Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky

Well, a CoroCoro scan has proved the rumors to be true! Yay!!! You can view the scans here. It is said to be the third game of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time Exploration Team and Darkness Exploration Team (as Platina is to Diamond and Pearl, or Emerald to Ruby and Sapphire). The release date, given out by CoroCoro, is on April 18, 2009.

NEW FEATURES:

Starter Pokemon increased to 19 from the previous games' 16. There are 5 new starters to choose from [Rokon, Eevee, Gomazou, Kolink, and Riolu]; however 2 of the previous games' starters have dropped out and now must be recruited [Nyass and Gonbe]. The other 14 starters [Fushigidane, Hitokage, Zenigame, Pikachu, Chikorita, Hinoarashi, Waninoko, Kimori, Achamo, Mizugorou, Eneko, Naetoru, Hikozaru, and Pocchama] will remain the same.

RETURNING FEATURES:

- Genders = Genders will make a return from MD2. Starter Genders will be your own gender, obviously. It is currently unknown if Partner Genders are random or if they're preset, but a recent scan shows Hikozaru, Pocchama, Eevee, and Gomazou to be male Partners and Rokon to be a female Partner. As I said, it is unknown if these genders are preset.

DUB NAMES:

Fushigidane = Bulbasaur
Hitokage = Charmander
Zenigame = Squirtle
Pikachu
Rokon = Vulpix
Nyass = Meowth
Eevee
Chikorita
Hinoarashi = Cyndaquil
Waninoko = Totodile
Gomazou = Phanpy
Kimori = Treeko
Achamo = Torchic
Mizugorou = Mudkip
Eneko = Skitty
Naetoru = Turtwig
Hikozaru = Chimchar
Pocchama = Piplup
Kolink = Shinx
Gonbe = Munchlax
Riolu

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
There's going to be more Mystery Dungeon games? I play them, sometimes, but they aren't my favourite at all.

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
I am going to import the game when it comes out, so I will update with anything that I discover in the game. *can't wait for the pre-orders*

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Wait, is this gonna be a third game for the Mystery Dungeon games?

I don't get it, though...

Time corresponds with Dialga... Which makes sense...
But... Darkness makes me think not of Palkia, but Giratina.
Now this Sky one... What's that gonna be, Shaymin?

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep use Time/Space/Darkness corresponding with Dialga/Palkia/Giratina?

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Role;84482 said:
Wait, is this gonna be a third game for the Mystery Dungeon games?

I don't get it, though...

Time corresponds with Dialga... Which makes sense...
But... Darkness makes me think not of Palkia, but Giratina.
Now this Sky one... What's that gonna be, Shaymin?

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep use Time/Space/Darkness corresponding with Dialga/Palkia/Giratina?

Well, Mystery Dungeon 2 - Time & Darkness both had two parts to the story. The first part dealt with Dialga and the collapse of the Dimensional Tower thus sending time out of control until all life ceases. The second part to the story dealt with the reason behind the collapse - the Pokemon who is created from darkness itself: Darkrai, who wanted nothing less than to throw the entire world into darkness. With these plot elements, the titles of Time and Darkness make perfect sense. I can't wait for Mystery Dungeon 3 - Sky to find out what it's about.

Crash And Burn

Yay 4 Spring!~
What if Mystery dungeon sky is only going to be like time and darkness, but with names and events changed? that would be terrible. I hope it is good though... (sorry for being negative)

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
It was conformed in the scans that it would be continuing where Time and Darkness left off (I think).

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Voltanis;84563 said:
Well, Mystery Dungeon 2 - Time & Darkness both had two parts to the story. The first part dealt with Dialga and the collapse of the Dimensional Tower thus sending time out of control until all life ceases. The second part to the story dealt with the reason behind the collapse - the Pokemon who is created from darkness itself: Darkrai, who wanted nothing less than to throw the entire world into darkness. With these plot elements, the titles of Time and Darkness make perfect sense. I can't wait for Mystery Dungeon 3 - Sky to find out what it's about.
...Maybe I should start playing it again, then?

I mean, I stopped after sheer frustration and hatred towards Misdrevous (formerly one of my favorites). I've even powerleveled WAY higher than I should been, and yet it goes and does it's silly little sure-fire tactic to take me out:

Hide in a wall
Confuse me
Paralyze me
Disable

and all in all, have me kill myself.

...>_>

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
I'm sorry for spoiling it for you. Yes, I think you should continue playing MD2; after all, from what I know, Sky is a sequel (there are clear pics on Serebii).

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Oh, it's a direct sequel?

Pokemon has those? Usually they're standalone storylines. I've GOT to see this!

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
I was also surprised at this. From what the scans look like, some characters like Juptole, Yonowaru, and Yamirami (at least 4/6) are back, but the positioning of the characters are wrong to be a third game (like Platinum/Emerald/Crystal/Yellow) - Juptole and Yonowaru look like teammates against the 4 Yamirami surrounding them. To me, it looks like it's a sequel.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Agreed, it'd make more sense as a sequel.

Does that mean that starting from now on, the 'third game' for Mystery Dungeon is going to be a direct sequel? IF that's the case, that'd be... well, brilliant. I mean, to the fans of those games, it's not just some third game, it's a sequel, meaning it'd be an amazing marketing strategy...

And the funny thing? We don't care! We'll still buy it, because quite frankly, we LIKE that strategy. ^-^

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Yup. Now I want to know what new features will be in this game. Will they increase the size limit of Pokemon you can have on your team? Or maybe they will change the sizes for some Pokemon? What speculation do you all have for this game?

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Hmm, I doubt I can answer that accurately for the time being, as I don't have near as much experience with the Mystery Dungeon as I do with main series.

I CAN tell you what I'd like to see with ALL of them, though - Adaptive custom moves.

What do I mean?

You know how much I like Gallade, right? Well, let's say that you utilize the move style of Psycho Cut, and the move essence of Fire Punch (which Gallade can learn), essentially creating a Fire Cut move (likewise, the opposite could hold true, giving rise to a Psycho Punch). Of course, there'd have to be limitations to what moves work with what, and I think that a prerequisite to use the moves in the combo would be to have the pokemon have learned those moves already.

I think that chained moves is basically the first link, but... Well, look at the anime. I thought that the "Ice Aqua Jet" was freaking brilliant. Though, I'd have called it "Ice Jet" instead... So although it'd be attained in a slightly different mechanism, to be able to truely mix two moves to create a new one would be a dream come true. ^-^

It'd be a nice fusion of old and new, too. Most likely, you'd have the original definition of Special and Physical in terms of the essences, and you'd have the new definition in terms of styles.

That kind of adaptive gameplay? I'd ADORE that. I mean, think of the custumization options you'd have at your disposal!

Another idea is to have the pokemon keep all the moves it's learned, but be able to equip 4 to use as in traditional use. These four when used as "Moves" have limited PP and are at full power, just as it is now. But when not used as moves, its simply used as "Attacks", and its effect is notably diminished (such as, say, half as good). I suppose how this would work with moves such as Growl and Swords Dance would be to give them 50% normal accuracy, and for moves such as Tackle and Thunder to be at half power. I like this idea less than my first one, though.

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
Updated the first post with a returning features section (genders) and with a release date for those interested.