Disney to Produce Animation in Japan

Kazemon15

AMV Freak
Disney to Produce Animation in Japan

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/s...duce-animation-in-japan/n20080306015809990019
TOKYO (AP) - Entertainment giant Walt Disney Co. will team up with several Japanese companies to produce animated features in Japan, a leading market for such films, a Disney official said Thursday.

Disney will work with Toei Animation Co., Madhouse Co. and Jinni's Animation Studios, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to talk to the media.

The Nikkei, Japan's leading business daily, reported the move was aimed at bolstering Disney's efforts to gain wider acceptance of its animated programming in Asia. The company official declined to provide details.

With Madhouse, Disney will produce a TV program "Stitch!," an offspring of the Lilo & Stitch series, to be aired in Japan, the official said. With Jinni, Disney will make a short animation film "Fireball," she said.

The official could not provide further details on programming, referring queries to a public relations official who was not immediately available.

The Nikkei said the partnerships would allow Disney to tap local talent and computer graphics technology to produce programs targeting audiences in Japan and elsewhere in Asia.

These programs will be broadcast via satellite and terrestrial channels, but Disney will also look into delivering content to mobile phones, the report said.

Disney has its own animation and movie channels in more than 100 countries, including Japan, where it launched Disney Channel in 2003. The company also started offering a cellular phone service here this month.

The Nikkei said Toei Animation will tap Disney's distribution network to expand its overseas reach.

Disney, based in Burbank, Calif., will continue to look for partners, but it doesn't have plans for any acquisitions or capital tie-ups for now, the Nikkei said.

For Disney, a longtime producer of hit shows in the U.S., this will mark the first time that it has gone offshore with the core production processes for major programs, the report said.

The studio has tried to penetrate the global animation market by exporting programs, but has concluded that production should be localized from scratch so that its shows will be widely accepted in different countries and cultures, according to the Nikkei.

Good or bad? ...Toei Animation...the one that makes Digimon....possibly....they could make a season 6? And an anime Lilo and Stitch doesnt sound that bad considering they're already doing an anime of Batman. :eek:

celestial_sacred

If it's Digimon they'd like to expand, I'm going with a "no". Wait. It's "NOOOOOO!!!!!". I like how they kept it Japanese till now.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Everyone's trying to milk the anime market. So now after a decade of aggressively buying up anime titles, now the companies are working on producing the content before it ever gets translated.

Disney won't get anywhere with that Fireball thing, all the genius left at that company is in Pixar.

And Digimon shall never be touched. Mostly because Disney could care less about it.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Halfway American Made Digimon? Let's hope they don't even think of that!
The whole concept of the ( thankfully never made ) American Made Digimon Force 3 did not sound good at all.

I don't care what else they do, but don't touch Digimon! Thinking od Disney and Monsters., don't they have Spectrobes ?

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
I remember hearing about that Sticth anime a while ago, like *years*. Looks like theyu are finally doing something with it. But Madhouse? That will be interesting. I have no idea what Fireball is supposed to be. Gee, i wonder who will licence these shows? (Yes, that last bit was sarcasm)

I like how everyone is complaining about American Digi when that isn't even what the thread is about >_>

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
I think this is great. The anime market is failing and this might just be the thing to throw some more money into it.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Scipio;34027 said:
I think this is great. The anime market is failing and this might just be the thing to throw some more money into it.

I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...?

Anywho, I see nothing wrong with this. Making a Lilo and Stich anime is harmless, and having these shows made in japan is better than pseudo-american anime. Plus, this makes my dream of having an anime-stlye Disney kid's show (Of MY making >3 ) more of a reality ^___^

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Hagaren Gao;34033 said:
I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...?
Not at all.

Disney is a huge animation studio, and if they're teaming up with other huge animation studies, only good things can come in my mind.

...until we start seeing things like Christopher Robin's mom having boobs that take up half the screen. Then it's gone too far.

But otherwise, I see only good things from this. =D

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
If we talk about Ryuusei no Rockman only having 21 Episodes, it might be the case.

Scipio;34059 said:
...until we start seeing things like Christopher Robin's mom having boobs that take up half the screen. Then it's gone too far.

LOL!

Imagine Gargoyles!
Xanatos: I always thought you were Reptilian in Nature.
Demona:What do you mean?
Xanatos: Eh, nothing.
Demona: Why the heck is everyone staring at me like that?

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Scipio;34059 said:

Oh man, that made my head hurt e_e

A Gargoyles anime would be pretty interesting And if they could keep it as lighthearted as the original, I'd love to see a Darkwing Duck anime <3

Then while we're at it, that makes a KH anime slightly more possible.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
PrimoPiccolo;34068 said:
...It is?
In general, yes. DVD sales are down worldwide, foreign licenses aren't coming as quickly as they used to, production costs are rising...

Read on one of the ANN articles recently that users should start to see the results of the failing market as early as 2009, with the number of shows on the air decreasing.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Do you also think about the TV ratings decreasing ?
But the Question is: Will Disney be a gift or a curse?