MKV to DVD?

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
MKV to DVD?

Is it even possible to put MKV files on DVD? I've looked into it and the internet says yes, however the steps it says makes nearly to no sense and requires about fifty different programs to do it. Do I have to change them into a different format or is there an easier way to just drop them into a program a hit "burn" like I already do with AVIs and MPGs? I need to get these vid files off of my computer and I'd rather see them in an actual DVD rather than just a data CD.

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Fifty programs is a bit... many. ^^;

I have never done this before, but basically, if you want to do this in the most easy way, just convert the MKVs into AVIs or MPEGs, then use whatever program that you use to burn AVIs into DVD.

One of the program that I recommend is Mediacoder. It can be obtained from the below site:
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

It's a great program that can convert from tons of file types to yet another tons of file types, and vice-versa. And it's simple to use too. Just toying with it for a few hours and you will start converting with no problem.

But one thing to watch out is the soft subtitles in the MKVs. I repeat that I have never done this before, but I think if the MKV files have multiple soft sub in it, it might select the first one. Just be careful when you batch converting them...

Tcatomon

Hot damn.. this is definately one of the better converters I've seen. However I can't get the frames and sound to sync up despite they're fine on the MKV. o.0; What settings do you usually flip around? frame rate? Sound sounds fine at least.
Plus it only seems to code out the first ten minutes... erk

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Tcatomon;70933 said:
However I can't get the frames and sound to sync up despite they're fine on the MKV. o.0;

Most probably the file is a vfr file... I currently don't have any vfr files to encode with...

Tcatomon;70933 said:
What settings do you usually flip around? frame rate? Sound sounds fine at least.

Actually not many settings need to be adjusted. Only things such as bitrate can be adjusted to suit your taste. And also the mode is recommended to be 2 passes.

About frame rate, just right click on the file you added and view the information. The frame rate should be the same as written there so that the frames won't be jerky.

Tcatomon;70933 said:
Plus it only seems to code out the first ten minutes... erk

Check the settings in the time tab

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
TBH, it's better to just encode to standard XviD using VirtualDub than using any of these random other encoders. You'll want to demux the MKV, and then use AviSynth to get a CFR...

Tcatomon

Gah, I think I'm going to have to re-install it again, I changed something and now it's erroring out on me. @_@
What's the general time it takes to transcode on a 30 minute episode?

Makoto;71001 said:
TBH, it's better to just encode to standard XviD using VirtualDub than using any of these random other encoders. You'll want to demux the MKV, and then use AviSynth to get a CFR...

And make sure the Fluxcapacitor is fluxing? >_>;;