Goggles

Frozen Twins

Goggles

Alright, I know I'm going to get yelled at again because of my firm ideas on this, but... Momentai.

Alright, the discussion of goggles. A unique trait in which all the leaders from practically every digimon thing besides Savers have experienced. In the orginal V-Tamer, Tai's goggles were given to him as a gift. For season 1, I don't remember them ever telling us were they came from, but going by the movie he had them from when he was four. If not younger. Then we have Davis, who Tai gave his goggles to after they broke, (thus implying that Davis was required to stand on Tai's shoulders instead of his own two feet.)

Tamers is one of the few one's explained, besides V-Tamer, because Takato got the idea from Tai. Takuya's goggles threw a twist into things because he had square ones. Then In Digimon world three, the Tamer there has goggles, (not sure on one and two, somebody varify them for me).

So, at Savers, we see this break off from the goggles... and Bandai throws a curve ball at us. Digimon World and Dusk/Dawn. Here we have the main hero's wereing the unmistakeable trademark goggles.

Betamon X: Bah... that game gives girls goggles. Girls are not worthy of the goggles.

Gomamon: Betamon... keep your trap shut before you require us to lay low for awhile again.

So here comes the question, if Bandai breaking off of the goggles as proven in Savers... Why are the two DS games have the character with Goggles, and if a Sixth Season comes along, then would the lead character have goggles?

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Goggles are the standard of leadership for the franchise. Savers simply decided to go another way because it was the start of something new, and Masaru's personality didn't exactly fit someone who'd wear that kind of accessory. I'd think a sixth season would then continue the trend.

I mean, you could say the same thing about Savers being the only part of the franchise which features almost all primary characters having already surpassed puberty.

Frozen Twins

You have a point, and a the game characters seem to be younger. So it ends up being a question of age whether or not somebody gets goggles?

Tixer

Keep in mind though that the character personalities in Savers are completely different than the norm. Usually, the characters lead oldest to youngest (with some variations), which has been a recurring theme in the series. In Savers, however, the characters lead youngest to oldest, which is part of the reason the previous trends don't work.

PrimoPiccolo

Savers in general did things differently. Three partner Digimon hitting the Ultimate level in one episode, all primary partner Digimon getting the Ultimate level power-up, costume changes halfway through the series (unless you count 02's summer or winter gear), the real world and the digital world playing equal roles, etc.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
And don´t forget them working for the Government. ( BTW: The Leader is usually not the oldest. He is more about average age in the group. Which would around 14 if we take only the Main 4 in Savers )
Savers tries to appeal to both, older Fans by having a lot references to the past Series and the Franchise, and newer Fans by going a new Direction.
And knowing Masaru, he would break his Goggles anyways, if he has some.

*Tylomon jumps out of the water and eats Betamon X*
Good Girl !

In DW2, the Hero was also wearing goggles, as did a certain Girl ( forgot her name, has been a while since I played it ). Probably goes with driving around a DigiBeetle.

V-Tamer Taichi got them as a sign of courage from his Grandfather.
Adventure Taichi is based on V-Tamer Taichi. No reason for him to wear them is give.
Daisuke sees Taichi as some sort of Role Model. Therefore he wears them.
Takato is influenced by Fiction. ( Not neccesary Adventure, but keep in mind that Digimon is still Franchise in Tamers in the Original version )
No reason for Takuya given.
Tsurugi thinks they look cool. And Digimon NEXT came out around the same time as Savers.

As for the Goggles in the Future, it depends on if Bandai and Toei want something like Savers, or go into more traditional Character designs.

Frozen Twins

I've been reading Digimon Next, and it seems to follow a lot more of the styles of the older digimon shows, it's appealing to more old fans, as while Savers is maybe trying to get New ones. Maybe that's the break off. Next, or the Goggles, are trying to keep the old fans interested, while Savers, without the trademark goggles is trying to keep things fresh and new and up to date,

Betamon X: BAH! No one can eat my When I warp Digivolve to GIGASEADRAMON!

Gomamon: you just had to make him do that.

GigaSeadramon: Heh, heh, heh.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Frozen Twins;28273 said:
Takuya's goggles threw a twist into things because he had square ones.

Actually, if you think about it, if Davis' goggles never broke, he would be wearing square ones too, wouldnt he? I also noticed that the Digivices (minus Savers, since that broke alot of traditions) is also a tread. Odd seasons have round-like Digivices.... even seasons have more square types.

And yes, if there is a sixth season, goggles is what makes the leader the leader and one of the things which I admire them. ^^

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Kazemon15;28642 said:
And yes, if there is a sixth season, goggles is what makes the leader the leader and one of the things which I admire them. ^^

TNH even if there is going to be a season 6 (fingers crossed), I doubt they will bring back the goggles. I think it'll be a Savers 02 and masaru would probably just break them off anybody's head because of how stupid he'd think they look.

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Johnzaloog;28712 said:
TNH even if there is going to be a season 6 (fingers crossed), I doubt they will bring back the goggles. I think it'll be a Savers 02 and masaru would probably just break them off anybody's head because of how stupid he'd think they look.

DX It's not Digimon if the main character isnt wearing goggles....it's one of the reasons why Savers really didnt feel like Digimon at all to me. I didnt fall head over heels in love at first sight with it.... <_<

PrimoPiccolo

^ Blasphemy.

Eh, I don't know. Probably one of the reasons I loved it so much was because of how different it seemed. Still about Digimon, but a lot more sophisticated.

Goggles were kid stuff. Like Frozen Twins said, if you wanted a more typical experience you read NEXT, if you wanted something fresher you watched Savers. Now that they've got somewhat of a more mature fanbase hooked, I could easily see them returning to more typical form should they ever make another anime.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
It's not Digimon if it does not have a Leader with Goggles?
I don't know, but that somehow sounds silly to me. You know that's like one of those arguments the German Digimon Fans usually bring up when they diss everything that is not Adventure/02. Ofcourse they usually say that it is not "real Digimon" when it doesn't has Taichi and Company.

Savers tries to apply to both, the old Fans by being full of references ( you know, it's not lazyness Agumon was brought back ), but also the new Fans.

From Yamaguchi's Notes:
Four, it seems to be a request from the sponsor, Bandai;
the goal is to grab older Digimon fans through the reappearance of a Digimon from the old series.

Next on the other hand is more traditional in Design, but unfortunately also mainly a marketing Vehicle for Digimon V-Pets. You can tell that by the fact that Yuu and Tsurugi both have 3 different V-Pets. And Yuu's IC breaks in hi second fight.

*Tylomon evolves to AncientMermaimon, who spits out parts of GigaSeadramon's armor*

Ultimate_Wizardmon

Ultimate level
The way I see it, Goggles just isn't Masaru's style... And as lots of people have already pointed out, he would most likely break them during his first fight anyhow.

Savers somehow felt more like one of those old, classic anime series than a new incarnation of Digimon, but don't misunderstand me, that is a good thing too, I really liked the series (Then again, I liked Tamers too...)

Goggles isn't everything, it is actually a very small part of the Digimon continuity, but they should at least have added another reference to Masaru not wearing them...

I only have one gripe with Savers... Where is Wizardmon? Even Dorumon got a (Very oscure, very minor) appearance (As Alphamon, in the intro)

Nemomon

<b>Gaming Freak</b><br>Chip Library Evo
Buuuu, You stole my brother <CRY> Wizarmon <CRY> <CRY>. He iis in all series except for Tamers and Savers.

Ultimate_Wizardmon

Ultimate level
Well, Wizar(d)mon *is* my favorite digimon...

Anyhow, even though he did not have a prominent role in the story (Stolen by that thwerp Sorcerymon...) he did at least get to show off all his moves in Frontier, aside from Terror Illusion...

Frozen Twins

We can all pretty much agree on that Savers felt different. Part of it was the style of the drawing (everbodys like 12 feet TALL!), part of it was the lack of goggles (Which I must say I'm surprised they didn't include anything about them, then again, Savers seemed a bit rushed like they were trying to fit too much stuff into it... and the storyline they tried to merge as one idea, but it seemed like it continued to hop around... and the worst part is the made everybody but Yoshino God-moddy).

Goggles are a more representation of the old style of digimon, as well as Leomon dying. There has yet to be a good series were Leomon doesn't die (Or almost dies as in V-Tamer). Bandai really has one of two obvious choices for Digimon to go with the goggles thing. They can continue Savers, (BUT WITH THE CHARACTERS AND NOT SOME CRAP PULLED LIKE SECOND SEASON!) in which Masuru would not were goggles, or they will start up another season that reverts back to an older style. (Please be Tsuragi as main character!) They could also do another Savers style... which is a possibility, but I'm not so sure.

So... what exactly are the goggles. They've represented the leader (Then why wasn't T.K wearing them) and all wearers of them have seen to gone through a maturity beyond anybody else in there season, (Exception Tai, who still isn't as Mature as Joe). THe Goggles also tell people about the recklessness of the character, and that it will get them into trouble, but they'll learn (unlike Masaru). Tai was the first Gogglehead... Davis wasn't all that great, because the time he finally matured, they cut his screen time for that kind of thing tremendously. Takato was easily the best leader, not taking it completly on himself, but dividing up among Henry and Rika to take care of things. Takuya was sort of an average Gogglehead, not really showing great qualities anywhere or at anytime more so then anybody else, and Masuru wasn't a gogglehead. Then we have Tsurgi.

Tsurgi is the epitimy of the Goggleheads, he's the supreme Gogglehead, Bandai's ultimate. I'm sorry... he's just that cool.

GigaSeadramon: ... ... ... ... Wow... really chewed hard on that fin there... Now it's my turn.

LunamonZero

Lunamon Tamer
*Takes as sip of tea as I watch the to idiots Gigaseadramon and AncientMermaimon fight*

If you think about it there is a good chance that the goggles have no real meaning to them at all, for all we know we are just trying to find something meaningful in something meaningless. I say this because in my opinion the only reason they have goggles is to just stand out. Think about it one of the first things you think when you think about digimon is “goggles.” It seem to me that they might just have them wearing them as a way for the characters design to stand out and seem more interesting as opposed to having a meaning of Leadership to it. I mean, I cant name any other show or anime wear the character wears goggles, so it’s the perfect way for a character to stand out and be original. (This could also explain why Masuru never had them, I mean the first thing I thought when I saw him was “What? No goggles? I got to check this out” having no goggles could have been a way of getting people attention)

Though there is a good chance that there really is a meaning to them and I am wrong. But in that instance I suggest that we don’t look in the show for a answer but outside of it for one.