Digidestined

datsagent17

Digidestined

Hey guys this has been bugging me for awhile now. You know how the original digidestined were chosen because they saw greymon and parrotmon fight when they were kids right? Well how did the other kids from seasons 2 and 3 get chosen?

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I believe that in ZT, the other chosen children were... well chosen because they witnessed more of the fights. Like, the fight in Our War Game or the whole hold up in the last arc of Vamdemon in Adventure. Then after that, everyone just started to show their potential to be chosen children, shown in how everyone around the world had digimon partners.

Tamers is.. different because they're... tamers. @_@; I don't recall any particular reason why except their closeness to the Digimon game. After they get close to a digimon, they became a tamer?

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
ZT was witnesses, Miyako saw the Diaboromon fight, Daisuke was captured by Vamdemon, Iori was on the plane that Birdramon/Garudamon had to save.

Tamers - Takato's "want" of Guilmon, Jen saved his Terriermon, Ruki was sort of picked by Renamon, Juri saved Leomon so to speak, Hirokazu n Kenta wanted to be tamers, Hirokazu saving Andromon/Guardromon, Kenta it just kinda happened, Ai/Makoto with Impmon wanted to take care of him, Shuricon, she loved Terriermon n ended up with Lopmon.

Gaomon

Yes, Master!
Yeah, Tamers didn't seem so much about "destiny". The tamers kids wanted their digimon and they went for it. In a sense, the digimon still sorta fell into their laps, but only after the tamers had made their desire to be with their digimon abundantly clear. Their digivices seemed to react more to their emotions than just a "this kid is destined so here I go" kinda thing.

Vande, your avatar is awesome.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Just to help you out, datsagent, since you don't seem to keep up with the original Japanese episodes: Miyako = Yolei, Daisuke = Davis, Iori = Cody, Vamdemon = Myotismon.

datsagent17

PrimoPiccolo;36238 said:
Just to help you out, datsagent, since you don't seem to keep up with the original Japanese episodes: Miyako = Yolei, Daisuke = Davis, Iori = Cody, Vamdemon = Myotismon.

thank you that was seriously confusing me. You're right I don't keep up w/the original Japenese episodes.

Danny2299

Another question! lol, who were the digi-destines that that little old man was talking about in season 1, when tai and the gang were going to fight with the ugly looking monster that said " Why do you get the pizza, when I get the crust" Lol!?..

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Danny2299;41923 said:
Another question! lol, who were the digi-destines that that little old man was talking about in season 1, when tai and the gang were going to fight with the ugly looking monster that said " Why do you get the pizza, when I get the crust" Lol!?..
That has to be one of the stupidest dub lines ever. Sorry, but Apocalymon is supposed to be the villain! He's not supposed to be making lame jokes and acting like a spoiled, Emo brat! >_> Thank goodness Apocalymon actually came across as threatening and unstable in the original...

Anyway, it was never mentioned who the children were that Gennai spoke of. He was talking about the original Chosen Children. He didn't give any information outside of that. The shadowed over figures while he was telling the story seemed to resemble Yamato, Sora, Taichi, Takeru, and Koushirou [I think it was these five] and their Digimon partners, but I always figured that the scene was supposed to have been from Taichi's point of view.

PrimoPiccolo

I still like the idea that the five were the Legendary Warriors from Frontier. Continuity! :)

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
"Hey Izumi ! We got you a Piyomon!"

Definately not. Different continuity. And Frontier didn't look like it was set before 1999.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
SSJ Jup81;41946 said:
That has to be one of the stupidest dub lines ever. Sorry, but Apocalymon is supposed to be the villain! He's not supposed to be making lame jokes and acting like a spoiled, Emo brat! >_> Thank goodness Apocalymon actually came across as threatening and unstable in the original...

Anyway, it was never mentioned who the children were that Gennai spoke of. He was talking about the original Chosen Children. He didn't give any information outside of that. The shadowed over figures while he was telling the story seemed to resemble Yamato, Sora, Taichi, Takeru, and Koushirou [I think it was these five] and their Digimon partners, but I always figured that the scene was supposed to have been from Taichi's point of view.

I've always had the theory that Yamato's father was one of the originals. He somehow knew about Gabumon, after all. Also, at the end of 02, that... one guy, who was possessed by Vamdemon... it seemed to hint that he was one of the originals as well...

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Ever thought that Yamato could have told his father about Gabumon? He however seemed to be rather surprised when he saw Garurumon.
So I don't think he was one of the Chosen.

Oikawa also wanted to go to the DW, but he was never there.

PrimoPiccolo

Role said:
one guy, who was possessed by Vamdemon... it seemed to hint that he was one of the originals as well...
His name was Oikawa, he knew Iori's dad when they were kids. But he never went to the Digital World, his whole story made that clear. He created Arukenimon and Mummymon so he could feel like he was there, but it didn't help. And when he was about to die, he decided to use what remained of his energy to instead safeguard the Digital World from any more evil influence.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
MugenSeiRyuu;50152 said:
Ever thought that Yamato could have told his father about Gabumon? He however seemed to be rather surprised when he saw Garurumon.
So I don't think he was one of the Chosen.

Oikawa also wanted to go to the DW, but he was never there.

No, Yamato seemed shocked when his dad correctly identified Gabumon. Pretty sure he didn't tell his dad. But I never could figure out HOW he knew who Gabumon was.

As for Oikawa... how the hell did he know what the digital world was? And WHY did he want to go there? There's too many questions that aren't answered. I mean, the digimon in the end seemed to know him, and instead of saying 'nice to finally meet you', it was more like 'good to see you again'. Either he doesn't remember being there, or he knew someone who went there or something. There had to be a reason he WANTED to go. I mean, I can understand him knowing OF it because of Vamdemon, but for what reason, after such an attack, would he WANT to go there so desperately that he'd allow himself to be possessed? Either he knew someone who'd been there, or he'd already been there.

There's too many questions unanswered, and that leads to speculation like this...

PrimoPiccolo

Role said:
As for Oikawa... how the hell did he know what the digital world was?
Just wondering, did you watch 02? His origin was explained after the Demon arc.

Hiroki (Iori's dad) and Oikawa were schoolmates, and one day they were playing video games at Hiroki's house when Digimon came up on the screen. They thought it was just a bug, but the Digimon started calling them by name and stuff. They became hooked, and when Hiroki's dad (Iori's grandpa, the guy who taught him Kendo) got fed up with his son spending all his time in front of the TV, he banned him from the set and he couldn't hang out with Oikawa anymore. Oikawa wasn't exactly Mr. Popular, so he became severely isolated without him.

Decades later, when Hiroki died, Oikawa took it extremely hard, but was amazed when he saw the Digital World in the sky following Vamdemon's defeat. Of course, the eight DigiDestined went back to deal with the Dark Masters, and Oikawa wanted desperately to go with them. Vamdemon's ghost then promised Oikawa he'd help him get there if he helped Vamdemon, and Oikawa allowed Vamdemon to possess his body.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Either that ep was cut from the dub (haven't seen that far in the sub), or I missed it. Thanks for cluing me into that. It answers a lot of questions I had.

But not the one about Yamato's dad. Did the dub cut something out? Or is it not explained in the original? It's been bugging me, and the only explanation, since he correctly identified Gabumon, thus throwing Yamato aback, and there was no mention (at least as far as I've seen) about HOW he knew what Gabumon was, as well as its name, I've pretty much been thinking that perhaps he was the Yamato-like shadow.

PrimoPiccolo

Role said:
Either that ep was cut from the dub (haven't seen that far in the sub), or I missed it.
Definitely aired in the dub, that's all I've seen of Digimon seasons 1-4. Pretty sure the majority of it was explained in episode 47 "BlackWarGreymon's Destiny".

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Yeah, must have missed it. That, and it's been... what, five, six years?

But then what about Yamato's dad?

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
As far as I know, the whole Yamato/Matt's dad thing was never clarified in dub or subbed version. I do agree that it seemed more like Matt was surprised about his dad knowing about Gabumon, and to be honest, I'd like to think he was one of the originals (The Frontier would have been cool, but as stated earlier, it didnt look pre-1999), but it's really hard to say since there are just no clues anywhere. I wonder if the Adventure Novels cover any of that part, since it goes into much more detail.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Dunno. From what I can tell, there's no mention as to who the First Five are, just speculation.

One person suggested it was simply a homage to V-Tamer, but I don't quite believe that...