Am i Alone...?

z-nut

TaeKwonDo Instructor
Am i Alone...?

Just recently my internet has gotten really slow, like from 25 mins an anime episode to 6 hours. so i download regcure and what do i find? you have 926 registry errors. :eek:

Does any one ever have problems like this or advice on how to solve and prevent things like this?

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
I wouldn't depend on downloading anything from the internet to solve your internet connection speed. I say it would be definitely better to call your ISP and tell them what's up.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
There are antivirus programs like BitDefender out there that will fix these things. Just use an antivirus that not only busts virus, but does maintenance as well.

z-nut

TaeKwonDo Instructor
ok thanks.

I stop downloading things anyways... my anti virus is expired an i Haven't renewed it for like 6 months

i was just hoping there was a different way.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Nemo, be nice. Reformatting the harddrive will wipe it. That's only for a last resort, if you can't even get the damn thing to boot, and have to go into DOS mode.

Nemomon

<b>Gaming Freak</b><br>Chip Library Evo
That's my common answer, if someone have problems with PC. If You want have Your PC in enough good condition, You should format it once per each month. If You think, You have viruses, first try any antivir, if it will help You, create a back-up of files, then format HDD.

Also i forgot to mention, better will be, if You will do that without _/q You have many time for formating.

Crash And Burn

Yay 4 Spring!~
If you are looking for good antivirus, I recommend Webroot Spy Sweeper WITH Antivirus. It is good. I use it on my computer.

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Nemomon;64690 said:
If You want have Your PC in enough good condition, You should format it once per each month.

That's a lot! I am too lazy to do it every month. The most I can is 2-3 times per year...

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
AVG, Ad-aware, Spybot, Highjack This, CCleaner, and an occasional defrag should keep your system clean. There's a few others I'll recommend later that specifically look at your regestry. I'm not on my computer so I forget what they're called. Regestry errors aren't uncommon, most just happen by chance. Unless your computer is just up and blue screening every 20 minutes there's no need or use in formating every month unless you're just damned anal. I've had my computer four years and never had a single problem with it and it runs just as well as it did when I took it out of the box.
The internet problem could be anything not nessisarily a regestry problem. Like I said, most reg errors that'll pull up are benign (I get about 300 on average that are just left overs from programs I uninstalled). If you're torrenting the episodes with things like uTorrent try randomizing the port. Unless you're outright noticing browsing the internet as slow with nothing downloading you're more than likely fine.
Also: Run www.speedtest.net/ once you get on the net. Most highspeed connections average around 2700 kb/s - 4000 kb/s.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Anywho, whatever you do, do NOT get a mainstream antivirus software. McAffee (sp?), Norton, and other really popular ones commonly will miss viruses, simply because they're popular, so virus makers program ways around them.

So long as you get something with a registry cleaner, it should help, but if you've a lot of significant slowdow, don't be surprised if you have a virus or six.

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
SmitfraudFix & VundoFix, Free Registry Cleaner, SUPERAntiSpyware to add to the list.

SmitfraudFix & VundoFix take care of popup windows if you notice more than is usual or notice banner ads on websites that seem "hijacked" (they *might* help with the internet slowdown if you've got something in your system).. both malewares can get by Firefox. It's one I've gotten several times, but they're pretty easy to get rid of.
Registry cleaner should take care of the registry errors you say you've gotten. It'll pull up ALOT no matter how many times you run them in a ten minute period, so don't panic.
Also as a side thought make sure when your computer's idle it's using about 0 - 10% of your system resources. Anything above that and I'd get suspicious of hidden programs running.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Oh, one last thing. Don't be afraid to Reboot. Sometimes it's just that the cache is full, so you need to preform a reboot and everything should get up to speed again.