Megaman Original, Battle Network or Starforce?

MegaBly101

Some Guy
Megaman Original, Battle Network or Starforce?

Well my last thread got locked (damn you spammers) time to start up a new one.

As the name suggests which do you think is the better Megaman series, this includes original Megaman which consists of classic, X and Zero, ZX series and legends all in one (being that they happen in the same timeline and all have relevance to each other, but feel free to state which is your favorite within the timeline). Battle network, from 1 to 6, Battle chip challenge, Network Transmission and the DS network 5 (once again feel free to state which is your favorite of them all) and Starforce which at the moment only consists of two games (network and starforce may be on the same timeline but since no reference is made to link each other in game i have put them separately).

So thats Original, Battlenetwork and Starforce Megaman, which one is your favorite and possibly which is your favorite within that series.

No references to the animes, i don't care how much you like them or whether its what got you into the games, this is purly game based.

Preferably post your reasons why, discuss, argue but dont spam.

Ill start off with my opinion, i prefer the battle network series overall because basically i enjoyed the battle system and storyline. Even though i played original megaman first it wasnt really that important at the time, when MMBN 1 came out i then started playing the rest of the original megaman games up to the zero series because thats how much i enjoyed it. MMBN 3 happens to be my favorite for reasons i don't even know why, it just appealed to me a lot more than the others. Second to that is actually megaman Zero 2 for the GBA because you get to slash things :) . As for Starforce i still dont think it has enough storyline to it, character development in game is spot on but there still isn't enough material for me to base a firm conclusion on for myself.

Take it away fellow peers.

Trivial

Okay, i will be the first replier
Don't worry, i will not spam

First, let's see those 3 at once
Classic = 2 dimension gameplay
BN, SF = 3 dimension gameplay

But, there are some difference between BN and SF and the most significant is at the battle system
While Classic, has its own style on that old style of 2 dimension gameplay

But at average, all are fun to be played

If i were to choose, i prefer Star Force among all of those 3
Why? Since it's the modest one and somehow i can do it
BN persist with 2 dimensional gameplay in battle sequence, and i hate it.
While Classic, i can't play it since i'm bad on 2 dimensional gameplay include the others like ZX, ZXA, Zero

Yuri

YUUURRRRIIII LOWELLLLLLLL
My rating: Battle Network>Ryuusei/Star Force> Original
Battle Network had good plots and fun gameplay. So many battlechips to use, and many areas to explore. Star Force is second because it's just not as good as Battle Network. They both had good plots and good gameplay, but Star Force is lacking something I don't know what.
Lastly, Original. Maybe it's because I utterly failed at the games, but I just didn't think it was really good, just good.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Battle Network hands down. RPG that perfectly balances questing and battling, the first three are genuinely challenging (especially that darn IceMan puzzle in the first one!), and the most unique battle concept I've ever seen. Plus the "physical internet" aspect threw MegaMan into the current generation brilliantly. The Battle Network series is in my top ten favorite video games ever.

StelarSX

Jack In!
Ryuusei all the way!
I do agree that the BN Battle System Graphics were better but like Ryuusei's Battle System much better! (Even if it doesn't have good Battle Graphics...)
It's hard for me to explain why I lke Ryuusei over EXe...maybe just because it's awesomer and has original ideas!

Roy

Because its Roy^.^
I liked Battle Network the most because it had awsome carecters, the best battle system (my opinion) and it hadbetter sprites for comics ^.^
Oh each, there has been a referance putting Ryuusei in the network time line: In the first game at the Junkyard there was a big stack of PETs that were thrown out. Also Megaman.exe appers in game so that infers that there on the same storyline

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Keep in mind, that Ryuusei and EXE are the same timeline...

So if you want to separate them, you might as well separate the original timeline as well.

So, if we want to do that, then:

Zero > ZX > EXE > RnR > X > Original

Yeah... The original isn't fast paced enough for me... I want a dash button! XD

Also, yet more proof that RnR is the X of the EXE series: Boss names are in the style of X, not of the original Rockman...

Rendan

Missed <3
EXE > RnR > ZX > *insert everything else*

It is definitely hard picking between Star Force and Battle Network. They feel so similar that it really seems like the same series. ZX is nice, but I'm an RPG gamer, so arcade games and I don't really get along well.

I also feel that Battle Network is more difficult than Star Force, which definitely influences my decision. I like a good challenge. I would rather waste an hour and a half trying to pull off Silver Bullet against Colonel Omega than try to make a Best Combo to beat Dragon Sky SP.

Just my thoughts...~

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Zero > X > ZX

Everything else is .. pleh.

Why? For one I started with Zero 1, and worked through X as the Zero games kept coming. ZX kept the same style that I enjoyed, but kept it..different. Classic, while while not on the list. is fun, but frustrates the heck out of me since I didn't "grow up" with Rockman games. I prefer the later ones (6 - 8).

Also... I suck total bum with X and Mega's buster D: *waves a saber around wildly*

I've played a bit of EXE and Legends and couldn't get into either of them. I don't like the style or the battle system. I watched the first 50 something episodes of the EXE anime before it got too much of a hassle to keep up with. (However Forte.exe = win). I've no intentions of trying to get into Ryuusei. Like I said, not my style of gaming. Like the action and free form whacking things with sabers.

On the other hand I'm rather bias to the X/Zero timeline to begin with. I've RPed in it nearly every night since 2003, then there's RtS.. so I'd probably consider it a second reality for me. Sad, I know, but the true reality sucks, so... XD

All in all I don't hate the other series.. I just like X/Zero/ZX a whooooole lot better. Zero 3 ftw.

Zags

Wannabe DigiDestined
I've never played Zero or X or the original. (Don't be hatin' ^^;) ZX and ZXA are amazing though and I love EXE and RnR too. I've just never really played them in close enough a timeframe to decide which one I like over the other. Though I think I'd pick RnR as top. It's got similar gameplay to EXE but with a better battle system and card selection system too. (Hurrah no more annoying chip codes)

MegaBly101

Some Guy
Role;33253 said:
Keep in mind, that Ryuusei and EXE are the same timeline...

So if you want to separate them, you might as well separate the original timeline as well.

So, if we want to do that, then:

Zero > ZX > EXE > RnR > X > Original

Yeah... The original isn't fast paced enough for me... I want a dash button! XD

Also, yet more proof that RnR is the X of the EXE series: Boss names are in the style of X, not of the original Rockman...

RnR and EXE are in the same timeline i know that. But no relevance in game is made to each other (aside from the gateway event if you have a MMBN game in ur GBA slot, which really isnt part of the story) so i keep them seperatly. X, Zero and ZX have extreme relevance to each other hence the bio metal models and they are still going down the same story line (reploids vs mavericks) while RnR isnt really. But by all means like i said originally feel free to elaborate your favorite anyway.

Edit: Moving on, regarding zero games, hell yeah saber whacking ftw, thats why zero 3 is my favorite next to MMBN 3 (something to do with the number 3 maybe) i didnt really like zero 1 and 2 because they gave me hassel to complete, bad experience with them and got really frustrated. As for RnR i saw someone say its not much of a challenge, i beg to differ on just two occasions, pegasus magic SP and Andromeda with 4000 hit points, it took me ages to beat those (im very much against the pause cheat and stopped using it since MMBN 2) so yeah but that might be because i suck in general

PrimoPiccolo

Subaru Stelar said:
I lke Ryuusei over EXe...maybe just because it's awesomer and has original ideas!
Gah, you act as though Battle Network was nothing more than a remake of the original. MegaMan in an RPG was original, the whole internet thing was original, the battle mechanics were incredibly original, and nearly all of the human characters were original. Yes, the Navi names and various histories were rehashes, but the new far outweighed the old.

I don't have a problem with you preferring Star Force, but using Battle Network's 'lack of originality' as a reason sells the series unfairly short.

MegaBly101

Some Guy
agree with primo piccolo there, i remember my friend showing me MMBN 1, he was fighting protoman at the time and having problems (due to shit chips, ofc i didnt know that then) and it seemed like this really challenging game, not to mention the battle system seemed to be the best idea (and most original) for a battle system implemented on the GBA, all the others like final fantasy tactics, castlevania, pokemon, megaman zero etc.. at the time seemed inferior in comparison, for me it was extremely well thought out. So basically i was like zomg imba battle system must buy the game, 2 days after i bought it MMBN 2 came out, so all in all was good timing for me to start

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
MegaBly101;33359 said:
RnR and EXE are in the same timeline i know that. But no relevance in game is made to each other (aside from the gateway event if you have a MMBN game in ur GBA slot, which really isnt part of the story) so i keep them seperatly. X, Zero and ZX have extreme relevance to each other hence the bio metal models and they are still going down the same story line (reploids vs mavericks) while RnR isnt really. But by all means like i said originally feel free to elaborate your favorite anyway.

Edit: Moving on, regarding zero games, hell yeah saber whacking ftw, thats why zero 3 is my favorite next to MMBN 3 (something to do with the number 3 maybe) i didnt really like zero 1 and 2 because they gave me hassel to complete, bad experience with them and got really frustrated. As for RnR i saw someone say its not much of a challenge, i beg to differ on just two occasions, pegasus magic SP and Andromeda with 4000 hit points, it took me ages to beat those (im very much against the pause cheat and stopped using it since MMBN 2) so yeah but that might be because i suck in general

Uh, you do remember that giant pile of PeT's in the dump in the first game, right? That's what made me realize they're the same timeline.

PrimoPiccolo

Role said:
Uh, you do remember that giant pile of PeT's in the dump in the first game, right? That's what made me realize they're the same timeline.
And with RnR 2's pages of Netto's diary, we've concrete proof. :)

MegaBly101

Some Guy
fair dos, i only seperate them because this happens to be a forum of RnR, and besides its so far along, cant remember how much but still i dont mind.

Trefender

Fudan Staff
Also, if you have a Battle Network game in your DS when playing StarForce there are some extras that you can obtain that are directly from Battle Network. I won't spoil.

However, on topic. I haven't played the original/ZX/etc. group. I have played a couple of Megaman Battle Network games, and I've play StarForce. Of those last two gorup I much prefer StarForce. The characters and plot are both much more compelling right off. In terms of gameplay the new battle system is more fun, the 3D look of the battle system is better than the old 2D system (for those that don't know me I'm a fan of 2D over 3D), and it made some good use of the DS's touch screen features (I suppose Battle Network did naturally have this disadvantage right off because it couldn't but DS touchscreen use can also be deterimental so it should balance).

StelarSX

Jack In!
MegaBly101;36091 said:
fair dos, i only seperate them because this happens to be a forum of RnR, and besides its so far along, cant remember how much but still i dont mind.

Actually...this is a Rockman Forum. Just check the front page, it says Rockman not Ryuusei no Rockman