Whee, name translations.

GSR

That one guy
Whee, name translations.

Yeah, since people over at GameFAQs were whining about the English names for RnR I made up these translation notes and I figured I'd post it here for kicks.

(No, I don't know Japanese, I just did this in Google. :p)

Geo Stelar = Hoshikawa Subaru
Geo Stelar = Earth/Stars, obvious from his name. Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades, while 'Hoshikawa' is derived from hoshi, the Japanese word for star.

Omega-Xis = War-Rock
Mega is derived from Omega. Rock is derived from Rockman. Etc. etc. etc.

Sonia Strumm = Hibiki Misora
Sonia is a generally nice-sounding name, with Strumm being maybe the most obvious name pun I've ever seen, bar Will Powers and Jack Hammer. Misora is a combination of the words for 'beautiful' and 'sky', while Hibiki literally means 'echo' or 'sound.'

Luna Platz = Luna Shirogane
Luna = Luna. Luna = Moon. One and two is three. Platz could be taken as an abbreviation for 'Platinum', while Shirogane means 'white gold (or platinum)', and indicates wealth.

Bud Bison = Ushijima Gonta
Bison is a reference to oxes and the like, which his FM is based off. Ushijima comes from Ushi, the second sign of the Chinese zodiac, the Ox.

Zack Temple = Kizamaro Saishoin
Zack is just a common name, nothing to do with the JP name (other than that -maro is a common name suffix for children.) Kiza can mean annoying, referencing his personality, but the only connection I can see between Saishoin and Temple is the Saishoin Temple in Japan. So admittedly his EN name doesn't really have that much of a connection.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have expected less from the translators of Phoenix Wright. :p After all, these are the people who can successfully translate 'Aiga Hoshiidake' to English as 'Luke Atmey.'

DtD

[Z?]
...Geo Stelar? My question is how'd they think that would fit in the dub...the amount of syllables in Subaru is a lot more than Geo...

GSR

That one guy
DtD;5802 said:
...Geo Stelar? My question is how'd they think that would fit in the dub...the amount of syllables in Subaru is a lot more than Geo...

In Japawese talk, they just fill in the brank spaces with 'Gozirra!' Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha!

...lol stereotypes

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
DtD;5802 said:
They won't likely use the name in the same way that they do in the Japanese version. Especially during stuff like Denpa-Henkan.... they'll completely rewrite the dialogue for something like that.

To be honest, the Japanese way of saying it really doesn't make much sense....

GSR

That one guy
The first time I heard it, I half expected him to pull out an AM/FM radio and mike after yelling 'On-Air!' >_>

TuxRug

Retired
GSR;5810 said:
The first time I heard it, I half expected him to pull out an AM/FM radio and mike after yelling 'On-Air!' >_>
Is it wrong that I am reminded of Kirby's "Bad Singing" attack that kills all on-screen enemies?

RollEXE

GSR;5654 said:
Omega-Xis = War-Rock
Mega is derived from Omega. Rock is derived from Rockman. Etc. etc. etc.

I reckon they changed War-Rock's name to Omega is because they needed it to suit the pun.

Remember in episode 4? (Or was it 5?) Detective Goyouda (that's what I call him XD) and Luna said:

Luna: "I'm Shirogane Luna, from Kadomasho Elementary School, Room A-2! You are?"
Subaru: "I am... Hoshi...."
War Rock: "Eehemm"
Subaru: "Rock...?"
Luna: "Eh? Rock? Wha-ha!"
Detective: "Rockman you say?"

So it would be.....

Luna: "I'm Shirogane Luna, from Kadomasho Elementary School, Room A-2! You are?"
Subaru: "I am... Hoshi...."
War Rock: "Eehemm"
Subaru: "Mega...?"
Luna: "Eh? Mega? Wha-ha!"
Detective: "Megaman you say?"

I suppose that's why they changed it as well.....

faqcorner

Dengar;12033 said:
That still doesn't explain where the War-Rock name comes form.

War-rock was the original name of the FMian

Omega-XIS is the US/America/Elsewhere? name of War-rock

Scipio;5808 said:
They won't likely use the name in the same way that they do in the Japanese version. Especially during stuff like Denpa-Henkan.... they'll completely rewrite the dialogue for something like that.

To be honest, the Japanese way of saying it really doesn't make much sense....

Japanese one makes more sense look at this (note this is Subaru/Geo's one + THIS IS THE GAME VERSION IN ENGLISHON HOW THEY SAY IT VS. ANIME VERSION IN JAPANESE)

Japanese:
Denpa Haken
Hoshikawa Subaru
On air

English:

EM wave change (something like this...)
Geo Stelar (is it one or two L's?)
On-The-Air

other than Denpa Haken and name differences... look at the last line. say out loud. again...again...etc.

ok so where did that frickin "THE" come from?
It's kinda bothering me :/ mostly cause it sounds very weird compared to just "On Air!"...

meh

Dengar

Because the Japanese version is Engrish. There's supposed to be a 'the' in that phrase.

War-rock was the original name of the FMian

Omega-XIS is the US/America/Elsewhere? name of War-rock

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit annoyed because I really hate repeating myself.

That does not explain where the name comes from. *sigh*

faqcorner

Dengar;12577 said:
Because the Japanese version is Engrish. There's supposed to be a 'the' in that phrase.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit annoyed because I really hate repeating myself.

That does not explain where the name comes from. *sigh*
o.0' then how come all of the translations say On Air instead of On the Air?

k fine, dunno gonna ignore that question then i guess ><'

Dengar

Meh, it's probably like what that other person said. There's probably no real story behind the name.

The translations say On Air, because that is what Subaru says in the Japanese version.

Localization is more than just translation though. It's making sure all the puns translate well, and making sure all the expressions are used correctly.

Also, "On The Air" carries a bit more punch than just "On Air".

Blaze Dragon

Blazing with energy!
The names suck, period. Why can't US just leave the games as-is, and only change the dialouge to English, as they SHOULD?

And War-Rock comes from War and Rock, who in turn comes from Rockman, who in turn comes from Rock and Roll. Easy, huh?

GSR

That one guy
Blaze Dragon;12592 said:
The names suck, period. Why can't US just leave the games as-is, and only change the dialouge to English, as they SHOULD?

I hate this argument. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Keep in mind that these games and the like are usually aimed at younger kids. American kids. Now with that in mind, what is going to be more fitting and easier to remember in that kid's mind: Geo Stelar or Hoshikawa Subaru? It doesn't just apply to kids' stuff, either: Phoenix Wright is a fairly adult game, and the only names they DIDN'T change were Godot and some stage names - because when the rest of the game is in English, it sounds better to have the names in English too.

faqcorner

GSR;12600 said:
I hate this argument. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Keep in mind that these games and the like are usually aimed at younger kids. American kids. Now with that in mind, what is going to be more fitting and easier to remember in that kid's mind: Geo Stelar or Hoshikawa Subaru? It doesn't just apply to kids' stuff, either: Phoenix Wright is a fairly adult game, and the only names they DIDN'T change were Godot and some stage names - because when the rest of the game is in English, it sounds better to have the names in English too.
for your last part, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't + it REALLY depends on the person...

but I agree with the first part...a bit...to get out of this argument >_>'

Dengar

Not to mention that the Ace Attorney games have AMAZING localizations. The names and conversations make sense.

The only thing that was weird was the obviously Japanese village which is in America, but that's a minor thing that's easy to overlook.

Blaze Dragon;12592 said:
And War-Rock comes from War and Rock, who in turn comes from Rockman, who in turn comes from Rock and Roll. Easy, huh?

>_> And yet you completely miss my point.

Seriously, only translating the conversations "like they should" is bull. And I am a Japaholic. But I, too, feel that localization is more than just translating the converstations. It's putting them into context that any westerner can understand. It's making it so that the names are familiar and easy to remember. It's making sure, that if a Japanese character has a name that is a pun, the American version will have a name that is a similar pun. THAT is what localization is. It's not like slapping proper subtitles onto a Japanse anime, which is something entirely different, and cannot be compared to localization.

If you like the original names so much, go learn Japanese and import the Japanese version.

GSR

That one guy
Dengar;12611 said:
Not to mention that the Ace Attorney games have AMAZING localizations. The names and conversations make sense.

The only thing that was weird was the obviously Japanese village which is in America, but that's a minor thing that's easy to overlook.

Seriously, only translating the conversations "like they should" is bull. And I am a Japaholic. But I, too, feel that localization is more than just translating the converstations. It's putting them into context that any westerner can understand. It's making it so that the names are familiar and easy to remember. It's making sure, that if a Japanese character has a name that is a pun, the American version will have a name that is a similar pun. THAT is what localization is. It's not like slapping proper subtitles onto a Japanse anime, which is something entirely different, and cannot be compared to localization.

If you like the original names so much, go learn Japanese and import the Japanese version.

That's pretty much it on spot-on. Translation and localization are two completely different things. It's the reason why they made Elite Beat Agents instead of translating Ouendan - Ouendan is largely based on Japanese culture, and if they just translated it, it'd lose a lot of the feel.

RollEXE

To me, "On Air" sounds like what they say when TV or Radio programmes are ready to be 'on air', you get what I mean?
Like: "3-2-1, and we're on air!"

:/ This post doesn't even make sense to me..... I can't explain it in my current mental state.