Koushiro "Izzy" vs. Touma "Thomas"

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
Chomper;15597 said:
I feel that if Izzy and Thomas were the same age, they would be pretty close IQ wise. I think Thomas is smarter ONLY because he has had several years more study time than Izzy.

Age has nothing to do with it, I think...
Koushiro - (age 10) understood computers and how they worked far better than his peers, which saved the group in many situations [A random point of interest, he knew next to nothing about occultism when he had to figure out the card patterns to open Vamdemon's gate. He almost always relied on the internet to get his information], (age 13) is captain of the computer club, (age 30-ish) has his job with computers and research.

(I'm just nudging you a little on the "computer" parts here. Just a little. ;P)

Tohma - (age 13) graduated valedictorian from Stockholm university of science, (age 14) has a Ph.D medical degree, helped to build DATS transportation equipment and he's relied on to fix the thing when Masaru breaks it, knows over 170 languages according to Gaomon, apparently knows something about psychology as well if his visit to Professor Stimson in California was anything, (age 19) wins Nobel Prize in medicine.

...Age really has nothing to do with it. D:

Everything that SSJ Jup81 has said is right (or at least I agree 100%), listen to her. xP

Edit: I can't think of an argument for/against the money issue, because we'll never really know.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Though Koroku did raise an interesting point, Koushiro didn't exactly have the money to support him if he would've gone out to learn other things...

But I still think Touma would beat Koushiro right now. Touma has more of the "child prodigy" genius things going for him than Koushiro. Though, you have to think that with the financial backing Touma had, he also did it all under the motivation of helping Relena.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Kage;15607 said:
Though Koroku did raise an interesting point, Koushiro didn't exactly have the money to support him if he would've gone out to learn other things...

But I still think Touma would beat Koushiro right now. Touma has more of the "child prodigy" genius things going for him than Koushiro. Though, you have to think that with the financial backing Touma had, he also did it all under the motivation of helping Relena.

Touma did do alot of things...and it was all driven by his passion to help Relena...but which brought up another interesting question...would Touma really would have tried as hard as he did in school to become a "prodigy" if Relena wasnt there?

Both Touma and Izzy didnt seem much like in the "genius" material until seeing/hearing something shocking and/or something that affects a loved one... [Izzy with his adoption and Touma with his mother/hearing about his sister]

Izzy's adoption doesnt compare to Touma's little sister's sickness....so of course, Touma would try harder with his loved one on the line....and money does seem to be a factor... [Izzy only lives in a small apartment, Touma's dad lives in a mansion] ...so it really depends on the circumstances and who tried harder and who does have more money to be sent away to college. (And in Japan, children cant skip grades anyway, can they? I saw it during one of the season 2 eps with Ken, Japanese children can't skip on to college) In my vote, I do think Touma tried harder because of Relena...but if Relena was never there or was never in danger of dying, I'm not sure if he would have done better to learn more about those things he did.

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
Okay, this is sorta off topic but I am just wondering how did amigobro2 vote for both?

Oh when I voted I choose the one that I though currently is the smartest and not because or what if situations.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
G4bumon;15610 said:
Okay, this is sorta off topic but I am just wondering how did amigobro2 vote for both?

Oh when I voted I choose the one that I though currently is the smartest and not because or what if situations.

I made it so you can vote for both if you wanted, lol.

And wouldnt it be an interesting discussion? After all, life experiences make you what you are...

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Kazemon15;15609 said:
Touma did do alot of things...and it was all driven by his passion to help Relena...but which brought up another interesting question...would Touma really would have tried as hard as he did in school to become a "prodigy" if Relena wasnt there?
He probably would've been. He would've been doing his school work at a high level regardless of his sister, imo. Now his improving upon it probably had something to do with his sister, but the fact that he can learn to that capacity still shows he's a prodigy. Some people can study something constantly, but that doesn't mean that they're going to become smart and retain it.

Either way, that still doesn't change the fact that nowhere is Koushirou ever noted on his school work or anything remotely close to it. Jou always was.

Once again, Koushirou seemed to only be knowledgeable whenever it came to things that interested him or would benefit him. onkeikun made a very good example of how most of the stuff associated with him, always came back to computers and his working with them in some way. And then look at the job he ended up with...a Digital World researcher...where he used computers. Two major interests for him.
(And in Japan, children cant skip grades anyway, can they? I saw it during one of the season 2 eps with Ken, Japanese children can't skip on to college)
Not sure about the skipping thing, but I do know that the requirement to apply to a university over there is to just have graduated high school (grades obviously don't matter, from what I've learned). It's not even mandatory to go to high school over there, to my understanding.

TuxRug

Retired
Gotta say Koushiro. Touma is smart, but for most of the series he was a stuffed-up snob about it. Sure, we got some backstory to explain it, and he turned nicer, but Koushiro is smart and studies everything. Sometimes he zones out (like me) thinking about geeky stuff, and he carries his laptop everywhere (like me). I'm gonna have to say Koushiro > Touma. Now on the other hand, Gaomon > Tentomon.

TuxRug

Retired
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by TuxRug
but Koushiro is smart and studies everything.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
No he doesn't...
^He pulls out his laptop every chance he gets and analyzes whatever he can.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Sometimes he zones out (like me) thinking about geeky stuff, </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
No he doesn't...
^He did, trying to translate the letters on a wall, pissing off Mimi and causing her to storm off. He didn't even realize Mimi was gone after Palmon told him (and it took a while for her to get his attention too).

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> and he carries his laptop everywhere (like me). </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->So do I, but that doesn't mean I'm smart.
^Agreed, but that was meant as a way I can relate to him. I could have worded it better.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
TuxRug said:
^He pulls out his laptop every chance he gets and analyzes whatever he can.
Only when it's necessary and usually when it comes to stuff that interests him, hence his occupation as an adult. This still doesn't show that he's smart. Either way, he's still using his computer, his number 1 interest.
^He did, trying to translate the letters on a wall, pissing off Mimi and causing her to storm off. He didn't even realize Mimi was gone after Palmon told him (and it took a while for her to get his attention too).
This can be easily explained. Koushirou, at that point, wasn't good with people, because of his adoption complex (remember, to avoid associating with people, he tends to bury himself on his computer). Aside from that, he found it interesting, the code, because he saw it earlier, and wanted to figure it out based on data he already had. This doesn't mean he's smart...that just shows taht, once again, he's applying his knowledge specifically to something that piqued his curiosity and interest and it, once again, was connected to his computer, something he knows a lot about. There's nothing in the series to show that he's particularly smart overall. Koushirou is computer smart, not overall smart. You know, it's sort of how he wasn't the one to figure out the cards at Vamdemon's castle. He couldn't use his computer for that.

Touma is overall smart and advanced. He can speak multiple langauges, received a PH D at a young age, graduated from a university at the top of his class at like 13...I don't see how the two are even comparable. Touma's in a whole different league.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
PrimoPiccolo;15698 said:
Because people actually like Koushiro. LOL
*Points to my first post in this topic* Koushirou is my all-time favorite character period [literally, I like him most regardless of whatever fandom I'm apart of], but I'm not letting that blind my decision either. Touma is smarter than Koushirou and has the degrees to prove it.:p

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Yes, which is why I respect you.

But I've been around long enough to know that 80% of all people who vote in message board polls decide blindly quite often.

Chomper

The Friendly Sharptooth
My Mistake

About my previous post, I didn't know exact ages, I just thought Thomas was several years older because he looks a lot older than Izzy; he acts like it to. But I must say that if Izzy had had the same classes that Thomas has had throughout his life, there would be more to compare. They both had incredible understanding of the situations around them on their adventures. Judging by the house of Thomas and that of Izzy, it would seem that Izzy's family probably couldn't provide the necessary means to get a PhD like Thomas could. So yes, Thomas had the education making him smarter but if they both had the same classes and with their understanding, then they would be comparable. (Now that I know how close they were in age, my post made me look like an idiot. There goes my reputation. My face color and a strawberry's are comparable now though.)

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
SSJ Jup81;15694 said:
You know, it's sort of how he wasn't the one to figure out the cards at Vamdemon's castle. He couldn't use his computer for that.

Touma is overall smart and advanced. He can speak multiple langauges, received a PH D at a young age, graduated from a university at the top of his class at like 13...I don't see how the two are even comparable. Touma's in a whole different league.

:confused: ....Correct me if I'm wrong, but Izzy did figure it out and did use his computer (Digimon analyzer) to figure out the cards at Myotismon's castle.

And I agree with the above post.

And this isnt an argument, just an interesting discussion, right, people? ....forgive me if it's started to look like an argument.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Kazemon15;15724 said:
:confused: ....Correct me if I'm wrong, but Izzy did figure it out and did use his computer (Digimon analyzer) to figure out the cards at Myotismon's castle.
Yeah, you're right, but still, what did he do? He didn't know anything about it and had to pull out his computer to find something dealing with cards and patterns. If he was already overall smart, he wouldn't have needed it.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
SSJ Jup81;15725 said:
Yeah, you're right, but still, what did he do? He didn't know anything about it and had to pull out his computer to find something dealing with cards and patterns. If he was already overall smart, he wouldn't have needed it.

Even if he was overall smart, he still wouldnt have known unless he looked at the computer...I doubt Touma had memorized every Digimon biography and could classify every detail of the Digimon...I have seen him use a laptop to help him learn the biography (DemiMeramon)...and the cards themselves, you had to know which was data, virus and vaccine....I doubt anyone could know the difference between the data and vaccine ones at the top of their head without looking it up.

PsstBehindU

Koushiro or Izzy in english i prefer him becasue i prefer the old school Digimon to the new becasue i grew up with it

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
I think Touma is smarter because he has tons of battle strategies that get him through many situations. Also, he fooled a genius like Kurata. That alone says something.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Kazemon15;15727 said:
Even if he was overall smart, he still wouldnt have known unless he looked at the computer...I doubt Touma had memorized every Digimon biography and could classify every detail of the Digimon...I have seen him use a laptop to help him learn the biography (DemiMeramon)...and the cards themselves, you had to know which was data, virus and vaccine....I doubt anyone could know the difference between the data and vaccine ones at the top of their head without looking it up.
Didn't he keep all of his Digimon data on his laptop? This still doesn't show that he's "smart". Once again, he was applying knowledge to something he already had an interest in, or had gained an interest in...the Digital World and its inhabitants (the Digimon there). This is why he doesn't come across as "smart" to me. He only applies his knowledge when it benefits him or when it interests him. Can you point out a time where he showed his intelligence where it didn't seem to revolve around or involve Digimon or the Digital World or computers in any way or form?

That's why I said Touma was an "overall" type of smart. It isn't as limited as Koushirou's, since he doesn't seem to apply it to matters outside of Digimon, based on what we know and have seen. His [Koushirou] schooling is never even mentioned in the series....you know, like if he had top marks or anything like that, or if he was even serious about it...not like Jou who worked hard to get into a private school and who attended juku constantly.