue for me (well, in 02 she came across this way), even though she did have "issues". I guess, for Adventure, for an eight year old, she was too serious for my liking.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
SSJ Jup81;22426 said:
Hikari (Adventure), on the other hand, was an okay character, but, I didn't care for her because she seemed to close to a Mary Sue for me (well, in 02 she came across this way), even though she did have "issues". I guess, for Adventure, for an eight year old, she was too serious for my liking.

Mary sue? was she one of the contaminated kids? I thought Iori was the kid from that season.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Obviously.

I think Hikari was one adorable little Kid. Always thinking about others first.

Ikuto is quite interesting, but never annoying. And I like Chika´s way of being the reason in the Daimon Household, with her having a sarcastic streak at times.

I think she would make a good Keeper.

LunamonZero

Lunamon Tamer
Johnzaloog;22428 said:
Mary sue? was she one of the contaminated kids? I thought Iori was the kid from that season.

No Mary Sue is a expression or term used on character that are... well... to perfect... there characters that lacked noteworthy or realistic flaws and they usually come off as very cliché

SSJ Jup81;22426 said:

Well you do have the right to your opinion, and you dont have to like her, but the truth is i don’t really think she can be counted as a Mary Sue, since a Mary Sue is supposed to be a flawless character or at least lack realistic flaws... as much as i hate to say it, Hikari was FAR from flawless, she had a very realistic flaw of bottling emotions and problems. She has gotten sick twice because she never said anything to anyone about how she was feeling physically, then she wouldn’t express herself in the episode were she was taken to the Dark world. In fact her problem of bottling her feelings seems to get to points were she actually sometimes snaps, like the episode were she slap Miyako and then later broke down in fear and needed to be slapped herself in the same episode. (Take it from a person with personal experience in Bottling feelings; she does it and can she can sometimes be quite annoying for it)

MugenSeiRyuu;22429 said:
I like Chika´s way of being the reason in the Daimon Household, with her having a sarcastic streak at times.

I think she would make a good Keeper.

To bad her character was never developed enough to the point were she actually could be a keeper

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
LunamonZero;22477 said:
Well you do have the right to your opinion, and you dont have to like her, but the truth is i don’t really think she can be counted as a Mary Sue, since a Mary Sue is supposed to be a flawless character or at least lack realistic flaws...
I never said she was a Mary Sue...I said she came across that way because of how the characters around her treated her. Her brother complex is a prime example of a character with "problems". The way she bottles stuff up, as it was pointed out, is a flaw of hers too. I can relate because I do the same exact thing and have snapped on a person before. Lost a friend over it too.

That aside, I never said I disliked her. I didn't dislike any Adventure/Adventure 02 character. Either a character is a favorite or non-favorite for me. Hikari's character is a "non-favorite" for me. In Adventure, she was too serious for her age, imo, and for Adventure 02, she was too well-liked, imo, by the other characters. Getting right down to it, I don't think I disliked any character of any season, 'cept for Masaru of Savers. I just found him highly annoying.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
I did like Adventure for the fact that none of the characters were ever perfect, and they cracked like normal people would. Tai trying too hard in his leadership role, Matt wanting to die in a cave alone, Sora thinking she had no love in her heart, etc. It then made T.K.'s ascension to protector when Piedmon came calling all the more natural.

I'd say Matt came second, but it was never a role he felt completely comfortable with, since he didn't even consider himself a very good brother to T.K. So in that respect, he passed the role to Sora without saying that in so many words.

I think the loners do have more power than they even realize, since in the end they seem to showcase traits reminiscent of both the leaders and caretakers.