Digimon 5 squared

Timewitch

16. The harbor city
My alarm clock rang at seven o’clock in the morning. Because of my anxiety though, I had woken up long before. I ran to shut it off before it would wake up everyone. ‘That was close’ I thought.
I got out of the house and take my digivice out of my watch. ‘The signal of Rika’s digivice comes from the south. It’s probably somewhere southerner than the island where I had found Kari’ I thought. I opened the bubble, then I armor digivolved and then I set off.
I had a sinking feeling for what I was going to do, but I ignored it.
After a while I saw the atmosphere-changing vault lowering where the island I had found Kari on used to be. I continued flying towards the south until I saw dry land. I brought myself nearer to it and picked out a harbor. I looked at my digivice’s screen. “I’m getting closer and closer to the signal of Rika’s digivice” I thought. I flew above the harbor’s edge that was leftward and then I landed. ‘Seeking time’ I thought. I started following the signal, but it kept switching its position.

It was afternoon. I was so tired that I de-digivolved, even though I knew how dangerous it was. I sat on a seat in order to get some rest and eat some digital dust. After that, I stood up and looked at my digivice. I started to run as if I was being chased. ‘The digivice’s signal… it’s extremely close!’ I thought.
Following the signal, I turned off in an alley. “Rika!” I shouted. It was Rika indeed… but she looked way different. Her hair weren’t tied up in a ponytail, but they were resting loose on her shoulders. She was wearing a grey dress and a white apron.
She ran against me and hugged me, surprising me; Rika hadn’t made a practice of behaving ebulliently.
“I don’t remember who you are, but you remind me of something” said Rika. “You’re my friend, aren’t you?” she asked.
“I think so” I said trying to hide my astonishment. “Listen, we have to leave this place. Where’s Renamon?”
“Who’s Renamon?” Rika said.
I hit my forehead with my palm. “You don’t remember even that!” I sighed. “Anyways… let’s go and I’ll see later how I’ll help you recover”
“Recover from what?” Rika asked. “And, by the way, I can’t leave unless my master gives me permission. Why don’t you come so that you help me convince him?” she asked pulling my hand. We got out of the alley and started to run.
I freed my hand. “Wait, it might be dangerous for me…” I tried to say when Rika interrupted me.
“There he is!” she pointed towards a direction and started to run towards that way.
‘Oh my God… the person Rika calls master… it’s Digimon Emperor!’ I thought and started to run as fast as possible towards the opposite direction.
“Master, a friend of mine has come and she said that we must leave, so I came to take your permission” Rika tried to tell Digimon Emperor.
“We’ll talk about that later” Digimon Emperor interrupted her hastily and turned to some Bakemons that were accompanying him. “Chase her!” he shouted pointing at me.
“I don’t understand” Rika whispered.
“You’ll understand later” said Digimon Emperor.
In order to confuse the Bakemons, I ran on one of the boats parked at the harbor and then I started to jump from boat to boat. After a while I returned to the road, but I took a false step and fell on the ground. Digimon Emperor and the Bakemons were in a distance of about ten feet from me.
The Emperor revealed the Dark Wand and aimed at me. The bubble became visible for a single moment and then it turned into light, which disappeared in my watch. After that, he aimed at my wand, which had been hanging on my belt. It disappeared exactly like the bubble. “Now there’s nothing you should fear of” he told the Bakemons.
“Don’t be so sure” I said beating up a Bakemon who tried to attack me.
“Attack together!” Digimon Emperor ordered the Bakemons.
I struggled and fought, but to no avail. Without my wand and without being digivolved it was impossible to defeat so many opponents on my own.
“Chain her there” Digimon Emperor told the Bakemons pointing at a column.
The Bakemons tied my hands in handcuffs and ran some chains around my knees and my ankles.
“Bring my dagger” Digimon Emperor told Rika.
“But, master…” Rika tried to say.
“No buts” said Digimon Emperor. “Bring my dagger!”
Rika started to run towards the western side of the harbor.
“What did you do to her?” I asked.
“The same thing I had done to Tailmon” said Digimon Emperor. “Let’s just say that… I reversed her personality”
“But… you agreed that you wouldn’t harm any of my friends until I would find them!” I said.
“I wouldn’t call that ‘harming’. She’s way more likeable now” said Digimon Emperor. He took off his gloves, giving them to a Bakemon so that the Bakemon would keep them for him. Then, he moved towards me. “At last, I’m gonna take my revenge. I have been waiting for this moment for years” he said smiling.
“Don’t dare lay your filthy fingers on me” I said aggressively.
“Or else what?” Digimon Emperor said laying the index finger of his right hand under my chin. Suddenly, I felt strangely tired as if I was losing energy. “Hit me or something? Well, it doesn’t seem very possible” he said looking at my eyes.
‘His eyes… they look like stormy seas… that want to swallow me and drown me’ I thought. I smiled bitterly. ‘He might kill me… but I’m not gonna let him enjoy it’ I decided. “Oh, Spore” I said softly, “you know I don’t need to hit you in order to make you hurt”.
Digimon Emperor took a step back. “Are you menacing me?” he said.
I started to laugh and turned at the Bakemons. “Look how brave your master is” I taunted. “He’s afraid of me, even though I’m alone, weaponless and immobilized”
Digimon Emperor slapped me. “Shut up!” he shouted.
“You slapped me because you couldn’t think the right words to answer, right?” I said smiling tauntingly.
He clenched his hand around my neck. “We’ll see how much you’ll quip when I get my hands on my dagger” said Digimon Emperor.
I tilted my head. “You keep forgetting something, Spore. I’m a Digimon. If I die, I’ll be reborn at the Primary Village. You’re neither human nor Digimon, although you mostly resemble humans. And when humans die, they die!” I said. “If I die and come back in order to kill you, I doubt that you’ll ever be reborn”
“In order to kill me, you have to encounter my soldiers first” said Digimon Emperor.
“Exactly. You keep hiding behind your soldiers. You’re nothing more than a weak spirit imprisoned in an equally weak body. Any of those Digimon” I pointed at the Bakemons with my chin “could destroy you without any difficulty. At the moment, you probably are the weakest creature in DigiWorld. And if you wonder why I treat you like that, the answer is quite simple. Firstly, because you deserve it. Secondly… because I can!” I said.
These words were followed by a tense silence. Suddenly, we heard footfalls and Rika’s voice broke the silence. “Master, I brought the dagger!” she said.
“Give it to me” Digimon Emperor said grabbing it. He turned to me. “Goodbye, Pridemon” he said lifting the dagger.
“Wait” I said. “I wanna ask you something. Since I have found Rika, the DigiDestined will be able to enter your areas from now on, right?”
“No. That would be possible if you had found her Digital Partner as well. Unfortunately, you’ve found only her… what a pity” Digimon Emperor said tauntingly. He lifted my chin with his left hand and prepared himself to plunge the dagger into my neck.
I closed my eyes waiting for the end.
“Stop!” we heard a voice.

Timewitch

17. Pretense
“Who dares interrupting the moment of my revenge?” Digimon Emperor asked angrily.
“I” said the voice. Suddenly, the owner of the voice revealed himself. It was…
“Devimon!?” Digimon Emperor whispered in surprise. The dagger slipped from his hands onto the ground.
Devimon went behind the column. Then, he made a sharp move, shattering my chains into pieces.
“What the heck are you doing?” Digimon Emperor asked him”.
Devimon ignored him and turned at me. “Pridemon, would you like to ally with us now?” he asked me.
I gave him an examining glance. “If that would save my life… then why not?” I said smiling.
Digimon Emperor was extremely wrathy. “I can’t believe it! I was waiting for so long to take my revenge… and now you’re proposing alliance to her!” he yelled at Devimon.
“Do not yell at me” Devimon said menacingly. Then, his expression became gentler. “It would be a pity if I had let you kill Pridemon. She might be very useful to us, you know”.
Digimon Emperor looked at him frowning for a few seconds. “I hope so” he finally hissed between his teeth.
“Oh, master, I’m so happy that you won’t kill her!” Rika said hugging him.
He pushed her away harshly. “Leave me alone!” he said angrily.
‘It wouldn’t be my fault if I beat him up, would it?’ I thought holding myself with difficulty.
Devimon leant his hand on my shoulder. “Well, let’s go so that I can guide you to our base” he told me.
“What the… Are you gonna you guide her?” Digimon Emperor said; he was even angrier than before.
“Yes. Have you got any problem with that?” Devimon asked him. His voice was calm, but there was a dangerous gleam in his eyes.
“Ehm… no, it’s OK” muttered Digimon Emperor.
We walked up to the western edge of the harbor, the sea at the right.
Where there was the end of the city, the ground was rising, forming a hill at the left. In front of us, approximately 33 feet above the ground, there was an enormous apse that looked natural, not artificial; its left side was merging with the hill, whereas the right side ended into something that looked like a natural wall, which enfolded cylindrically the place in front of us.
We walked under the apse and arrived at the shore of a small lake. There wasn’t any sand or dirt; there were only stones. The lake was surrounded by the natural wall that started from the right impost of the apse. At our left there was the hill; its uppermost point hardly topped the apse and the natural wall. On the hill’s rise there was a big, oblong wooden house. The lake was connected with the house by a voluminous metallic flight of stairs, because, at the lake’s side, the hill looked as if it was a scarp. Opposite the stairs’ footing, on the wall, at a point that was partly covered by the lake’s waters there was a small gap like a door and… there was something covering it. It looked glace like glass, but extremely light, as if it was made of light (no pun intended). Yet, it was opaque and it was changing colors irising. At the right impost of the apse there was a wooden shanty and near to it, into the lake, there was a boat.
Devimon knocked on the shanty’s door. The door opened and a Digimon appeared. It was wearing a black hooded cape. A piece of cloth was covering its mouth, revealing only its eyes. It looked humanoid, but it was smaller than me or Digimon Emperor.
“Hello, master. What would you like me to do?” the Digimon asked and bowed. Judging from the voice I heard, I concluded that it was male. For some reason, his voice seemed faintly familiar to me.
“I would like you to take us across the lake” Devimon said pointing at the stairs with his chin. “The boat can take all of us, right?”
“Them too?” the boatman, or, more correctly, the boatmon, asked in surprise pointing at the Bakemons.
“No, those ones will go to their jobs” Devimon said looking threateningly at the Bakemons, making them fly quickly towards the city.
“It’s OK now. It can take the four of you” said the boatmon.
Devimon boarded first. Then, Rika sat opposite him. I sat next to her and Digimon Emperor sat opposite me, looking daggers at me.
I didn’t manage to hold a taunting smile. One of the reasons I had accepted Devimon’s offer was that I wanted to peeve Digimon Emperor. ‘He must have gone amuck’ I thought. ‘He just was on the point of taking his revenge…’ Forcing myself not to laugh wasn’t easy at all.
The boatmon entered the boat and then we set off.
“Our base is right there for the present” Devimon said pointing at the wooden house on the hill’s rise. “What do you think of the surroundings? Impressive, aren’t they?”
“Indeed” I said. “By the way… what exactly is that?” I asked pointing at the gap covered by the iridescent veil.
“Oh, that’s the exit we use when we wanna go to the sea immediately” said Devimon.
“And what about that thing covering it?” I asked.
“It is an energy curtain. We have put it there so that no one passes through it unless we allow them to” said Devimon.
“I see” I said and looked at the lake’s water. It was extremely limpid, but without any sign of algae or fish or anything related. ‘As if it has no sign of life’ I thought shuddering. ‘It also looks icy cold’. I decided to stop looking at the water. I prevented myself from looking at Digimon Emperor knowing that I would run the risk of bursting into taunting laugher. I took a look at Devimon, who looked wrapped up in his thoughts. They must have been quite pleasant, judging from the restrained smile on his lips. I turned to look at Rika. She was staring at the water with a calm but sad expression in her eyes.
‘Spore’s behavior must have upset her” I assumed. ‘I have to make her recover as quickly as possible’ I thought. Then I looked at the boatmon. Because of his strange, black cape I could see only his big, green eyes. They seemed familiar, but I didn’t know why. Next to him rested a long cane, which had on its point something that looked like a fake, stuffed sun. Then I understood. ‘The boatmon might be Wizardmon, Tailmon’s friend!’ I thought. The same moment though, I understood that that possibility was very minor. ‘There are many Wizardmons in DigiWorld. There are few possibilities that this one is Tailmon’s old friend, especially since that Wizardmon had died in the real world. If though it’s a random Wizardmon… then why is it wearing this hood?’ I wondered.
‘Because I am who you thought’ said a voice within my head.
‘Who are you?’ I thought.
‘I’m Wizardmon, Tailmon’s friend. At the moment I’m talking to you through telepathy’ the voice answered. The boatmon’s sight met mine collusively for one single moment.
‘That’s… wonderful! Tailmon will be so happy! But how did you get reborn? I used to think that the Digimon who died in the real world can’t be reborn’ I told Wizardmon through telepathy.
‘Me too” Wizardmon’s voice replied in a slightly sarcastic tone. ‘Digimon Emperor though made some changes to the Primary Village… you know, so that Myotismon’s minions would be reborn. Along with them, I was reborn. But you… what on earth are you doing with our enemies? I don’t think you actually allied with them!’
‘Of course not, what do you think I am? I’m pretending that I allied with them. In this way, I might find out some of their secrets. I also hope to find Rika’s Digimon, Renamon. She might help me to bring her real personality to the surface’ I answered.
‘Is this the only reason you decided to act this way?’ Wizardmon asked.
‘Ehm… no. Digimon Emperor was about to kill me, but Devimon appeared and proposed alliance to me. In return, I wouldn’t lose my life. You can imagine Spore’s reaction’ I said cheerfully.
‘Spore’s?’ Wizardmon asked in confuse.
‘That’s how I usually call Digimon Emperor. You know, because he’s a Dark Spore’
‘I sea’ said Wizardmon. ‘We’ll arrive to the stairs any moment now. It was nice to talk to you’
‘Me too’ I said and we stopped the telepathic conversation.
“We have arrived!” Wizardmon said loudly. He left us on the stairs and then he started to sail back to his shanty.
We climbed the stairs. They were many, but none of us was actually tired.
Devimon opened the house’s door and then we entered the house. The hall was a corridor with many doors. “There’s Rika’s room” he said pointing at a door. “She’ll share her room with you”
“YAY!” Rika said happily.
“OK” I said. ‘If I manage to talk to her when Devimon or Digimon Emperor aren’t there… then I might manage to bring her to her senses’ I thought. Then I realized something. ‘Ehm… where’s Myotismon?” I asked.
“He’s in the pinewood. I think though that he’s planning to come here today or tomorrow” said Devimon.
“Is it necessary to tell her everything?” Digimon Emperor asked angrily.
“I know what I’m doing” Devimon said calmly. He turned at me again. “There’s the prison” he pointed “and there’s the kitchen.” he pointed again. “If you need anything, ask Rika” he told me.
“Fine. By the way… could I use my digivice and the White Rink items now? I’m so used to them that I need them most of the time” I said.
“It’s OK” Devimon nodded. “Kid, take care of that” he told Digimon Emperor.
“As you wish” Digimon Emperor said revealing the Dark Wand. He pointed at me with it and a ray of light winded me. “Now you can use them” he said without looking at my eyes.
“Work done. Would you like to get some rest?” Devimon asked me.
“Yes. It was a tiring day” I said following Rika to her room. She covered the floor with a quilt and then she lied on it.
“Since you are my guest, you may take the bed” she said.
I knew it would be useless to refuse, so I agreed silently. I waited for a good deal of time until I made sure everyone had fallen asleep. After that, I got up as noiselessly as possible and moved towards the prison. ‘I have to find Renamon’ I thought. ‘It’s very likely that she’s here”
I walked looking around me, hoping I would manage to find her.
“Flaire!” Renamon whispered.
I took the wand out of my watch. I pointed at the lock with it and it was broken into pieces. “Let’s go to Rika” I whispered. Renamon nodded and followed me as I returned to Rika’s room.
I nudged her softly to wake her up. “Rika, wake up!” I told her.
“What happened?” she muttered. Suddenly, she saw Renamon. “You look so familiar…” she murmured looking at her.
“I’m your Digital Partner” said Renamon. “Don’t you remember me?”
“No” Rika whispered.
“You’ll remember her soon” I hissed resolutely and pointed at her with my wand.
Rika blinked. “Renamon? Flaire? What are we doing here? Why am I wearing these clothes? Where’s my digivice?”
I explained (kinda hastily) what had happened. “I know that you wanna take revenge from Digimon Emperor now, but it would be better if you let me do it for you. You must return to your world”.
“Are you sure?” Rika asked.
“Yeah, I’m sure” I said.
Renamon was staring at a drawer. “Hey, Rika, take a look at this drawer” she said.
Rika opened it. “My clothes… and my digivice!” she whispered happily. She took them and went to the bathroom in order to shift. After a few minutes she was back. “Let’s get out of here” she said.
We got out of the room. It was extremely dark, but we managed to find the door. I put my hand on the turn of the door and suddenly, the lights were turned on.
“Where are you going?” Digimon Emperor asked.
“Just a little night walk” I said with insolence. “Why are you asking?”
“I think you’re trying to escape. I heard everything” he said half-closing his eyes. “I knew you didn’t really allied with us”.
I smiled triumphantly. “Indeed. As you see, I have found Renamon as well. From now on, all the DigiDestined and their partners will be able to enter your areas freely. Right?” I said.
“Yes. What a pity that you won’t be alive to see it” said Digimon Emperor.
I gave him a punch on the stomach, throwing him on the floor. “I think I’ll be, Spore” I said opening the door. I got out as fast as possible, along with Rika and Renamon.
We started running, descending the hill’s slope.
“Flaire, don’t look behind, but we’re being followed by a bunch of Airdramons” said Renamon.
I bit my lips. “They’re flying too fastly. We can’t escape. Stop running” I said grabbing my digivice.
“What are you doing?” Rika asked.
“Sending you to your world” I said while my digivice winded them with light. A moment later they had disappeared. The same moment, something hit my back. I was surrounded by some black smoke and then I sparked out.

END OF PART 2

Digimon 5 squared

Its actually Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01. And yes, its a nice read. o/

<- current avatar is Mari from the manga itself