Code Geass Titles

Discussion in 'Rec Room' started by Complex Mind, Oct 26, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Complex Mind

Complex Mind Sleep Enforcement Officer

Code Geass Titles

What does the 'vi, di, etc..' mean in Code Geass' Royal Family Character Names?

i.e. Lelouch vi Britannia

Could it be Latin? I can't find the answer anywhere...
  2. Skr

Skr Ishvalastrator Staff Member

It's not Latin... it's probably Italian though.

Take Leonardo da Vinci or Martin van Buren... same middle part. When we see those, though, we think of it as just part of their last name... which doesn't really work in the Geass names :<

Edit: Looking up more things, things like da Vinci and van Buren are just 'surname prefixes'... I'm sure that's what they were going after in Geass... but why they change from person to person I have no clue... I guess they might actually have a meaning... like vi or something can mean "blank of" so then it would be "Name - Blank of Britannia" Seems to be something used in Dutch a lot... but Geass isn't from Dutch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tussenvoegsel

Edit2: Aha! I found more:
    I'm guessing you probably already knew they meant something, but hey, we know know 'di' means "son of"... and 'de' is 'of the'... further reading here
  3. Futamaru

Futamaru A Translator, Not So Diligent... Staff Member

Could be a surname prefix that the author made up so that it doesn't refer to any country.

But I searched the wiktionary and found that it means "descendant" in Ewe. (Don't know what language Ewe is)
  4. Skr

Lawl, their country's name is 'Britannia'... That's as close to a reference as you can get without it being the same word :<
  5. Futamaru

Futamaru A Translator, Not So Diligent... Staff Member

But geographically in America... xD
  6. megumi

megumi SPAM BOT Staff Member WARNING WARNING

I think it also indirectly denotes which mother one was born to. Like Lelouch and Nunally both have "vi" while both Cornelia and what'shername (I seriously forgot) has same as well.
  7. Popcorn42

Popcorn42 New Member

8. megumi

megumi SPAM BOT Staff Member WARNING WARNING

Yeah. Her. x_x
  9. Complex Mind

Complex Mind Sleep Enforcement Officer

I guess it must be Latin-based then, I know for a fact that a number of languages use such titles in their names (in varying forms).

Complex Mind de la Chine!
  10. Skr

It's not from Latin... Latin had no such things. Italian.

Latin names are like Gaius Julius Caesar or Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus.... simple setup like that... unless it seriously come from things such as "Marcus Aurelius Lucii f. Quinti n. tribu Galeria Antoninus Felix, domo Caesaraugusta" which is almost giving your life story in a name.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_naming_conventions