Picked up Japanese from subs?

MirageDukemon

Picked up Japanese from subs?

after watching the fantastic quality of DATS' subbes, has anyone else unconciously picked up some of the japanese language?

i just realized i did when my brother asked me how to say "older brother" in japanese as a trick question and i answered immediatly. weird how much you can learn from a tv show :confused:

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Yup... I've picked up all my japanese from watching anime... and now-a-days, i can pick up a raw and know what's going on, and understand most of it... just not enough to fully translate a whole episode :p

Magna

Me too~
But not a lot, just random words and bits(a *tiny* bit came from self teaching books).
But before watching subs, I wouldn't have been able to say a word to save my life o.o

chazle

<b>Super Special Awesome Translator</b>
I'm a student of Japanese, and I sometimes take notes for vocabulary when watching anime. (That's normally when I'm in my "I have nothing better to do and am feeling like being productive"-mode.) Otherwise, I try to passively remember stuff that I've learned in class (if ~つつある has ever come up in the context of an anime I've watched, I'll be moderately surprised at that but happy for being able to recognize and understand it now...). But yeah, it's a good learning tool!

Fladramon

Most of my knowledge of the Japanese language comes from istening coversations of Japanese in a local bookstore near my house and also watching anime.

fun duelist

Yuuki Juudai's Successor
Definitely, Watching anime. Now, I can really understand most of what they're saying. But I am planning on make it official and learn the language itself. I am almost done with the Hiragana table. Yatta!!

DtD

[Z?]
Well, I have a set tapes and CDs I've learned my useful vocabulary from, but I picked up a bunch of adjectives and developed my accent from anime ;P

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
I've got about 10 years of anime and two years of actual classes. I can understand enough of what's going on, but literal translation is no.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
I understand bits and pieces. But I learned more from watching subs than from my actual Japanese learnign program -_-

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
Anime is a good way to pick up words here and there if they're repeated often and you know beyond a doubt what they mean, but not something you'd want to learn solely from. Please take those classes if you can.

Johnzaloog;6255 said:
Yep. Mainly obvious stuff though like "EE-Sou" (sounds like that to me) being let's go.

"Ikuzo." ^^;

Unconciously picking up some words...yeah, I do that a lot ^ ^;;. After that I started teaching myself and now I'm taking classes in school < I think I learned more on my own - -;;. Hiragana & katakana are easy, but watch me forget them by the time school starts again >>. Forget kanji. I should know most of the meanings at least since I'm Chinese, but I'm hopeless ^ ^;;.

tetron

Quality Check<br>rawr inc.
The only japaense words I would unconsciously pick up would be the ones that they say it over and over and over...etc.
That usually sticks on me like glue :)