Pocket Mosters Tactics

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Pocket Mosters Tactics

Okay, hypothetical time!

You remember how Final Fantasy went and that little masterpiece that was Final Fantasy Tactics (and, as far as gameplay, its superior spiritual successors, Advance and A2)? What if Pokemon had a Tactical RPG come out?

This is basically a thread to discuss what that game might be like, possible tactical stuff, and, my personal favorites, terrain and gyms!

I mean, come on, I can't have been the only one to think about this stuff!

So then, with that said, I was thinking about one of the gyms I've actually used in an RP - the Trap Factory. The area has a trap on most panels that will move you in one of six directions - Which will actually have an impact on how much damage is done. For example, a move like slash would do gradually increasing damage to the square ahead when the pokemon using it is pushed towards the target when the trap is triggered, but would have its power cut when moving away. This way, it'd also be possible to deal damage to a much wider area with a beam attack as well, as when it's being used, if they're being moved to the side, will attack each row moved across (though not with full damage, of course). And unlike Slash, and many physical moves, beam types could be powered up, dealing multiple partial-power hits. It'll make you think hard about terrain, which is what that gym is all about. The Gym Leader actually says that she's not your real opponent, the terrain is - And as for the game, the AI would be programmed to take full advantage of the terrain, as well as know where each trap is, and what it does - a sort of home field advantage.

Yuri

YUUURRRRIIII LOWELLLLLLLL
(I loved FFTA/2) ;_;
So it would be a bit like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, battlewise?

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
(I know, right? FFTA/2 were awesome! But storyline wise, FFT still has yet to be beaten, even if its battle system was horribly inferior to TA and TA2.)

Pfft, no. Here's what I see -

Order of turns is based on speed, but true to pokemon, everyone gets a turn per phase (no moving twice before the opponent gets to move). Some moves, such as Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, and Extreme Speed, are based off of the SPEED stat, rather than the ATTACK stat. Like all TRPGs, when your turn come up, you move a certain number of spaces (depending on the pokemon, and most likely its base speed stat), then use an attack (or use attack, then move, but you get the jist). Of course, it's possible to just use a normal attack like in Mystery Dungeon as well.

But here's the fun part. Remember in the Anime, how they mix moves together now? I was thinking you'd be able to do it in this one. You could create techniques that would have their own PP in battle. That way, say you had a Pokemon that could use Slash and Flame Thrower (or some other fire move). Now say they used the two together in a way to do a Fire Slash. Similarly, you could combine Agility-Quick Attack-Aerial Ace to make 'Agile Ace'. You could also combine the attacks of two or more pokemon (they'd all have to be on the field to use it, though).

Here's another fun part. Unless it's a trainer battle (which has rules on how many pokemon you can use at once), use the trainer to select where to release pokemon on the field (within a certain range), and release as many as you want. The trainer gets its own turn, so releasing/returning won't take up a pokemon's turn. However, in order to use items, you'll have to be next to the pokemon.

Also, this is something I want in other pokemon games...

The option to EQUIP MOVES. They'll retain ALL of their moves, once they learn them. You can EQUIP four of them, however. This will do one of two things -

1 - Allow you to use it, period. NOT the one I'm rooting for.
2 - Allow the move to be executed at full power, but only for as much PP as the move has. Unequiped moves or moves out of PP can still be used, but will have their power cut (by half, perhaps). I'm personally hoping for this one.

You'll have a certain amount of PP for combo attacks, how much depends on the level of the pokemon (gain 1 PP every so many levels). If you don't have the PP, you CAN'T use the combo.

You have any ideas, or things you'd wanna do a little differently?