[Japanese] Request for some Japanese help

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
[Japanese] Request for some Japanese help

My school's going to be hosting some 14 girls who are sophomores or juniors from Oki Gakuen of Japan... I think my school is like the "sister" school.

Anyways I was hoping someone (or others) could help me come up with a list of words/phrases that some of the hostesses should know and be able to pronounce.

I'm applying to be a hostess and as the president of the Club that kinda "appreciates the Japanese culture" I was hoping I could get some help. This year we don't exactly have anyone who IS or KNOWS Japanese fluently so I was hoping for some help.

Also, if you have any idea of what kind of gifts people should give them (Beef jerky does not seem that great right now), that too would be appreciated.

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
What does a hostess do, exactly? I can't help while this is a vague area.

Perhaps you can look up things about the land where Oki Gakuen is and ask them questions about their hometown.

Small trinkets would be nice; like keychains or the like. Something that can be held in the hand. I wouldn't recommend food, unless you plan to eat out with them some time.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Kage;15144 said:
Also, if you have any idea of what kind of gifts people should give them (Beef jerky does not seem that great right now), that too would be appreciated.

Whatever you do, do not give them white flowers (a sign of death), they usually appreaciate a small present (you know, box, wrapping paper, ribbon). Do you know the gender of the person you're hosting?

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Er they're all girls and we're only taking them around our school for the day. ^^; Like we bring them to a few of our classes... eat with them at lunch...

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
Pazuzu;15172 said:
Hopefully not the same as hostesses in Japan. >_>

That's what I first thought, too. xD

Hmm, perhaps...
gakkou no inshou wa dou desu ka (what is their impression of the school)
[or if you don't want to talk about school, replace 'gakkou' with something else]

-- nihon to chigaimasu ka (is it different from japan)
[this question works with a variety of other American-centered subjects]

kenbutsu dekimashita ka (asking if they've gone sightseeing)

-- (the name of so and so notable landmark in your state, if they HAVE gone sightseeing) wo mi ni ikimashita ka (have you gone to see so and so place)

eigo ga hanasemasu ka (asking if they can speak English; you never know)

That's about what my tired brain can muster up right now. It's hard to think of more since conversation is never really planned out; normally I'd just suggest that you keep yourself open to whatever subject is thrown at you, but it's true it doesn't hurt to be ready... Can you think of other words/phrases you can see yourself talking about, or wanting to talk about?

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I did think of the eigo line (honestly need to like memorize this...).

We also thought of the "Tanonshinderu?" which this book said "Are you having a good time?" And then hopefully we can tell if they're not.

I kinda DO want to talk about anime, to at least see if there's some common ground but I don't think that'd be appropriate. ^^;

Actually, what type of honorific should I use to address them? -san?

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
It doesn't hurt to ask them about anime though. :p You can bring it up at the lunch table if you want.
--anime/manga ga suki desu ka?
--donna anime/manga ga suki desu ka? (what kind of anime/manga do you like?)
--hoka no shumi ga arimasu ka? (do you have any other hobbies?)

Yeah, -san should be okay, unless they indicate otherwise. Maybe they'll like it if the hostesses came up with easier-to-remember English nicknames for them, if you have trouble with Japanese names. If you do decide to do this, you can ask,
-- eigo no namae wo tsukete mo ii ka na? (can I give you an english name?)
-- [english nickname] tte dou desu ka? (how about [english nickname]?) (as a succeeding line if they'd answered positive to the "eigo no namae" question)
or
-- [english nickname] tte yobaretemo ii desu ka? (can I call you [english nickname]?) (this question can either be used separate from or as a succeeding line for the "eigo no namae" question)
With an immediate followup of these two sentences if it looks like they're not exactly pleased with it:
-- hontou ni ii desu ka? (Are you sure?)
-- iya nara kamaimasen yo (I won't get upset if you don't like it)
Since most Japanese hide their true thoughts if they think it'll offend... ^^;

--anou, meeru tomodachi ni natte mo ii desu ka? (can we be e-mail buddies?) (If you find someone you really hit it off with :3)
Japan says "meeru" (japanified way of saying "mail") for "e-mail" so be sure to say "meeru" without an e-prefix, so as not to confuse them.

In case they ever give a little something as a gift to you:
--arigatou (gozaimasu)! taisetsu ni shimasu (thank you! I'll treat it with care)
I put "gozaimasu" as an optional add-on, since it'll depend on how emotionally close you are with your new friend at that point. Some may think that the "gozaimasu" is too formal between girls of the same age, or if they're younger than you.

Stuff said at the end of the day:
--o ai dekite ureshii desu (I'm happy to be able to meet you)
--kyou wa tanoshikatta desu (I had a good time today)
--o ki wo tsukete kaette kudasai ne! (please get home safely)

Sorry it's gotten complicated. ^^; Ask me if I haven't made myself clear on something.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
!!! Thank you thank you thank you SO SO much! I feel bad as the President of a Club for honestly not knowing the language...

The clarifications for when things can be used are going to be extremely helpful. Thank you once again!

Also, can someone explain why some "ne" sounds sound like 'na' sounds?

Like this one book seems to be saying to pronounce "ja ne" as "ja nee" or "neigh" but I've heard it like "ja nah!" @_@

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Not sure if I'm right...and I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't, but I think it might have something to do with the speaker's accent or either "na" is a bit casual. I've heard it too, but I never thought to ask myself. Maybe "na" is informal...very informal, sorta like "da".

*waits to be corrected*

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
Kage;15355 said:
Also, can someone explain why some "ne" sounds sound like 'na' sounds?

Like this one book seems to be saying to pronounce "ja ne" as "ja nee" or "neigh" but I've heard it like "ja nah!" @_@

"na" is usually the casual manly man sound, while "ne" is all-purpose. I think the book wanted to clarify that you shouldn't pronounce "ja ne" as it's written, because intonation is also part of speaking.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
onkeikun and everyone else who put some helpful input~~~ THANK YOU SO MUCH

I had so much fun and there was only like 2-3 times today where I was like... ????? ... WTF... XD Much so during lunch when my friend's buddy gave me a second gift. Still had trouble with email especially because "japanese girls don't usually remember their emails" and something like not computer internet email... They were really happy when I said "Arigatou Gozaimasu. Taisetsu ni shimasu."

And they kept saying "sugoi" and the... word for cool "kakoii?" :3 Especially when we tried speaking Nihongo and showed them previous gifts from Oki Gakuen. And Anime/Manga/JDorama/JPop were hits with my friend's buddy and mine. So much so when I mentioned liking Yamapi I got another gift :3

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I ended up using a lot of small fan japanese like "Iku?" a lot but they seemed really happy with what I could do.

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
I'm glad it worked out and that you had fun! :DD

They probably felt very nervous in a foreign place, so just being able to communicate like you'd planned set them at ease. It was a good idea. ^^