Harry Potter #7 Discussion

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Scipio;5875 said:
The Hallows did seem kinda random... like it was a way to make Dumbledore look non-perfect. I don't see any real reason except for that... Why did she insist on killing Dumbledore's "Perfect Person" deal?

I always knew Dumbledore had a sadistic side to him...he knew everything and hardly did anything...maybe she wanted to prove that he was not all 'good' as people thought him to be?

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
Airdra;5859 said:
I didn't get a chance to read mine 'till 1:00 PM (stupid furniture delivery guys had to come today D: ), finished at 6 PM.

Wtf, almost 800 pages in 5 hours? :confused: Freak. Unless you're one of those speed-reader people, who can actual scan a page in just a few seconds...

I thought it was pleasing throughout, though I really disliked that both Lupin and Tonks had to die. =/ Fred was kind of a shock, too, seeing as how George had lost an ear.

Airdra

V-Pet Geek
digiboy123;6229 said:
Wtf, almost 800 pages in 5 hours? :confused: Freak. Unless you're one of those speed-reader people, who can actual scan a page in just a few seconds...
No, I'm not one of those speed-reader people, I'm just a freak. ;) Reading fast is like my superpower or something. XD

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I read about as fast as Airdra. But I don't speed-read. You've been gone from IRC so no wonder you didn't see my spouting off page numbers on Monday. @_@ Scar was going wtf and telling me to "Shhh" @_@;

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
Scipio said:
Snape totally deserved to die. I hated him ever since I read the third book (that's the first book I read)

Why? Sure, I hated him with all my will when I read HP6, but in the end, it shows he really was a good guy.

/me is still upset that Fred died. :-(

Wanderer_D

Digi-lurker
Reading fast is like my superpower or something. XD

Amen to that! It took me roughly around the same time as you.

I will say, before I rant, that while mildly entertaining it was as much of a disappointment as most of the series.

The way I see it, HP Fanficers in general will go: "OMG I WAS RIGHT!" instead of "YE GODS THAT WAS MY IDEA THREE YEARS BEFORE BOOK 5!"

I mean, when you guys were reading it, didn't it pop out how certain scenes were written in a completely different style than her own? Didn't some of you who had read HP fanfics go: "Hey... wait a minute, where else have I read this exact same description of Ron in jeans?"

I also have a problem with the deaths. I agree that in a war death is inevitable unless you are in the G.I. Joe 80's cartoon, but there is no significance to a lot of deaths.

I mean... Dobby? Good riddance. That guy made Jar Jar Binks look like f***ing Shaft.

But, Lupin AND Tonks? Fred? We didn't even see Lupin die. There was absolutely no point to his death. It didn't change or evolve Harry in the least.

I am glad some people also noticed the Snape = love thing. I mean, up until he saw that Snape had been working for Dumbledore ALL the time in the memories, he should have HATED his guts. What reason did he have for even looking at them?

And how in the name of Gandalf did he even know that the Hufflepuff cup was the Horcrux?

I also laugh at Rowling's pretentiousness when she commented about Charles Dickens and compared herself to him... "Try 17 Charles..." correct me if I am wrong but, isn't Rowling's HP from 1997? And wasn't she pestered to write it? And, regardless of her success... since when would ANYONE compare HER to Charles Dickens? They are not even in the same league.

Personally, I am glad this whole deal is over.

Skeith

Haha, the "leaked" version I read was completely different from the actual version. I read both, it feels like I read two alternate endings. Some parts were surprisingly similar though.

Similarities:
1. Harry visits his parent's home, not a monument but the whole street is magically sealed off from Muggles.
2. Bill's wedding at the Burrow, invasion and all.
3. Scrimgeour dies.
4. Voldemort takes over ministry.
5. Tonks and Lupin die.
6. Harry is a horcrux.
7. Hufflepuff crown is a horcrux.
8. Harry meets the deceased relatives and Dumbledore.
8. The epilogue, wtf?

Differences:
1. Snape is a bad guy.
2. Wormtail tells Harry that he's a horcrux at his parent's home, afterwards, he gets captured with help from Lupin.
3. Dolores Umbridge is made acting-Minister after Scrimgeour.
4. Mad-eye doesn't die.
5. Lupin has to go into hiding after Ministry decides to lock up werewolves.
6. Voldemort does a huge coup that is an active part of the story, killing Dolores and many others.
7. Lupin and Tonks die together defending Harry from Voldemort.
8. Ginny accompanies Harry, Ron, and Hermione on the hunt for the Horcrux.
9. HQ of the Order moved to Hogwarts.
10. Final battle between Harry and Voldemort at the Ministry, there IS a battle at Hogwarts where the DA come back to help.
11. Harry kills Voldemort with Avada Kedavra, making his own Horcrux holding the piece of Voldemort in him, uses love to hold his own soul together.
12. Harry meets deceased through the magic un-openable door in the Ministry.
13. Snape goes to Azkaban, Ron reports to him all of Harry's successes, Snape is infuriated.
14. There is no Deathly Hallows.

I thought the fake version was slightly better.

One other note, Rowling said during an interview that she had wanted to kill Hagrid as well, but people kept telling her not to, so she didn't. Lucky Hagrid.

Honza_N

Skeith;6680 said:
Differences:
5. Lupin has to go into hiding after Ministry decides to lock up werewolves.
This is in original too.
Skeith;6680 said:
One other note, Rowling said during an interview that she had wanted to kill Hagrid as well, but people kept telling her not to, so she didn't. Lucky Hagrid.
At this, I remember one interwiev with czech translator for Potter books, Pavel Medek. He said he were affraid about Hagrid's life since book 5. And I must admit I expect Hagrid died too. Glad he didn't though.

RamenRanger

Red Ramen Ranger
the ending for me was to open for me to enjoy, im mean what the heck happen durning those 19 years. kinda made me mad.

Yukihiro

Yellow Snow Merchant~
MORE SPOILERS >:E

The ending was horrible in my opinion. I got the 'Children's Verson' T_T The epilogue explained a lot as Ron and Hermione married each other, thought I'm not surprised. Harry marries Ginny, not surprised at that either. The only part I was surprised at is that Harry was a Horcrux. But then I accidentally counted Gryffindor's sword, so yeah.

I actually hope that there are spin-offs of the series. I enjoyed reading the books. I still can't believe that Ron would walk out on Hermione and Harry back at the forest with the Horcrux.

One other complaint: In my opinion, I think she rushed some parts of the story. I mean, like one sixth of the book is dedicated to finding Slytherin's Locket, and Hufflepuff's Cup was rushed a little too. Ravenclaw's Tiara was caught up in the Room of Requirment, and I thought that was odd too. So many people have been hiding stuff in the 'OGM I NID TO HIED MY STUFFS' version of the room, why didn't anyone notice the Tiara? The Tiara was on the bust in plain sight for quite a while. Well, maybe it;s because everyone that wanted to hide something was worried or something...

Besides that, I have a couple more disagreements, but I won't type them in here, for my post will be too long. I was satisfied with the book, but I expected better.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Yukihiro;13246 said:
I actually hope that there are spin-offs of the series. I enjoyed reading the books. I still can't believe that Ron would walk out on Hermione and Harry back at the forest with the Horcrux.
But the Horcrux obviously had a stronger hold on him, and affected him more than it did Hermione and Harry. IMO, if Ron hadn't have been under the influence of it, he probably would've never left. The fact that Ron said that time he got away from them and the locket, he wanted to return to them, but couldn't, because of the Snatchers and their moving. This, to me, shows, that at the time, he wasn't thinking straight because of how strong a hold that horcrux had on him (he even had to fight to destroy the locket). Ron's character is much too loyal to voluntarily abandon his friends during a dangerous time.

Aside from that, it worked out perfectly. Ron got over his insecurities, and he helped to bring in news from the Wizarding World, and logically, he was the only one of the trio who could get away with that. Harry and Hermione don't have a true connection that world aside from Ron, Hogwarts, and the Order. Ron also knows the wizarding world better than Harry and Hermione, and I doubt neither of them would've been able to find Bill.

Yukihiro

Yellow Snow Merchant~
Thanks for clearing that up. It's nice to see such a fast reply. Still, I agree that Ron's friendship and trust was strong enough to make him come back, but he still might have left due to the insecurities of living with no contact in the outside world, and he hasn't had a decent meal either, but I don't think he;ll leave for that.

I just hoped that even while under the influence of the Horcrux, Ron would come to his senses and know that Harry doesn't 'love' Hermione and all that other stuff.

I'm gonna contradict myself again. Dumbledore gave Ron the Deluminator so Ron could go back, right? Well, there's not much of an explanation for the 'wierd glowing ball of light' that went inside Ron. Again, I don't get it :confused: Dumbledore must've known he would walk out on them and want to come back.

Dumbledore's guesses are so accurate and he is so well prepared that it's almost frightening.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
you know i aint read this again since it came out - did i feel let down i wonder?

Yukihiro

Yellow Snow Merchant~