Forum shoutbox - yes or no?

Kaeri

Title for Rent
We had enough issues with past server problems and although we're on a new server now, I'd hate for those problems to reappear. So my vote is no, for now. if there was a way to keep the shoutbox overally clean of spam and issues of that sort, my opinion may change however.

Constrictor

Spirit Evolution
I think this is resolve.

I vote no for same reason as Splash. Go IRC or just post is fine. Because DATS.US is big community so shout box gonna use up lot of resource due to SPAM in shout box.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Joey;24699 said:
Yeah, we already have IRC and the forums, I don't see the point in that. :x

Correction: You have a locked (staff only) IRC that is used, and an unlocked IRC that nobody goes to but me, evidently. And THEN you have the forums.

I vote yes for chatbox, then I'll at least be able to talk to people in pseudo-real time.

Rein

The Mysterious Stranger
Role has a point as no one ever chats in the non-staff IRC channel. Plus, with the recent development of spamming, a shoutbox will stop that altogether!

Thirdmaster

Hourai Doll
I agree that a shoutbox is better. No one probably uses the chat function since it's like going a big round just to have a talk. A shoutbox is more convenient.

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Thirdmaster;33068 said:
I agree that a shoutbox is better. No one probably uses the chat function since it's like going a big round just to have a talk. A shoutbox is more convenient.

There are millions of people on it, and just because you ignorant little spammers can't learn how to use IRC, it's not our problem. Don't use the forum as a chat room, learn to use IRC and then talk in #DATS .

We can't just /get/ a shoutbox. It takes up resources which we don't feel is necessary to have since IRC is perfectly fine.

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
Well, not everyone uses IRC, mind you. Just like some people don't use AIM, or some people won't switch to Vista. Having available options can be good.

Trivial

Once again, i vote for yes

I guess spamming would be less in the forum if shoutbox were made
Since some spammers would rather use the shoutbox to do some spam

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
If I remember correctly, there is an option that allows you to require registration...

Not exactly clear on how that would work, whether you have to sign into the chatbox or just the forum, but I think I remember that being an option back when I installed one in one of my old forums...

Though, it may have a charge for that... I'm not sure, it's been over a year.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
A million out of a million and one time someone installs a shoutbox, it's resource consuming.
Here's how IRC works
Code:
User sends message -> Server receives message -> Server sends message to user -> User receives message
Here's how a lot of shoutbox works
Code:
User sends message -> Server receives message -> Server stores the message
User queries the server for update every few seconds -> Server queries for new messages -> Server sends old and new messages to client
User queries the server for update every few seconds -> Server queries for new messages -> No new message -> Server sends old messages to client (most queries are like this)
An efficient shoutbox could work like this
Code:
User sends message -> Server receives message -> Server stores message -> Server write old and new messages to a file
Client queries the server for update every few seconds -> The server respond with pre-written file
Or an efficient shoutbox could work like IRC using flash socket

The problem with people not talking on IRC is that there's no people on that wants to talk or know that there are people who'd like to talk with them resulting in no discussion which results in the fact that no one here wants to go on IRC.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Well then make some big attempt to get people other than me on the IRC channel. Occasionally people from the staff channel come and keep me company for a few seconds, but usually I'm there alone, wishing I had someone to talk to.

Also, keep in mind, that not everyone can use IRC. Some people are restricted by thing such as parents, public access areas, etc... and cannot download and install IRC software.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Mibbit is your friend if you can't install IRC or isn't bothered. Anyhow this is a catch 22 situation and most people don't know IRC. I guess someone needs to make a tutorial...

EDIT: Mibbit just moved host, so trust needs to be re-established with Rizon for many people to connect to it.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
That would help. The main reason I support the chatbox is because I have nobody to talk to in IRC.

If we could actually get people to go there then I could care less about a chatbox.