Goggles

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Try imagining Masaru with goggles. He would look completely idiotic. If you ask me, goggles don't even suit the Savers art style. I should add that I found that art style to be a huge step up from the previous one, so I can do without the goggles.

And I have to give props to Takato for being the only one to -use- his goggles on a regular basis. Daisuke used them what, once? Did Taichi ever use them at all?

I think that Digimon is still Digimon without the goggles. Without the digimon partners, that's another story. That's why I stopped watching season 4 after a few episodes. It just wasn't the same.

Ultimate_Wizardmon

Ultimate level
LunamonZero;28966 said:
I mean, I cant name any other show or anime wear the character wears goggles, so it’s the perfect way for a character to stand out and be original.

Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicle says hello...

But I guess you're right, goggles has been related to the series for so long now that they've become sort of a symbol...

Kind of like those forehead protectors that everyone's started wearing after Naruto got famous...

Also, I agree with Gaomon, the Savers art style is a definite step up ^_^

LunamonZero

Lunamon Tamer
Ultimate_Wizardmon;28974 said:
Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicle says hello...

But I guess you're right, goggles has been related to the series for so long now that they've become sort of a symbol...

Kind of like those forehead protectors that everyone's started wearing after Naruto got famous...

Well you got me there lols :p

but anyway exactly, the goggles in digimon are like the forehead protectors; there something that people think are cool and can easily wear and imitate raising popularity. Take Takato for example, he wore the goggles because there easy to imitate from the fiction and he loved them, had it been something harder to imitate he might not have done it.

Gaomon;28970 said:
Try imagining Masaru with goggles. He would look completely idiotic. If you ask me, goggles don't even suit the Savers art style.

well i cant really agree with that, i think Taichi or any of the other characters with goggles would have looked fine if they had been done in Savers style, though i do agree about the part with Masaru, he would look like a moron so i think its more about character design than style

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Gaomon;28970 said:
And I have to give props to Takato for being the only one to -use- his goggles on a regular basis. Daisuke used them what, once? Did Taichi ever use them at all?

Takuya used them an awful lot in Frontier.

I think that Digimon is still Digimon without the goggles. Without the digimon partners, that's another story. That's why I stopped watching season 4 after a few episodes. It just wasn't the same.

Digimon Frontier had a more feel of Digimon than Savers ever did (Sorry to say, but that's how I feel.) Digimon is not just about the Digimon partners. As my friend stated, Frontier was one of the best, because as she stated it, interacting with other kids who are not like them and becoming friends has a greater impact than interacting with digital monsters who are just like you in many ways, not to mention, they hardly talk to other kids. (i.e. Matt and Mimi...)

Digimon is about the journey, the interaction, the character development, the growth, watching how the kids grow and journeying with them from when they were afraid and thinking it was just a game, to being mature, knowing that everything is at stake and realizing their full potentional and getting through it... together.

Savers...Masaru didnt grow much, he didnt change much, he still wanted to be "the number one fighter with Agumon" ...and that to me, is not very good character development. Yoshino was totally ignored during the last half as of Ikuto. Touma had his development slightly, but it came much too late to have any impact in my heart. Even the director himself stated the show was all about Masaru... which in my eyes, is not what Digimon is all about...

Masaru, it's all about What The Goggles See...for "We're called the Chosen Children, but it is us who do the choosing." ^^

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
LunamonZero;28992 said:
well i cant really agree with that, i think Taichi or any of the other characters with goggles would have looked fine if they had been done in Savers style, though i do agree about the part with Masaru, he would look like a moron so i think its more about character design than style

...I REALLY don't want to see the old characters done in Savers style. I really don't. Especially not Takato. It pains me to think about it.

I will never, EVER forgive Masaru for not wearing Goggles. It's one of the reasons Savers's isn't as good as the other seasons in my book (And it's not the ONLY reason mind you). Yes, Masaru would have looked like a total doof wearing goggles lik Tai and the others. But he doesn't have to *wear* them. He can pull a Syaoran and wear his goggles aroung his neck. I think he would actually look pretty wouldn't be quite like the other leaders, but still, at least he would have goggles.

Goggles are a staple of Digimon at this point, and Masaru had to go and ruin that. Of course, he wasn't what you would call a real leader anyway. I hope that next season (There WILL be a next season Dx) that the goggles return, weather we have Savers style, traditional style, Shojo (Female Gogglehead for the win!) or whatever else they throw at us.

Frozen Twins

It's not that the goggles represent, but what kind of character were's them. The goggles have come to represent certain style of charastics. Now that I think about it, the style of goggles also has an effect. The square goggles have a certain style of character that goes with them, (Takuya and Davis) and the other goggles have a certain style that goes with them. (Tai, both of them, Takato, Tsugari)

It's not the goggles that make the character, but the character that makes the goggles.

Ultimate_Wizardmon

Ultimate level
Now that I think about it, you do have a point... Masaru would look pretty cool with goggles, if he wore them like Syaoran...

Anyhow, for the next season I don't really care about the goggles either way, as long as Wizardmon is in it ^_^

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Kazemon15;29038 said:
Digimon Frontier had a more feel of Digimon than Savers ever did (Sorry to say, but that's how I feel.)
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Digimon, at its core, is a monster tamer genre anime. I'm sure just as many people flipped out in Season 4 as with seasons 3 and 5. Which brings me to the point of the post:

Season 3 freaked people out due to completely different storyline. (People said: What? No Taichi?)
Season 4 freaked people out due to lack of digimon partners. (People said: What? No Parter Digimon?)
Season 5 freaked people out due to goggle-less-ness. (People said: What? No Goggleboy?)

Meaning, trust me. When Season 6 comes out, there will be something new for people to gripe at. Heck, season 2 pissed me off. Seriously, cutting your forces in half to advance a single stage of evolution? My mind screams: HUGE TACTICAL FAILURE.

There will always be something new to whine about, this is true with all new seasons of the show. Everyone compares with the original. Even I am guilty about it.

So can we talk less about a lack of goggles, and more about what the meaning behind the goggleboy is?

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Role;29083 said:
There will always be something new to whine about, this is true with all new seasons of the show. Everyone compares with the original. Even I am guilty about it.

So can we talk less about a lack of goggles, and more about what the meaning behind the goggleboy is?

That's true, people are always comparing it instead of experiecing something new and afraid to find out they might actually like it.

Well, it would be weird to have the original Digidestined for 5 seasons, not to mention, boring...like Pokemon, the same main character for 500 eps is enough even for my nerves. (Gomen, Pokemon fans! DX) But they had a way of doing it by giving him new Pokemon.... lol I cant imagine the Digidestined getting new Digimon besides the ones who we know and love....

Well, the meaning behind each goggle boy....I think Tai really defined the meaning of what a goggleboy/leader is.... determined, insperational, a good friend, couragous, hot headed (well, minus Takato XD) but overall, a true leader...and one who thinks of others despite himself and allows them to do what they think is nessicary. Also one who admits his own mistakes and failures in order to grow. (Being a huge Takuya fan, I think Takuya is the one who has alot of these qualities, Davis and Takato do too, but Davis was a little more like himself all the way through and Takato is the same way too.)

Frozen Twins

Tai may have started it, but I think Tsurgi is sort of the Epitimy. He's got the ignorance of a gogglehead down pat, and he's very much fight full strength without backing down, but he also has some different things. Unlike a lot of the goggleheads before, the level at which his pride is, is not so high that it's just one big mistake after another because of it. He still has it, and he still makes mistakes, but he's not this overly prideful prick we all start to hate. He's a mixture between Tai and Takato almost...