Game VS Anime

Dengar

Game VS Anime

I'm making this thread to discuss why people would like the game over the anime, or vice versa.

Personally, I prefer the game, storywise. The game puts a lot more emphasis on personalities and emotions. It explains that FM-ians are drawn towards humans who emit 'loneliness' waves. They exploit weaknesses in their hearts to control them. Such as Luna's suffering from being treated like a doll by her parents, or Bud's (Gonta's) fear of becoming alone again if Luna rejects him.

In contrast, the anime just seems to randomly toss FM-ians at characters who are rather shallow at best, if not outright one-dimensional, simply because "they have compatible wavelengths".

On a related note, BrotherBands are completely missing from the anime, whereas in the game, BrotherBands are what the entire story is about. Relationships are the essence of society. People become stronger when they have someone they want to protect, and all that mumbo jumbo.

The most obvious example is MegaMan (or Rockman, call him anything you wish, it doesn't matter to me because both names are correct) himself, and his Star Force. In the anime, Geo (Subaru) randomly gets into a tight situation and randomly gets saved by the Satellite Admins, and then they randomly give him some cards that allow him to access his Star Force.

In the games, it's completely different. The Satellite Admins have been meaning to contact Geo right from the beginning, but were unable to do so until Geo formed his first BrotherBand, and even after he passed their test and had the Star Force installed, he wasn't able to use it until after exhibiting a strong desire to protect Luna and his classmates.

My conclusion, is that the anime has robbed the original story of all its emotion and turned it into a generic hero VS random monster brawl.

Knightman

1 of the Crest of Duo
ok the order of umm things go like this manga/anime/game but for Rockman it goes game/anime/manga i don't know why and anime or game the storyline for both are kinda not the same and so for the manga but i like anime if you ask me.

X_Blade

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Dengar;12929 said:
I'm making this thread to discuss why people would like the game over the anime, or vice versa.

Personally, I prever the game, storywise. The game puts a lot more emphasis on personalities and emotions. It explains that FM-ians are drawn towards humans who emit 'loneliness' waves. They exploit weaknesses in their hearts to control them. Such as Luna's suffering from being treated like a doll by her parents, or Bud's (Gonta's) fear of becoming alone again if Luna rejects him.

In contrast, the anime just seems to randomly toss FM-ians at characters who are rather shallow at best, if not outright one-dimensional, simply because "they have compatible wavelengths".

On a related note, BrotherBands are completely missing from the anime, whereas in the game, BrotherBands are what the entire story is about. Relationships are the essence of society. People become stronger when they have someone they want to protect, and all that mumbo jumbo.

The most obvious example is MegaMan (or Rockman, call him anything you wish, it doesn't matter to me because both names are correct) himself, and his Star Force. In the anime, Geo (Subaru) randomly gets into a tight situation and randomly gets saved by the Satellite Admins, and then they randomly give him some cards that allow him to access his Star Force.

In the games, it's completely different. The Satellite Admins have been meaning to contact Geo right from the beginning, but were unable to do so until Geo formed his first BrotherBand, and even after he passed their test and had the Star Force installed, he wasn't able to use it until after exhibiting a strong desire to protect Luna and his classmates.

My conclusion, is that the anime has robbed the original story of all its emotion and turned it into a generic hero VS random monster brawl.

Actually, the anime didn't eliminate the importance of one type of relationship - friendship. They were more focused on the developing relationship between War-Rock (Omega-Xis) and Subaru (Geo).

While you're right in saying that the FM-ians preyed on people with 'loneliness waves' in the game, the concept was not entirely lost on the anime. Theoretically, if Ox (Taurus) was looking around to see if anyone had the same 'wavelength' as him again, that must mean that the 'wavelengths' can be simulated. Similarities in the characters can be sited when they used Luna's urge to see Rockman (Megaman) for Orphicus' transformation. They also showed Wolf Forest's (Wolf Woods') uncontrollable tendencies in the anime, as well, though it wasn't about non-stop fighting.

The Satellite Admins didn't really save Subaru (Geo) randomly but they were trying to save him after Cygnus Wing had him pinned down. Also, don't forget that Subaru was really angry at War-Rock for his part in his father's disappearance. Given that, I wouldn't say that the Satellite Admins' decision to bring Subaru up to space and explain how they believed that War-Rock should be trusted (again) to be a random decision.

The Star Force was also not randomly given to Subaru - the Admins had explained that they used up the last of their power to save him. If they were going to help him conquer the amazing odds that he and War-Rock would face, I'd say he'd need the Star Force to give him some kind of edge until he gets better (if he does).

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with some points of your argument (I like the game because both Misora (Sonia) and Luna go after Rockman more than in the anime) but, to be fair, the creators of the show probably didn't want to be grilled alive for just copying the game onto the anime. Also, another outlook into the Ryuusei no Rockman world gives diversity (who would want to watch the same thing again with a different name?). I also enjoyed the significance of Brother Bands in the game but they probably couldn't include that in the anime because of the budget (this is my speculation).

I prefer the anime, overall, due to the fact that Subaru does not brood about not trusting people as much in the show and that you get to see the animation (the movement definition, not the drawings) of all characters.

Feel free to scrutinize but don't flame me without reason.
We're all Rockman fans here (I hope).

FlameStream

Spoilers galore~
Anyway. Hmm... I share a different opinion about the game and anime's perspectives though.

I find the characters, especially the antagonists a bit too one-dimensional in the game, villains are and remain "evil". Never would I have liked any of the FM seijins if it wasn't for the anime since it allows to shift perspectives from times to times, whereas you only see Subaru's perspective 90% of the game time. That episode 52 made me realize how I was attached to them.

Many of your complaints are that the anime's story doesn't follow the logical order of the game. That is expected, since you don't to be spoiled of the game's story when watching the anime. It aired before the game got released, after all. Also, I don't think many people would enjoy the show if it happened exactly as presented in the game.

That's why the ideal solution is to create an altered story, incorporating many key elements of the RnR universe without revealing too much about how it's presented in the game. (Star Break, Batte cards, etc). It's much more enjoyable to watch something you're not fully expecting beforehand about how it'll develop. (ie: Were you eager to know how Subaru got his Star Break Powers when you followed the series? What if the show flowed like the game. Do you think you'd be as eager to see how he gets his Star break card?)

I'm not saying that the anime is "better" than the game. I simply like it better since I played the game a long time ago and it's in the past now, and because I love how their personality are developed/presented in it.

All that to say that the anime and the game are two different things and should not be judged comparatively.

GSR

That one guy
The BrotherBand concept isn't totally dropped in the anime - it seems to be popping up a bit in the later episodes (though I can't understand a damn word they're saying. :p) But as stated above, the anime focuses more on the relationship between Subaru and War-Rock than the other characters - at least in terms of relationships (the other characters still get some info, but aren't as closely connected to Subaru.) The later episodes are mostly filler, but they use that filler to build up characters - usually the various FM seijin/aliens/beings/whatever you want to call them. The anime also expanded some of the bit characters - Cancer, for example, goes from a throwaway in the game to a relatively important character later on in the anime.

In the end I guess it all comes down to preference - would you rather see the game, focusing on Subaru's relations with his friends and his friends' personalities/backstories, or would you rather see the anime, which focuses more on Subaru's relation with War-Rock and the FMians' personalities/backstories? It's a matter of preference. Maybe in Tribe they'll switch and focus more on his friends, in the way Ryuusei 2 is said to be focusing more on War-Rock than Subaru.

Let me note though I don't really have a preference one way or the other.

Dengar

X_Blade;12961 said:
Feel free to scrutinize but don't flame me without reason.
We're all Rockman fans here (I hope).

The reason I even made this topic was for a free discussion to display different viewpoints.

Although I do think people missed my point about the Star Force, or my complaints about the anime in general.

It's not that I dislike the fact that the story is different. It's the elements I'm not too fond of.

To get back to my point on the Star Force. What I was trying to say was not that I didn't like the way he got it, but the way it works. In the anime, it's just a random powerup received at a random moment. In the games, the Star Force is powered by Geo's desire to protect his friends. And it's true that the anime focuses a little more on Mega and Geo, but that doesn't make me like it more. Don't get me wrong, I like the anime, but on an emotional level, it's just inferior to the game to me.

Especially Luna, and the way she became Queen Ophiuca in the anime was extremely disappointing when you compare it to the game.

Hyruler

Greatful Leecher/Seeder>
I have to say I wasn't expecting the Star Force to be battle cards in the anime because in the game, it was a hidden power inside of Mega Man. (I like hidden powers ^^ )
The game does give you more of the other character development while the show gives you more of Geo's side of the story and you get to see how Mr. Cooper really feels towards Mega Man. I'd say by the looks of things, they wanted you to see the show and get the game to MORE fully understand the characters. As for Star Force and the Brother Band.... Star Force had to be cards in the anime due to the timing of the admins showing up, and the Brother Band was Made just for the game so that they can "connect" the versions by some cool means. I like both equaly except for 1 thing... I love the startup song in Japanese. ><
"Heart Wave" FTW.

Dengar

That's not true. While the BrotherBand is also a gameplay element, it is not only a story element, but it's THE central story element. It's kind of odd for it to be completely absent from the anime.

Personally, I did expect the Star Force to be Battle Cards. In the past EXE anime, all the transformations, with the exception of style changes and crosses, have been battle chips.

Emi-hime

<span style="color: deeppink;"><strong>#1 Subaru ♥
As I said in my post about Luna being my favorite character, she's also why I prefer the game.

The fact that her obsession with Megaman is on such a top notch in the anime while it's a bit less...crazy in the game is one thing, but the whole Ophiuca transformation in the anime is what really got me frustrated.

In the game, it was a big character growth for her in which it showed how her family is and her reasons to act this way and whatnot, while in the anime she's just an insane fangirl and it kind of makes her seem like a dumb obsessive blonde :/ Which isn't really her at all.

Between that and the whole fact that she is made to be all shallow and caring about her status when it was more like she felt she needed to get Geo to school just threw me over the edge. The only reason I really watch the anime now is I enjoy hearing the voices and seeing them move more, but they killed a lot of the personalities and character development IMO which really upset me.

Not to mention Luna's line about asking if Sonia/Misora was Geo/Subaru's girlfriend in the game was switched to "Harp Note's" line asking Megaman after Luna turned back. I find it interesting too that in the anime, a lot of a romantic interation is with Sonia and Geo while in the game, more of it is geared towards Luna and Geo. (For example, when Luna gives Geo the strength to be a hero when she tells him she believes in him and that he'll save her.).

I know I may seem somewhat biased, but I have other people who have expressed similar feelings without having really to known the characters. Just from reading the dialogue (Someone on youtube uploaded all the dialogue between the characters and whatnot) and watching some of the episodes.

There's nothing I truly dislike more than big changes like this. Yeah, I guess I can live with them changing the order around (Just barely), but having a lot of the character progress and the story being changed so much...it really depresses me. I've never been so upset with an anime from a game in a long time :/ This is one of the few things I've had issues with and I can't even blame it on the "dub" because it's the actual anime that ruined it.

Edit: I noticed many people have said they wouldn't want to see the same thing over and they don't think many people would, well, I'd just like to say I'm one of those people who would. When I watch an anime that is based off the same story (As it is based on the same plot more or less), I expect it to be like the game and/or manga as what it does for me is brings everything to life. Able to see their movement and hear their voices and sometimes, even more views on things which helps you understand the story more. THAT is what I enjoyed. I don't mind fillers much, where they can use their own creativity or heck, even a new story altogether with the characters, as long as they stay true to who they are.

So for me, yes, I would've loved to see the whole DS story over, just to see it all done out. I don't like re-playing games, as much as I love a story, just because I don't want to go through all the challenges again.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
I think both succeed in different ways. The game makes the Star Force and its appearance much easier to understand, but the anime makes just about every character more likable, especially Subaru himself. He's a moody jerk almost in the game (he even disses Amachi at the start), yet he's just a confused loner in the anime, so you're rooting for him to make friends.

I like how both stories are different, so one doesn't completely spoil the other for the fans.

Emi-hime

XD I kind of liked him moody. I didn't think he was that bad and I'd probably have been that way too at times~ Think about it, if he's that upset to not go to school for a few years, how perky could he be? >_>

GSR

That one guy
who192;18179 said:
al im going to say is the brotherband is really important during the really late ryuusei episodes

...Uh, I dunno if you think you've got some kind of exclusive info, but we just released RnR50-54. That's downright common knowledge by now.

Dengar

Post will contain possible game spoilers, but I can't imagine anyone remotely interested in the game not having played it by now.

After having seen the ending, I admit it could have been worse, but I'm mildly disappointed by the direction they took things in.

Major things that bothered me were:

-Rockman ended up failing to destroy Andromeda himself.
-The Cepheus character is COMPLETELY different from the game.
-The Tsukasa plotline and his development was a LOT better in the game. Although that much can be said about the plotlines concerning anyone who got involved with an FM-ian somewhere along the line. But especially in Tsukasa's case. The whole split personality thing was entirely omitted, not to mention they pulled off the whole cheap "lol can't remember anything since I was taken over" thing in the anime.
-The role of Subaru's dad in all this was just irksome for some reason I can't describe at the moment.

Trivial

Hum...i prefer the game.

Since i think, the storyline that could be considered as the standard storyline is from the game's storyline.

I haven't watch Ryuusei much. While i dig the game's story and this storyline is the most "linking to each other"
Anime's story contains some more addition, but i think also depletes or reduce some things that are important on what the main cause of a case is

AoBfrost

Mii-Chan's #1 fan!
In my own opinion, I prefer the anime's characters, they seem more livley, such as the detective, in the game, he plays a small role only in 1-2 parts of the game, but in the anime, he is nearly in all episodes and is one of the major, but minor characters. I do prefer how Luna finds out subaru is rockman in game, but overall, I'd pick the anime over the game any day.

Edit: another thing I thought of was when war-rock left subaru ingame, he says "well I didnt join to be a super hero with some sad kid" or something like that, then he leaves, and subaru makes a big deal out of it, in the anime, they leave because subaru thinks war-rock killed his father...thats a much better way of showing how they left each other and split up.

GSR

That one guy
Warning: The following post has Tribe and RnR2 spoilers. Forewarned, y'alls. >_>

So I've been thinking about this more, and I really can't shake the feeling that the anime is shafting everyone who isn't directly involved with a Denpa seijin in some way. This feeling only solidified after playing the first third or so of RnR2 and watching RnRT1-8. Let me use the OOParts (wtf capitalization) to show my point.

In the game, the OOPart (I'll use the Sword of Berserk for simplicity) is, in essence, malevolent. As soon as War-Rock swallows it, he starts behaving oddly and gets ill. Subaru, meanwhile, starts having bizarre dreams involving the spirit of Berserk, where he ends up clutching his head in pain from Berserk's influence. Eventually, Hyde kidnaps Luna and takes over the TK Tower (a large entertainment venue), filling it with 'soldiers', if you will. Though the first few are fought normally, the last group is dispatched by War-Rock alone - who suddenly fires a huge burst of energy. Luna is transformed into Ophichus (fuck that spelling) by Hyde and Rockman fights/defeats her, returning her to normal - only for more soldiers to show up. Rock and Subaru finally snap and Tribe-On, effectively dispatching all the soldiers. But the problem is that Berserk jumps at the opportunity and takes over Rockman, despite Subaru and Rock's efforts to resist. It seems like it's all over.

And then Luna steps in.

Luna reminds Subaru of his times of being a hero, of saving people like her. He fought Andromeda, after all, what's he doing letting some stupid sword take over? She uses their BrotherBand and Subaru and Rock are able to take the sword under their control. And thus Berserk's spirit is mollified - through Subaru, War-Rock, and Luna's combined efforts.

Now let's look at how it happens in the anime.

In the anime, the sword is acquired in much the same way as the game, when War-Rock accidentally swallows it. Now, in the anime, the sword seems mostly inanimate - powerful, yes, but not actually malevolent. It has no 'voice', so to speak. True, there's the whole "oshit War-Rock's got weird readings" thing, but it doesn't really affect him that much for the moment. In ep 4, Bly shows up, and all but destroys Rockman, Harp Note, and Cancer. And then, when he's about to kill War-Rock, War-Rock calls on the sword, and pulls them out of the fire. Subaru is for all intents and purposes taken over during this period, and is basically a fighting machine until War-Rock snaps him out of it. He uses it once more against Yeti Blizzard (this time in control) before episodes 7 and 8 show up.

In episode 7, Subaru starts to realize things are getting a bit out of control when he tries to use his Rock Buster against a basic virus - and instead Tribes-On. Whoops. Though the sword starts to effect War-Rock more, Subaru still doesn't seem to see it as much of a cause for worry. In fact, the duo run off to Egypt to head off Hyde and try and find another OOPart. When they do confront Hyde in the pyramid, Berserk takes over again - if only in body (Subaru's perfectly aware during the fight, if memory serves) and the duo eventually stop it by undoing the Denpa-Henkan (albeit not until they've crashed out of the side of the pyramid.) So Subaru's fine, but War-Rock's left bearing the brunt of Berserk's force, and starts to blur on the Wave Scanner. A call to Amachi confirms the sword's acting up bigtime. War-Rock decides it's too dangerous for Subaru to use the sword from then on, and the duo prepare (presumably) to head home. Except that's about when Bly shows up. Awhoops. Bly does what he does best, kicks ass and takes names, and in the end Subaru is knocked out, leaving War-Rock to fend for himself. And here comes the important part.

Subaru's off in la-la land when he wakes up in generic dreamscape No. 3. The sword isn't some spiritual warrior - it's just a big freaking sword. He can see above the sword that Bly's about to murder War-Rock. The sword doesn't say anything, just offers a smaller sword to him. And Subaru pulls it out, fully in control from then on.

Now, take a second to think that over.

The sword essentially went from a malicious spirit who Subaru needed support from both War-Rock and Luna to defeat to... well, just a really strong sword. During this whole thing, you'll notice, nobody really comes into play except Subaru and War-Rock. Subaru doesn't seem to really care about the sword until the pyramid - and then when Rock's on the verge of getting a sword to the face by Bly, Subaru suddenly finds the strength to take over the sword. (Complete, may I add, with plenty of screams of "WAR-ROCK!!!!!!desu") That's right, they just pulled out the subplot of the sword's spirit and Luna's brotherband with Subaru and essentially made it - well, a bit of a plot device. It's in essence an excuse to drive home the point that "oh subaru and rock are really close, they have tremendous strength through each other etc etc etc" but in doing so it completely shafts Luna and the rest.

And that is what bugs me about the anime so much. It only cares about people who are directly involved with the FM/AM/UMAs. Even Goyouda has taken a back seat, and Luna, Kizamaro, and Gonta serve as not much more than comic relief or an excuse for Subaru to go somewhere. Even Misora seems to have been relegated to 'COMIC RELIEF WITH CANCER BUBBLE AND ALSO OCCASIONALLY HELPING IN A FIGHT SO I CAN GET SAVED BY ROCKMAN HURRAH.'

Oh, and since this is a much bigger and unrelated spoiler but I have to say it, don't highlight this if you haven't played RnR2.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with Misora's "betrayal" in the anime.

Emi-hime

Is it bad I highlighted your post even though I haven't played the game? >> This seriously has made me so excited for the game, you have no idea XD

YAYFORLUNAHAVINGABIGPARTAGAIN!YES! Though, I am curious about the Misora part too... Mostly to see if it'll make me more excited or not >>

GSR

That one guy
Now that it's the next morning, I can safely say, wtf me. I really typed that all up? Shit, I really shouldn't go on forums when it's late and I have nothing else to think about. '>_>

Emi-hime

XD It's interesting how people seem to write the most when they're tired and not thinking of much :p