Reverse Time

Timewitch

Reverse Time

Reverse Time

Summary
Eleftheria is a sixteen-year-old girl who can affect on her luck by using her willpower. She also has a strange secret: A triple personality. She ‘hosts’ two other selves, Flaire Pridemon and Floramon, who are something between imaginary friends and Digimon Partners. Unfortunately, one day, Flaire and Floramon decide to have vacation in DigiWorld, although Eleftheria begged them to stay, due to her recent lack of willpower. To make matters worse, strange monsters from the Magic world appear in the human world, while Daemon appears in the Digital world, trapping there Flaire and Floramon, along with the DigiDestineds from seasons 1 & 2. What relates those two facts? Who’s gonna help Eleftheria face the attack of the monsters, now that Flaire and Floramon are trapped in DigiWorld? Can Flaire and Floramon help Eleftheria? Or she actually needs no help?

Writer’s note: This fic is a prequel to my original fanfic, “Digimon 5 squared”. You can read each fic though, without having to read the other. Of course, I shouldn’t write the prequel before I finish the original, but I had inspiration.

1. Three personalities, two haircuts and… a wish
The school bell rang thunderously.
“Oh, we’re finally free”, I thought. I put my books in my bag as quickly as possible and rushed to the street door of the school.
“Why so hurried, little monster number two?” Floramon teased me.
“You know why”, Flaire said sarcastically. “See there? The reason is coming”.
I bit my lips nervously.
“Hey, stop biting your lips! How are you going to kiss him?” Floramon continued teasing me.
“Florie, why don’t you stop? I don’t want to kiss him!” I answered.
“Like Yolei said, you don’t wanna kiss him; you just wanna marry him!” said Flaire.
“Hey, all I want from him is his friendship! I wouldn’t want anything more; he’s two years younger than me.”
A short, thin boy moved towards the door. He passed his hand through his short, dark brown hair.
“Hi”, I told him shyly.
“Oh, hi”, he answered.
“Tell him about his hair”, Floramon whispered.
“I don’t like your hair the way you have them cut. Put some extensions”, I told the boy. I laughed nervously.
“I had the same haircut for two years; I needed a change”, he answered.
“I see. Well, I cut my hair last Wednesday, but no one seems to notice”, I said.
“You look good”, he answered.
“Thanks. I change my haircut all time, but I make small changes; For example, now I made a fringe; last time I made my hair curly”
“I don’t believe you’re talking about hair!” said Floramon.
“I don’t believe you’re talking to him at all!” said Flaire. “Didn’t you say you prefer to stay single?”
“Silence, both of you!” I said. I turned to the boy. “Orestes, did you move permanently to the orchestra?” I asked him.
“Yeah, probably. I like it there”
“Next year, if you don’t come back to the composing group, I’ll be alone, so I might move to the chorus”
“You’re right, I forgot… John’s leaving next year”
“Not that there’s much difference whether he’s in the group or not” I laughed.
“Are you going anywhere for the Easter vacation?”
“I might go to some mountainous place with my parents and my sis”
“Courage, you’ll come back alive” Orestes laughed.
“Tell him about the story”, said Floramon.
“Did Leedha give you part 2?” I asked Orestes.
“You mean part 2 of your story with Flaire and Floramon? No, she didn’t”
“Weird… I made a separate copy for you, so that you’d have the time to read it without hurrying to return it to me. Anyway, here’s your bus”.
“Eleftheria, which one is your bus?”
“It’s… it is number eight” I answered.
“Bye”
“Bye”
I entered my bus, choosing a seat. My heart was beating loudly and, despite myself, a smile appeared on my lips.

A few minutes later, I had a conversation with Leedha, a girl who was taking the same bus with me and, luckily, she was in the same class with Orestes.
“Nice haircut”, said Daphne, Leedha’s sister. “You’re very pretty like that”
“Thanks” I told her.
Leedha gave her sister a threatening glance; she didn’t like our conversation being interrupted.
“Orestes had his hair cut too”, I told Leedha. “He looks awful”
“Yeah, you’re right”, she said. “He does look awful”.
“If he continues to change like that I doubt I’ll like him anymore. By the way, why didn’t you give him my story?” I said lowering my voice. The only people in the bus knowing about my feelings for Orestes were Leedha, Thespina and Melina. Thespina’s my sister. Melina was the principal’s daughter; she was a very nice person, though.
“Because I wanna read it first”, Leedha answered.
“You’ve read it already”
“I want to read it again”
“OK”, I said. I couldn’t refuse: Leedha was the most loyal reader of my story. That’s firstly because she used to read a lot of books in general; secondly because she’s the only person I know who’s clever enough to fully understand my story; and also because she used to know a few things about Digimon, which is a rather rare quality since Digimon have stopped airing in my country for three years.
As for my story, it’s a Digimon fanfic. Flaire and Floramon are its main characters, as well as… my imaginary friends. I’m not really sure what they are, to be sincere. What are they? Imaginary friends? Alter egos? Digital Partners? I am not sure yet.
I know, though, where they are: they are with me. Inside my mind. We have conversations when I don’t have anything to do, they give me advices… Flaire is strict, sarcastic, conservative and she always tries to do the right thing. Floramon is funny, friendly, sweet and positive. As for me… I am a creative, very self-centered person and I always try to do what I want. That’s why I often argue with Flaire; Floramon’s the one who keeps the balance and prevents us from quarrelling. She usually takes my part, but she convinces me somehow to do what Flaire advised me to do.
How did I start to carry them in my mind? Well, that’s a long story. Flaire’s a Digimon, but she has abilities similar to the DigiDestined’s. It’s hard to explain, but we used to be the same person. And day by day… each of us becomes the opposite of the other. Maybe it’s because our nature was something between human and digi: I finally choose to be human and Flaire choose to be a Digimon. Now, of course, you could ask: Shouldn’t her name have the suffix –mon? Her real name is Pridemon, but when we were between the two natures, we needed a nickname and besides, we didn’t even know she was a Digimon. So we made a nickname fusing the English words “flair” and “flare”. When our personalities separated, she kept the nickname.
Floramon’s our Digital Partner. She never fights, though: Flaire has this responsibility, due to her being stronger. To make our communication easier, we started to use telepathy. Telepathy is the way we “talk” now.
We managed this thanks to an item called White Ring, which can transformed into whatever Flaire wants it to. It looks like Digimon Emperor’s Dark Rings with the difference of its being white and its having on it a blue gemstone. In order to transform it, all Flaire has to do is cut a hair and put it on the gem of the Ring. It was created by the three of us, but Flaire created of it an item like a magic wand and she erased from her memory the way to create it. So, only Floramon and I know how to create it. Yet, Flaire is the one who uses it. Floramon is happy enough so that her happiness doesn’t depend on items. As for me, I have a special power which replaces the White Ring perfectly. But that’s another story and we’ll tell it another time. Or maybe, just a bit later.
In order to be next to me/Flaire, Floramon asked us to use the White Ring to make her immaterial. This way, she could stay with us without letting any other human notice. She got so much used to it, though, that she prefers to stay immaterial, another soul in my already crowded mind. She’s a very pleasant company, luckily.
Now, about my special power: it’s not that special. I use my willpower to affect on my luck. I think anyone could do that.
“Not anyone, little monster”, said Floramon interrupting me from my thoughts.
I looked at the clock. “Oh, Gosh, it’s already 11:30 p.m.! I gotta sleep”
“You got absent-minded” said Flaire. “Again thinking about that stupid guy?”
“I don’t care if he’s stupid. I like him!” I said.
“It’s unbearable” said Flaire.
“Why do you hate him so much, little monster number one?” Floramon asked her. “I don’t approve of him either, but he’s tolerable”.
“I’m not talking about the human brat. I’m talking about witchy”, said Flaire.
“I’m not a witch!” I said.
“Then how do you explain the fact that you always manage to draw the cards you need when you play card games?” said Flaire. “Anyway, this situation is… well I don’t like it. All we do here is talking about your boring, inexistent love life. You’re not continuing the story as fast as you should. I recommend that you continue it quickly. You said Floramon and I will go back in DigiWorld when you finish the story. I don’t believe that you’ll manage to finish. My life’s boring. You and Floramon aren’t even talking to me anymore”, Flaire complained.
“It’s not our fault that you are so negative, unpleasant and narrow-headed”, I answered.
“Why am I narrow-headed? Because I don’t want you to talk about stupid boys and I don’t approve of your having crushes on them?” said Flaire. “Enough! I miss the DigiDestined. I miss the battles. We haven’t fought together since the day we defeated MaloMyotismon, five years ago”
“Yeah, the good old times, when you and I were the same person. How did we change so much?” I sighed.
“I don’t know and I don’t care. I want to escape from your boring life. I want an adventure”, said Flaire.
“Flaire Pridemon! Be careful with your wishes, for they may come true”, I told her.
“Why, witchy? Do adventures look too scary now that you’re not me?”
“Stop, Flaire! What you say may affect my will and my will may affect my luck. Please, stop!”
“No, I won’t! I wish I could have an adventure with the other DigiDestined like the good old times!” she said, her voice echoing in my mind.
The three of us stood silent. It was a very strange silence: For about five years, even if there was no noise wherever I was, there was always a conversation in my head. Now… all I heard was nothingness.
“If your stupid wish causes anything to happen to me or to those I care for… I’ll erase you from my mind! You won’t exist anymore!” I said angrily.
Flaire didn’t answer. Floramon tried to say something to break the ice, but it had no result. This silence in my head had a double effect: on the one hand, I felt lonely since no one was talking to me. On the other hand, I actually felt quiet and calm for the first time in the last five years.
Somewhere in the Magic World, a teenager was staring pensively at a village. He looked at its inhabitants and, despite his wearing a heavy armor, he shivered. “I must convince them not to do what they’re planning”, he thought. He put on his helmet carefully so that he wouldn’t harm his long, pointy ears.

2. Friendship and betrayal
Next week…
“Good morning, little monster number two! Good-bye!” said Floramon when I woke up.
“Good-bye!” said Flaire.
“Why are you saying goodbye to me?” I said anxiously. I had a very bad feeling.
“Do you remember when we were saying something about vacation in DigiWorld?” said Floramon.
“Yes”, I said. I started to understand what she was trying to tell me. And I didn’t like it.
“Flairie and I decided to do that. We really need it” said Floramon.
“WHAT!” I shouted. “You can’t!”
“Oh yes, we can!” said Flaire. “We’ve stayed so many years away from our world. We should go there more frequently”.
“Why now?” I asked. “Because things are getting harder, right?”
“Calm down, witchy! We’re leaving just for a few days!” said Flaire.
“Don’t dare to call me witch ever again! You’re leaving me now that my time-magic powers are fading out!”
“Little monster, I have told you to come with us, if you want”, Floramon said gently.
“You know I cannot come! I have school, I have parents!”
“Find something to tell them and join us! You need a trip in DigiWorld too!” said Floramon.
I could hardly hold myself from crying. “I can’t! I won’t find the willpower to convince them; I feel weak and tired”
“There’s nothing we can do about that”, said Flaire.
“Bye, little monster. Good luck; you’ll need it” Floramon told me.
“I don’t need luck, I need you! Please don’t leave me! If YOU let me down I’ll never be able to trust anyone!”
“Bye!” said both my imaginary friends and Partners.
My head was empty; my heart was emptier.
“What if I become too depressed?” I thought. “I might try to commit suicide and there will be no one to stop me! Anyway, I don’t think I’ll commit suicide. I’m so unlucky that I doubt the other world will be better than this one”.
The rest of my day was unbearably boring. Not because of the others; it happened because of me. I felt… half. My mood was bad as well.
It wasn’t only because Flaire and Floramon left me. In the previous days, I had managed to ask Orestes to go out with me and he agreed. We hadn’t arranged which day we would meet, though. The days after that day, he didn’t talk to me. And it wasn’t just him that had made me feel weird. I had had a feeling that something was wrong and I couldn’t find what it was. I had thought that I felt that way because I had wasted too much energy to ask Orestes out.
That awful day Flaire and Floramon left, I realized that it was something more. For some mysterious reason, my mind had stopped providing my luck with energy and that was the reason for my lack of luck. “What am I saving this energy for?” I wondered. “Is it worth it? Am I gonna be able to face it, especially without Flaire and Floramon?” I touched my forehead. “I must be ill. What a headache!” I wanted to cry. “There’s no point in crying. No one is here to comfort me. Those two I used to regard as my best friends left me the moment I needed them the most. It’s not my fault that I never trust others. When I do, they ALWAYS let me down!” I thought.
Next evening, I was playing a card game with Michalis, my best friend; he was nearly mad at me because I always won. When we finished the game, I went to the balcony to close the shutter of my bedroom. Suddenly, something really weird happened.
Parts of the street were spotlighted by lights from nowhere. Then, as if those parts where water instead of solid cement, some troll-like monsters emerged through them. My mind stopped. I mechanically locked the shutter as quickly as possible. “Only my imagination”, I thought and took a breath. Then I turned to Michalis.
“Go to the living room”, I told him.
“Why?” he asked.
“Groar!” we heard a voice coming from the balcony. Shutter and window were cracked and one of those horrible monsters entered the room.
Before we could react, the monster turned its sword at Michalis’ direction. A ray of light hit him and he fell asleep.
The monster looked at me.
“Flaire, Floramon, I need you! Appear!” I said loudly. “They aren’t supposed to appear in the real world, but this is an emergency”, I thought.
Nothing happened. “Oh, my God! I forgot it! That stupid vacation in DigiWorld!” I realized. “They’re not here to protect me! And my energy is too low to affect on my luck… What kind of friends are those that leave you when your life’s in danger?” I thought horrified and angry at the same time.
The monster roared. “Now I’m done for”, I thought.
A ray of light hit the monster, which disappeared immediately. A tall boy entered the room. He had short chestnut hair, pale green eyes and long, pointy ears.
“Are you OK?” he asked and put his sword in its sheath.
I looked at him stunned. “Phil? Is that you?” I said unable to believe in my eyes. One year before or so, my school had moved to a strange place where magical creatures appeared. Then we had learned that there was a gate to a world inhabited by magical creatures along with some humans. Some of us had been to that world and had had a strange adventure. That’s how I knew Phil. After that adventure we had returned at school, which had moved back and no one remembered anything about the Magic World. No one except for me.
He looked as surprised as me. “Witch of luck? What a coincidence! Or shall I say… time trick?”
I didn’t answer. “What happened? Weren’t your ‘imaginary’ friends here to protect you?” he asked.
“No, they are in vacation in their world! They left me unguarded!” I said angrily.
“I see… Well, you were lucky that I happened to take care of this area of your world. Or shall I say that you just were a… timewitch?” he said teasingly.
“Stop teasing me about my powers! They’re gone, so if you don’t mind stop mentioning them!” I said.
“What do you mean?” he asked frowning.
“I can’t affect on my luck anymore!” I said. “My wishes don’t come true and, when they do, I feel extremely tired. How would you explain that?”
A restrained smile appeared on his lips. “My dear, your powers aren’t what I’d call ‘gone’. It seems that your brain is saving your willpower for important situations, like this one” he said pointing at the destroyed shutter. “It’s not a coincidence that I’m here. You made me come the right moment. And you wouldn’t have acted this way if your brain had let you use your energy for stupid everyday things”
I sighed. “Anyway, I think you should go before anyone notices you”
“Don’t worry; my team and I will erase the memories of those who should forget”, said Phil. “But you’re right. I should go to my world before the moment I fed Felfel”
“How’s it going with your dragon?”
“Felfel is fine. I think he misses you”
“It is because we both are kind of reptiles. He’s a dragon and I am… a chameleon!”
“It’s true, you adapt to the environment like a chameleon”, said Phil. “Bye, see you”
“Wait… What did you mean when you said ‘before the moment you fed Felfel’? And what’s that team?” I asked.
“The time in my world is reversed and I have to fix as many damages as possible… It’s complicated; I’ll explain it another time” he said. “Will you let me kiss you for goodnight?”
“I already have imaginary friends. I don’t want an imaginary boyfriend”
“Are you sure I’m imaginary?” he asked pointing at the destroyed shutter.
“Even if you were real, you’re an elf. Besides I thought what we had is over”
He smiled teasingly. “I see. There’s someone else in your life. I hope he deserves it. Is it him?” he said pointing at Michalis.
“No, that’s my best friend; we’re like brother and sister. By the way, the monster attacked him. What shall I do to wake him up?” I asked.
Phil sighed. “Do I have to tell you now?”
“Yes”
“OK then, give me your lace”.
“My lace?”
“Yes, weren’t you wearing a lace as a bracelet?”
“Oh, yeah, here you go” I said taking off the black lace from my hand.
“I thought it was blue”
“The blue one got too old, so I replaced it”
Phil took the lace and he touched it with the flat part of his sword. “Touch him with the lace and he’ll be fine. The same goes with the shutter. If any of those monsters appear again, point at them with the hand on which you wear the lace and they’ll disappear. Although you will not need to do so, for, unlike those Digimon, I’ll be there for you”, he said.
“Thank you” I said.
“Good-bye” he said and then he disappeared like the monster.
I fixed the shutter and I woke up Michalis. He didn’t remember anything. All he said was “It took you so long to lock that shutter that I fell asleep!”

Timewitch

3. Our war vacation (or How Flaire got addicted to digital dust )
“I’m so glad we left that evil witch”, said Flaire when they arrived at DigiWorld.
“You shouldn’t talk about her like that! After all, you used to be the same person”, said Floramon.
“I don’t care! She’s just an immature, selfish human brat! I suggest that we enjoy our vacation and forget Eleftheria”, said Flaire.
“I hope we’re doing the right thing. She looked so weak…” Floramon sighed.
“She pretended that, because she didn’t want us to leave her. She probably thinks that the only purpose of our lives is to take care of her… She’d better understand that it’s not!” Flaire said angrily. “Let’s go to Digitamamon’s restaurant; I’m starving”
“Fine”, said Floramon. “I have a bad feeling about leaving Eleftheria alone. I hope she has enough willpower to stand on her own two feet” she thought without telling Flaire.
When they entered the restaurant, they heard some voices that sounded familiar.
“Davis, I’m still hungry!”
“You’ve become fat. I won’t let you eat more”
“I agree, Davis”, said Flaire. “Don’t let him eat the whole restaurant; he’s not the only hungry mon here”
“Flaire, Floramon!” said the group of the DigiDestined. All of them were there along with their Digital Partners, even Mimi and Palmon.
“We came here for vacation”, said Flaire.
“What a coincidence! We’re here, because we missed DigiWorld and we wanted to pay it a visit”, said Kari.
“I’m not sure it is a coincidence”, thought Floramon. “How did you manage to visit DigiWorld, since you defeated MaloMyotismon?” she asked the group.
“Gennai said that it is a kind of reward the DigiWorld gave us: we can come here whenever we want”, Tai explained.
“Excuse me. What would you like to order?” Digitamamon asked Flaire and Floramon.
“I’d like some orange juice”, said Floramon.
“Could you recommend something energizing and healthy?” Flaire asked Digitamamon.
“Yes, of course. I think some digital dust would be perfect for you”, said Digitamamon.
“Digital dust? You mean those scattered data thingies that wonder throughout DigiWorld?” asked Floramon.
“Yes. Lots of Digimon eat them” said Digitamamon.
“I’d like to try some”, said Flaire.
“OK” said Digitamamon and went to the kitchen.
“How did you manage to come here, Flaire? Isn’t your absence going to be noticed?” asked Cody.
“It depends on Eleftheria, my human self. If she manages to act normally without me and Floramon, no one will understand our absence. Besides, for all those years, no one ever understood our presence”, said Flaire.
“Here you go” said Digitamamon bringing Floramon’s juice and Flaire’s digital dust.
“Thank you” said Flaire. Then she tried the dust. She really liked it. “You’re right! It’s exactly what I was looking for!” she told Digitamamon.
“The digital dust is a great source of energy indeed. You need, though, to bear in mind a little thing: Digital dust shouldn’t replace normal food”, said Digitamamon. Then, he left silently.
Floramon took a sip from her orange juice. “What’s up?” she asked the group. “Any news?”
“Nothing you haven’t heard of”, said Hawkmon. “Except from the fact that Ken and Yolei are dating!”
“You chatterbox chicken, you’d better stop blabbing me!” Yolei told her Digital Partner.
“Big deal! I can blab Eleftheria in return”, said Floramon.
“Can you stop talking about her?” Flaire asked angrily.
“Why is she so mad at that girl?” Veemon asked Floramon.
“She is Flaire’s human self. She didn’t want to let us have vacation; she said she needed us. That drove Flaire mad and… the results are in front of you” Floramon explained.
“From what you just said, Eleftheria sounds kinda selfish”, said Sora.
“To tell you the truth, Sora, my dear, if selfishness was a crest, I might have been a Mega!” Floramon laughed. “It isn’t that she hates others. She just cares for herself too much”.
“Please, let’s change the subject!” Flaire begged. “I came here to have a nice time!”
“OK, have you all finished with eating and drinking?” asked TK. “If so, I’ll pay and then we can go”.
“You mean you’ll pay everyone’s foods and drinks? I hope you’ve won the jackpot, TS!” said Davis.
“It’s TK” said TK, although he knew that it wouldn’t stop Davis from mispronouncing his name. “One of the stories I wrote took the first place in a literature contest. The prize was monetary, so I have enough money to treat my friends for once”.
“Congratulations for your story, TK!” said Kari. TK blushed slightly.
“You didn’t tell about your story even to me!” Matt complained to his younger brother.
“I decided to keep it as a surprise” said TK.
“So that’s why you dropped the idea of coming here!” said Joe.
“And it happened to be the day we decided to have vacation. Something is wrong… Hey, what’s wrong with me? I’m supposed to be an optimistic mon” thought Floramon.
TK went to pay Digitamamon, while the others sat near the shore of the lake.
Suddenly, the sky darkened. Clouds were concentrated above the lake and thunders started to shine through the clouds.
Then, a dark figure emerged from the darkest part of the clouds…
TK came running towards us. “Hey guys… what happened?” he asked. Then, he noticed the dark figure. “Uh-oh…”
“Daemon…” Davis muttered.
“Yes, it’s me” said Daemon. “I made you come here, you little brats… I escaped from the Dark Ocean… and I’m here to take revenge!”
“That’s impossible!” said Ken. “Oikawa’s spirit protects DigiWorld… he gave his life in order to have this ability…”
“There’s nothing he can do” Daemon said snorted. “There is a huge abnormality in the Digital World… and I bet it’s not only in Digital World”.
“What the heck do you mean?” Flaire yelled at Daemon with all the air she had in her lungs.
“You’ll die soon… so the knowledge will be useless to you. Flame Inferno!” Daemon attacked Flaire.
“Digi Armour, energize! Pridemon, armour digivolve to … WarPridemon! The gemstone of pride!” Flaire digivolved.
She dodged Daemon’s attack and then, she attacked him back. “Ice lightning!”
Daemon dodged Flaire’s attack. “Do you think you can defeat me so easily?” he laughed scornfully.
“I don’t know… but I guess I’ll find out soon. “Energy Blast!” Flaire attacked again.
“I’m going to help you, Flaire!” Floramon cried. “Floramon, digivolve to… Blossomon! Spiral Flower!” she attacked Daemon.
“Flame Inferno!” Daemon attacked Blossomon. She fell on the ground, de-digivolving to Floramon.
“We have to help!” Tai told the other DigiDestined.
They nodded and then their partners digivolved.
“Hmm… an army of annoying Digimon brats… well, that’s not fair” said Daemon. “All of you against me… it would be better if I left for now and brought some company with me later… but in order to let this happen… I can’t let you return to your precious world, DigiDestined” he said and disappeared into the clouds.
After a few minutes, the sky was clear.
“How does he dare do such a thing?” Mimi said angrily. “First, he destroys our little vacation… then he leaves when we are ready to attack him together… He’s really getting on my nerves!”
“We’ve got a really serious trouble…” said Izzy, who was sitting next to a television screen, one of those which are used as portals to the Real World. The second team of the DigiDestined was standing around him and the screen. All of them were holding their D-3s… and all of them had lowered their heads.
“We can’t open the DigiPort” said Yolei.
“WHAT?” said Flaire. “There must be a solution… I’ll try to teleport!” she said making a teleporting mashine. It didn’t work either.
“Well… what shall we do now?” said TK.
“I guess… that we stay here and fight Daemon” said Matt.
Flaire left the group and moved towards the forest nearby. Floramon followed her, but Flaire didn’t notice. She sat on a rock, burying her face into her palms.
“You’re worried about Eleftheria, aren’t you?” Floramon said softly.
“Huh? Oh, not really. It’s just that Daemon is getting on my nerves” said Flaire.
“Yes, I’m sure” Floramon taunted. “Come on, I’m worried too, it’s not a shame to admit it. I trust her though… her survival instinct is exceptional”
“That’s what scares me the most” said Flaire. “She would do anything in order to survive… anything!”
“Indeed… but there are many ways she could use in order to survive… they don’t have to be evil… right?” said Floramon.
Flaire looked in Floramon’s aquamarine eyes. “I hope so”.

Timewitch

4. Lace Replace
A few days after the monsters’ attack, something happened; something that would give me a lot of depression.
It was a Sunday like any other Sunday… until I turned on my mobile phone in order to make sure that its battery was fully charged.
I had received a mail message, which I opened curiously. I hadn’t expected to receive any mail, since I rarely used my mobile phone and very few people had my number.
“Do you like me?” was the message. Before looking at the sender’s name, I already knew who it was.
Orestes.
I felt my face flushing. My hands were weak with that strange electricity you feel whenever you think about the person you like. My heart was beating so loudly that I could almost hear it.
I typed quickly “Yes” and then I rushed to my mother and my sister, telling them what had happened.
“I still don’t believe that you like this Smurf” said Thespina. She used to call Orestes “Smurf” due to his being short.
“Mom… I need a renewal card for the mobile… it doesn’t have much in it” I told my mother.
“You know, you have a very ridiculus smile on your face” said my mother. She called my father and told him to buy a renewal card for me on his way home.
When he arrived at home, I took the card and renewed the “time” of my mobile. After that, I typed another message. “What about you? Do you like me or am I wasting my time?”
A few minutes passed, and I received an answer. “You’ll see when I give you back the USB flash”
‘What is he planning to do?’ I wondered. He had read part 1 of my fanfic and he kinda liked it, so I had wanted him to read part 2; yet, I hadn’t been able to print it, because my printer was out of ink. So, I had put the file in my USB flash stick and then I had lent it to Orestes.
Next day, I couldn’t concentrate to the lessons at all. All I could do was wondering what the heck Orestes had planned.
In one of the breaks, I found him. “Hey” I said shyly.
“Oh, hi” he said. “I’ll give you the USB stick when we finish with the lessons, OK?”
“OK” I said and left. I was kinda disappointed, for I had expected that my agony would finally end.
When school was over, I went to the school bus and left my bag there. A bit later, I got out of the bus and waited for Orestes to appear; he wouldn’t appear though.
My patience was over. I got into the bus and sat on my seat. Then, I grabbed my mobile and sent a message to Orestes. “Is it so hard to say a simple yes or no?”
After that, I turned off the mobile.
“What happened?” Leedha asked as she saw how angry I was.
I explained what had happened.
“If I were you, I would have answered no” said Leedha. “The way he asked… well, it was too lame!”
“Anyway… if he likes her, we’re gonna have a good deal of laugh!” said Melina.
“After all… if he didn’t care then why would he ask?” I sighed. A part of me was trembling with excitement, but another part of me had a sinking feeling.
When I arrived at home, I turned the mobile on to see whether Orestes had sent any answer or not.
He had. “Yes, it is so hard for me!”
I left the mobile in the living room and went to my bedroom, where I fell asleep immediately; agony had exhausted me.
When I woke up, my sister rushed into my room holding the mobile. “Sis… I remind you that he’s just a stupid Smurf” she said trembling as she handed me the mobile.
I froze.
“I don’t like you and I’m not interested in such things anyway” I read.
“Ehm… are you ok?” my sister asked hesitatingly.
“Hmm… yes. I just neeed to sleep a bit” I said.
My sister left.
I burst into tears and then I fell asleep again.
For the rest of the week, when I was at school I felt a strange pain in my lungs; when I was at home I was either crying or sleeping; and all day long, I couldn’t eat. Whenever I tried to eat anything, even my favorite kinds of food, I felt sicker than I felt anyway.

A month or so had passed since I had been rejected. It was a cloudy, warm day. The lace I had formerly used as a bracelet was too worn out; due to the nervousness I felt those days, I was playing with it all the time. So, I had replaced it with a new one, which was almost identical to the old one.
‘New lace… old bad me’ I thought. I hadn’t heard anything from Flaire and Floramon; I had faced all the pain on my own. The pain had kinda faded, but it was still there, hidden, insidious, longing for revenge.
After seven hours, it was the last hour we had to spend at school. Luckily, the professor who was supposed to teach our class in that hour hadn’t come at school. We were free.
I decided to spend that hour in the school’s courtyard, although there were clouds in the sky and it seemed as if it was going to rain.
The clouds were becoming thicker and thicker; it was almost as dark as evening.
Suddenly, parts of the ground were lit, the way it had happened on the day when the monsters had attacked my neighborhood.
The monsters emerged again.
All the children in the courtyard were panicked.
‘They can see the monsters!’ I thought. ‘This means that the monsters intend to leave evidence of their visit!’
My energy became unexpectedly easy to control. ‘That must be what Phil meant… it’s for important occasions like this’ I thought. Then, I remembered the spell he had put on my lace.
I had no more time to think though; I saw a monster running towards me.
I lifted my hand at its direction and expected the monster to disappear, but it didn’t. I had forgotten that I had replaced the lace, so I was panicked when it didn’t work.
I sighed with relief as the monster suddenly switched direction.
Without realizing what I was doing, I focused my energy above the palm of my right hand; the energy became visible forming a sphere made of iridescent light. I aimed at the monster, throwing the sphere to it.
“For heaven’s sake, do you know how much energy you just wasted?” I heard Phil’s voice.
I turned and faced him. “Oh… I thought that you wouldn’t come” I muttered.
“It’s not safe here” said Phil grabbing my arm and leading me to a somewhat hidden part of the courtyard, so that the monsters wouldn’t notice us, at least not immediately. “Eww…” he said staring at me. “You used so much energy that it was visible!” he sighed. ‘At least, you saved a kid…” he said.
“Really?” I said surprised.
“Yes” he said pointing at a kid in the courtyard carefully so that the monsters wouldn’t notice him.
When I saw who the kid was, I felt again that pain in my lungs. “Not him…” I whispered.
“What’s the matter?” asked Phil.
“I wish I had let the monster kill him!” I said bitterly.
“Why?” asked Phil. Then, he understood. “Ouch… you got rejected, huh?”
“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” I said. I felt as if there was running poison in my veins instead of blood. I felt so tired and disappointed that I didn’t even have the courage to cry.
“Anyways… why didn’t you use the lace instead of your energy?” asked Phil.
“Because I replaced it; it became too old” I said. “And it’s not the only thing I should replace” I sighed.
“OK” said Phil. I could tell that he was happy for my rejection, even though he tried to hide it. “Give me your lace so that I put a spell on it… and then you can help me with those monsters. There are many of them here and I don’t think you’d like them to destroy your school”.