Koushiro "Izzy" vs. Touma "Thomas"

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Koushiro "Izzy" vs. Touma "Thomas"

Now that I have my precious shift key back (on a laptop) ....I was thinking of something very interesting...I wonder which of these two geniuses in Digimon is smarter? Sorry, Ken fans, I dont really think Ken counts since the dark spore is what made him smarter....and sorry, Nanami fans, she doesnt count since she's....well...an enemy, lol.

My vote...Izzy! Why? ..because he seems to use his brain more.....Touma....he has both brains and strength.....and I think during the later part of the series, he starts using strength more....plus, I just like Izzy more...lol.

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Can't really say who is smarter... but Koushirou is more of a computer type genius and Touma is more overall.

Touma has it all, while Koushirou has only his computer :D

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I think Tohma is better than Koushiro overall in terms of being a "genius" but Koushiro's more my type... if I was interested in guys. I love computers...

It's true though, Koushiro is one of the more useful child prodigies of all Chosen Children because he's used his intellect a lot during the adventures. The problem with Tohma is that technically from what I got from Savers, he wanted to use his intellect to prove himself and save Relena.

Edit: Tohma used his intellect more outside of the whole "digimon" part in his life while I don't remember Koushiro using his intellect much outside of digimon and computers.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
I like Koshiro way more than Touma, but this is not about who I like more. Touma has a greater variety. Koushiro is good in Computer and Digimon Research, but Touma is also a Doctor ( even if I would want a second opinion when he made his diagnosis ) and a tactical Genius ( atleast so they say, his tactics don´t convince me. ).
I think he is pretty much overrated, in reality and in the series, but he is still an overall Genius as opposed to Computer Genius Koushiro.

If Nanami was on that I would vote for her since she owns Touma by far, but since that is not the case, I would say that Touma is smarter.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Touma does everything on a higher level than normal people. Battle tactics, computer analysis, surgery, even his scheming to thwart Kurata baffled everyone.

Touma's easily the smartest person ever seen in Digimon.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
I think Touma is smarter than Izzy (Don't ask why I am mixing dub and Japanese names; I have no idea), heck, Touma has a few years on Izzy, so that's not too surprising. BUT, Izzy used his computer smarts a lot more to help the group, while with Touma it just kinda seemed like...he was supposed to be smart. Sure, he made a couple tactical strategies, but nothing on the same level of what Izzy did.

Heck, the original Digidestened would have been hopeless without Izzy. If Touma didn't exist...the Savers group might have been able to get by anyway. (I'd have Gaomon.)

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
I'm of the opinion that Tohma's real abilities got shafted for Masaru's be-a-man-river-of-potential speeches, so I think this is an unfair question. xD

If in terms of "smart" you mean "having a high IQ," Tohma would win. Not that I'm saying Koushiro doesn't have a high IQ... he definitely has above-average intelligence, but not the sort that would have allowed him to breeze through college level academics when he was 11 years old.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Koushiro used his computer too much for his information, Touma had a degree in something or other...need to watch ep3 again.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
My vote goes to Touma, even though Koushirou is one of my all-time favorite characters. Koushirou showed to be computer smart and had a good memory, and showed to be most knowledgeable when it came to things of interest to him that he wanted to find out more about. Hence his being a researcher as an adult. He applies his knowledge to situations he wants to know more about. The dub, imo, over-emphasized his intelligence, making him smarter than what he originally was (I swear for one ep in 02, he was going on about solving physics equations [or a game] for fun, but I don't recall the original mentioning anything like that as to why the others couldn't call him or something). IMO, I always found Jou to be smarter than Koushirou, but, just when it comes to books, maths, and sciences.

Touma, on the other hand, was a literal genius. Probably one of the most intelligent Digimon characters to date.

They're all "smart" just in different ways.

celestial_sacred

SSJ Jup81;15450 said:
They're all "smart" just in different ways.

I agree.

But I'm going for Tohma (whoa.. Koushirou 11, Tohma 12). Yes. Koushirou is smart and knowledgeable, when it comes to computers and research. You can never deny it. I don't consider him a genius but rather an expert in that particular field. Tohma had a lot of facts supporting that he's a genius (although it isn't really shown, it has been told so). He's capable of many things which humans with normal IQ might not be able to do. He won a Nobel Prize in Medicine at 19 years!

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Wow, such a close race....hmm...it does seem Touma is smart overall...but him not doing much in Savers really doesnt convince me.

Izzy is indeed computer smart...but I think he could be overall smart if he wanted to (if he could get off his damn computer to..lol)

Yeah, I agree about Touma...but I judge based on what I see in the show...and overall, I think Izzy uses his brain more in the show than Touma.

Heh and true, everyone is smart in their own different ways...the leaders are smart in their "determined" ways...and such... ^^

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Kazemon15;15523 said:
Yeah, I agree about Touma...but I judge based on what I see in the show...and overall, I think Izzy uses his brain more in the show than Touma.

I know what you mean, but in adventure there were 7/8/14 main chosen children and if there were that many mixed characters then the series would just be a bit dull.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Touma - based on what he has done, however add Wallance into the Mix if you remember what Koushiro said in the dub (dunno if he said it in the original)

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Vande;15554 said:
Touma - based on what he has done, however add Wallance into the Mix if you remember what Koushiro said in the dub (dunno if he said it in the original)
Koushirou doesn't even know Wallace in the original. In movie 2, the kids were random, and he did mention a kid in America (if I'm remembering this right), but it wasn't Wallace like people keep saying.

Either way, Touma is still smarter to me than both Koushirou and Wallace (if movie 3 is any indication). I doubt Koushirou could come up with a cure for a rare disease and stuff at such an early age. Touma seems to be smart overall, Koushirou is knowledgeable when it comes to things that he is fully interested in learning more about and seems to look at everything logically and analytically in a general sense (I do this when it comes to people, but that doesn't mean I'm smart), so, in a way, his knowledge is a bit limited, imo, since he seems to only apply it to technology (computers, machinery) and stuff of interest (Digital World for instance).

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
Yep, Tohma. *steals his PhD's and language skills and makes a run for it, but is pwned by his utter brain waves attacking her central nervous system nrrrghcollapse* orz

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Splash;15575 said:
Yep, Tohma. *steals his PhD's and language skills and makes a run for it, but is pwned by his utter brain waves attacking her central nervous system nrrrghcollapse* orz
Oh yeah...he has language skills too. Koushirou doesn't, as far as I know. He had trouble when in Hong Kong with both English and Chinese.:p

Chomper

The Friendly Sharptooth
Same Intellignce, Different Times to Master it

I feel that if Izzy and Thomas were the same age, they would be pretty close IQ wise. I think Thomas is smarter ONLY because he has had several years more study time than Izzy. Izzy is a small child while Thomas is an older teen. But it is clear that both Thomas and Izzy are way smart for their age. It is like having a little brother or sister. You aren't smarter because he/she is unintelligent, but because you have been learning much longer. So here is my vote: for their ages, Thomas and Izzy are equal in brainpower.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Chomper;15597 said:
I feel that if Izzy and Thomas were the same age, they would be pretty close IQ wise. I think Thomas is smarter ONLY because he has had several years more study time than Izzy. Izzy is a small child while Thomas is an older teen. But it is clear that both Thomas and Izzy are way smart for their age. It is like having a little brother or sister. You aren't smarter because he/she is unintelligent, but because you have been learning much longer. So here is my vote: for their ages, Thomas and Izzy are equal in brainpower.
I don't see how you came to that conclusion. In Adventure 02, Koushirou was 13. Touma is 14 in Savers and have accomplished way more than Koushirou ever had. His mind is always working though, and he does theorize when a situation presents itself, but that's about it.

We must face it, Koushirou was average. Koushirou was only knowledgeable whenever it came to things that interested him or would benefit him, hence his becoming a Digital World researcher as an adult (he always had an interest in it, and furthered his knowledge of it). He's computer smart, logical, and analytical (and this can be due to the fact that he was adopted, and had a complex about it). Other than that, Koushirou's never been shown as being particularly smart, nor was it ever mentioned.

Jou showed more traits, imo, of being "smart" compared to Koushirou, yet people seem to ignore him. Jou was smart all around when it came to school work (math and science, particularly) and, usually, had high marks; Touma is smart all around, which includes electronics; Koushirou's intelligence is limited, imo, to computers and personal interests. We can make the assumption, though, that he's very good with stuff like math and statistics based on his occupation.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Touma had the family money to support his extensive education, while Koushirou didn't. If Koushirou had that extra money, I think he could have been more on the level of Touma in terms of generalized knowledge.

However, since he doesn't, he had to focus on what he could learn - which would be where his computer skillz came from. They could afford to get him a laptop, but not a PhD. :D

I'd say they're about equal~