GCSEs

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
GCSEs

Has anybody been doing their GCSEs recently? The english (dunno if other countries use them) 15/16 year olds big exam. I finished today with History (1920's+1930's america and Nazi germany). I'm just so happy it's all over, anybody else done them recently/still doing them?

neochu

FUZZY~~
GCSE is not the SAT. Its completely different. SAT is for college and post secondary and taken in the final year of school. GCSE determines the rest of your high school and eventually your life and is taken in grade 10/11. It has a far greater implication than the SAT ever will (you screw up on the GCSE your basically comitted to the streets for life)

Aside from my own rants. I wouldn't know how many people are from the UK here. My best advice not knowing how they work is to just study as much as you can and dont give up until its done.

conankudo4

Detective Conan God
...Definitely don't have those here (americans are too stupid to have a test that determines our entire student career)

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Wow, I didn't realise american's didn't have the big exams that affect their whole life too. We have SATs over here too but only up to the 13/14 years old's year (don't know american grade system).

Timewitch

I don't know either of the english or the american system, but in Greek high schools we have final exams on every subject in the end of each year. The quality and region of the university we go depends on the results of the last year's final exams, which is the next year for me. Today I finished with this year's finals. I think I did pretty good, at least at the subjects that I consider important.

Yuki2

Hearts Beywiki
neochu;2170 said:
GCSE is not the SAT. Its completely different. SAT is for college and post secondary and taken in the final year of school. GCSE determines the rest of your high school and eventually your life and is taken in grade 10/11. It has a far greater implication than the SAT ever will (you screw up on the GCSE your basically comitted to the streets for life)

To me, you seem angry over this...
And if you screw up on SATs, you can end up working at some fast-food restaurant for the rest of your life, too. SATs are incredibly important for your life after High School, so don't go saying/implying that they are as important as those damn 'icebreaker activities' at the beginning of the school year.

conankudo4;2175 said:
...Definitely don't have those here (americans are too stupid to have a test that determines our entire student career)

I agree. Can you imagine americans having a test like that? *shudder*

Johnzaloog;2236 said:
Wow, I didn't realise american's didn't have the big exams that affect their whole life too. We have SATs over here too but only up to the 13/14 years old's year (don't know american grade system).

What? 8th graders taking SATs? *faints* (yes, 13-14 year olds are 8th graders, 14-15 year olds are 9th graders, etc.)

Timewitch;2258 said:
I don't know either of the english or the american system, but in Greek high schools we have final exams on every subject in the end of each year. The quality and region of the university we go depends on the results of the last year's final exams, which is the next year for me. Today I finished with this year's finals. I think I did pretty good, at least at the subjects that I consider important.

We kinda do that, at least at middle school they did...it probably depends on the district you live in.

Elecmon

In my schools, we have to take the SAT and the ACT, as well as the Sate testing every year whcih determines where we are placed every year. We also do Finals at the end of every semester, which also goes to determining a students placement for the next year.

gerjomarty

<b>Quality Check</b><br>Resident Gatomon Fanboy
I'll be finished my A-Levels on Tuesday. They're the exams after GCSEs that decide which University you can get in to. Horrible exams, but luckily we've found them easy enough this year.

But Johnzaloog, I'm thankful they're over for you. I did 11 subjects for GCSE, and so ended up doing about 25-30 exams in all. It's pretty much constant for about 2-3 weeks in May/June. Not very fun at all.

tetron

Quality Check<br>rawr inc.
I thought 8th graders take those specialized exams to get into the best high schools..(oh wait that might only be in New York areas...)

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
gerjomarty;2282 said:
But Johnzaloog, I'm thankful they're over for you. I did 11 subjects for GCSE, and so ended up doing about 25-30 exams in all. It's pretty much constant for about 2-3 weeks in May/June. Not very fun at all.

Cough, 25-30?!?! I had 15, the most anybody had that I met had 18. Poor you.

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Yuki2;2263 said:
And if you screw up on SATs, you can end up working at some fast-food restaurant for the rest of your life, too. SATs are incredibly important for your life after High School, so don't go saying/implying that they are as important as those damn 'icebreaker activities' at the beginning of the school year.

Uhm... yeah, they're important if you want to go to Yale or Harvard and to become a doctor. Colleges and Universities only want a pay cheque and a passing grade on SAT or ACTs to get in. They're not important for anything else. I don't even KNOW what I got on mine.

It's like saying your perminant record affects anything in your adult life. They're not "incredibly important", they're a stupid way of standardized testing to tell the government that your state/county isn't a bunch of retarded monkeys.

tetron;2372 said:
I thought 8th graders take those specialized exams to get into the best high schools..(oh wait that might only be in New York areas...)
Depends on how many high schools you have in the area, what they specialize in and what high school will get you into what college/university after said high school. In most back water places (like here) there's only one or two high schools. There's no "high/middle/low class/Private/Catholic." schools, there's just... school. Period. So testing for something like that really doesn't matter.
I do miss the french schools though. My french is so rusty down here. -_-