[HOW!?] MKV to AVI

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Popoman;8221 said:
How can I convert some MKV videos to AVI videos?
Thanks to all

Hmm, I had a link to a video converter that would do the trick, but I don't know whwre it is offhand...I'll try and find it this weekend.

Popoman

Hagaren Gao;8249 said:
Hmm, I had a link to a video converter that would do the trick, but I don't know whwre it is offhand...I'll try and find it this weekend.
Thanks, can you send to me by PM?

Geo

For mkv files u need VLC Player..or it's some plugins that read mkv files..

Use VLC cuz it's easier..just google it

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
Geo;9240 said:
For mkv files u need VLC Player..or it's some plugins that read mkv files..

Use VLC cuz it's easier..just google it
That doesn't help if you want to burn the files onto a DVD so that you can watch it on a DVD player or away from your computer. At least .avi is compatible with most programs where you can burn the files as DVD. This is the main reason why I dislike .mkv files.

nezucho

<b>Encoder</b><br>Resident Rodent
hi, the easiest thing would be to open the mkv in virtualdubmod and save it as avi, but use diriect stream copy to prevent any quality loss. hope that helps. <o

Lionessmon

I despise mkv. it takes so much effort to get it to play and it cannot be used to make a DVD. Any video converter solved the problem for me. Its free too. Just google it.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
My opinion is that - mkv is a newer superior container compared to avi, but because it's newer it's less supported, you can do many things with mkv including integrated softsub - however if no mkv features are used avi should be used only for compatibility reasons. You CANNOT properly put h264 - the superior codec - in avi. Well... you can but it's an ugly hack and hacks in the eye of the developers - a big headache.
I recommend SUPER, a free piece of video/audio converter. You can convert the video to mpeg2 directly - suitable for putting in the DVD ( make sure you use the flv_2_DVD profile which comes with it - it doesn't matter if the input is not flv )

Akaku

コード・ブルー
nezucho;9244 said:
hi, the easiest thing would be to open the mkv in virtualdubmod and save it as avi, but use diriect stream copy to prevent any quality loss. hope that helps. <o

I would go with Nezzie's way, its much easier. Believe me.

That's how i make my DQ Workraws XD

Joey actually introduced me to Super, and while it is a great program indeed, it didn't save every ounce of quality i wanted, which V-dub mod did. Trust me, it's much better andn easier, well at least imo.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
I guess I mixed up SSJ Jup81 with Popoman thinking he wants to burn it to DVD. If I got you correctly - VDubmod does direct stream copy something which SUPER does too (but it's not its purpose). Anyway I use what I feel like using :)