Overrated Stuff - Likes and Dislikes

Mitchfoxbane55

Jyou Kido & Kudamon fan
Overrated Stuff - Likes and Dislikes

Hello guys, have you ever had the feeling that some stuff are too mainstream and popular like Naruto?
First let me explain it to you for some understanding before posting.

MEANINGS

Overrated:
Rated more highly (as in popularity) than is deserved.
Mainstream:
the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are popular with or shared by most people

If you get the idea, then post your Likes and Hates for the overrated stuff that you know of which you feel about it.

Here is my example I can show you...

Mitchfoxbane's Mainstream List

1. Wolves - who could anyone love wolves?

2. Lone wolf/semi-evil anti-heros - I usually adore those character types with sad pasts or something

3. Yamato "Matt" Ishida, Ruki Makino (a.k.a Rika Nonaka), Kouji Minamoto and Kouichi Kimura of the Digimon series - aww...how could anyone resist them?

4. Wolf's Rain - at least a wolf anime doesn't portray wolves as monstrous creatures and I also like some drama and music.

5. Cats (as in real-life animals not the photos) - Who says cats are stupid and boring? They are a lot smarter and cleaner than those slobbering dogs

6. Spongebob Squarepants - too damn funny

7. Digimon series - I am still addicted to it...

8. Foxes - oh those graceful wily creatures...

9. Azumanga Daioh - this anime always leaves me laughing in stitches and the characters are very likable.

10. Rock music - it has to rock on!

SO-SO
1. Yaoi/Yuri couples in anime fandom (and shounen-ai/shoujo-ai) - I don't mind those fanfics and fanart about it as long as it isn't graphic (fanart) and has some good plot (fanfic).

2. Lions - they are OK but too much of them can become boring and in real-life, they are not glorious creatures which you see them in movies, they are actually big bullies of the animal kingdom

3. Darkness - darkness may be fine but what is there without light or happiness? Too much of it can be dull

4. Photos of cats - they may be cute but I want to see more of the domestic cat fanart rather than just boring photos

5. Dogs - although I do like them but the popularity starts to sicken me just because of cuteness, their glorified TV portrayal or everything else!

6. Pokemon - I like some of the Pokemon creatures but the popularity and more releases of games needs to stop

7. The Lion King - The art, music and the characters are nice but unfortunately, it was rather a copy from Kimba the White Lion for the cliche 'Heroic Son vs Evil Uncle' plot and the similiarity with some characters (e.g. Simba = Kimba) as well as the fandom is starting to sicken me.

8. Youtube - it started off great until the stupid copyright laws started banning almost anyone with anime videos, I mean, there are some people who cannot afford to buy or find the DVDs of the different movie/anime/TV show yet.

9. 3D animation - at least Toy Story 1 & 2, Shrek 1 & 2 and Finding Nemo are great but there seem to be TOO MANY 3D animated movies out there and I am starting to get sick of them

10. Battle Royale (movie) - I have to admit, I like that movie but like most movies which are adapted from manga, novel or comic, they are not very great to watch when some characters are cut out in order to make the movie short. If you want to know more about the Battle Royale characters, try to read the manga or novel instead.

11. Sonic the Hedgehog - usually I do not mind the classic games and some characters but I dislike that Sonic X anime.

12. Horses - I like horses. I don't know anything about them, but they are okay, and I can see why so many people love them. But I hate how every girl is obsessed with them. I'm sick of seeing girls at our school who are just like "This horse was sooooooo pretty!!! Horses are the best things ever!! They're so beautiful......"

13. Internet chatspeak (e.g. i lyk u!) - it is usually quite okay to use it on the IRC and online chatting but when it used too much, it becomes quite an eyesore for those who are too used to reading real English language

14. Balto animated movie - the movie itself is okay and is supposed to be based on the real-life story but there are so much of hype on it and the sequels are even more pointless.

DISLIKES
1. Naruto - too overrated! I cannot stand this ninja popularity, fandom, fillers and the music. Beside the plot in the anime even the manga bores me quite enough.

2. FullMetal Alchemist - the overrated anime and the fandom gets me on my nerves, Ed also irritates me.

3. Kingdom Hearts - WTF is with that crossover of Final Fantasy and Disney?! The characters are also unlikable as well. Nice try, Disney...

4. Myspace and Bebo - there are more posers and stalkers than friends in myspace as well as too much of chain letters and spam polluting the whole webspace. There are also more bratty art thieves lurking about.

5. Handphones - Yeah, I know that handphones are quite necessary in case of emergency but it has become more of a toy than a neccessity among others and also I cannot stand the annoying ringtones.

6. Beyblade - same goes to Yu-Gi-Oh for the mechandising anime

7. Inuyasha - Yawn...stupid pointless boring anime, fandom and popularity even if Kirara gets me interested

8. Bleach - blah...stupid popularity and the plot bores me quite enough

9. Dragonball Z - the overrated anime that takes ages to get to the real storyline

10. Teen Titans - WTF is with that anime look on this cartoon?! I usually don't mind Robin but not this version, in fact I prefer Batman animated series.

11. Yu-Gi-Oh - I mostly hate all those anime that are based on the mechandise and making money.

12. Crayon Shin Chan - the art is really wonky and childish as well as the unfunny humor.

13. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - too much hype on this fantasy stuff; if you want real fantasy, go and read the underrated real fantasy books in the library or something. Plus Harry Potter (himself) is more unlikable than the popularity itself, and I am not a bible-thumping person either.

14. Death Note - Yawn...boring and slow...

15. Cars movie - all I can say is just...WTF...
-------------------
How about yours? Would you like to try?

Magna

Come on, mainstream stuff doesn't have to be horrible. To me Full Metal Alchemist is an amazing anime. But of course I know everyone likes different things ^^
My like list is too big, and can be found on my LiveJournal under interests <3
2 things I hate:
Harry Potter
Gackt
And the reason is NOT that there are a lot of fans, I just dislike them.
I try not to think of what I hate, and just continue with what I love.

Seriously, the only thing that worries me is that this topic may lead to bashing and arguments over some things >.>

Elecmon

Naruto - I agree it being mainstream takes away from it like ability, but I like the characters and action way too much to not like it.

Bleach: Way better than Naruto. The reason it, as well as other animes, are mainstream is because it's good. This series is action packed and fun to watch. I have yet to find a character I didn't like.

Digimon: It's why I'm here right?

Video Games: Never a dull moment, always fun, except for some. I love RPGs.

Fantasy books: As long as it has swords and magic I will probably like it.

Abridged series's: Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh abridged are probably the funniest things on the internet. I would rather watch them than the real anime.

Swords: I'm a collector. There are so many types and they are all fun to play with.

Family Guy: Crude American humor, I love it. Fart jokes for everyone!

Magic The Gathering: I love this game. If you've never played think Yu-Gi-Oh, with a mature rating and many more complex rules, and actually fun.

Guitar Hero: This is a very fun party game. O don't care how dorky I look this game is always fun to play.

So-So:
Yu-Gi-Oh: It was okay at first and it provided something for my friends and me to talk about at school. After a while it got tireing and I stopped watching.

Harry Potter: The books are okay, I stopped reading them. The movies are really well done, and worth watching.

Star Wars: I like the movies and the games are okay, but they went too far by making prequels and it kinda ruined the series.

Pokemon: I love the games, but the series has gone on way to much and they need to end it.

Dislikes:
Fanboys/girls: They piss me off so much. No matter what you can't get a word in edge wise wit them. They are so narrow minded.

Full Metal Alchemist: I could never get into the show. It was so boring to watch for me.

Paris Hilton: She is the most annoying person on TV right now. She gets ore face time on the news for going to jail than 9/11 got news time. She had influenced girls worldwide to act like s**ts.

Slow internet: I have cable internet, and I never want to touch a 56k modem computer another day in my life.

Digimon Frontier: The only Digimon series I actually dislike. I didn't like the characters and the idea of becoming a Digimon didn't appeal to me.

Mean people: I just don't like them...

veemontamer

I tame V-mons 4 a living
Veemontamers Mainstream List

1.Rottweilers - I am so sick and tired of people saying that these dogs are vicious and ruthless. It depends on how you train them OK? I mean really people, they can be little bouncing buddles of joy just like any other dog! I luv Rottweilers to shreds.

2. Huskies My second Fav. breed of dog. Probably why i like gaomon so much.

3. The color Black/or dark blue - I'm not goth or anything but i really like the color black. or A very dark blue. with a a pair of white shoes and i'm set

4. Digimon - #1 fav anime!!! Savers>Tamers>Adventure/Adventure 02 (tie)

5.Dragonball Z (NOT dragonball or GT) - 2nd fav Anime (wow i ONLY watch two anime 0_o") yeah I will agree that the story takes way to long to progress. which is why windows media player comes in handy:D
But if you look at the series as a whole some characters (OK very few) Had a LOT of character development. If you look at the start then the end their are twist you have NEVER expected. I enjoy how select charters switched from dark to light. But take into consideration were never really evil to begin with more of a rouge type. meh, all opinions aside, in all honesty i only watch the show for like 3 characters. The tenkaichi budokai Games are pretty fun tho. I can hardly wait for # 3 to come out.

6.J-pop/J-rock - I like J music alot better than the crap we have over her in the US. J- music is so inspirational and talks about over coming your self and obsticals and stuff. while in the use "shake your a**, Get low, get drunk, sex sex sex, money money money hoes hoes hoes blah blah blah," :rolleyes: I guess you can see what type of music i hate already.

7.Gospel music - Ahh on a lighter note!!! Some English music i actually do like.

SO-SO
I don't really have any SO-SOs I'm a pretty opinionated person I either hate it or like it. no in-between.

DISLIKES

1. POKEMON - It needs to come to an end NOW. why is it i go to JaCon and EVERYONE is playing D/P. Uggg.... enough already people. the monster designs are getting stale and old and the show in FACT has no IMPORTANT story progression. tho the ONLY thing pokemon i like as of currently is the music and season 1.

2. NARUTO - Uggg.... SO OVERRATED. WHY IS IT I GOT TO JACON the year before last and EVERYONE was wearing damn headbands!!!???! Me from an artist's stand point, yes the animation is nice at times. but come on people. I hate when some people make naruto AMVs and act like they actually accomplished sync with beat when in fact the animation ALREADY has lots of action in it to put with ANY beat. :rolleyes:
And I hate when people say naruto has nothing to do/and or is no way like DBZ. Umm... the artist of naruto even said he was a VERY big toriyama fan when he was little. SO yes their is ALOT of DBZ influenced stuff in naruto. AND DON"T SAY THEIR ISN'T. to me naruto was cool at first with all the ninja stuff but after awhile to me it just got dull. "let get stronger, train train train...." I mean come on I had to put up with that watching DBZ why would i want to go through it again with naruto and with weaker looking characters. Naruto fails to impress me. Everyone sais they look way cooler than DBZ but lets compare TIME PERIODS.*yells* OF COURSE NARUTO'S ANIMATION WILL LOOK BETTER THAN DBZ's... IT MORE RECENT. Dbz was like back in what?... the 1980 somethings... of course it will not look as great. tho i must say it was pretty darn good for it's time period. :p Naruto and me just don't mix well. I'll stick with my DBZ accompanied by windows media player (for LOTS of skipping purposes)

3. Rap Music/sterotypicalness - OK not ALL but most rap is abunch of worldly-ass crap (oh dear, here i am talking about worldliness but hear I am cussing:( ) Anyways.... But for real JUST because I am black and where tank tops and bandannas Don't mean i'm in a gang and HAVE to listen to Rap music. I were bandannas becuase i don't feel like fixing my hair up like most females. I don't tkae pride in my hair i take pride in my many OTHER skillz so LEAVE ME BE PEOPLE...:mad:

4. SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS - Utter no scene I hate it and i think sponge bob and patrick are GAY. I have nothing against Gay people actually about 2/3 of myfriends are gay/lesbian/bi but i'm straight (ironic 0_o"). But just seeing a "children's" show act it out is a bit creepy too me. on a complelty honest note I hate just about EVERYTHING on Nickolodeon/and diseny chanel

5. Scooby doo - really this is to ameraica what pokemon is to japan. It never ends and it's kinda non-scene. If i had a dog that AFRAID of things i would for real set it straight. FORCEFULLY.

6. APPLE MACS - I hate them to death, well not really hate them but i hate how people think they are above PCs. I'm tired of people saying they are better than PCs. NO they are not. It depends on what you do with them. "Macs are good with graphics and video" bullCRAP. at my school the art department their uses MACs and they run like crap. 3.0 gigahertz processor with 2 gigs of ram (that was my station cpu) and it can't run the ADOBE suite. Photoshop? programs unexpectantly close and it has trouble exporting big graphics? not to mention force quit 24/7 I have my compaq PC notebook that's only 1.6 gigahertz with 1 gig of DRR(something:p) ram and i can have photoshop, illustrator,firefox,vegas 7 (exporting video) and be watching a DVD with no slow down. I'm not sure if my processor anything to do with it tho (AMD turio64 mobile technology). And people that say "blah blah blah wouldn't that CRASH windows" NO windows crashes the majority of the time when it has IDIOT USERS who do'tknow what they are doing. Let's take my dad for example. Complains about harddrive space but yet he has like 6 DVD burning programs on thier at the SAME time (why the heck do you need MORE than one program on your PC that dose the same function). So NO MACs are NOT better. I know how to TAKE CARE OF MY WIDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM. cleaning temps defragging the HD check admistrative error logs so on so fourth.Maybe the Macs at school aren't properly taken care of I don't know. but I think pcs/macs stand on equal footing.

7. I hate smacking IT's ANNOYING CHEW QUIETLY PLEASE.

8. People who hate digimon ONLY for supposedly being a "rip-off" of pokemon.

9. I HATE BASEBALL CARDS (lol) but I luv family guy

10. little TOY dogs. miniature *fill in the blanks* and any OTHER miniature dogs. I went to my grandma's house today only to find that her son got a Chiwawa. A LITTLE rodent K-9 lookin thing. I admire the dog's courage and all but gosh darn, I could kick that thing out i window if i wanted to. I just prefer fuller-sized dogs. If someone broke into your house i really don't see them kicing a Rottweiler out a window. Unless they VERY strong legs or something:confused:

11. DIGIMON FRONTEIR - no i just ain't like it. the only reason O would watch it is for koji and THATS about it.

12. People TRYING to make me into an anime character/My reputation at school OK here we go... I'm short tempered, and intently focused on bettering my skills(drawing,AMVing etc.), lone-wolf type(to the point I will walk away from the class in art go to a corner pull my laptop out and don my work quietly in my world), Always have a serious (as some describe as angry or mad) look on my face,I'm not really mad I'm just constantly thinking, I really DON'T like team work I'd rather do stuff on MY OWN, with MY skil,l and MY own 2 hands, Most of my friendships start off as rivalries, And I stand with my arms crossed all the time. I picked THAT up from my dad. And on a couple of occasions (rarely, you have to get me VERY pissed off) I fight with people nearly kicking their behinds... And now instead of my name I earned a "NICE" new nick name... Vegeta. Really WTF?!?!?!? just because he's my favorite DBZ character and all don't mean I'm trying to be like him:confused:. I'm just being my-self. I walk across the room to sharpen a pencil and people just kinda move out of my way like i'm gonna blow the class up or something... Then we have my buds/others saying "don't mess with her she'll go SSJ on your a**" LOL i'm glad people don't mess with me but do others HAVE to make me sound so vicious:confused:
I am Me and no one else.:)

OK, ok... I think i'm done RANTING my OPINIONS now.
Elecmon;6994 said:
Mean people: I just don't like them...

Awww...it sucks you hate mean people. That means you must hate me . j/k lol:p. but really I'm practicing the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all" thing and according to some people i'm mean for minding my own bizness. -_-"

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
OK, I'll try:

DIGIMON, pretty obvious.
POKÉMON, (hate when people miss the accent on the E) I like both Pokémon and digimon. Don't hate me for it, I thing they're great for very different reasons, but I will not right them down because I don't know them myself.
Yu-Gi-Oh! (Duel Monsters), Great series throughout, though the first series played funny with the rules a bit.
Yu-Gi-Oh! (Duel Monsters) GX, OK, this series is a bit kiddy. I honestly don't care. What I do care about is 4Kids wrecking it. Can't wait for Haou Judai in English (Emperor Jaden?)
Black anything, like veemontamer I luv black. Almost my entire wardrobe is black (not goth, just like colour)
Kouji Wada, Nuf sed.
Harry Potter (books, not films), the films are ok, 5th was best but 4th was absolute rubbish!!!!
Nintedo! They are the most inventive Games company out there. Microsoft, Sega or Sony never made touch screen consoles, or the remote control do-icky.
Oranges: My passion (lol).
Wolves: lol.

SO-SO.

Uh...Cardcaptor Sakura?, I used to love that show (dub). But then I found that they only dubbed like half the eps.

DISLIKES AND LOATHES!

Naruto, OK, I'll be fair and say I'm sure it is ok, but my friend's (animé obsessives) are always telling me to watch it so I hate it on principle.
Sonic X: Too kiddy.
Spongebob Squarepants: *Shudder* *Shudder* *THUD* (fell on floor from shuddering)
Continuity.
Broccoli and Cauliflower (little trees)
Games consoles that aren't Nintendo. Nintendo was first and are inventive, the PS3 controller is exactly the same as PS1. And why the f**k do SONY Charge nearly £600 (<-- me british) for a console that only really bosts good graphics. And Microsoft should stuck with PCs.

Rant over.

Wanderer_D

Digi-lurker
... Lord of the Rings... overrated? O_O Perhaps all the hype from the film... or Christopher Tolkien (Git) but modern fantasy comes from it! I mean, granted Don Callander didn't get as much attention but...

Anyway, here goes:

Anime: I watch as many genres of Anime as there are. Most of the time I like it, sometimes I hate it. (But more on that later.)

Fantasy: More than 450 books in my personal collection and growing.

Martial Arts: Practice Kenjutsu. I don't feel I'm Kenshin, but I can do some nifty stuff with a katana :) Used to practice Karate and Kempo. I'm more of an enthusiast now-a-days than a real practitioner, but I'm taking an interest in Mu-Thai. Let's see what happens.

Music: I will listen to just about anything and will find a song I like... even from Tex-mex music. And yes, I like Koji Wada. (´nuff said.)

Food: Good food. Real tacos (not the american version) and real mexican food (so much goodness). French food (snails), japanese (Sashimi!), spanish (Almejas a la sartén)... etc.

Wine & some spirits: Not a big fan of whiskey, but Scottish is ok (mixed mostly), Cognac (fave mix = Grand Marnier + Martell vs.), fav wine: Gran Sangre de Toro, Absinthe (just... without water.)

Video games: RPGs mostly (Yes I do like KH and Final Fantasy.) I like FFVI more than FFVII and I have my reasons.

RPGs: Table-top mostly, Live Action is ok, but not my thing.

Dislikes:

Pokémon fans: (Hardcore only.)
Harry Potter fans: (Ditto. But I will punch ANYONE who calls anyone else a Muggle.)
Bluffers: Annoying little bastards. If you can't do what you say you can, don't say it at all.
Mac vs PC Adverts: Let's face it, at this point in time there is NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE.

(Aaand... I'll add some more stuff I hate later. Gotta go.)

Takayu Syaoran

The GoggleBoy is BACK!!
Go on, I'll give this a go.

Gotta have respect for what could be considered the pinnacle of Shonen Anime. And, it's OLDER than Dragonball and still going today.
Personally I can't wait for the Hades Chapter Elysion in December.
This is the only anime ever to tie with me to...

Digimon. Quite obvious since I'm here. My show order goes:
Savers>Adventure>Frontier>Tamers>Adventure 02
Digimon had me hooked ever since I first saw Tai and Matt beat the heck out of each other because of TK. It was at that point I stopped being a Pokétard and realised that is wasn't the knock off all the kids at school said it was.

Nanami.
If you need me to explain this then you obviously haven't been paying attention. Though, I am dreading when Data Squad is released an all this new fandom for her pops up. She was mine first, damnit! And if I had the power, I'd canonize it! xD

Zeruda no Densetsu:
Ah, The Legend of Zelda.
A timeless classic.
Boomerangs, Bombs, Dungeons, Magic Swords, Puzzles, Green Tunics and in-depth storylines.
What more could you ask for in a game?

Yu-Gi-Oh!
I play the card game. And am one of the few people that actually prefers Genex to the original series.
To me, GX was refreshing as the entire show wasn't based on ancient magic, and villains trying to steal a necklace.
Only in GX can you zombify the entire school, transport it to a different Dimension, battle Duel Monsters and then face off against a hermaphroditic Duel Spirit given to you by your father that was once your favourite card.
And still have time to learn about Atemu and the Shadow Games in class.

And to the contray of what Mitch was saying. Originally the card game was only meant to be a subplot, but Kazuki Takahashi gave into the fans demand for the game to play a bigger role in the story.

So, the original intent of Yu-Gi-Oh! was not always meant to be a hobby anime.

Dislikes:
Pokémon TV Series
Repetitive bull with no actual storyline or progression of character development.

Beyblade:
Every season is the exact same thing here too.
World Tournament.
Evil wants to clone bit-beasts somehow.
Kai turns against the group.
Evil is beaten.
Kai rejoins.
Breakers win Tournament.

Overrated:
Naruto. 'Nuff said.